snowdog: From anxiety to 3 antipsychotics due to medical error

snowdog

Took a lot of antidepressants during 2015 for anxiety. The last one was paroxetine, which induced a hypomania, according to doc (was more like an extreme irritability).

After that, I started my treatment for "bipolar 2" with lots of medication failures due to extreme side effects (I'm too sensitive to this kind of drug) . The only drug my body kind of "accepted" was quetiapine xr 50 mg.

In april 2021 doc made a mistake and gave me the wrong pills with a dosage of 300mg! Started having adrenaline rushes and heart issues. The pills (at least in my country) look the same! I realized only after 17 days, went back to 50 mg but developed what I recently discovered was a severe 3 months withdrawal. The doctor, to "manage" the withdrawal (although he never said was withdrawal, he said it was anxiety and panic), put me on 25mg of amisulpride, 1.25mg of olanzapine and 1mg of clonazepam (couldn't tolerate more than these). After 1 month of clonazepam, doc started a "taper" reducing 1 drop per week (in my country, clonazepam has this liquid formulation). After I completely stopped the clonazepam I entered on a terrible withdrawal, the doctor said it was normal and suggested increasing olanzapine to 2.5 mg. Took only one week and went down to 1.25mg again.

Found another doc who said I'm not bipolar and probably have some anger issues and general anxiety, but manageable through therapy. He said the meds made all the bad stuff I've been feeling during the last 6 years. Proposed to taper all meds during a long time, but since I'm too bad (feeling very tired) and the last drug was olanzapine (which he told me is a terrible and dangerous drug) and is in the same class as the others, he proposed try to be a "little" fast (not so little cuts every 4 weeks) because he thought my tiredness was from that. Went from 1.25mg (1/2 a pill) to 0.9325mg (3/8th a pill) and it was good. Then went from 0.9325mg to 0.625mg (1/4th a pill) and had only some tremors during 3 hours on two days. When I went from 0.625mg to 0.3125mg(1/8th a pill) I felt very bad for two days with extreme anxiety, insomnia and nausea, then I started slowly improving. Now it's one and a half weeks past and I feel a bit tired and have some chest pressure. Doc said to wait two months to make any changes in medications.

So, what's next? Since I'm at this low dosage should I taper more? At what dosage should I jump off from olanzapine? I bought a digital scale and the 1/8th a pill weighs 12mg. So I can do the 10% rule for 3 months until I hit the 9 mg of pill weight (0,2344 a dosage). After that the decrements will be 1mg, more than 10%. In this extreme case is it acceptable?

2015-2016: Start treatment for anxiety and gastrointestinal issues due to it. Almost 1 year on lexapro and become worst. Tried zoloft for 2 months and had severe diarrhea. May 2016: Extreme irritability with paroxetine (1 month) lead to Bipolar 2 diagnosis (now I know it was a medical error) 

2016-2018: Quetiapine XR started at 150mg, down to 50mg due to somnolence. Doc put a lot of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics with bad reactions, most of them taken during 1-2 months. Only Depakote was used for almost 1 year. 

jul-aug 2018: Bad reaction to lamotrigine put me on severe depression (never had something like that in my life)

sep 2018: Quetiapine XR 100, Amisulpride 100mg to deal with severe depression induced by lamotrigine (now I know it was a medical error) - 2019: Reduced Quetiapine XR to 50mg and Amisulpride to 0 in 6 months without issues.

2020: Quetiapine XR 50mg. Feels good.

Apr 2021: Medical error lead me to take 300mg of Quetiapine. Was at hospital for 5 days with heart issues but not was found. Realize at home the wrong dosage and went back to 50mg. 

May 2021: Due to change of dosage, had a 3 month withdrawal without knowing it. Doc said I was with anxiety and panic. Introduced again 50mg Amisulpride. Couldn't tolerate and after two days went down to half a pill (25mg). 

Jun 2021: Still in withdrawal. Doc put me on 1.25 olanzapine (he wanted 2.5, but I was afraid of some bad reaction) and 1mg clonazepam. 

Jul 2021: Started tapering clonazepam by reduced one drop per week.

Sep 2021: End clonazepam tapering. Start to have withdrawal again. Two weeks in bed. Start to suspect my doc was insane and look for another. Found a doctor who was not too pro-med. After three sessions he told me I was not bipolar. I have anxiety and he wants to treat with therapy. Start reducing olanzapine (he said it's a bad drug) to 0.9325mg.

Oct 2021: Quetiapine XR 50mg, Amisulpride 25mg, Olanzapine 0.625mg

Nov 2021: Quetiapine XR 50mg, Amisulpride 25mg, Olanzapine 0.3125mg. Things went bad, had two nights of inmsonia, nausea and extreme anxiety. After that, things start improving slowly. 1 1/2 week later I'm better, but still have some tiredness and chest pressure. Most of the days I sleep well, but last night I didn't sleep good. 

Hi @snowdog.  Welcome to SA, and thank you for providing your drug history in your signature.

That's a very unpleasant experience you've been through there - condolences.  It's good to hear you've found a supportive doctor now - well done on being proactive about finding the right support for yourself.

As most doctors aren't aware of the need for many or most people to taper at 10% per month, or slower, you've been coming down off all those drugs a lot faster than that.

Your doctor's advice to hold where you are for some months is the right idea.

Since olanzapine and quetiapine are both in the same general class of major tranquillisers, it's quite irresponsible to prescribe more than one of these at a time.  You're on a very low dose of olanzapine now, so I wouldn't worry too much about its effects in particular at that level for a little while, especially as the quetiapine will be doing comparable things but much more so.  It's also good to hear that you've been feeling steady after your last cut, which was quite large, but hopefully will be mitigated by the steady dose of quetiapine for now.

How are you measuring out these small doses of these drugs?

If you are feeling reasonable after a couple of months, by all means make a 10% cut with the olanzapine.  If you tolerate that well you might be able to come down a bit quicker since the quetiapine is still covering a lot of that turf.  But wait and see.

Once the olanzapine is out of your system I would hold for a good while again to let everything readjust.  This will be a good time to plan and prepare for the rest of your taper.

I will post some links for you shortly.

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own

NB: I do not do tapering support via private message

Backdrop:  10mg olanzapine 2003-06.  3mg risperidone 2006-2014.  Abortive x-taper to aripiprazole Dec 2014, back to 10mg olanzapine after 3 weeks.

2015:  10 -> 7 1/2 -> 6 2/3 -> 5mg olanzapine using pill cutter

2018:  Finer taper liquid suspension 5mg to 2.5 Mar-Aug and hold

2019: Jan 2.5 | Eostre EMDR@2.1mg | Jul 1.625 | Oct 1.3

2020: Jan 1.214 | Apr 0.88 | July 0.69 | Oct 0.525

2021: EMDR all year Jan 0.44 | Apr 0.38 | Jul 0.26 | 2 Oct 0.205 | 3 Oct ->0mg

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

Should be a good start.  Amisulpride might be a good one to look at tapering next, after you're off olanzapine and steady.  Some people find it difficult and it might be easier to deal with while the quetiapine is still there, rather than on its own.  Again, one day at a time 🙂

Backdrop:  10mg olanzapine 2003-06.  3mg risperidone 2006-2014.  Abortive x-taper to aripiprazole Dec 2014, back to 10mg olanzapine after 3 weeks.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• ChessieCat changed the title to snowdog: From anxiety to 3 antipsychotics due to medical error
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanx for all tips, @hayduke. I'm kind of not using too much internet due to trigger factors. So I'm avoiding reading too much stuff about withdrawals. 

After my first post I had one week of bad sleep, with two days of real insomnia, but I had no other symptoms. My sleep pattern has improved a lot by 3 and a half weeks mark.  Now I'm almost at five weeks mark since last reduction and I feel overall fine. I wouldn't say I'm 100%, but I'm ok. Last two weeks I'm doing some fast pace walks and now start jogging a little. I think this has improved my tiredness, but it may be some placebo effect, I don't know.

Next friday I'm going to an appointment with my current doctor and I'll discuss all thing with him. From time to time I will report my evolution here and leave my history! 

2015-2016: Start treatment for anxiety and gastrointestinal issues due to it. Almost 1 year on lexapro and become worst. Tried zoloft for 2 months and had severe diarrhea. May 2016: Extreme irritability with paroxetine (1 month) lead to Bipolar 2 diagnosis (now I know it was a medical error) 

2016-2018: Quetiapine XR started at 150mg, down to 50mg due to somnolence. Doc put a lot of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics with bad reactions, most of them taken during 1-2 months. Only Depakote was used for almost 1 year. 

jul-aug 2018: Bad reaction to lamotrigine put me on severe depression (never had something like that in my life)

sep 2018: Quetiapine XR 100, Amisulpride 100mg to deal with severe depression induced by lamotrigine (now I know it was a medical error) - 2019: Reduced Quetiapine XR to 50mg and Amisulpride to 0 in 6 months without issues.

Apr 2021: Medical error lead me to take 300mg of Quetiapine. Was at hospital for 5 days with heart issues but not was found. Realize at home the wrong dosage and went back to 50mg. 

May 2021: Due to change of dosage, had a 3 month withdrawal without knowing it. Doc said I was with anxiety and panic. Introduced again 50mg Amisulpride. Couldn't tolerate and after two days went down to half a pill (25mg). 

Jun 2021: Still in withdrawal. Doc put me on 1.25 olanzapine (he wanted 2.5, but I was afraid of some bad reaction) and 1mg clonazepam. 

Sep 2021: End clonazepam tapering. Start to have withdrawal again. Two weeks in bed. Start to suspect my doc was insane and look for another. Found a doctor who was not too pro-med. After three sessions he told me I was not bipolar. I have anxiety and he wants to treat with therapy. Start reducing olanzapine (he said it's a bad drug) to 0.9325mg.

Nov 2021: Quetiapine XR 50mg, Amisulpride 25mg, Olanzapine 0.3125mg. Things went bad, had two nights of inmsonia, nausea and extreme anxiety. After that, things start improving slowly. 1 1/2 week later I'm better, but still have some tiredness and chest pressure. Most of the days I sleep well, but last night I didn't sleep good. 

On 11/30/2021 at 5:07 PM, hayduke said:

It's good to hear you've found a supportive doctor now

He's a pretty good doctor. Actually, he knows this forum and others and knows about the 10% rule. The thing is, he thought we needed to go fast because of excess of medications of this class and the risks. After we saw how things went we would adjust the taper. He was very honest about all the taper and the risks of the drugs. I understand his thoughts, since I was on a terrible state the very first time I sought him.

How are you measuring out these small doses of these drugs?

I was just dry cutting them, now I have a scale. Doc told me I can use the liquid method too, specially at the end if things get hard. Another idea is to find a compound pharmacy, but here it's illegal to work with some drugs that act at CNS.

the quetiapine is still covering a lot of that turf

It's my doc hypothesis, since they hit a lot of the same receptors.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:17 PM, hayduke said:

Amisulpride might be a good one to look at tapering next

I hate this drug, it's a wreck for my libido (even at this very low dose) and at the same time does nothing besides that. My doc told me, the only thing I'm having with all this medications is probably the sleepiness from quetiapine and sides effects.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a funny history to tell you guys. 

I made a bad review over google about my ex-doc office. After that, he tried to contact me (after 3 months of my last consultation). He sent me a message saying I needed adjustments of medication, because I was showing "symptoms" (it was just gaslighting, like if my bad review was just me going "nuts"). He also said he never did anything to harm me. For sure he had no intention to harm me, he just know nothing about medicines and diagnosis.

I didn't answer his message and after that he asked his secretary to send me an email telling me that if I have a "breakdown" it's just my responsibility, since I left the treatment. I answered this email, telling I doing fine with a new better doctor and I never abandoned treatment, just looked for a new opinion after he put me in a bad place for three months! I blocked his email and phones. I wish I could sue him, but my family thinks it's a difficult thing to prove.

It's a shame how bad these doctors are being trained.

Good on you for being proactive about your needs.