Rubyrocks needs to quit Pristiq and Wellbutrin!

Rubyrocks

Hello!

I have been on antidepressants for the past ten years and am currently 38 years old. I suffered with depression since I was a teenager but resisted medications because I didn't want to lose myself. I got to a point in my life where I couldn't function and ended up taking the plunge. I have made many positive changes in my life over the years and feel that I have the skills to live chemical free. I'm tired of feeling tired all of the time and feeling like my creativity has been lost along the way. I'm also worried about what damage these drugs have done to me over the years. I just want to be me for a while and see how it goes.

Although I feel strong, I need help on this journey. What is the best way for me to discontinue my current meds of 50 mg Pristiq and 300 mg Wellbutrin? I see my psych in about a month and a half but want to get a head start so I can't be talked out of it! When I have discussed discontinuing meds in the past, I was told that it was not recommended for people who have had at least two serious depressive episodes, and that would be me! However, I am nowhere near the person that I used to be. I have found a way to look on the positive side of things and to be thankful for ME and the blessings that I have. I take care of myself now, and no longer smoke or drink. I have been exercising regularly since February 2011 by running and taking Zumba classes. I am also taking Turmeric and Omega 3 Fish Oils.

Peace. B)

Current - 50 mg Pristiq and 300 mg Wellbutrin XL

(for approximately three years)

Spent seven years prior on Effexor XR - various doses

(discontinued because I could no longer take the sexual side effects or afford it. I did experience severe withdrawal when I was without for a weekend)

Two months prior to this on Paxil

(discontinued because I became skeleton like and was wired)

I have taken Xanax and Ativan at various times throughout the years and quit without tapering or incident.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rubyrocks!

Sounds like you are in a great place to start reducing! Spend some time looking through the recommendations on this site to get together a plan -i am sure Alto will be along soon - but generally you would do one drug at a time. Pristiq is particularly difficult because of the enteric coating - maybe you could swap to effexor as it is capsulated and you can open the capsules and count or weigh out the little beads.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Love your name...

I sound like a broken record, but if you comb thru the site using the search box or just randomly reading posts you will find alot of members who have or are coming off the meds you are taking.

I have not taken either of them. I have taken the ssri route.

From all that I have read and experienced it is advisable to take the smallest cuts in dose and wait in-between drops in dose (3-4 weeks) before attempting another cut.

This helps reduce WD symptoms...and to see how much of a cut you can handle. The 10% reduction plan was far too much for me. There are many people here who do take more than one medication and can share info with you on that as well.

Nice to meet you,

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's a topic on tapering off of Pristiq under "Symptoms and what helps:"

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of good information and support on this forum.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi rubyrocks

Welcome to the site

Debbie x

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

Stable - Tapered Diazepam slowish.1st June 10mg Seroxat

2nd June 1mg Diazepam.15th June 9mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

2nd August 8mg/4ml Seroxat/Paxil 2nd August 1.5 ml Diazepam

18th Aug 2012 1ml Diazepam 1st - 5th Sept 0.5

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

• Administrator

Welcome, Rubyrocks.

We're still trying to figure out how to taper off Pristiq. (Jemima, thanks for posting the link to the tapering tips topic.)

Right now, looks like a switch to another drug is the way to do it. Alternating dosages is definitely not a good idea, and cutting up tablets seems questionable.

Why are you also on Wellbutrin? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the warm welcome all!!

I am taking Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety. I don't know much more than that. I let the Docs call the shots and am now paying the price. How pathetic that there isn't even a way to get off this crap!

I sleep way too much, and that's part of the reason I want off of this stuff. I do wake up with night sweats though, and I don't think I'm menopausal yet.

Do you think I should quit the Pristiq first since it's most likely to cause problems? I took a cut up dose yesterday and today and so far I'm doing well. I really don't want to start another drug that has it's own batch of side effects. At least now I know what I am dealing with. And, I had the most horrible withdrawls from not having Effexor for a weekend. I was sooooooo sick! I've missed a dose of Pristiq once or twice and felt know ill effects.

I am so glad to be here. I am so hopeful, but recognize that this is going to be a long and bumpy road.

(discontinued because I could no longer take the sexual side effects or afford it. I did experience severe withdrawal when I was without for a weekend)

I have taken Xanax and Ativan at various times throughout the years and quit without tapering or incident.

I just had a moment of clarity in the shower this morning. I was put on Wellbutrin to help with the sexual side effects of Effexor. It seemed to help for a while, but now I'm back to square one!

Enjoy your day!!!

• Administrator

It's good to hear you can sleep with all that noradrenergic activity from both Pristiq and Wellbutrin.

