SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alibe: Lexapro Cold turkey withdrawal and then reinstatement help

Alibe

Hello, looking for guidance.

2013-Nov 6 2021 I was on lexapro 7.5 mg

Cannabis 2015- Nov 6 2021

Had a panic attack, Dr took me off Lexapro and to stop cannabis and said it wasn't working well and advised Buspar 10 mg 2x per day. (Nov 12). He should have never took me off lexapro after that many years...

Tried Buspar for 2 weeks. Mild symptom relief. But then withdrawal symptoms happened. 

Head has always burned after stopping Lexapro. Then Developed burning throughout body, brain zaps, hot flashes/then shivering, derealization, fast heart rate, trouble sleeping, decreased mood, hypersensitive to sound and light, trouble concentrationing, can't watch TV or listen to music at 1.5 weeks of stopping Lexapro. Stopped working my job.

Reinstated 2.5 mg of Lexapro 3 days (some improvement).

Then 5 mg 1 day, 3 mg? 2 days.. Had Akathisia bad. Really bad. Increased anxiety. Was told to take klonopin .25 mg each day. 

Reduced Lexapro to 1.25 mg (Dec 1-3). Akathisia went down some on Dec 3. Still feel very antsy in chest, head and arms when I wake up. Burning on head all day. Still sensitive to sound and light. Body temperature has improved.

I have 5 mg Lexapro pills I have been cutting into quarters for 1.25 mg.

I have read about low reinstatement after I experienced Akathisia and that's why I lowered. 

Do I continue with 1.25 mg? 

I was off Lexapro for 20 days. 14 days of withdrawal symptoms before Reinstatement. 

I really want my life back.

Thank you for any help.

2013- Nov 6 2021: Lexapro 7.5 mg CT

2010-present Klonopin .25 mg as needed

Nov 12-24, 2021: Buspar 10 mg 2x per day-stopped.

Nov 2021: Gabapentin 100 mg x3 to 300 mg x3

Nov 25, 2021: Reinstated Lexapro after 2.5 mg-5 mg- some improvement then developed Akathisia. 

Dec 1 2021: 1 mg Lexapro- still poor reaction tapered off in 5 months using liquid.

Apr 2022: 0 Lexapro

April 2022: Effexor 25 mg. Helped with akathisia and SI. but caused joint pain, high HR, and very heavy/dizzy. May 2022 12.5 mg then Stopped

Present: Gabapentin 300 mg x3, klonopin .25 mg as needed, benadryl as needed, propanolol 10 mg

Suffering from akathisia, head burning, depression, anhedonia,  anxiety, DR/DP, fatigue, dizziness

Magnesium, fish oil, D3+K2, lipothiamine, b12 injections, vit c/e, betaine hcl, probiotic

• Alibe changed the title to Alibe- Lexapro Cold turkey withdrawal and then reinstatement help
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Alibe: Lexapro Cold turkey withdrawal and then reinstatement help
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Alibe, and welcome to SA.  You have come to the right place. You are right, your doctor should have never taken you off Lexapro cold turkey.  It's a good think you came in here soon afterwards.  

9 hours ago, Alibe said:

Then 5 mg 1 day, 3 mg? 2 days.. Had Akathisia bad. Really bad. Increased anxiety. Was told to take klonopin .25 mg each day. 

It's not a good idea to jump around on your dose.  This can cause big problems.  Please find one reinstatement dose, and take that precise dose at the same time each day.  It takes at least a week for a reinstatement to get into your bloodstream, and register with your brain.  It can take several weeks to a month or two for it to fully settle into your system.  The nervous system is extremely complex, and takes weeks to months for it to find homeostasis.  I would stay on this for a good several months, at least 3-6, maybe longer.  Then, when you have stabilized, you can slowly and cautiously taper off.  

9 hours ago, Alibe said:

Yes, I would stay on the 1.25 mg Lexapro, and give it a chance to work.  A reinstatement is not a magic fix, but it should help to reduce the symptoms, and make them bearable.

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper so slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Once you have stabilized, this link will explain how to continue the taper, and how to measure the small increments you will need to measure.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Lexapro

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Considerations About Stability - Stop Jumping Around

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

12 hours ago, getofflex said:

Hello Alibe, and welcome to SA.  You have come to the right place. You are right, your doctor should have never taken you off Lexapro cold turkey.  It's a good think you came in here soon afterwards.  

