SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

FeralCatman: recovering from Seroquel

FeralCatman

One more thing to add. Some may wonder what happened to the MCAS (Mast Cell Activation Syndrome) theory I was so sure about a while back. All of my tests came back normal which is great because MCAS is not a fun disease to try and manage especially on top of my other issues. This is how this all was mistaken for MCAS.

MCAS is a cause of histamine intolerance symptoms.

DAO deficiency / suppression is also a cause of histamine intolerance symptoms.

DAO suppression coupled with an unbalanced ANS (dysautonomia induced by drug use / withdrawal) was able to combine and cause severe enough symptoms so as to look like a nasty case of MCAS but it is not. It is 2 separate problems.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

UPDATE:

Tomorrow will mark 10 months off of the Seroquel. I am definitely doing better after quite a rough spell. I see my nutritionist on Thursday and I see my Immunologist next Tuesday. After that I will be able to write a critique of the last few months regarding what I did wrong, assumptions I and my doctors made that were wrong, things I would have done differently, and what helped get through it. Here are statistics for May 2022 which is month 9 off of the Seroquel.

4 Bad Days                     12.9  %

10 Mediocre Days          32.3 %

12 Good Days                 38.7 %

5 Normal Days                16.1  %

Days that were good or above 54.8%

I didn't mark things on my calendar last month but I know the statistics would have been far more skewed towards the Bad / Mediocre days so there has been quite a bit of improvement recently. This is the best I've felt since trying to start reducing the Allegra back in the middle of December so this rough patch lasted for about 4.5 months with a peak of 'badness' about half way through.

Hopefully the current trend will continue. I will do this monthly until I consider myself recovered so people can see what the rate of recovery is in an easy to understand format.

2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

In the previous post 'Normal' means fully functional for the entire day with no symptoms.

@Freedom4Ever I find it very helpful to see where I have been. When I am feeling particularly bad is when this is most helpful. When you are having a rough patch it can be impossible to remember that not long ago you felt alright. All you can focus on is feeling bad. This helps to remind me that bad days happen and that they pass. I find that knowledge and the reminder on my calendar to be the most helpful thing I have to navigate my way through a bad spell.

UPDATE

So I confirmed, the hard way as always, that all of these crazy symptoms I have had over the last several months were gut / dietary related.

I tried eating beets as a new addition back into my diet on Friday. Bad idea it turns out. Had an adrenaline surge while eating them then nothing until late the next day. I started getting abdominal pain both lower and upper, adrenaline surges, anxiety, increased BP, etc. All of the same stuff that sent me to the ER twice earlier this year. Weirdest of all that night I had to get up and urinate every hour and as a result got almost no sleep Saturday night. Yesterday I felt horrible in the morning. I went back to a basic diet of chicken, broccoli, Asparagaus, potato, scrambled eggs, and water and by the end of the day felt much better and last night I only got up twice to urinate and had almost 7 hours of sleep. Amazing. I never would have thought a food could have that much power over your body but I am now a believer. The good news here is that my recovery from this episode was much quicker than the last time so more evidence of progress and healing.

So, in an excited sympathetic dominant state as I am now in, anything that affects digestion and gut motility triggers a fight or flight response. I believe that this will change over time but for awhile I will have to keep things very basic and go very slowly. But now I have the verified key to staying functional and getting much needed sleep.

Part of the issue I think is that the corrections my body is making to get back to homeostatic functioning seem to be accelerating. My blood sugars have dropped again and I am now getting 20% of my readings below 100. Anything between 70 and 100 is normal. My sugars at night, which used to be my highest levels while on Seroquel, are now fluctuating between 70 and 105 which is just about normal. My morning spike in sugars is now happening at around 6 am as it should and it is not dramatic any more. It is just a small blip like it should be. I am getting readings during the day below 100 now as well and spikes after eating are getting smaller and are recovering faster. Insulin resistance is getting better. No more 3 am sugar spikes so my cortisol levels are probably changing now. All good stuff but very stressful on the body which I believe is why my body is so hyper reactive right now. I am constantly on the cusp of a reaction and it doesn't take much to tip the scales. In this case, since beets are high in fiber, I think it may have been too hard on my digestion since my guts are out of whack and they tipped the scales. I believe that all of this will slowly correct itself slowly over time. I am also down to 169 lbs which is the lowest in 28 years. I am 2 lbs closer to fitting back into my dress blues. 😁

Now that I know all of this my timeline for gut repair has been stretched way out. I am down to 50% of my Nexium and doing okay. It will take another 5 weeks to get off of it. I will take a week or two for my stomach to stabilize and then slowly start the probiotic. If that goes okay then week by week I will try other things as suggested by my nutritionist. Once that is done then I will start trying to expand my diet one thing at a time one week at a time and I know what symptoms to look for and when to back off. I now have a 6 lead EKG at home so I have everything I need to monitor things and know when I need to go to the ER. I don't think that will happen as these reactions don't seem to be dangerous only massively uncomfortable and If I back off immediately they are short lived. All good things.

That's it for now. I will update as time goes by and I continue to heal.

Sounds more positive.  

Hope you continue to improve. 

OD 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

Also, my nutritionist suggested CO Q10 supplementation. Many people on statins develop a deficiency in this enzyme which can affect, among other things, the ability of the body to convert food to energy for cell function which can lead to fatigue and other symptoms. There is a CO Q10 blood test and I messaged my PCP about it and am waiting for a response. CO Q10 is something your body makes naturally so it shouldn't cause issues though as we all know everyone is different so what works for one may be bad for another. CO Q10 has, in some studies, been shown to be good for cholesterol numbers. In my case it may work in place of a statin since my numbers are not very high. Other drugs that interfere with this enzyme are:

https://www.healthydirections.com/articles/heart-health/medications-that-deplete-coq10-and-the-coq10-dosage-you-need

Antidiabetic Medications

• Acetohexamide
  • Chlorpropamide
  • Glimepiride
  • Glipizide
  • Glyburide
  • Sulfonylureas
  • Tolazamide
  • Tolbutamide

Psychotherapeutic Medications

• Amitriptyline
  • Butyrophenones
  • Chlorpromazine
  • Desipramine
  • Doxepin
  • Fluphenazine
  • Haloperidol
  • Imipramine
  • Nortriptyline
  • Phenothiazines
  • Thioridazine
  • Tricyclic Antidepressants

Heart Medications

This is not supplementation advice in any way shape or form. Only FYI to better understand the effects psychiatric and other drugs have on our bodies.

@Frogie

I have been searching for posts on what is a good antacid to use when in WD and am not having much luck. Are there any threads that address this? I am thinking of just using baking soda and water when needed while tapering off of the Nexium.

@FeralCatman
I find Gaviscon Advance worked than the proton pump inhibitor I was on. 

OD 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

@OldDodgy Thank you. I will give it a try.

UPDATE

I finally had my appointment with immunology. He confirmed that all of the MCAS labs looked normal and therefore I do not have a Mast Cell Problem and my issues are not immunological. Excellent news. He had another doctor with him as well as a Harvard Med Student. I explained my withdrawal induced dysautonomia theory about what is going on with me. They all said it makes total sense and they agreed with me. So, that pretty much seals the deal that this is protracted withdrawal related and I can move forward with less worry and no more having to carry an epi-pen with me everywhere I go since any allergic reactions I previously had should not be any different. Thank goodness.

I have more good news out of this meeting. It is entirely possible that, once my diabetes is gone, my guts are restored, my body is stabilized, a normal activity schedule has resumed, and I can eat a more varied diet that my immune deficiency may improve or even go away altogether. That would be AWESOME!!! I am very tired of having to worry about it and it will be nice to be able to move around through the world with less worry and a greater sense of safety. I won't know for another year since immune system changes tend to be slow but it is something to hope for and hopefully look forward to.

All of these good things are coming out of my decision to take my health into my own hands and to get off these meds, however long it takes. It makes the suffering worth it.

Now that the puzzle is complete I can write a summary and critique and will do so as I have the energy. When it is done I will post it in another update.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and helping me solve this puzzle and get through all of this. 😉✌️😸😸😸😸

I just posted the following in Symptoms and Self Care and thought it worth posting here as well. Here is the link.

"As a result of my protracted withdrawal from Seroquel I have developed an issue with having adrenaline surges while eating. I looked this up on line and found a blog for people who have various forms of dysautonomia. Many people in withdrawal develop dysautonomic type symptoms while recovering so I thought a link to this blog could be helpful in dealing with some of the symptoms that we are experiencing. This link is to the Dysautonomia Information Network and many people with Dysautonomia not related to drug withdrawal experience this particular symptom and there is a lot of good information on what may be causing it and how to deal with it and make it less troublesome."

https://www.dinet.org/forums/topic/8817-adrenaline-rush-brought-on-by-eating/

Since many of my symptoms are dysautonomic in nature my PCP has given me 2 new diagnosis to have on the record for if I have to deal with a hospital or other doctors who do not know my situation. The ideal is to have them see something in the record other than a mental health diagnosis as an explanation for any odd symptoms or reactions that may crop up. Too many doctors see a mental health diagnosis and go straight to the assumption that it is simply all in your head which as you all know is not the case in many cases. Having this in the record will give them something else to chew on and also alert them to be aware that anything they do may cause funky and unexpected reactions. The diagnosis are:

1. Idiopathic Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy

2. Disorder of Autonomic Nervous System

These diagnosis apply to my current situation as do any treatments such as the beta blocker I am on for now.

Additionally, I have had reactions to many of the psychiatric meds I have been on. Those meds and their reactions, including Seroquel now, are listed as allergies in my record. This way, no one can legally give those to me again even if someone tried to pull a forced medication card on me. This is an unlikely possibility but at this point in my life, after 50 + years on the planet, I firmly believe in the CYA mode of operation. So many of the anti psychotics I have been on have caused reactions that it is doubtful, once they see my records, that any doctor would try to prescribe one to me again. By doing this I feel better protected against having to go through this again.

5 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

Since many of my symptoms are dysautonomic in nature my PCP has given me 2 new diagnosis to have on the record for if I have to deal with a hospital or other doctors who do not know my situation. The ideal is to have them see something in the record other than a mental health diagnosis as an explanation for any odd symptoms or reactions that may crop up. Too many doctors see a mental health diagnosis and go straight to the assumption that it is simply all in your head which as you all know is not the case in many cases. Having this in the record will give them something else to chew on and also alert them to be aware that anything they do may cause funky and unexpected reactions. The diagnosis are:

1. Idiopathic Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy

2. Disorder of Autonomic Nervous System

These diagnosis apply to my current situation as do any treatments such as the beta blocker I am on for now.

Additionally, I have had reactions to many of the psychiatric meds I have been on. Those meds and their reactions, including Seroquel now, are listed as allergies in my record. This way, no one can legally give those to me again even if someone tried to pull a forced medication card on me. This is an unlikely possibility but at this point in my life, after 50 + years on the planet, I firmly believe in the CYA mode of operation. So many of the anti psychotics I have been on have caused reactions that it is doubtful, once they see my records, that any doctor would try to prescribe one to me again. By doing this I feel better protected against having to go through this again.

This is exactly what I suspect my diagnosis will be.  Unfortunately in my case, it happened after my first and only antidepressant experience.

I have since tracked my symptoms and in my case, drastic weather changes cause most of my symptoms. 

There are a couple of articles and papers that describe my symptoms which I believe have something to do with autonomic functioning - specifically around parasympathetic/vagal excess, trpv1 receptors, C fibers, and baroreceptors. 

Specifically for me, it revolves around three areas - the head (sinus, ears), the pelvis (gut, urinary tract), and extremities (hands below elbows and legs below knees).

Hope you find these helpful - 

https://franklincardiovascular.com/vasovagal-syncope-and-chronic-vagal-excess/

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2019/10/14/phantom-nasal-congestion-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia/

https://www.jnmjournal.org/journal/view.html?uid=824&vmd=Full&

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00051.2002

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/01.cir.0000017186.52382.f4

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

@tsranga I suspect that my current symptoms are withdrawal related and will ultimately clear up with time. Unfortunately while that is happening these diagnosis do apply and it sucks. Dealing with hospitals is very scary right now because they just do not listen to anyone, especially those with a mental health diagnosis so having this on the record should help mitigate some of that risk. My hope is that this is not some sort of underlying condition but I doubt it. Time will tell. For myself things are very slowly improving. As of yesterday the difficulty urinating went away and is now back to normal so that is a good sign. My sleep is improving in bursts and my diabetes is going away so all good stuff.

I am sorry to hear you are having similar troubles but hopefully your symptoms will eventually clear up. Hard to know the long view but from what I have read on this and other sites many people go through the same things and ultimately heal up so that is my assumption for now for the both of us. These meds really do a number on the body. My acupuncturist told me about another patient of his who is recovering from heavy duty chemotherapy and she is suffering from many of the same symptoms that we in drug withdrawal suffer from and her recovery is taking a long time so that really says a lot.

Thank you for the links I will definitely check them all out.

Stay strong 😉✌️😺😺😺😺

UPDATE

Something odd and unexpected but good happened yesterday. It is still happening this morning.

Yesterday I went to pick up a load of groceries. It involves a bit of a trip through a mountain pass. While in the parking lot waiting for my pick up time I was enjoying the view and listening to some music. Suddenly I noticed a change but couldn't nail it down. On the way home I realized that colors had become brighter and deeper. Contrast became sharper. Shadows become more defined. I was being overcome at the same time by an overwhelming sense of peace and relaxation. Not to be confused with fatigue. It was like I had been seeing the world through my grandparents old console color television from the 1970's and then suddenly the picture changed and I was now seeing the world on a high end flat screen in full HD. Another analogy would be that I had been seeing the world through an opaque slightly grayed and fuzzy filter and suddenly the filter was pulled away and everything became clear and sharp. It was a truly bizarre experience but very welcome. The only comparable experience was when I had Lazik years ago. The before and after differences in my vision were shocking.

I am not really sure how to explain this other than to assume more changes are happening in my brain as more repair takes place. Another sign of healing and so far no bad days in June (Month 11 off of the Seroquel), all are mediocre or better so far. 😁✌️😸😸😸😸

@FeralCatman

Thank you for sharing this uplifting update. I'm happy for you!

Very encouraging to read about your experience. 

You've made my day better. Thank you <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

UPDATE

Looks like the diabetes is gone. I am down to being just slightly hyperglycemic. This morning for the first time my fasting sugar was 98 which is normal. My reaction to carbs is no longer extreme and it has been over a week since I have had a sugar level even come close to 180 even after a potato. Yesterday I ate a potato and my sugar maxed out at 154 and recovered quickly. More and more my sugars are hovering at just slightly above normal. My weight is steady at 169 and for the first time in years I can eat 3 times a day without gaining weight so this indicates metabolic recovery. YAYYYY!!!!!!!! 😁

The waking anxiety is gone as are the adrenaline surges and morning sugar spikes. Last night I was able to sleep for 5 hours solid, get up to urinate, and fall back asleep for a couple of more hours for a total of 7 hours of good sleep. First time in many months. My GI symptoms are finally calming down and I am down to 40% of my Nexium dose. My hands and feet are not getting as cold so my circulation is getting better. My tolerance for physical activity is also slowly improving. The key here will be to let my body lead the way and as long as I listen carefully this trend should continue. I just need to resist the urge to sprint to the finish line.

All in all things seem to be leveling out and everything seems to be recovering.

Once I am able to get off of the Metoprolol and am stable off of that for a couple of months I will consider myself a Seroquel recovery success story. Not there yet but certainly well on my way.

Additionally, this new diagnosis of Dysautonomia may in fact be partially a chronic problem that was exacerbated by the drug withdrawal and not entirely caused by it. It can actually be what caused the severe GI symptoms I had earlier this year as well as the adrenaline surges. For many it is just a part of withdrawal and there is complete recover. However, in researching the topic I found an article in an anesthesiology journal regarding anesthesia resistance and dysautonomia. Apparently it is a common feature they have to be aware of in patients with Dysautonomia and there are special precautions they have to take. Anesthesia resistance has been a life long problem for me and I have actually woken up during surgery. Not a fun thing to have happen. Things like lidocaine, demerol, oxycontin, etc just don't work well on me. This problem started when I was 3 years old. So, it is possible that I have an underlying chronic nervous system issue that makes me chronically sympathetic dominant though on a much lower level of severity as compared to my recent experiences. No way to know for sure but this is the only reference to anesthesia resistance that I have ever found. So since most of what you do for this problem is self care and acute symptom management I am going to make the assumption that this is a chronic condition and follow the guidelines for diet and self care as they certainly cannot do any damage and may help in the long run. The other thing I learned is that many patients with Dysautonomia end up on tranquilizers (Seroquel, Ativan) and antidepressants (Paxil) and that these medications actually worsen the imbalance in the long run. It will be interesting to see what happens when I am finally med free.

😁✌️😸😸😸😸

@FeralCatman

Hi 

I so pleased for you that things are working out. 
Your pancreas has survived the Sero insult and if you really look after it all should be ok. 

I told my Doc my Hbiac was rising on Sero and sadly she didn’t want me to come off if.

So I did-)))  

Of course you know that the Hbiac is a much better marker of how you are going. I send mine off every 6 months to London and it’s nice n low now !  

You might want to check with your doc about metoprolol because it too can raise your blood sugars.  

Wishing you well

OD 

@OldDodgy Thank you for your support and kind words. Still amazes me what doctors think is acceptable collateral damage. Glad you went off of it. It's just really bad stuff.

I am so happy to see that my poor abused pancreas has not given up the fight just yet. I think in time I should be fine and back to normal. I was really worried there for awhile. From now on 'Slower is Faster' is my Mantra and I will continue doing things very slowly one at a time to minimize any body / nervous system shock. My PCP and I have already discussed getting off the Metoprolol. He wants to see me stable and without any of the symptoms that put me on it for a month before starting to taper. That puts me right after I get done tapering off of the Nexium so that works out perfect. I will be doing a 10% / week taper for the Metoprolol so it will take 7 months to get off of it. My pill grinder, gel caps, and jewlers scale are on standby awaiting orders. I already made up my tapering chart. I get my routine blood work done later this month. If my cholesterol has recovered then I will stop the Crestor before I do anything else because that can also cause gut issues and blood sugar issues and it is the easiest medication I currently take to stop. The blood work will dictate the order of operations here. I will post the next A1C, hopefully with a bunch of smiley faces next to it.

Take care and thanks again 😉✌️😺😺😺😺

@FeralCatman

Thank you for your kind message and feline blessing in my thread! Much appreciated. 

4 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

Looks like the diabetes is gone. I am down to being just slightly hyperglycemic. This morning for the first time my fasting sugar was 98 which is normal. My reaction to carbs is no longer extreme and it has been over a week since I have had a sugar level even come close to 180 even after a potato. Yesterday I ate a potato and my sugar maxed out at 154 and recovered quickly. More and more my sugars are hovering at just slightly above normal. My weight is steady at 169 and for the first time in years I can eat 3 times a day without gaining weight so this indicates metabolic recovery. YAYYYY!!!!!!!! 😁

The waking anxiety is gone as are the adrenaline surges and morning sugar spikes. Last night I was able to sleep for 5 hours solid, get up to urinate, and fall back asleep for a couple of more hours for a total of 7 hours of good sleep. First time in many months. My GI symptoms are finally calming down and I am down to 40% of my Nexium dose. My hands and feet are not getting as cold so my circulation is getting better. My tolerance for physical activity is also slowly improving. The key here will be to let my body lead the way and as long as I listen carefully this trend should continue. I just need to resist the urge to sprint to the finish line.