How much Pristiq did you take? Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

since pristiq is the 'cleaner' version of effexor - one could deduce that switching to effexor might help you get off pristiq as you can recapsulate the little beads into empty gel capsules. That way you can do a more accurate and slow reduction. If you get the brand effexor rather than the generic, there are lots of little bead inside - the generic ones have less beads and because the size of each bead varies the dosage in each bead may vary - with the smaller beads that difference is less. The enteric coating on pristiq is the main problem - hard to cut and once you have cut you have disturbed the slow release action and may need to dose half the amount twice a day....

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Very good points, thanks, Peggy.

So far so good!! I've taken half a tab of Pristiq for the past two days and no signs of discomfort yet!!!

• Administrator

Cross fingers that works for you, Rubyrocks.

It's been a great week. My mood has been positive and I haven't had any physical withdrawal symptoms. I'm sleeping soundly. I managed to get myself out of bed early to get my runs in before work and had my best time ever! My psych once told me that exercise was great for your brain and what scientists were trying to manufacture in antidepressant pills. I'm approaching my workouts as "medicine" and love that it doesn't cost me a cent! :D

• Administrator

Wow, that's great. Are you still taking a half tablet of Pristiq?

I'm still taking half of a tablet. It's been about two weeks now. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I was thinking I'd do the half of a tablet for another two weeks and then try a quarter tab and see how that goes. I've found myself to be a little sullen the last few days and introspective. That's typical for my "time of the month," so who knows. Death is far from my mind and I'm feeling physically well and very grateful for that!!

• Administrator

Did the stomach upset go away? What happened to the Wellbutrin?

It looks like the only way to taper Pristiq in a controlled way is to crush the tablet to powder and weigh doses with a digital scale.

Good to hear you're feeling well now.

Tummy is good! Still taking the Wellbutrin. Kicking one demon at a time! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm attempting a quartered tablet of Pristiq today. Wish me luck! ;)

• Administrator

How are you doing, RR?

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank all of you for your care and encouragement! I am still doing well and am not experiencing any withdrawal effects. Today is my first day with no Pristiq at all so I'm hoping my good fortune continues. I will be seeing my doctor on Wednesday and want to start working on getting off of the Wellbutrin in a few weeks. I'm curious to see what kind of advice she can give me. I'm still exercising and taking good care of myself which I believe has made all the difference in the world.

• Administrator

Good to hear, RR, please stay in touch.

How long did you take a quarter tablet of Pristiq? How did you go off the last part?

I started with the quarter tab on August 1st. I continued that until I stopped taking it altogether yesterday. I've been feeling a little "spacey" but have been able to function normally. I slept well, but had a strange experience. I woke up several times with an orgasm! Who knows what my poor brain is going through! I'm just glad that it's starting to heal. I will certainly keep in touch. :D

• Administrator

For a withdrawal symptom, that's not too bad.

A caution -- once you've had a bad experience with a psychiatric drug, it becomes more likely you'll have another if take something. If I were you, I'd avoid psychiatric drugs of all kinds in the future.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm just glad that it's starting to heal. I will certainly keep in touch. :D

Excellent, way to go.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I'm still making it without the Pristiq! I'm not quite as spaced out but I feel very flat and dull. I'm quitting this stuff to know who I am so it's a little scary. I'm used to being the peppy one, cracking jokes and making people laugh. I hope that wasn't just the medicine for these past ten years!

I saw my doctor today. She was supportive but not very helpful. She told me that taking Wellbutrin alone can cause anxiety which has always been a problem for me. She also commented that I was fidgeting more than usual. So I asked if she thought I should start weaning off of the Wellbutrin immediately. (I had planned to try it in a month or so once I stabilized from quitting Pristiq.) She said that she couldn't advise me about getting off of it. No tapering info whatsoever. She started writing out a script for 300mg of Wellbutrin which I currently take. I reminded her that I wanted to quit it and she scribbled out the prescription and prescribed twice as many 150 mg pills. She said that what I did with it was up to me. Really??!

So, I would really appreciate any info that anyone has about tapering Wellbutrin XL. I'm so thankful that this place exists. People who have never been on this stuff have no idea.

• Administrator

On one hand I am appauld that a doctor would write a script without any recommendation; on the other hand at least she admitted she didn't know anything about withdrawing and is willing to provide you with the needed prescription.

Anyway, here is a thread on tapering Wellbutrin http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/877-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-buproprion/page__view__findpost__p__7534__hl__wellbutrin__fromsearch__1.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Thanks for the link Karma! My newest prescription is for the SR version, so I guess my doc really did do me a favor as far as that goes. My only problem is that I have a hard time remembering to take pills other than in the morning. I was going to continue to take 300mg of Wellbutrin yesterday but it was 04:30 until I remembered that I needed to take the second pill. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to sleep if I took it so late and skipped it. So I only ended up taking 150mg in the morning yesterday. Thankfully I'm still feeling fine.

• Administrator

150mg once a day might be fine. You'll know it if you get withdrawal symptoms in the afternoon, then you might take a quarter of a tablet, or 37.5mg.