It's not a good idea to jump around on your dose.  This can cause big problems.  Please find one reinstatement dose, and take that precise dose at the same time each day.  It takes at least a week for a reinstatement to get into your bloodstream, and register with your brain.  It can take several weeks to a month or two for it to fully settle into your system.  The nervous system is extremely complex, and takes weeks to months for it to find homeostasis.  I would stay on this for a good several months, at least 3-6, maybe longer.  Then, when you have stabilized, you can slowly and cautiously taper off.  

Yes, I would stay on the 1.25 mg Lexapro, and give it a chance to work.  A reinstatement is not a magic fix, but it should help to reduce the symptoms, and make them bearable.

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper so slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Once you have stabilized, this link will explain how to continue the taper, and how to measure the small increments you will need to measure.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Lexapro

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

22 hours ago, Alibe said:

Had a panic attack, Dr took me off Lexapro and to stop cannabis and said it wasn't working well and advised Buspar 10 mg 2x per day. (Nov 12)

Tried Buspar for 2 weeks. Mild symptom relief. But then withdrawal symptoms happened. 

Head has always burned after stopping Lexapro. Then Developed burning throughout body, brain zaps, hot flashes/then shivering, derealization, fast heart rate, trouble sleeping, decreased mood, hypersensitive to sound and light, trouble concentrationing, can't watch TV or listen to music at 1.5 weeks of stopping Lexapro.

Reduced Lexapro to 1.25 mg (Dec 1-3). Akathisia went down some on Dec 3. Still feel very antsy in chest, head and arms when I wake up. Burning on head all day. Still sensitive to sound and light. Body temperature has improved.

I have read about low reinstatement after I experienced Akathisia and that's why I lowered. 

I was off Lexapro for 20 days. 14 days of withdrawal symptoms before Reinstatement. 

Every time I take the Lexapro, even low dose, I feel worse (agitated, restless legs, burning arms, hands head, more anxious) and need to take Klonopin. 

How do I know the difference between adverse drug reaction and start up symptoms of an antidepressant? I did not feel like this 8 years ago when I started Lexapro. It made me sleepy. This is very uncomfortable. But my withdrawal symptoms were also very close minus the restless legs. I'm at a loss of what is happening and what to do to make it better.

Nov 25, 2021: Reinstated Lexapro after 2.5 mg-5 mg- some improvement then developed Akathisia. 

Dec 1 2021: 1 mg Lexapro- still poor reaction tapered off in 5 months using liquid.

April 2022: Effexor 25 mg. Helped with akathisia and SI. but caused joint pain, high HR, and very heavy/dizzy. May 2022 12.5 mg then Stopped

Present: Gabapentin 300 mg x3, klonopin .25 mg as needed, benadryl as needed, propanolol 10 mg

Suffering from akathisia, head burning, depression, anhedonia,  anxiety, DR/DP, fatigue, dizziness

Magnesium, fish oil, D3+K2, lipothiamine, b12 injections, vit c/e, betaine hcl, probiotic

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Alibe said:

Every time I take the Lexapro, even low dose, I feel worse (agitated, restless legs, burning arms, hands head, more anxious) and need to take Klonopin. 

This shows that you are having an adverse reaction to Lexapro.  In that case, switch to 0.5 mg Lexapro, and please stick with this dose precisely, every day, unless we suggest otherwise. 

We are in a catch 22.  Your brain is dependent upon the Lexapro, but yet your system is having an adverse reaction to it.  Often people with adverse reactions can tolerate a very low dose.  In the least, the symptoms from the adverse reaction should lessen on 0.5 mg.  Lexcapro is a very powerful SSRI antidepressant, and 0.5 may help to alleviate some of the withdrawal symptoms, while lessening the symptoms of the adverse reaction.  

Please keep a daily journal, so we can keep track of your daily symptoms, and when they occur, so we can monitor your adverse reaction.  Please post your journal in this thread here.  This link will explain how: 

Recording Drug Schedule and Symptoms

Please let us know how you are doing.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, here's an update and looking for guidance.

B12 or WD symptoms still?

Dec 4-Dec 8

I only had 5 mg escitalopram pills and "tried" to cut them into 1/8s for the smallest dose I could get of .75 mg.

I tolerated that well for a week. No Akathisia. But still have burning/prickling everywhere (since CT the escitalopram).

Dec 9-Dec 16

I was able to get a prescription of liquid escitalopram. 

Still having WD symptoms, tolerated the .75 mg well and up it to 1 mg. Tolerated well-no Akathisia. Burrning was better (not gone) but only for 2 days.

