Bego82: withdrawal hell and best wishes to all

Bego82

I know you are so frustrated with everything, at this point. You have obviously had some very bad advice and treatment from doctors who should know better, but sadly most don't. Please continue to trust the advice of mods here and try to be patient. I know how hard it is. I am in WD hell too. Sending you comforting thoughts and prayers for better days.

Prozac 10mg 1990-1999    -1999-2018 Effexor XR 75 mg capsules

-2018 Dr direct switched me from Effexor 75XR to Cymbalta 20mg XR and 20 mg Metoprolol following irregular heartbeat incident  -Late 2019 began worsening anxiety/ depression symptoms     -2020 Dr direct switched  back to 75 mg Effex XR   Symptoms worsened   -2021 Changed Dr and began therapy for GAD and worsening physical symptoms   -2022 Found this forum and began slow taper by removing beads -    6/7 - 6/10 Effexor 73.2mg  6/11-6/14  Effexor 72.9mg   nightmares, tinnitus, anxiety;  6/15- Effexor XR 72.6mg  6/16 - 6/20 Effexor XR 72.8   nausea, heart palpitations, anxiety, tinnitus 6/22-7/4 hold Effexor XR 72.9-73.1     7/5-7/11  Effexor XR 72.62  7/12 - 7/15  Effexor 72.6  bad symptoms 

7/16-7/17 Effexor XR upped to 72.9  7/18 Effexor XR 72.9  most symptoms gone  hold at 72.9 - 73.0   8/26 - 9/6  Trying to keep dosage under 73. Holding around 72.9 sometime 72.86 due to bead count  Having symptoms most days.

9/6-9/23    Holding at about 72.9-73. Still very ill. No improvement.

9/23 - 11/23  Still keeping dose around 72.9-73

11-23-Jan 14   Held until one week ago. Dropped to 72.75-72.81  terrible WD

1/14- present   Worse WD symptoms. Back to 73.10. Cannot seem to stabilize. 

2/2 - present Holding at about 73 hoping to stabilize  

3/19 - present Dropped to aprox 92.9-92.88. (vary from day to day.) Holding 

Take only Clarinex 5mg for allergies and the Effexor 73 XR. I cannot take any supplements. No caffeine, sugar, soy, gluten, dairy.

Oh there are plenty of horror stories on here about Lexapro too! I think it’s very individual - you don’t know until you try it. So far so good for me, apart from when I made a giant cut from 20 mg to 10 mg and was on antibiotics at the same time.  I’ve recovered from that tho which is good. 

Hopefully the rest will go smoothly for both of us. 

HISTORY

1995 - 2006: One at a time I've tried Zoloft, a MAOI for a short time, Cipramil, and Effexor for a short time (hell)

Lexapro career began 2006: 10 mg. 2014↘️tapered over months to less than 5 mg by cutting tablets and skipping doses. GP convinced me to ↗️to 10mg. 2018↗️20 mg. 2022↗️30 mg. 2021 Occasional 75 mg Lyrica for anxiety. 
Dec 2022: Trial 5 mg dextroamphetamine once a day. Began Lex taper Dec 22: 30 mg↘️20 mg (no symptoms). Jan 2023 dextroamphetamine 5mg x 3 daily. Switched to 40 mg Lisdexamfetamine Aug 23 due to international travel.

CURRENT

Daily: Lisdexamfetamine 40 mg once a day, Doxycycline 50 mg for skin (am) Supps: Fish oil. Magnesium and Turmeric, Women's 50+ multi (pm)

Occasional: Panadol/Nurofen/Meloxicam for headaches/arthritis; doxylamine for sleep

Lexapro taper 2023 16 Jan ↘️10 mg, (bad physical WDs) 27 Jan↗️15 mg 13 Feb↘️12 mg. 6 Mar↘️10 mg 20 Mar➡️crossover to liquid 31 Mar↘️8.5 mg. 24 Apr↘️7.25 mg. 17 May↘️7 mg. 31 May↘️6 mg, 6 week hold Switch to slide 10 July↘️5.8↘️5.6↘️5.4mg 7 Aug↘️5.2↘️5.1↘️5mg. Crossover to generic tablets from 4 Sept 23. Still holding at 5 mg, 27 Dec 23.

Anything I write here is my opinion based on my experiences. It is not medical advice.

Well done @Fifree I’m glad that you made it. 

It sounds like you’re almost there.

At 15 years old: unknown antidepressant.
2005-2007: Venlafaxine. Overdosed on benzos.
2011- 2012: Fluoxetine.

2013: started Duloxetine. Overdosed on Zolpidem.
2015: started Venlafaxine 225mg prolonged release after crashing from stopping Duloxetine.
2021, 5th March: Venlafaxine crash from withdrawal begins (from 225mg to 37.5mg in 6 weeks then cold turkey by doctor’s advice).

2021 July: started taking 5HTP, GABA, LTheanine, LTaurine, multivitamin, fish oil, magnesium, holy basil and lithium Orotate, following Julia Ross’.
2021 August: doctor put me on beta blockers 40mg twice a day as I refuse to touch any psych medication. Currently tapering from 10mg.

September: hospitalised.

2021, 8th October: Mirtrazapine 15mg

2021, 18th October: Mirtrazapine to 30mg

Thank you @Bego82  are you feeling any better?

Ive been reading a few threads today and I saw that Oaktree1 is in a similar situation to you - recovering from Cymbalta (another snri) withdrawals while tapering remeron. It might be useful to check out their experience with it too. 

HISTORY

1995 - 2006: One at a time I've tried Zoloft, a MAOI for a short time, Cipramil, and Effexor for a short time (hell)

Lexapro career began 2006: 10 mg. 2014↘️tapered over months to less than 5 mg by cutting tablets and skipping doses. GP convinced me to ↗️to 10mg. 2018↗️20 mg. 2022↗️30 mg. 2021 Occasional 75 mg Lyrica for anxiety. 
Dec 2022: Trial 5 mg dextroamphetamine once a day. Began Lex taper Dec 22: 30 mg↘️20 mg (no symptoms). Jan 2023 dextroamphetamine 5mg x 3 daily. Switched to 40 mg Lisdexamfetamine Aug 23 due to international travel.

CURRENT

Daily: Lisdexamfetamine 40 mg once a day, Doxycycline 50 mg for skin (am) Supps: Fish oil. Magnesium and Turmeric, Women's 50+ multi (pm)

Occasional: Panadol/Nurofen/Meloxicam for headaches/arthritis; doxylamine for sleep

Lexapro taper 2023 16 Jan ↘️10 mg, (bad physical WDs) 27 Jan↗️15 mg 13 Feb↘️12 mg. 6 Mar↘️10 mg 20 Mar➡️crossover to liquid 31 Mar↘️8.5 mg. 24 Apr↘️7.25 mg. 17 May↘️7 mg. 31 May↘️6 mg, 6 week hold Switch to slide 10 July↘️5.8↘️5.6↘️5.4mg 7 Aug↘️5.2↘️5.1↘️5mg. Crossover to generic tablets from 4 Sept 23. Still holding at 5 mg, 27 Dec 23.

Anything I write here is my opinion based on my experiences. It is not medical advice.

• Mentor
8 hours ago, Bego82 said:

If you've gone through a similar kind of hell - which looks like you did - you should know a little bit better... Otherwise you'd have offered help or encouragement about quitting the other drug, but where were you?

8 hours ago, Bego82 said:

If you're kicking me out of this forum maybe you're one of the lucky ones. Or maybe it's you who shouldn't be here at all, as this is a place of COMPASSION.

Wow, I was trying to help and I was not judging, but it looks like you were. I have no clue what you are referring to about not helping you taper the “other” drug. “where were you?” … I don’t appreciate your hostile tone and that’s no way to reach out for help if you’re really wanting someone to take time out of their busy life and voluntarily give it to you. No thanks.

