SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alenah: Adverse reaction Zoloft 50mg one pill. Is their hope for recovery?

Alenah

Hello! I am new here. Back in May 2021 I took ONE dose of Zoloft 50mg. After about two hours of taking it I new something was wrong. My heart was beating uncontrollably. I was restless all night long and had a hard time sleeping. In the morning it felt like I was not even on this earth. My body temperature changed from hot to cold frequently. The next day I felt more disconnected then ever... then the next day after that my brain physically hurt and was zapping constantly. It felt like I was going to have a seizure. I also had dizziness. In the coming days, weeks, and months, I had depersonalization and derealization, blank mind, crying spells, feeling really depressed. I am almost 7 months out now and the depersonalization and derealization have gotten a lot better. My memory and concept of time have improved some. I also have brain fog.  I am now experiencing a new symptom anhedonia. I cannot feel happy or music when it comes on in my car. I would like some feedback on supplements or lifestyle changes that helped people. I hope people have fully recovered from one dose so I can have more hope. Thank you!!   

May 13th 2021: One dose 50mg Zoloft 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alenah: Adverse reaction Zoloft 50mg one pill. Is their hope for recovery?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Alenah, and welcome to SA.  You have come to the right place.  I'm very sorry that you had to go through all this from just one dose of Zoloft.  Thank God you only took the one dose and stopped right away.  Yes, there is a lot of hope for your recovery.  However, it will be slow, and gradual.  Injuries to the nervous system do heal, but the nervous system is highly complex, and therefore it is very slow and gradual.  I will share some links that apply to withdrawal effects, which you don't have, because the effects are rather similar: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

This link explains about recovery from adverse drug effects: 

Adverse Reaction

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Here is what I do as far as lifestyle changes to help me in my recovery: 

- take a walk outside daily

- eat a healthy diet on a regular schedule

- avoid stress whenever possible

- avoid toxic high drama people if possible

- have a rest periods and down time during the day

- nurture my relationship with God 

- listen to relaxing, calming music, especially at night if I can't sleep

- have a quiet evening, so I can go to sleep at night

- get out in nature, forest bathing, ect. 

- avoid alcohol, weed any mood altering substance, avoid MSG, aspartame, be very careful about any other drugs or hormones or supplements

Please keep us posted, and let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Alenah and welcome to SA from me as well.

I have done a search for the term "adverse reaction" in the Success Stories forum.  This is the link to the list:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=adverse reaction&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=28

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@Alenah Hi Alenah

I too am someone who suffered a severe adverse reaction from one pill.

I am only 10 weeks into my recovery. I have 70 symptoms honestly 🥴 it has been such a rough ride. But I completely relate to the ones you have shared.

Believe it or not, us adverse reaction sufferers, 7 months is still quite early in the process. Hang on In there.

Lexapro 10mg - 30th august 2021 - Adverse reaction

Amitriptyline - 10mg - 7th September - 30th sep 4 weeks

Amitriptyline 5mg -28th sep - 5th oct 

0mg ever since the 5th oct

12th oct - 1 amoxcillin and 2

metronidazole

Makes it 5 weeks 0mg so far

34 minutes ago, Lilmizz21 said:

@Alenah Hi Alenah

I too am someone who suffered a severe adverse reaction from one pill.

I am only 10 weeks into my recovery. I have 70 symptoms honestly 🥴 it has been such a rough ride. But I completely relate to the ones you have shared.

Believe it or not, us adverse reaction sufferers, 7 months is still quite early in the process. Hang on In there.

If you do not mind me asking what are your symptoms? Also, I forgot to mention my hair is falling out.

• Moderator Emeritus
43 minutes ago, Alenah said:

If you do not mind me asking what are your symptoms?

This is the link @Lilmizz21's Introduction topic.

lilmizz21-introduction-advice-needed

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi alena.. Iam also took 3 pills in June 2021 I felt that he'll from the first pill but you know I was thinking that ia because I did not sleep... Iam 6 months of now.. I suffered from severe insomnia, bad dreams,  dpdr seveeere,  tinnitus, bad anxiety and depression,  and so many symptoms but I cannot remember any thing... Yea and blunting emotionally and physically... 😔It's too awful I cannot even remember anything how are you now?  

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

16 June, cipralex 10mg , buspar 5mg

17 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

18 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

19 June zero dose

Hello! My memory has improved along with my severe depression and DPDR. However memory still sucks. I still feel like their is a connection to my brain missing. Still feel anhedonia. I totally understand the memory thing. 

Iam totally blunted alena the more time pass the more I feel detached and horrible... Would this go away?  Do you really notice even a little improvement I have improvement in tinnitus or sleeping but no mental improvement

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

19 June zero dose

Yes, I have noticed improvements. I think recovery takes time and everyone heals differently. I cannot believe one dose could do this to me and I wish I never took it. Tinnitus has improved. Are you able to cry?