At the end of this week, I'm burning and prickling everywhere more severely.

I had blood work done and doctor stated my B12 levels are extremely low, along with my ferritin and said thats why I am experiencing the burning/prickling.  (I think it's from withdrawals based on others reports from Lexapro and burning skin...). 

My question is what to do about the constant burning?

Its mostly at night starting at 12 am and continuous til the next day til 5 pm. I get some relief right before I go to bed where I can get 4 hours of sleep on my own. But then it's starts all over again. Along with being super jittery in the morning til 5 pm. (This has been consistently since CT Withdrawals and with reinstatement.) I have ice packs on me all day and night. 

I was prescribed B12 injections because the doctor was very concerned and said I could cause permanent nerve damage if not addressed. Took one injection on Dec 9. Made me fatigued but jittery and wired.. (also I have not been tolerating b multi vitamins at all).

I do manage to get 30 minutes of walking each day but then I'm back in bed miserably jittery and burning.

Also starting to get dizzy and weak lately. Past 4 days. 

I Got some relief when I upped the dose .25 mg after 1 week. Should I up it to 1.25 mg for this week and see if it helps the burning? 

The burning and prickling makes me miserable and moan all day. 

Thank you for all your input.

• 2 weeks later...

@getofflex hello, I know you are probably super busy. Especially this time of year. Thank you for all your previous input.

I need some advice as I can not seem to slightly stabilize. I have been trying to reinstate the Lexapro since Nov 25, about a month.

I feel like I have ups and down as per my previous posts. Some symptoms improved like the shivering, balance, obessive thoughts, and my digestion. However, I feel like it made my physical symptoms way worse. I can't do anything beside pace, walk, read and put ice packs on me.

I originally started too high before I found SA. Then I went to .75 and doctor put me on 1 mg.

It's been about 2 weeks on 1 mg, I was able to get liquid and was taking 1 mg but after a week I noticed it was tooo much. Restlessness on the verge of Akathisia. I contacted my Dr, she said stay on it, but I'm having a feeling that I need to reduce it asap.

I take it in the morning at 7 am and always feel so restless and jittery til the night and it starts all over the next day. I get a rush of burning skin and adrenaline starting at 3-4 am. 

Would it be okay to reduce it to .5 mg  now or even lower like .4/.3 mg since Im having an adverse reaction?? Or will that do more damage since I've been taking it for a month and the past two weeks at 1 mg? 

All I know is I am not handling the Lexapro. I'm seeing a pattern of consistent jittery, restless and internal shaking since reinstatement and especially 2 hours after taking it it gets worse.

And since I've been trying to stick it out for a month I'm afraid quitting is going to make it worse. But I also feel like it's poisoning me everyday. 

Please advise. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you please list each time that you changed your dose of Lexapro in the past 3 months, along with the date (as best as you can remember), in a very brief list format?  Dates are very important.  

I had asked you previously to do a daily journal. Recording Drug Schedule and Symptoms   Please record the times o'clock you take your drug, how you feel before and after you take it, symptoms throughout the day and night, and also about your sleep (how many hours, times of sleeping), your eating, and any other activities.  This will help you see if you are having an adverse reaction to the Lexapro.  

23 hours ago, Alibe said:

I have been trying to reinstate the Lexapro since Nov 25, about a month.

What do you mean by "trying to reinstate"?  

I can give you guidance when I see a concise list of all the changes to your Lexapro dose in the past 3 months, as well as your daily journal entries.  Thank you.  

What we need to do is walk a tightrope between tapering you off the drug because you are having an adverse reaction, but not tapering too fast, to where you then go into severe withdrawals.  When I see more info about the dates of your recent previous dose changes, and your daily journal entries, I can advise. 

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a daily journal example:  

6 AM woke with anxiety

8 am took 2.5 mg lexapro

10 am stomach is upset

10:30 am ate breakfast

11:35 am got a headache, lasted one hour

12:35 ate lunch

4 pm feel a bit better

5 pm took 2.5 mg lexapro

6 pm ate dinner

9:20 pm headache 

10:00 pm took 50 mg Seroquel

10:30 pm feeling dizzy

10:30 pm fell asleep 

2:30 am woke, took 3 mg Ambien

2:45 am fell asleep

4:30 am woke, but got back to sleep 

Please post each daily journal entry in this thread - thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 8:27 AM, Alibe said:

Had a panic attack, Dr took me off Lexapro and to stop cannabis and said it wasn't working well and advised Buspar 10 mg 2x per day. (Nov 12). He should have never took me off lexapro after that many years...

Head has always burned after stopping Lexapro. Then Developed burning throughout body, brain zaps, hot flashes/then shivering, derealization, fast heart rate, trouble sleeping, decreased mood, hypersensitive to sound and light, trouble concentrationing, can't watch TV or listen to music at 1.5 weeks of stopping Lexapro. Stopped working my job.

I really want my life back.

Thank you for any help.

Did your body temp drop? 

- 10 mg lexparo 1.5 years

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

-cold turkeyed in June 5 of 2021.

Buspar a few days and had severe muscle pain. July 26, 27, then 30 of 2021.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, Alibe said:

Its mostly at night starting at 12 am and continuous til the next day til 5 pm. I get some relief right before I go to bed where I can get 4 hours of sleep on my own. But then it's starts all over again. Along with being super jittery in the morning til 5 pm. (This has been consistently since CT Withdrawals and with reinstatement.) I have ice packs on me all day and night. 

I was prescribed B12 injections because the doctor was very concerned and said I could cause permanent nerve damage if not addressed. Took one injection on Dec 9. Made me fatigued but jittery and wired.. (also I have not been tolerating b multi vitamins at all).

I do manage to get 30 minutes of walking each day but then I'm back in bed miserably jittery and burning.

I Got some relief when I upped the dose .25 mg after 1 week. Should I up it to 1.25 mg for this week and see if it helps the burning? 

Hi Albie,

This is my first post commenting on somebody else, and I am not a doctor but here are my thoughts.

The exact same thing happened to me with the burning head syndrome.

Unfortunately, what I believe is happening is every time you are taking a dose of your lexapro, it is increasing the amount of serotonin between the pre-synaptic and post synaptic cleft both blocking SERT or the serotonin transporter, this is how SSRI's work, over weeks as more and more of these are blocked, typically you get an overflow of serotonin and which eventually congregates in the lipid rafts and allow G proteins to move out of the lipid rafts and towards parts of the brain where they have more access to cyclic AMP and therefore function better. This is the mood lifting and anxiety reducing effects the AD eventually has, but why it is a delayed response.

However, what happened in my brain is during withdrawal your brain is reverting back to the pre-SSRI state which is a state where SERT is not blocked and is back to re-absorbing serotonin.

When you re-introduce the Lexapro, you are now again blocking SERT, which happens immediately, but you now suddenly do not have the same amount of receptors as you did the first time you took it, so what happens is you have an overflow of serotonin with a lot less spaces to be re-absorbed.

Fortunately, no drug blocks SERT 100%, but this is why each dose the head burning occurs. Also, why it is dose dependent, lower dose less burning, higher dose more burning, depending on the amount of serotonin between the pre and post synaptic clefts.

The solution for me, and I think unfortunately for you, is if you can't re-instate, which I could not and believe me I am really not happy at this juncture.

But unfortunately it sounds like you may need to discontinue the lexapro, let you brain re-absorb the serotonin, and the burning will slowly go away.

I believe the burning sensation is from the extra serotonin which typically has a 'hot' sensation, or your body gets hot, or someone who does too much MDMA gets really hot, taking away the agent should allow the body to reabsorb this, and then check out the tips for calming the nervous system, which many on here may be better adept to help with.

I hope that helped, and I am not a doctor it is just what I think has happened, and it happened to me and believe me, I am very upset no psych told me this could occur after stopping.

Let me know what you think.

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

Prozac 40MG for 5 years - 2016 - 2021 (Total of 13 years of consecutive use)

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Recent Issue:  Tapered gradually from 40MG down to 0MG from May 7th - Aug 18th

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

Not happy about it, but on 1.5mg 3x ativan and temazepam 15mg for sleep

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks. Nervous system is clearly crashed.

No Prozac for 249 days.

Oh btw, I do not think the head burning has anything to do with stopping lexapro, it is actually because you took buspar for 2 weeks which has a similar serotonergic action.

The longer you get off lexapro it will decrease, again I am not a doctor.

If it does eventually subside, please let me know, I would be super curious to know what solved it!

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks. Nervous system is clearly crashed.

No Prozac for 249 days.

@UserMan1775 @Foxclover6thank you for your response! 

This kinda makes sense to me. I have really trying to listen to my body. Since I posted this, something told me to decrease the amount I was taking to .6 mg. 

When I did that, the jitteriness went down (still have it some) and the burning slightly improved? Idk Ive been taking .25 mg Klonopin to help, I know not the best option but from there I'm able to use more coping strategies. 