I gave you compassion and truth. This site runs on both. The truth is if you’re asking for help here from the moderators on how to start a new antidepressant, I doubt you will get it as SA is a place to help people get OFF psych drugs, not on them. 

Respect will go far when seeking help.

Edited by FindRest

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Bego82 said:

That's not either nice nor fair. I obviously don’t want to go back antidepressants or I wouldn't be saying a word in here. And I’ve been here long enough to know how this forum works, thank you very much.

@Bego82Please note what FindRest wrote was a very fair response to someone who's been a member here for over a year and knows how the forum works. You stated:

On 3/3/2023 at 11:07 AM, Bego82 said:

Is anybody reading? Moderators, please, I’m about to start taking Prozac, and I’m scared

And then you go on to detail your prescribers ill-advised advice. We simply can't help you with adding in Prozac. We're not medical experts here and we need to be very clear on what we can and can't do, for ethical and legal reasons. 

Your full post on March 3 was full of mixed messaging at best. Giving tapering advice is difficult enough when we know what members are asking. When we're presented with someone who starts a post off with a definitive "I'm about to start taking Prozac", we take them at their word. If you aren't seriously interested in taking your doctor's advice, it's up to you to let us know. We take these kinds of statements very seriously. Combining Prozac with Mirtazapine, even for a few weeks, can cause serotonin syndrome, as listed here in this drug interaction checker: 

Drug Interaction Checker - Prozac and Mirtazapine

We aren't able to help you do something that may very well put you in a crisis state. 

I also want to address your statement:

13 hours ago, Bego82 said:

I'm on my own, so don't judge me. If you've gone through a similar kind of hell - which looks like you did - you should know a little bit better... Otherwise you'd have offered help or encouragement about quitting the other drug, but where were you?

If I wanted to be judged I wouldn't be here sharing my life with strangers. I obviously don't have any other devices, as I'm alone in the world, what about you? If you're kicking me out of this forum maybe you're one of the lucky ones. Or maybe it's you who shouldn't be here at all, as this is a place of COMPASSION.

I don't think FindRest was judging you, but rather she was judging your doctor. From your responses, it's clear you are you, too. And that's good! Yes, your doctor is giving very bad drug tapering advice. 

No one wants you to leave this site. FindRest's post stating there are other forums for people who want to make reckless drugging decisions is simply a fact - there are better places than Surviving Antidepressants for this. This forum exists within a framework of harm reduction. It's a strict protocol that some find too restrictive. There are less restrictive forums out there. Some forums are focused on social support more than tapering and people who are doing other types of tapering (cold turkey, fast tapers, augmenting with other drugs, etc.) find those forums to be exactly what they need. Whenever we feel our forum isn't a good fit, we try to find a better fit so that people get the social support they need and aren't left in the cold alone. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "but where were you?" in the above quote. Please note the moderator who was helping you when you first came to the forum in 2021, Kiasofia, passed away. As much as we try to catch every post that comes through, we tend to focus on posts that require an answer. Your two posts in February were responses to another member inquiring how you were doing and then you gave an update without asking any questions. We are catching up on handling threads that may have been missed due to the absence of a moderator, but we target our posts to people who are asking questions. 

If you do wish to stick around for advice here, please update your signature so we know where you're at. It hasn't been updated since 2021. 

I just read your thread and from what you've written, if you're still using a lot of supplements, that may be your problem. You're already taking a sedating drug, mirtazapine, and adding in sedating supplements is likely causing paradoxical reactions. The more you try to dampen down (i.e. sedate) your brain, the more it fights to stay alert. This creates paradoxical reactions, which are alerting (activating) reactions. Dealing with the supplements may be a way you can stabilize before resuming your mirtazapine taper. If this is something you'd like to discuss, please update your signature and let us know where you're at with your mirtazapine and your supplements.

What we need:

• an updated signature for drugs, including over-the-counter drugs, and any supplements
  • what time(s) you take mirtazapine and your supplements. Please list the time o'clock, name of the drug or supplement, and the dose