All in all things seem to be leveling out and everything seems to be recovering.

Congratulations on the numerous signs of recovery! I'm happy for you. 

I wish you peace and many more improvements to come.

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

@OldDodgyI just couldn't wait for a number and went to Walgreens to get an A1C test kit. My last kit with 2 tests showed a 5.5% and a 5.2% which are normal. Today's test was 5.6% which is also normal. The home tests are not as precise due to a much smaller sample size and they are a skin prick test vs. a truly clean sample drawn from a vein with a needle. These results match my glucometer test numbers at home. A normal A1C is 5.7% and below. Pre-diabetes is 5.8% to 6.4%. Diabetes is 6.5% and above. So...........diabetes is definitely gone and I am not technically even hyperglycemic any more. Totally normal though at the high end of normal. AMAZING 😁

When I was on the Seroquel nothing I did could get my A1C below 6.5% or my weight below 185. I could only eat 1600 calories a day or I would gain weight even when exercising heavily. I made a lot of progress over 16 years of trying but in the end, there was just no way to get my numbers further down while still taking the Seroquel even when my dose was very low so the side effect of diabetes and weight gain does not seem to be dose dependent, at least in my case. Due to withdrawal this has been the least active year in many years for me and watching these numbers go down so fast after stopping the drug has been an eye opener regarding everything I was told over the years about this drug and diabetes (ie: it was my fault for not doing the right things). The fact that I am comparatively inactive and yet can eat more is amazing to experience after all of these years. Just a little over a year ago I had an endocrinologist try to put me back on Metformin and I refused. Glad I did.

Once I am active again and can lose another 10+ pounds I think I will be back in the safe zone again and can really move on. I also think repairing my gut damage will help as well.

On to beating back my cholesterol and getting off the Crestor 😁

@FeralCatman

This is good news indeed.  

You dodged the bullet! 

OD

Hey @FeralCatman -- thanks so much for detailing your journey here. I remember reading your first post and following along since then.

You mentioned a few weeks ago about DAO deficiency. Is the low histamine diet the primary way you are tackling that? And do you still see DAO deficiency as a possible explanation for some of your experiences?

And lastly, I know there's lots out there on low histamine, but if you are comfortable to share, what have been the meal plans that have been helpful for you?

Thanks!

Medications

Paxil Apr 15, 2020 - 10mg // Sept, 2020 - 20mg // Mar, 2021 - CT

Escitalopram Mar, 2021 - 10mg // Jun, 2021 - CT

Lurasidone Jun, 2021 - 20mg // Sept, 2021 - CT
Seroquel/Quetiapine Sept, 2021 - 50mg XR // Nov, 2021 - CT

Current Supplements (all taken before bed)

Magnesium Bis-Glycinate 200mg

L-Theanine 200mg / Inositol 100mg

@JMac1234 The DAO deficiency is likely acquired not something I have inherently had all along. It is one of the suspected causes of histamine intolerance and is caused by gut dysbiosis. Heal the gut and the intolerance should go away. Since I am also dealing with a possible chronic dysautonomia which was worsened by the drugs and withdrawal from them it is a double whammy on my digestive system which is why reactions have been so bad. No way to know for sure what is what until I am off all of the drugs and that will be many years.

I am doing the Gut recovery in steps.

1. I had vitamin and mineral testing done and I am not deficient in anything but vitamin D so I take that as a supplement.

2. I take a multivitamin plus 1000mg daily of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for the production of DAO (Diamine Oxidase) which is the enzyme that breaks down histamine in the body. Zinc and B6 are also needed but I am not deficient in those.

3. I am on a strict low histamine diet. I use a food list adapted from this web site.

https://mastcell360.com/low-histamine-foods-list/

Currently my diet is very restricted. All foods are low or anti histamine. This was approved by my nutritionist.

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, diced kale, olive oil, garlic, salt. A small potato, cucumber slices with garlic salt, and either an apple or a pear. Water with a splash of apple juice and no sugar cranberry juice and the fiber supplement.

Lunch / Dinner - Boiled - Chicken or fish with asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, kale, olive oil, garlic, salt. Small potato. Water.

Snacks - Pistachios, cucumber slices with olive oil and garlic salt, kale chips.

3. I take half a dose daily of pure psylium fiber husk. It acts as a prebiotic to feed the good bacteria in my gut. It is also a laxative which helps keep things moving. I will be increasing to a full dose after I get off of the Nexium. As the good bacteria levels slowly increase so should the production of DAO.

4. I have been slowly tapering the Nexium. PPI's reduce stomach acid levels which reduces the levels of good bacteria in your gut and increase levels of bad bacteria like streptococcus of which I have high levels. Once I am off the Nexium in another 2 weeks this will help increase levels of good bacteria and reduce the streptococcus which will help DAO levels. There are many other medications which reduce DAO production or efficiency. Here is  a list.

https://daodeficiency.org/learn/dao-modulators/

5. Once I am off the Nexium I will be starting a low histamine pro-biotic prescribed by my nutritionist which will help to start healing my guts. This is what was prescribed by my nutritionist.

https://www.seekinghealth.com/products/probiota-histaminx-60-capsules

6. Once I know that is okay I will be starting Quercetin and possibly a DAO supplement if needed. Both of these will help with gut function if needed and will be temporary.

7. I also found out I have low CoQ10 which can affect energy production and contribute to the fatigue. It can also help lower cholesterol and potentially be what I need to get off of the Crestor and stay off of it. Not sure at what point this will be tried.

8. After all of this is done I will start adding in one vegetable per week and see how I react.

9. If everything goes right it takes about 6 months to fully repopulate your guts with good bacteria and crowd out the bad bacteria. In September I am going for a SIBO hydrogen breath test to check for SIBO and what happens after that depends on the test results.

The key here is to be patient and disciplined and only do one thing at a time. Otherwise, just like tapering the meds, you will have no idea what is doing what. I already learned the hard way and it's not worth it.

Here are stats for this month so far.

Bad Days -           None - 0%

Mediocre Days -        9 - 40.9 %

Good Days -               8 - 36.4%

Normal Days -            5 - 22.7%

Days at Good or better - 59.1 %

Here are last months stats for comparison (remember this month is not over yet so current stats are incomplete)

Days that were good or above 54.8%

So you can see that even though this month still has 8 days left I have already improved over last month.

🙂✌️😺😺😺😺

@JMac1234

Forgot to add to my stats that as of June 4th my sleep has started improving in fits and starts. I have more consistently been able to get more than 4 hours of broken sleep. Some nights I am now getting 7.5 hours of broken but restive sleep. Thank goodness. Still fatigued on many days but things are improving slowly.

There are a few things I need to add to my previous post about histamine, DAO, and gut healing.

1. As mentioned in a previous post you also need B12, Iron, and Copper in addition to B6, vitamin C, and Zinc to manufacture DAO. Vitamin C was not tested and everything but Vitamin D was low so I take a vitamin D supplement.

2. It is advisable that any supplements you end up trying have no artificial colors or unnecessary additives to minimize reactions. My nutritionist recommended 'Nature Made' Brand and she reviews the contents of each before I start anything new. This is why I go heavy on the testing. No need to take something I already have enough of. As mentioned elsewhere on this web site minimizing supplementation is best and try small amounts at first. I only add / change things one week at a time.

3. I tried to order a DAO level test but it is unavailable in the USA so the only way to know is to try the DAO supplement and see if it helps. I am not there yet.

4. My current diet also includes no sugar applesauce as a sweet treat.

5. The CoQ10 supplement may be long term since I take multiple meds that can affect CoQ10 aside from the statin. Blood testing will determine necessity over time.

6. As I can tolerate them I will be including as many pre-biotic foods into my diet as possible to help feed the good bacteria. Here is a list of pre-biotic foods. There are more than on this list but it is a good start. It's why I include garlic in every meal. Beets, blueberries, green bannana, and butternut squash are all good pre-biotic foods to help heal gut damage.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/19-best-prebiotic-foods#The-bottom-line

7. As long as I am on meds I will probably have to periodically do a course of probiotics to keep the good bacteria levels up. I may also need to continue the histamine block and quercetin but that is still an unknown over the long term. The same goes for the CoQ10.

The biggest thing is to go slow and pay attention to and listen to what your body is telling you and don't be afraid to slow down or alter course as needed. Everyone is different and we each have our own customized learning curve to go through.

On a separate note I have the luxury of doing 2 other things that many can not do. I am growing quite a bit of my own food which minimizes introduction of toxins into my system. I am also continuing my COVID 19 isolation. Other than my dad's emergency visit I have been isolated for almost 2.5 years. I wear an N95 everywhere I go and have to be close to people and take no chances. The way my body is right now it is very weak and very reactive. I wouldn't want to get a common cold right now let alone COVID 19 or long COVID. With an immune deficiency on top of everything else any illness would be bad news right now so....isolation it is until I am healed.

1 hour ago, FeralCatman said:

1. As mentioned in a previous post you also need B12, Iron, and Copper in addition to B6, vitamin C, and Zinc to manufacture DAO. Vitamin C was not tested and everything but Vitamin D was low so I take a vitamin D supplement.

This should read 'Vitamin C was not tested and everything but Vitamin D was normal so I take a vitamin D supplement.'

@FeralCatman

I am loving this strong, supportive message you posted in Qq's topic. 

6 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

I just read your thread. I am so sorry 😺 you are having so much trouble right now. I was in the submarine service and have worked some very dangerous jobs and have had some pretty harrowing experiences in my life. The program I went through in the Navy is the toughest academic program in the military and at the time I went through had a 70% attrition rate. Going through withdrawal is definitely the toughest thing I have ever had to do. It is very hard and can be scary at times. Especially early on. This is what you are experiencing right now. Sometimes the only thing you can do is to break your day down into the smallest chunks that you can deal with even if that means on some days you go minute by minute. I have had to do this and as each minute passes I treat it as a success and move on to the next minute. It's tedious but it works for me. This is how many military special forces personnel and extreme athletes deal with hardship and adversity.

I am 10 Months and 22 days into recovery and things were pretty bad a few months ago. However, things are improving already and I am gaining a little bit more of my functionality back every day. This will happen for you too. It will take time but YOU WILL GET THERE.  Just keep taking the next step, one after the other, and you will be okay in time. What you are going through right now is temporary. You have come to a good place because all of us have gone through the process and know what it is like. There are also some very knowledgeable people here who can help and lots of good references. You have already passed the biggest hurdle and that is finding help.

Don't lose hope. You will be okay in time. 😉✌️😺😺😺

Encouraging, wise, helpful.  

Thank you, and best of luck to you on your continuous healing journey <3

A. 

Another question if you are comfortable answering... If you can gather I'm navigating if histamine is something I need to pay more attention to long-term 😅

Do you have the traditional allergy symptoms when you've had an increase in histamine or just the adrenaline style symptoms?

The reason I ask is that I've never had any hives, itches, sinus issues, etc. But I do have mostly physical symptoms that I describe as extreme adrenaline rushes that last for days or weeks at a time. Things like loss of appetite, tightness in my stomach, very fidgety, tot flashes, tightness in my chest, can’t rest, no sense of calm, deep desire to take my mind off of what I'm feeling, inability to focus on anything.

I'm trying to stay low histamine during this recent wave, but I don't seem to really notice much from the diet change. Most of the things I'm finding online typically talk about histamine from the allergy style symptoms first, and since I don't have any affinity to those symptoms I wonder if I shouldn't be as concerned about histamine and instead just chalk up the adrenaline to a sensitive central nervous system that got stuck in flight or flight.

Medications

@JMac1234

I can only speak from personal experience. 
I have the itchy eyes insomnia and restlessness if I slip up on the diet. 
I know I am slightly allergic as my eosinophil count is always upper end of range but my Gp says it’s tinea of my nails !!! 

I am not allowed to recommend supplements on this site but googling will find you something to take before a meal which I have found useful. But always do your own research or talk to qualified professional-))) 

Good wishes 

OD 

@OldDodgy

Thanks! Yea, I can access what you are talking about and have been debating giving it a try. When the wave is intense I'm of course willing to do anything, but when it calms down and I review my symptoms I know I don't experience itchy eyes or any of the typical allergy symptoms. My eosinophil has been normal the last few times it was tested and I really haven't followed a low histamine diet for the past 7 months of withdrawal and have had wonderful long stretches of windows even while eating higher histamine foods. My wife gets nervous when I start Googling again because it usually means I'm out to try another supplement or make big adjustments on my diet again 😂

Either way, everyone's personal experience is really helpful for at least giving more food for thought as we manage through the painful days.

Thanks so much.

Medications

@JMac1234 I don't mind answering questions so ask any time. I just don't log on every day so there may be delays. I am having similar symptoms to yours that wax and wane and finding triggers has proved to be almost impossible because things change from day to day. This is why my diet is so rigid right now.

Here is the big problem for all of us going through this. It's all one big guess and a lot of assumptions and trial and error. It's why I go so heavy on the testing before adding anything else to the mix. I don't want to take anything that I don't absolutely have to.

I also found a way to test Diamine Oxidase (DAO) Levels to see if there is a histamine processing problem. It is sort of a convoluted process since you cannot get the test done in the USA but you seem to be able to get it done just about anywhere else in the world. I am NOT recommending this for anyone else but I am going to give it a try myself. I found a company in Australia that does home testing similar to Everlywell in the USA. Here is the link. 

https://www.imupro.com.au/product/dao-histamine-intolerance-test/

Their reviews are okay but I cannot give any recommendations as to the legitimacy of this company. They may take my money and run. If you decide to try this it is at your own risk and expense same as me.They will run the test. However, it requires an actual lab draw in a tube. So, either you find a lab that will give you back your sample so you can ship it to the lab overseas or, in my case, you are lucky enough to have a primary care doctor who will draw the sample, clot it, centrifuge it, and give it back to me. Once I have the sample I ship it to their lab in Germany via FEDEX and they run the test and send me the results. All in all it is about $165 which is about the standard cost for most lab tests. So, I am going to give it a try since this will help to confirm or deny a histamine issue.

Most likely these reactions are not caused by just one thing but by 2 or more things feeding off of one another so it is very difficult to figure out. Here is my logic so far.

Things I know:

1. I have symptoms of an imbalanced autonomic nervous system. Whether it is chronic, drug / drug withdrawal induced, or a bit of both is unknown. It is probably due more to the withdrawal. I have 2 diagnosis now related to this:

Idiopathic Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy

Dysautonomia Not Otherwise Specified

2. By testing I have gut dysbiosis. This can lead to histamine intolerance and food sensitivities. It can be caused by medications and poor diet among other things. It is correctable with diet and pro-biotics.

3. I am getting tested for SIBO

4. I have low CoQ10 which can lead to fatigue and other symptoms. It is depleted by several of the medication I am on.

5. I am getting DAO levels tested which can help confirm or deny a histamine issue.

6. The low histamine diet does seem to help but it does not correct all of my problems. It just seems to lessen the intensity.

7. My blood histamine levels and MAST Cell mediator levels are all normal

8. I also have low vitamin D which I take a supplement for.

Each of 1 - 5 above things can cause a host of serious issues on their own. When combined they probably have a synergistic effect and boost the misery factor of going through PAWS.

Assumptions:

The histamine issue is currently an assumption based on the gut dysbiosis diagnosis and my reactions to different foods and food additives as well as the severity of reactions I had while trying to discontinue an OTC antihistamine (Allegra). I don't get the typical allergy symptoms like hives and stuffiness most of the time but food sensitivities are not allergies so the reactions can be very different. What we are assuming is that my Autonomic Nervous System in it's imbalanced hypersensitive state is simply over reacting to normal body functions and chemical levels including normal levels of histamine.

The low DAO levels are also currently an assumption based on my food reactions, a Gut Dysbiosis diagnosis, and my medication list. Each of which is indicative of or a potential cause of low DAO levels. The blood test should tell us more.

I have read accounts of other people who tapered off or CT'd off Seroquel who have said a low histamine diet was crucial to their recovery. This is of course anecdotal evidence but it makes sense once you know what seroquel affects in the body. So, it makes sense to try the low histamine diet. Done through a nutritionist it can't hurt you as long as all of your nutrients are accounted for.

As shown on this link a histamine intolerance can cause or contribute to many of the symptoms we are both experiencing.

https://www.healthline.com/health/histamine-intolerance#symptoms

Since I know my histamine levels are normal the only other way to have a histamine issue affecting my guts is low DAO levels causing food intolerances which I currently cannot prove other than by taking a supplement to see if it works until I get the DAO test done.

So, as you can see, this is an incredibly complicated situation. This is why I am doing so much testing. I want to nail down as many variables as possible so I can avoid doing more harm as much as possible.

I don't know if this really answers your question but it's where I am at right now. I can't give definitive answers even for myself.

UPDATE

Here are the stats for the Month of June

0   Bad Days                   0.0%

10 Mediocre Days        33.3%

11  Good Days              36.7%

9 Normal Days             30.0%

20 Days at Good or Better - 20 - 66.7 %

Here are last months stats for comparison

17 Days at Good or Better 54.8%

Definite improvement going on.

The severe symptoms of earlier this year are either gone or much less intense. Physical stamina is not recovered but is much better. Still having food reactions if I try anything new but they are less intense and shorter lived. My guts have seen better days but are improving as I get off of the Nexium and begin the gut healing process in earnest. I have high hopes for my guts as I think they are key to full recovery. Stress tolerances are still very low and being around people for any length of time is very hard on me so living alone in the middle of nowhere is working just fine. Multitasking is impossible right now. Focus is still not great if I have to focus on anything for any length of time. Some days driving is a bit tough but it is getting better as having to focus can tire me out very quickly. Long term memory is improving but short term memory and ability to learn new information is still impaired. Sleep is improving. Starting on June 3/4 I began to finally get more than the 2-4 hours I had been getting. Now I am sleeping between 6-7 hours a night. Not always the best quality and it is still broken but definitely improved. Tomorrow will mark 11 months off of the Seroquel so July will be month 12. I am hopeful for continued slow improvement. 😁😸😸😸😸

I just posted this in Symptoms and Self Care. I thought it would be good to post it here as well. In the link you will find simple exercises you can do to help with anxiety, sleep, and stress. The link was sent to me by my acupuncturist.

UPDATE

There has been a change in night time symptoms.

Last night I kept being woken up with an urge to urinate about ever hour. I have changed nothing in meds or diet or fluid intake or anything else

When this started the last time there were adrenaline surges each time I woke up that got worse when I actually urinated. After I was done and went back to bed they went away until the next time I was woken up with the same thing. Urinating was also difficult and if I pushed too hard there would be a massive adrenaline surge along with it.

This time there are no adrenaline surges. Instead of the adrenaline surges it feels like the skin all over my body is burning like with a sunburn. Once I am done urinating and lay down it goes away until the next time I wake up.

One odd thing is that this morning when I woke up my hands and feet were not blocks of ice like they have been first thing in the morning for months. They were not quite fully warm but much better. So, something also changed with my circulation between yesterday and today.

My assumption is that is is part of another 'Wave' and that more changes are being made to my nervous system and that this is just another part of recovery. It's left me a bit tired today but I otherwise feel okay. It will be interesting to see how long this set of symptoms lasts.