Antidepressant Withdrawal Survey ***Your input needed***

UCIZotMD

Hi everyone,
I’m a longtime lurker to this forum and a Clinical Professor at UC Irvine Medical Center in California. I’m conducting research on antidepressant withdrawal, specifically with the serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) like fluoxetine, escitalopram or venlafaxine. 

We're working to better identify and treat this condition. If you've experienced withdrawal with an SRI, we would be very appreciative if you could fill out this survey and share your experience. It should take no more than 10 minutes, but would be very informative for us.

Please take this survey only if you:

(1) Are age 18-65

(2) Took a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (includes fluoxetine, sertraline, paroxetine, fluvoxamine, citalopram, escitalopram, venlafaxine, desvenlafaxine, duloxetine, vortioxetine, or vilazodone) continuously for at least a month 

Please refrain from taking this survey if you would like to comment on withdrawal from other antidepressants or other classes of psychiatric drugs.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Edited by Altostrata
updated link

• UCIZotMD changed the title to Antidepressant Withdrawal Survey ***Your input needed***
  • Moderator Emeritus

This question does not take into account updosing or reinstating.  I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg and then updosed at the suggestion of SA.  If I answer that my withdrawal symptoms resolved after 2 weeks then it will be assumed that I stopped my drug cold turkey and that I "healed" from the withdrawal in a very short period of time so the information will not be accurate.

Please provide your best estimate of when your withdrawal symptoms resolved. If they are ongoing, please provide today’s date. *
MM

/
DD

/
YYYY

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    13 November 2021 -  0mg Pristiq      

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

• Moderator Emeritus

It also does not take into consideratiion delayed withdrawal.

When I cold turkeyed citalopram I felt great for a couple of months and then was bedridden for 2 weeks with what felt like the flu but definitely wasn't.  I had trouble eating and lost 8kgs / 17.5 lbs.  It wasn't until I learned about withdrawal here at SA that I made the connection and realised that it had been caused by stopping the citalopram.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Chessiecat we could use our first taper recommended by dr in this survey before we came to SA and learned how to taper correctly and answer that one question as ongoing. ??

And those of us that did the drug merry go round because of misdiagnosis of withdrawals??  Which one do we use ? Just thinking! Lot of questions of how each of us would apply our ssri withdrawals to this survey correctly. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 drug merry go round with dr. 
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs,

Started taper Dec. 2019 to  Mar. 2020 lexapro 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul 2021 7 ml. 10/02/2021 6.90 ml, 10/09/2021 6.80, 10/16/2021 6.70, Oct 24 2021 6.60 ml, Nov 14 2021 6.50 ml, Nov 21 2021 6.40 ml

present Celebrex 200 - 400 mg daily as needed, Pepcid 20 mg, zinc L carnosine , Prilosec very rarely if desperate 

• Moderator Emeritus

Research on withdrawal of antidepressants is very much needed.  But it needs to be understood that there are also many and largely varied ways that people try to get off their drug/s as well as a wide variety of experiences doing this.  I was very willing to answer the survey and was going to do it twice to cover the experience I had with getting off my two drugs at different times and completely different experiences (citalopram and Pristiq).  However once I started responding I found that I was not able to provide accurate information about my experience so I cancelled my survey.

Please note that 2 members who have "liked" my post/s above, which I assume they agree with the comment/s I have made.  I receive notification of these, but I assume you would not, so I wanted to draw your attention to this.

I do not think your current survey asks enough correct questions, allows enough answers for participants to respond accurately or asks enough questions to cover the vast array of antidepressant withdrawal experiences.

Suggestions:

If your research is regarding cold turkey / abrupt stopping of antidepressants with NO reinstatement, then that should be stated.

If your research is not about the above, then I think that the questions you are asking / need to ask should be reviewed, otherwise the results are not going to be real world experiences.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, Heath said:

Chessiecat we could use our first taper recommended by dr in this survey before we came to SA and learned how to taper correctly and answer that one question as ongoing. ??

And those of us that did the drug merry go round because of misdiagnosis of withdrawals??  Which one do we use ? Just thinking! Lot of questions of how each of us would apply our ssri withdrawals to this survey correctly. 

You responded as I was typing my post.  I've tried to explain clearly what the issues are with the survey questions.

• Moderator Emeritus

SA members, please note that generally only the member posting gets notification of the "likes" of a post.

Because I can only comment and offer suggestions related to my experience and observations I have made whilst being a member / mod for 6 years please post comments to assist the researchers.

I suggest that you post with either a quote of the post you agree with and/or state your own thoughts and/or suggestions about the survey and/or reasons why you are not able to complete the survey accurately.

@Heath Thank you for posting your question about poly drugging.  Because that didn't happen to me I hadn't included that or even thought to include that.

Chessiecat yes I was just typing the same thing to tell you I got it 😂.  

I agree . I will be happy to do survey if it had all the questions to get the whole story ! But this survey will only get half the story or the facts could even be taken as opposite of what really happened. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 drug merry go round with dr. 
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs,

Started taper Dec. 2019 to  Mar. 2020 lexapro 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul 2021 7 ml. 10/02/2021 6.90 ml, 10/09/2021 6.80, 10/16/2021 6.70, Oct 24 2021 6.60 ml, Nov 14 2021 6.50 ml, Nov 21 2021 6.40 ml

present Celebrex 200 - 400 mg daily as needed, Pepcid 20 mg, zinc L carnosine , Prilosec very rarely if desperate