No iam. Not... Iam totally blunted 

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

19 June zero dose

Yes I had.. I thought I was going mad.. I have a lot and I could not sleep I still have them but I cannot cry on my own 

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

19 June zero dose

The derealisation do not let me notice anything my mind is very blank... My mind cannot connect or save that maybe the insomnia gone.. I will try keep in touch here, please

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

19 June zero dose

I felt the same way. My mind was blank and my mind could not connect. My mind still has trouble connecting. I wish their was a switch that would flip cause I feel I would be normal again. Blank mind has gotten better and the connection somewhat what their is still a connection missing that I want to go away so I can be normal again. 

Thanks alenah... I feel that my mind is getting more blank and worse.. I was very creative and intelligent but everything is paused.. God save us

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

19 June zero dose

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new topic please search to see if one already exists.  Use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.  Searching for brain fog found the existing topic.

I've moved the new topic you created and merged it with an existing topic.  Many other members have experienced brain fog.

brain-fog-blank-mind-comprehension-concentration-cognitive-and-memory-problems

Please create your drug signature so that we can see your drug history at a glance.  Follow these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

• 2 months later...

How are you doing now @Alenah ?     

I wonder if the moderators would maybe make a separate section just for people who suffered from adverse reactions. I think most folks have issues in getting OFF of these drugs, but for us we barely got ON them before a bunch of issues and reactions emerged. 

Remeron 15mg for 1 day in July '21,  then 7.5mg for 6days ending 30 July 21.   Immediate ADR. Went to ER several times, including ICU stay. Dealing with headaches, headpressure, tinnitus, hyperacusis, arm weakness, panic attack like feelings ever since.

No more drugs since, just vitamins Magnesium L-Threonate & Glycinate, fish oil , curcumin , ubiquinol, acetyl L Carnitine and alpha-lipoid acid, vitamin d3, vitamin k2 as mk7, and an overall men’s multi-vit.  Though I'm mainly just using magnesium since 2022. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, RemeronHell said:

adverse reactions

There is a topic here that members discuss ADR:

immediate-adverse-reactions-to-an-antidepressant-or-within-a-few-doses-how-long-for-recovery

Great link @ChessieCat thanks. 
I tolerated SSRIs for thirty years. Came off them ok.  Bereaved and given vortioxetine.  Took one, dizzy sweats, temp, nausea. Admitted overnight. All well after 48 hours. But no more SSRIs for me. ! 
OldDodgy 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

@RemeronHell

Hello,

I have improved since I have been on here last. Depersonalization and derealization have gotten substantially better. I can actually recognize who I am in pictures. I still have a slight disconnection. I still have trouble feeling what day it is/month, but that has also substantially improved. I can actually wake up and tell myself what day it is /month without not knowing or being weeks/seasons off. For some reason after I took that one dose of Zoloft space/time did not exist at all. I could not tell night from my morning my brain could not process it. My long term memory has improved as well as my short term memory…. But the short term memory is still pretty bad. My Anhedonia has improved and I am getting waves and windows of that. I have noticed it depends on the time of day. I still have PSSD but has improved slightly. I am trying to keep positive and hope in the coming months to another year I keep making more and more improvements. Sleep is finally feeling like sleep. A month ago I would have bad dreams all night long and it just felt like I wasn’t asleep. My intrusive thoughts have improved also. I don’t get anymore brain zaps but I did for the first 4-5 months. I also has a blank mind. I swear nothing was in my brain….. that has improved. Also, my hair has slowly stopped falling out. I had a few more symptoms but those were all the big ones and all have improved. I had so many symptoms from this one pill it is very hard to believe. I hope I keep making improvements and maybe a write a success story. That is one of wishes. I just don’t want to jinx myself lol. 

here is what I have been doing 

-taking walks

-no special diet but just eating better 

-hanging out with family/friends which was hard to do months ago and a lot of the time I would hide in my room because the world looked fake and I felt like I wasn’t even alive. But I kept pushing myself to do things but new when enough was enough to stay home or hide in my bedroom.

I want to thank everyone on this website. It gave me hope and pushed me through for better days even though I am not 100%

Lastly, how are you doing??

Hello. I an very sorry this happened to you. I have been off Cymbalta and a Suppository or 3 other evil drugs for roughly 4 months. Still complete anhedonia and PSSD. This sucks I would rather be dead than this way my whole life. But I will put faith in God and hope time will heal my spirit. Best of luck to all who suffer this fate. ✌🏾👁🌌🙏🏾💖

Hi,

4 months is really not very long. I do hope that with faith and time things will improve.. 

OD

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

• 1 month later...

@rebeccaannxo it has just been a little over 11 months and no I do not consider myself fully recovered. I still have short term memory loss and other cognitive issues as well as some apathy which has improved and pssd. Compared to almost a year ago I have made so much improvement and glad I am not where I was a few months ago. I hope soon or in year two I can write a success story. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, Alenah said:

Compared to almost a year ago I have made so much improvement and glad I am not where I was a few months ago. I hope soon or in year two I can write a success story. 

I'm very happy to hear that you have made so much improvement.  I do hope you write a success story, and we need more success stories of people who recovered from an immediate adverse reaction.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly