Neurofeedback, brain mapping, and neurostimulation

enufodat

I tried it too for about  6 months at  once per  week. The therapist turned out to be terribly inappropriate, had to discontinue , that  skewed my experience all around. I was sleeping better then , but have to keep better track of all the likely contributors ,supplements, emotional , exercise, stopping nuerofeedback, etc.,  so overwhelming to try and figure out why my sleep has hit the brakes!

Edited by oceana444
forgot to put RITALIN for 20 years in my history

ZOLOFT,  150mg , 1985-1990, switched to EFFEXOR to 1992, then

LEXAPRO until  Sept. 29, 2016

SEROQUEL, 1200mg, 2008-2016

ATIVAN, .5mg, 2008- Sept. 29, 2016

LAMICTIL, 50mg, Sept. 2015-Aug. 2016

ZYPREXA, Dec. 2015- April 2016

CLONOPIN, 4mg, Sept. 2015, fast taper and crossover to liquid VALIUM equalling 1mg Clonopin by Sept. 29, 2016

Cold turkey from VALUIM & LEXAPRO with the NAD IV PROTOCOL Sept. 29, 2016

As I write this, that was one year ago, I'm still here and healing! 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Altostrata

• TroubledThoughts

• Skyler

• JanCarol

7 hours ago, oceana444 said:

I tried it too for about  6 months at  once per  week. The therapist turned out to be terribly inappropriate, had to discontinue , that  skewed my experience all around. I was sleeping better then , but have to keep better track of all the likely contributors ,supplements, emotional , exercise, stopping nuerofeedback, etc.,  so overwhelming to try and figure out why my sleep has hit the brakes!

This is scary, but im glad i asked. ..any more insite from anybody

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

• Moderator Emeritus

My brother in law is a huge proponent of neurofeedback - he says there's neurofeedback, and then there's a zillion fly-by-night clinics who buy a machine and go fiddling in your brain.

Even the solid practitioners are not on top of what withdrawal does to neurons.

I would want to be quite a few years out from withdrawal before I started any neurofeedback.  It's like tampering with an unstable system - it might be dangerous to try until the brain has achieved a sort of steady state and the drugs are no longer there perturbing the situation.

If I ever mood crash again, neurofeedback might be what I go to - but I would never consider it as an option for withdrawal.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

9 hours ago, JanCarol said:

My brother in law is a huge proponent of neurofeedback - he says there's neurofeedback, and then there's a zillion fly-by-night clinics who buy a machine and go fiddling in your brain.

Even the solid practitioners are not on top of what withdrawal does to neurons.

I would want to be quite a few years out from withdrawal before I started any neurofeedback.  It's like tampering with an unstable system - it might be dangerous to try until the brain has achieved a sort of steady state and the drugs are no longer there perturbing the situation.

If I ever mood crash again, neurofeedback might be what I go to - but I would never consider it as an option for withdrawal.

I WOULD BE CANCELING MY APPOINTMENT, tommorow i still have withdrawal, it would have help once i told him i have withdrawal, it would have been nice if he had said come back when you dont have withdrawal... we did mention im experiencing withdrawal. then his reply to me was ''yes its withdrawal.  oh boy.

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

• Moderator Emeritus

To give him credit, Street - he doesn't know what withdrawal does to the brain. 

Most practitioners - of all kinds - naturopaths, acupuncture, holistic healers, MD's, psychiatrists  - do not know.  And no practitioner wants to admit they don't know something so they will often just muddle through!

I think it's wise to cancel your appointment - especially before you spend any money.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• 2 months later...

keep seeing a lot of articles lately about neurostimulation recently, I wonder if this would help us in withdrawal?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/13/neurostimulation-tdcs-ces/

it has already provided a treatment for tinnitus: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5232433/Study-reveals-resetting-brain-cells-cure-tinnitus.html

all looks quite exciting

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of giving Neurofeedback a go. I have been off Paxil for 2.5 years now.  The only symptom I have is anxiety.  Otherwise, I function much like I did prior to getting on the meds. I'm generally happy, can enjoy life, can work, I sleep fine (I might get a bout of insomnia that lasts a week or two but 90% of the last year I sleep no problem).  So, other than anxiety kicking up, I feel pretty good.  The reason for trying is that though my talk therapy helps, along with meditation for calming things down,  I still get anxiety.  It's manageable mostly, but occasionally I get a few days of bad anxiety.  I'm tired of living with this and want to see if this can help me.

I see a lot of negative posts on here, many from people who are suspicious, scared (I don't blame anyone for that but it doesn't help me), and who haven't tried it themselves.  Anyone who has tried it and had positive results for anxiety? I've read and listened to doctors (online) who say it's great for helping anxiety but they readily admit it won't do much for depression. (I don't have depression thankfully).  So, I'm looking for anyone's experience, bad or good, who's actually tried it, and preferably if you're not in the middle of a taper or still suffering an array of WD symptoms.   

Thank you, and good luck to everyone here in their healing process.  I am one of you and though feeling better in many regards, still have pieces to pick up to get back to 'normal.' 

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• 4 months later...

Has anyone done it?  Is there evidence out there?

https://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/neurofeedback-cured-clinical-depression

Just read this article and found it really interesting.

29y.o.  Started Lexapro, 15mg in 2013 for anxiety and depression.

9/28/15- Started taper, went down to 10mg, then 5mg by 10/31/15. 

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

I am strongly considering Neuro feedback for withdrawal AND concussion issues. I disagree that the brain needs to be stable because it’s used great results for people with traumatic brain injuries (which I think wd is similar to). Plus, I’m seeing one of the foremost authorities in neurofeedback and they actually use Neuro feedback to help wean people off anxiety meds. 

Celexa 20 mg 8/26/2016-11/3/2016 (tapered down to 10 and 0 over 2 weeks);

nortriptyline 20 mg 11/4/16-3/30/17. Tapered from 20-15-10-5 from 2/20-3/30;

Effexor 37.5 mg 3/1/17-4/20/17 (tapered up by 1/4 tablet each week from 4/2/17 until 4/21/17).  2 weeks at 37.5 mg dose

Concussion: 8/1/17 caused extreme thoughts and exacerbated withdrawal

Pristiq 8 mg (compounded w/ SR) 2/1/18- 4/15/18 (9 weeks); 6 mg 4/15-4/29/18; 5.5 mg 4/29/18-5/5/18; 5 mg for one week; 4.5 mg for one week; 4 mg one week; 3.5 mg starting 6/5/18

went down by 10% or less each month, splitting the dose between morning and evening.  2/8/2020- Jumped off at 0.2 mg twice a day = 0.2 mg continuous bloodstream concentration.  ZERO mg!! Hope to return with a success story on 2/8/21. Stay tuned

I decided against this after looking into it.   On the upside, I'm feeling about 90% healed and feeling pretty close to what I felt before starting on a 14 year Paxil run.  I need to do an update to give people hope.  

20mg in 2014

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

Don't know anything about neurofeedback.  Why did you decide against it?  So glad to hear you are off Paxil.  Congratulations!!

1995 - 2003 - Lithium -(300 mg 2xday), Paxil - (20mg),  2003 - Stopped Lithium, Paxil eventually increased up to 50 mg  

beginning Paxil reduction:

October 14, 2017 46 mg., Jan 2018  42 mg., April  40 mg,  Feb 8, 2019  37 mg,  Feb. 23,  35 mg.(approx),  March 22,  40 Holding

Levothyroxin - 112/125 mcg, Profanone - 150 mg, Metoprolol - 25 mg Telmisartan - 40 mg, Altostatin - 10 mg , Calcium, Vitamin, Magnesium, Fish Oil

27 minutes ago, Hopefulstill said:

Don't know anything about neurofeedback.  Why did you decide against it?  So glad to hear you are off Paxil.  Congratulations!!

I read that some people who tried it who were creative, found it affected their creativity. That was something I was not willing to risk.  I will update my profile with a few other things I learned.  But yeah, recovery does and will happen.  Damn I'm gonna cry if I keep typing.  

20mg in 2014

6 hours ago, Toulouse said:

I read that some people who tried it who were creative, found it affected their creativity. That was something I was not willing to risk.  I will update my profile with a few other things I learned.  But yeah, recovery does and will happen.  Damn I'm gonna cry if I keep typing.  

Please post, would love to hear an update! I’m feeling pretty lost with this free floating anxiety. 

29y.o.  Started Lexapro, 15mg in 2013 for anxiety and depression.

9/28/15- Started taper, went down to 10mg, then 5mg by 10/31/15. 

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

• 10 months later...

I don’t know if you are still on. I am interested in neurostimulation and neurofeedback. What do you know about it?

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

I purchased Alpha-Stim Aid which I believe is a similar device.  My main symptoms before using the device was insomnia along with what I would call mild to moderate anxiety.  In March, I went to an acupuncturist that used needles and Alpha-Stim when I saw him.  Thought it was helping a little over half the time I was seeing him.  Purchased the device this month to use on regular basis.  Seems to be helping me to sleep better and feel calmer.  Not saying all is perfect or cured but I believe it is making a difference in my situation.  As you can see by my signature, I'm no longer on any AD since Jan 2019 but I do use a lot of supplements.  I try to update my signature frequently because I change the supplements around.  I know at least one of the supplements I take tryptophan should not be used in conjunction with AD just as a side note.

The theory of the device the way I understand it is the micro-current emitted from the device is supposed to get your brain in the Alpha brainwave state (relaxed but awake.)  I'm experimenting with the device at different times and levels.  I think the best time for me to use it before 4pm.

-2005 -2016 60mg Cymbalta

11/2016 abrupt drop to 30mg. Insomnia started (about 2x a week.)

6/29/2017 started aggressive taper. Dosage:6/29 25mg,7/7 20mg,7/10 15mg,7/1713mg,7/18 10 mg,7/22 8mg,7/31 7.5mg,8/1 6.25mg. At 6.25mg insomnia every night (waking 2-4am.) 

8/2017 began up dosing 8/9 7.5mg,8/16 10mg.

Late 2017 new taper from 25mg. Approx 10% reduction per mos (mini-tablets.) 10mg sleep would not stabilize. Cont'd taper meds running out.

Jan 2019 stopped taper at 2.5mg. Using only supplements. Morning 500mg tyrosine, 100mg L-theanine, 600mg NAC. After breakfast 1000mg fish oil, 5mg iron, 2000IU D3, B complex, 500mg ginseng, 50mg ginkgo, probiotics & 50mg zinc. Bedtime 1000mg tryptophan, 500mg gaba, 3mg time released melatonin, 325mg magnesium powder, & 100mg progesterone.

Feb 2019 brain zaps gone. Still have chronic insomnia & anxiety at times.

March 2019-Purchased Alpha Stim

May 2019-sleep still inconsistent.

October 2019- (Morning) L-Tyrosine, Super B complex, 5mg ferritin,fish oil, vit c, (Evening)200mg progesterone, 1mg Natrol Time Release Melatonin, 325mg Calm magnesium, glycine powder. Alpha Stim only seems to help with anxiety not insomnia. Usually wake up nightly average of 2 hours. *Using 25mg Benadryl or 12.5mg Doxylamine Succinate occasionally

Also, there is a thread already related to some of the devices. Hopefully, I'm linking this right.

6/29/2017 started aggressive taper. Dosage:6/29 25mg,7/7 20mg,7/10 15mg,7/1713mg,7/18 10 mg,7/22 8mg,7/31 7.5mg,8/1 6.25mg. At 6.25mg insomnia every night (waking 2-4am.) 

Late 2017 new taper from 25mg. Approx 10% reduction per mos (mini-tablets.) 10mg sleep would not stabilize. Cont'd taper meds running out.

Jan 2019 stopped taper at 2.5mg. Using only supplements. Morning 500mg tyrosine, 100mg L-theanine, 600mg NAC. After breakfast 1000mg fish oil, 5mg iron, 2000IU D3, B complex, 500mg ginseng, 50mg ginkgo, probiotics & 50mg zinc. Bedtime 1000mg tryptophan, 500mg gaba, 3mg time released melatonin, 325mg magnesium powder, & 100mg progesterone.

October 2019- (Morning) L-Tyrosine, Super B complex, 5mg ferritin,fish oil, vit c, (Evening)200mg progesterone, 1mg Natrol Time Release Melatonin, 325mg Calm magnesium, glycine powder. Alpha Stim only seems to help with anxiety not insomnia. Usually wake up nightly average of 2 hours. *Using 25mg Benadryl or 12.5mg Doxylamine Succinate occasionally

5 hours ago, JB1234 said:

I don’t know if you are still on. I am interested in neurostimulation and neurofeedback. What do you know about it?

finally after more than a year someone has posted on my thread, thanks JB1234, sorry still dont know much about neurostimaulation but keep seeing it in the news etc, see below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47803496

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47852578

all looks promising

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

1 hour ago, SDOE said:

I purchased Alpha-Stim Aid which I believe is a similar device.  My main symptoms before using the device was insomnia along with what I would call mild to moderate anxiety.  In March, I went to an acupuncturist that used needles and Alpha-Stim when I saw him.  Thought it was helping a little over half the time I was seeing him.  Purchased the device this month to use on regular basis.  Seems to be helping me to sleep better and feel calmer.  Not saying all is perfect or cured but I believe it is making a difference in my situation.  As you can see by my signature, I'm no longer on any AD since Jan 2019 but I do use a lot of supplements.  I try to update my signature frequently because I change the supplements around.  I know at least one of the supplements I take tryptophan should not be used in conjunction with AD just as a side note.

The theory of the device the way I understand it is the micro-current emitted from the device is supposed to get your brain in the Alpha brainwave state (relaxed but awake.)  I'm experimenting with the device at different times and levels.  I think the best time for me to use it before 4pm.

this is great, so happy to hear its helping you, just looked and they sell it on amazon, very pricy but worth it if it gives better sleep and helps with anxiety:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Stim-Anxiety-Insomnia-Depression/dp/B071L6TXRJ

I purchased directly from Alpha-Stim on their website. I would be careful about purchasing from places other than directly from Alpha-Stim to ensure a valid 5 year limited warranty. 

It does require a doctor to write the script for purchase which my acupuncturist did for me.  I read someone else had their primary doctor write a script and Alpha-Stim site has something about them helping to hire a sherpa doctor if you want a script that way.  It is expensive ($795 USD) but after the second appointment I had, I could tell something was different. I was calmer and at peace for the rest of the day until morning then feelings of anxiety came back. 

Best case scenario is to find a practitioner that has one to test out as I did before making such an investment.  I don't know what percentage of people it helps.

https://www.alpha-stim.com/

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone, I wanted to share this information that really worked for me.

I have not been paid in anyway to share this. I just wanted to help others who are suffering like me because I know how terrible it feels.

I have been dealing with such terrible anxiety and depressive mood while tapering and I was devastated because I knew I had to go through this hell for so many months and years down the road.

I have tried using ashgawanda, which did not work and back fired causing hot flashes due to increase of hormone. 

I did practice more self care and  meditation and added healthy supplements but I still had these high anxiety and depressive mood.

This window and waves were happening in close time.

However, with this neurofeedback I drastically lost my anxiety and I don't feel depressed mood.

I'm not sure if anyone ever did neurofeedback and had good result but it sure did for me.

Only the down side is it s very pricy.

I used to wake up with anxiety attacks and had terrible sleep. All these subsided while doing neurofeedback.

Please do your own research also before trying it but just wanted to share this hoping if this will help anyone else.

Make sure you visit or do this with reliable practice.

Place where I used is called peakbraininstitute.com

Dr.Andrew Hill (not a therapist) Neuroscientist is the head of the whole practice.

As I mentioned I do not work there or has anything to do with them to advertise.  

I was their client who really found amazing result. 

Best luck to everyone, and I wish you all smooth healing.

- 2007 Celexa 20mg - 2012 Celexa increased to 40mg - 2017 Celexa decreased to 20mg - 2018 (April) Switched to Pristiq 50mg - 2018 (September) Increased to 100mg of Pristiq

- 2020 July Decreased Pristiq to 75mg - 2020 September 50mg - 2020 December 5th, 50mg - 2020 December 6th, 25mg - 2021 January increased to Pristiq 50mg 

- 2021 February 12, 45mg - 2021 March 14, 40 mg - 2021 April 13, 36 mg - 2021 May 13,  32.4 mg / HOLD Due to family sickness / June 22, 29.16 mg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi freeway, I am checking in to it. How many sessions did you do? I am struggling so with anxiety and heard this is helpful. Thank you. Rachie

Paxil  2000 - 2002  Tried unsuccessfully to discontinue

2002 - 2010 A series of trial and error, Wellbutrin, Effexor and unsuccessful attempts to discontinue.  

2010 - 2017 Lexapro With several unsuccessful attempts to withdraw 

2012 - 2017 Lamictal Successfully withdrew Lamictal no problem

2017 - 2020 Switched to 40mg. Prozac to prepare try another Withdrawal. 

2020 - On 15mg Remeron for a few months during withdrawal

Completely off of Antidepressants since Sept. 2020

Klonipin as needed throughout the process. .25 mostly, some .5, some .125,  2 to 12 times per mo.

Hi @rachie!

I did a 3 months program with peak brain which is about 40 sessions and you can do them at your own home since they mail it out to you as well.

My only recommendation is make sure you go to the right place or the right person that really knows the system if not it can cause adverse effect or does nothing.

Wish you best luck and feel free to ask anything I will give me honest answer. =) 

- 2007 Celexa 20mg - 2012 Celexa increased to 40mg - 2017 Celexa decreased to 20mg - 2018 (April) Switched to Pristiq 50mg - 2018 (September) Increased to 100mg of Pristiq

- 2020 July Decreased Pristiq to 75mg - 2020 September 50mg - 2020 December 5th, 50mg - 2020 December 6th, 25mg - 2021 January increased to Pristiq 50mg 

- 2021 February 12, 45mg - 2021 March 14, 40 mg - 2021 April 13, 36 mg - 2021 May 13,  32.4 mg / HOLD Due to family sickness / June 22, 29.16 mg

After doing it do you feel like you had lasting effects. I'm 8 months off the AD with constant anxiety and lots of dread(but less than a few months ago) I'm doing a few psychotherapy things but this seems like it deals more with the physical and the anxiety driver feels very physical. Is this while withdrawal process behind you. 

Paxil  2000 - 2002  Tried unsuccessfully to discontinue

2002 - 2010 A series of trial and error, Wellbutrin, Effexor and unsuccessful attempts to discontinue.  

2010 - 2017 Lexapro With several unsuccessful attempts to withdraw 

2012 - 2017 Lamictal Successfully withdrew Lamictal no problem

2017 - 2020 Switched to 40mg. Prozac to prepare try another Withdrawal. 

2020 - On 15mg Remeron for a few months during withdrawal

Completely off of Antidepressants since Sept. 2020

Klonipin as needed throughout the process. .25 mostly, some .5, some .125,  2 to 12 times per mo.

I did this while I was going through this hell of WD and I really needed something to aid my symptoms especially anxiety. 

I am always anxious and always was but after WD it got so bad that my brain was so obsessed with anxiety and all I could think and feel was anxiety 24/7! But NF works in a strange way where it shuts your brain off from being so highly paranoid. 

My morning anxiety attacks that I've been suffering ever since lower my meds has really subsided. 

They said it is a permanent change once you get it trained and as long as you don't abuse yourself by doing drugs or alcohol.

So far with NF I am living in different life. It is very pricy so be aware. 

I am not so good at explaining scientific things properly. 

Try to YouTube search Dr.Andrew Hill and anxiety also.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here who has been dealing with a difficult psychiatric drug withdrawal had brain mapping done and then any kind of Neuro stimulation therapies such as neuro feedback that was based on the results of the brain mapping?  I just spoke to a psychiatrist today who swears she’s helped lots of people dealing with difficult withdrawals through brain mapping and Neuro stimulation therapie.  But I can’t find much on the Internet or anywhere else about this treatment.

Effexor 56.25 mg 1996-2018 tapered off in 3 months — last dose May 31, 2018

Temazepam 15 mg August-Oct 2019, switch to 7.5 mg Valium to taper, last dose Feb 2019

Trazodone 100 mg January 2021 began taper April 2021 three 12.5 mg cuts every two weeks.  Upped dose 6.25 mg late May 2021, current holding at 62.5 hoping to stabilize

• Moderator Emeritus

WIthdrawal is not a time to do neuro-stimulation.

Of course a psychiatrist has a "treatment."

And I do know people who have benefitted from Neurofeedback - but they were not in withdrawal.

Additionally, the "neurofeedback" field is a bit of wild west.  People buy a machine, run fMRI's and off they go.  There are only a few clinics in the world who are doing this ethically, imo.  

Amen Clinic does a lot of work with this, but it is controversial.  Amen seems to claim that he can do magic things with the brain using his wizardry.  Mainstream practitioners hate him (naturally), but there are questions as to whether he is getting the results he claims.  Apparently he is extremely expensive, as well.

There is a discussion about Amen Clinic, starting here:  

where members decided that he was overpriced, and his claims were too good to be true.

I'm leary of any "treatment," especially from a psychiatrist.

Additionally, you might wish to read this Mad In America article about TMS - "fiddling the brain" is not a good solution.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2020/04/tms-damaged-my-brain/

https://www.madinamerica.com/2020/12/seizures-constant-headaches-my-tms-experience/

https://www.madinamerica.com/2021/01/tms-hurt/

It's not the same "treatment," but it's still a Wild West of doctors scrambling to find solutions for the problems they have caused - without admitting they've caused the problem.

JanCarol, thanks for your reply, which makes me more leery of neuro feedback  than I was before.  However, I did not find the discussion of the Amen Clinic in the post about Akathesia you linked me to.  Are you sure that was the right post?.

FYI, I did 60 TMS sessions about eight months ago, and I did not have any of the negative reactions described in those MAD in America articles but it didn’t really help me either.

Temazepam 15 mg August-Oct 2019, switch to 7.5 mg Valium to taper, last dose Feb 2019

Trazodone 100 mg January 2021 began taper April 2021 three 12.5 mg cuts every two weeks.  Upped dose 6.25 mg late May 2021, current holding at 62.5 hoping to stabilize

• 2 weeks later...

My partner, who is a mental health practitioner specializing in psychophysiology, has been really encouraging me to do neurofeedback with a colleague of his. It gets awkward because I don't want to say that I have doubts about something he has studied extensively and does for a living (although he doesn't do neurofeedback himself) but...I do have doubts. And it is expensive.

AD since ~2000, 10 mg Lexapro since ~2003 Jan. 2021 - upped to 20mg Lexapro

Early June 2021 - added 5mg of Buspar twice a day and started quick taper to 10mg

July 11 - 10mg of Lexapro, 5mg x2 of Buspar - July 17 - bad crash

August 6 - reinstated at 15mg of Lexapro; holding steady with this and 5mg x2 of Buspar before attempting another taper 

Sept. 26 - replaced the 15mg of Lexapro with 10mg/5mL of liquid Celexa. Continuing with 5mg x 2 of Buspar. Bad idea!