Now since I dropped the Lexapro from 1 mg to .6 mg (been holding for 15 days) the Restless legs went down  (which I knew is a sign of too much sert and that's why I dropped). But now I have extreme apathy and no motivation. Everything feels blah. I can't laugh and I can't cry. Which I also think is a sign of too much sert. Your opinion? 

Im scared to stop the Lexapro all together. My withdrawal symptoms were so bad. 

Do you think dropping my dose to .4mg would help? 

I think every dose down will help, as it seems the lower you go, many of the side effects are less.

I am not an expert on holding low doses, many other on here are.

The only thing I can comment on is if you do get off, I think those side effects you are mentioning will go away, Especially the pins and needles head burning. I know it sounds, bizarre, but similarly to brain zaps, you are feeling the electrical impulses from the neurons in your brain, which eventually gets compensated naturally, this is almost like the opposite, you are feeling the prickling head burning from the neurons trying to re-absorb but can't and then the serotonin makes you hot.

Which is why you are less hot now, you have less lexapro, and less SERT.

Perhaps using other non-serotenergic methods like your klonopin and propanolol may help, along with this website which recommends all different non-drug techniques to use.

I am still new and as I said not happy at my situation, but thought I would at least advise someone else I think happened to them that had happened to me.

BTW, random question, you don't happen to have IBS do you? I am trying to find trends between this stuff.

No Prozac for 249 days.

@UserMan1775 oh man you might be right with the Buspar. As I was taking it, as the days went on (just two weeks) my head started burning more and more. I didn't but that together. 

4 minutes ago, Alibe said:

@UserMan1775 oh man you might be right with the Buspar. As I was taking it, as the days went on (just two weeks) my head started burning more and more. I didn't but that together. 

Yeah, like it happened to me on prozac, it is not drug dependent, it's the serotonergic action that is causing it, I have read stories on here zoloft, prozac, lexapro, celexa, luvox it can happen on any, and buspar similarly works in this manner.

I do believe if you stop completely the brain will reabsorb it and at least that side effect will go away.

No Prozac for 249 days.

@UserMan1775 your conclusion really sounds spot on cause this is how it went:  I was CT'd off the Lexapro. Felt good for a week, no burning . Then I started buspar after a wash out week and the burning reved up each passing day. I was thinking it was Lex WD because after that week I was having typical antidepressant WD symptoms: OCD thoughts, intrusive thoughts, panic attacks, electrical buzzing all through my body, shivering/ then hot, loose bowels (like 3 times per day) and super emotional. And when I reinstated, my bowels dried, I wasn't get chills and my electric feeling went down, no more crying (still anxious) but then I got other upleasant symptoms as described and been struggling to find the right dose.

I think I'm going to try to reduce my dose and see how I feel. I've been wanting to because I think my body is telling me something with the burning and extreme apathy, but this site highly suggests holding. But each passing day I have the same symptoms no improvement besides when I drop the dose. that's telling me something. I'm too scared to totally go off because I was crying every day and bed bound with electricity.

Yes I have food sensitivities that cause diarrhea. I found I can't have gluten, MSG type seasonings or eggs. 

26 minutes ago, Alibe said:

@UserMan1775 your conclusion really sounds spot on cause this is how it went:  I was CT'd off the Lexapro. Felt good for a week, no burning . Then I started buspar after a wash out week and the burning reved up each passing day. I was thinking it was Lex WD because after that week I was having typical antidepressant WD symptoms: OCD thoughts, intrusive thoughts, panic attacks, electrical buzzing all through my body, shivering/ then hot, loose bowels (like 3 times per day) and super emotional. And when I reinstated, my bowels dried, I wasn't get chills and my electric feeling went down, no more crying (still anxious) but then I got other upleasant symptoms as described and been struggling to find the right dose.

I think I'm going to try to reduce my dose and see how I feel. I've been wanting to because I think my body is telling me something with the burning and extreme apathy, but this site highly suggests holding. But each passing day I have the same symptoms no improvement besides when I drop the dose. that's telling me something. I'm too scared to totally go off because I was crying every day and bed bound with electricity.

Yes I have food sensitivities that cause diarrhea. I found I can't have gluten, MSG type seasonings or eggs. 

Yes, I am not a pro on holding doses.

Interesting, I have a feeling there is something between people with gut sensitivities and being more sensitive to these drugs, I have IBS and taking AD has always completely allowed me to eat almost anything I would like, it's almost like we have more effects maybe from the brain-gut serotonin stuff, but it is just a thought, I asked because I noticed the trend.

Either way, hope I helped and I hope you feel better

No Prozac for 249 days.

7 hours ago, UserMan1775 said:

Which is why you are less hot now, you have less lexapro, and less SERT (blocking).

**Less SERT blocking**

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, Alibe said:

Now since I dropped the Lexapro from 1 mg to .6 mg (been holding for 15 days)

Can you please put each and every time you change your dose in your drug signature.  We need to have that information to be able to advise correctly.  What day did you drop from 1 mg to .6 mg?  

On 1/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, Alibe said:

Do you think dropping my dose to .4mg would help?

We don't want to be jumping around on our dose, just to try and eliminate all our symptoms.  It doesn't work like that.  There is a chance that this will just make you worse.  Reinstatement is not a magic fix for withdrawal.  Reinstatement can help to reduce symptoms.  Making frequent changes to your dose without really allowing them to get into your system puts you at risk of throwing your nervous system off even more, and worsening your symptoms in the long run.  

On 1/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, Alibe said:

And when I reinstated, my bowels dried, I wasn't get chills and my electric feeling went down, no more crying (still anxious) but then I got other upleasant symptoms as described and been struggling to find the right dose.

So it sounds like the reinstatement did help.  What do you mean struggling to find the right dose?   There is no "right dose" that is going to magically cure all your symptoms.  Please, carefully read this link: 

It is important to find a reinstatement dose, and then stick with that for a while, and let your system find stability. 

Edited by getofflex

• 6 months later...
On 12/17/2021 at 8:09 AM, Alibe said:

Hello, here's an update and looking for guidance.

B12 or WD symptoms still?

Dec 4-Dec 8

I only had 5 mg escitalopram pills and "tried" to cut them into 1/8s for the smallest dose I could get of .75 mg.

I tolerated that well for a week. No Akathisia. But still have burning/prickling everywhere (since CT the escitalopram).

Dec 9-Dec 16

I was able to get a prescription of liquid escitalopram. 

Still having WD symptoms, tolerated the .75 mg well and up it to 1 mg. Tolerated well-no Akathisia. Burrning was better (not gone) but only for 2 days.

At the end of this week, I'm burning and prickling everywhere more severely.

I had blood work done and doctor stated my B12 levels are extremely low, along with my ferritin and said thats why I am experiencing the burning/prickling.  (I think it's from withdrawals based on others reports from Lexapro and burning skin...). 

@Alibedid you address the b12 deficiency? 

Aug 2004 - Dec 2006: Aropax ( 20mg - 30mg). Aug 2007: Fluoxetine (for 3 weeks).

Sept 07 - July 12: Lexapro ( 10mg - 20mg). Pooped out July 12. Titrated down off Lexapro over 3 weeks and switched to Paroxetine (with Xanax to cover switch for 2 weeks).

Aug 2012 - Aug 2019: Paroxetine (titrated up to 20mg in first few weeks,, dose reduced to 15mg . for 7 years until it 'pooped out'.

4th Aug 2019 - Reduced dose of paroxetine to 10mg (for 1 day) - under phychiatrists directions. Last dose of paroxetine.

5th Aug 2019 - Switch to 15mg Mirtazapine.

5th Aug - 15th Aug 2019 - 15mg Mirtazapine plus intermitent use of Lorazapm (0.25- 0.5 . Also used 12.5mg Quetiapine for 3 nights for sleep.

23rd Aug 2019 - Ended up in crisis team. Mirtazapine increased to 30mg. Diazapam 10mg twice daily.

30th Aug 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 7.5mg twice daily

6th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 5mg twice daily

13th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine increased to 45mg. Diazapam increased back up to 10mg twice daily.

20th Sept - 29th Sept 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. Diazapam being reduced from 10mg down to 0mg this week (in 2mg increments couple of days).

30th Sept - Thursday 3rd Oct 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. WORST ANXIETY EVER. Akathisia. Couldn't stay still. Suicidal idealization.

Friday 4th October - present: Reduced from 45mg to 30mg (straight drop to alleviate akathisia - reduction definitely helped alot but still not gone completely)

, Vit B6, Curcumin, Magnesium (no adverse effects from adding these supplements - have helped akathisia somewhat).

* Everything done from 23rd August under care of outpatient crisis team management.

Untitled document.docx

@cathnz yes I did through injections over 8 months. Still have the burning/restlessness. I believe I have a form of inner akathisia. I can never relax.