yawxir: 4 Weeks Paroxetine. Went Cold turkey and now feeling dizziness on walking. Is this Prolonged withdrawal?

yawxir

Hi, 

Really appreciate the creator and contributors of this wonderful forum. Hopefully i get the answers i am looking for.

Went to Psychiatrist  where i was diagnosed with GAD and social anxiety disorder. He prescribed me Paroxetine 12.5 CR at bedtime which i continued for 4 weeks. 

First week went good and i felt mode improvements, but it started to increase my anxiety in second week. I was not much aware of the withdrawal at that time and i decided to go cold turkey after using it for 14 days. 

Its 2.5 Days since my last does and the only issue i am facing is trouble walking, extreme lighteadness on walking and it feel like i will fall at any moment if i dont stop walking :(.  One thing to mention, I can run fast , only issue is with walking. 

I never had this before starting Paroxetine. Is this a withdrawal effect? if so , is it now for lifetime ?  :( as its already 2.5 months since i quit and i was on a very low dose (12.5 CR)

Looking for advise and reviews from people having similar experience.

Regards

• ChessieCat changed the title to yawxir: 4 Weeks Paroxetine. Went Cold turkey and now feeling dizziness on walking. Is this Prolonged withdrawal?

Welcome @yawxir

I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering, but relieved you have found us. This forum is run by others like you who have been through and survived, or are surviving, the negative effects of psychiatric drugs.

Feeling lightheaded is a common withdrawal symptom so it may be caused by quitting paroxetine.

What date did you start taking paroxetine?

What date did you take your last dose?

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

As it says in the link: Paroxetine is known for being extremely difficult to quit. You were not taking it long. So if reinstatement is something you want to consider it is better to try a very small dose (1mg) of fluoxetine instead. 

I found this post helpful to understand how these drugs actually work and why healing takes time:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

About withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics

I found these topics there:

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

What to do for dizziness , queasiness, nausea

Severe lightheadedness and fainting

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and think about it, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through. Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities. It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg