enufodat

Neurofeedback

oceana444

I tried it too for about  6 months at  once per  week. The therapist turned out to be terribly inappropriate, had to discontinue , that  skewed my experience all around. I was sleeping better then , but have to keep better track of all the likely contributors ,supplements, emotional , exercise, stopping nuerofeedback, etc.,  so overwhelming to try and figure out why my sleep has hit the brakes!

Edited by oceana444
forgot to put RITALIN for 20 years in my history

street129
7 hours ago, oceana444 said:

I tried it too for about  6 months at  once per  week. The therapist turned out to be terribly inappropriate, had to discontinue , that  skewed my experience all around. I was sleeping better then , but have to keep better track of all the likely contributors ,supplements, emotional , exercise, stopping nuerofeedback, etc.,  so overwhelming to try and figure out why my sleep has hit the brakes!

This is scary, but im glad i asked. ..any more insite from anybody

JanCarol

My brother in law is a huge proponent of neurofeedback - he says there's neurofeedback, and then there's a zillion fly-by-night clinics who buy a machine and go fiddling in your brain.

Even the solid practitioners are not on top of what withdrawal does to neurons.

I would want to be quite a few years out from withdrawal before I started any neurofeedback.  It's like tampering with an unstable system - it might be dangerous to try until the brain has achieved a sort of steady state and the drugs are no longer there perturbing the situation.

If I ever mood crash again, neurofeedback might be what I go to - but I would never consider it as an option for withdrawal.

street129
9 hours ago, JanCarol said:

My brother in law is a huge proponent of neurofeedback - he says there's neurofeedback, and then there's a zillion fly-by-night clinics who buy a machine and go fiddling in your brain.

Even the solid practitioners are not on top of what withdrawal does to neurons.

I would want to be quite a few years out from withdrawal before I started any neurofeedback.  It's like tampering with an unstable system - it might be dangerous to try until the brain has achieved a sort of steady state and the drugs are no longer there perturbing the situation.

If I ever mood crash again, neurofeedback might be what I go to - but I would never consider it as an option for withdrawal.

I WOULD BE CANCELING MY APPOINTMENT, tommorow i still have withdrawal, it would have help once i told him i have withdrawal, it would have been nice if he had said come back when you dont have withdrawal... we did mention im experiencing withdrawal. then his reply to me was ''yes its withdrawal.  oh boy.

JanCarol

To give him credit, Street - he doesn't know what withdrawal does to the brain. 

Most practitioners - of all kinds - naturopaths, acupuncture, holistic healers, MD's, psychiatrists  - do not know.  And no practitioner wants to admit they don't know something so they will often just muddle through!

I think it's wise to cancel your appointment - especially before you spend any money.

Toulouse

I am thinking of giving Neurofeedback a go. I have been off Paxil for 2.5 years now.  The only symptom I have is anxiety.  Otherwise, I function much like I did prior to getting on the meds. I'm generally happy, can enjoy life, can work, I sleep fine (I might get a bout of insomnia that lasts a week or two but 90% of the last year I sleep no problem).  So, other than anxiety kicking up, I feel pretty good.  The reason for trying is that though my talk therapy helps, along with meditation for calming things down,  I still get anxiety.  It's manageable mostly, but occasionally I get a few days of bad anxiety.  I'm tired of living with this and want to see if this can help me.

I see a lot of negative posts on here, many from people who are suspicious, scared (I don't blame anyone for that but it doesn't help me), and who haven't tried it themselves.  Anyone who has tried it and had positive results for anxiety? I've read and listened to doctors (online) who say it's great for helping anxiety but they readily admit it won't do much for depression. (I don't have depression thankfully).  So, I'm looking for anyone's experience, bad or good, who's actually tried it, and preferably if you're not in the middle of a taper or still suffering an array of WD symptoms.   

Thank you, and good luck to everyone here in their healing process.  I am one of you and though feeling better in many regards, still have pieces to pick up to get back to 'normal.' 

Brussellsprout

I am strongly considering Neuro feedback for withdrawal AND concussion issues. I disagree that the brain needs to be stable because it’s used great results for people with traumatic brain injuries (which I think wd is similar to). Plus, I’m seeing one of the foremost authorities in neurofeedback and they actually use Neuro feedback to help wean people off anxiety meds. 

Toulouse

I decided against this after looking into it.   On the upside, I'm feeling about 90% healed and feeling pretty close to what I felt before starting on a 14 year Paxil run.  I need to do an update to give people hope.  

Hopefulstill

Don't know anything about neurofeedback.  Why did you decide against it?  So glad to hear you are off Paxil.  Congratulations!!

Toulouse
27 minutes ago, Hopefulstill said:

Don't know anything about neurofeedback.  Why did you decide against it?  So glad to hear you are off Paxil.  Congratulations!!

I read that some people who tried it who were creative, found it affected their creativity. That was something I was not willing to risk.  I will update my profile with a few other things I learned.  But yeah, recovery does and will happen.  Damn I'm gonna cry if I keep typing.  

lavendertealatte
6 hours ago, Toulouse said:

I read that some people who tried it who were creative, found it affected their creativity. That was something I was not willing to risk.  I will update my profile with a few other things I learned.  But yeah, recovery does and will happen.  Damn I'm gonna cry if I keep typing.  

Please post, would love to hear an update! I’m feeling pretty lost with this free floating anxiety.