Oct. 2 - back to 15mg Lexapro/5mg x2 of Buspar

I tried neurofeedback back in June. Some of the things they tried helped with intrusive thoughts and rumination, but some things just made me exponentially worse. I don’t think I’d recommend it for anyone going through withdrawal. Interestingly, the QEEG they did revealed that my brain was globally dysfunctional; they said it looked as if regions of my brain had stopped talking to each other and were shutting down. Not exactly reassuring, but I suppose it would make sense given my symptoms.

12/23/20 - started fluoxetine 20mg/day

1/2/21 - adverse reaction symptoms appeared

1/5/21 - stopped fluoxetine CT

present - some symptoms have remitted, but most have remained

Symptoms that have fully remitted: phantosmia, burning/tingling sensations on skin, muscle spasms

Symptoms that have partially remitted: numbness, DP/DR, impaired coordination, panic attacks

Symptoms that are still present: mental and physical fatigue, cognitive impairment(memory, concentration, problem solving, executive function, etc…), visual snow/retinal after images, headaches, feeling hungover, anhedonia, aphasia, loss of emotions, confusion/disorientation, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance, sensitivity to light/sound/temperature, depression, anxiety, “nervous system overload” feeling, sexual dysfunction(remitted and relapsed)

GeoJeep, thanks for the reply.  Did you feel there was any value in getting the QEEG if you do not recommend the neurofeedback for someone in withdrawal?

5 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

GeoJeep, thanks for the reply.  Did you feel there was any value in getting the QEEG if you do not recommend the neurofeedback for someone in withdrawal?

Not particularly. If you’re in withdrawal, you already know your brain isn’t functioning right. You don’t need a brain map to tell you how messed up it is, and I think it would probably more scary than helpful to see the results for most people.

12/23/20 - started fluoxetine 20mg/day

1/2/21 - adverse reaction symptoms appeared

1/5/21 - stopped fluoxetine CT

present - some symptoms have remitted, but most have remained

Symptoms that have fully remitted: phantosmia, burning/tingling sensations on skin, muscle spasms

Symptoms that have partially remitted: numbness, DP/DR, impaired coordination, panic attacks

Symptoms that are still present: mental and physical fatigue, cognitive impairment(memory, concentration, problem solving, executive function, etc…), visual snow/retinal after images, headaches, feeling hungover, anhedonia, aphasia, loss of emotions, confusion/disorientation, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance, sensitivity to light/sound/temperature, depression, anxiety, “nervous system overload” feeling, sexual dysfunction(remitted and relapsed)

• 1 month later...

Hi @Altostrata,

I read all the discussions but could not destillate the current view of the moderators here on neurofeedback. 

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Neurofeedback, brain mapping, and neurostimulation
  • Administrator

@Fromthenetherlands There are many remedies that we leave to your own judgment. The staff is helping people with tapering and withdrawal and cannot keep up with trendy cures, new ones being hyped all the time.

Read what others have experienced and make your own decisions.

If you try this, please post your experience here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone and in particular @Altostrata,

This month I have started with neurofeedback. I did 4 sessions in total. I am really suprised by the effects. I immediately started noticing improvements in my memory after the first session. The improvement seems to get better after each session. I was pretty sceptical at the beginning, but am very happy by the effect i gained. I wanted to share this experience with people here on SA. I am doing the SMR-protocol. I first did a qeeg-scan, but nothing strange appeared on the scan. Then the center decided to apply the SMR-protocol. My memory isnt what it was still, but the improvement I gained is very precious for me. I now can enter old memories and associate better therefore. I also can communicate on a better level since I can keep up with what my counterpart said. Before even following that could be difficult. The advice is to do at least 30 sessions. I will try to finish this. It is important that I am going to a well known center in my country where they have good experience with neurofeedback. 

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

Thanks for the update. continue to let us know how it goes.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy