SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Decisions, decisions ... and how to (not) trust my gut

sleepymagic

Do any of you have trouble making decisions these days? I am wondering if it is a symptom of withdrawal. 

I used to be a fairly decisive person. I always trusted my gut. The thing is, ever since I started changing up my medication in 2020, and then withdrawing in 2021, I can no longer trust my gut feelings.

I am so full of anxiety that my gut feeling is constantly screaming at me to run and hide. When I meet someone new, it tells me not to trust them. When I think about going somewhere or doing something, it tells me it'll end up badly. If I trusted my gut these days, I'd be bedridden and immobile. I have a bad feeling about everything.

It's making it difficult to make important life decisions. I was in a sort-of relationship nearly a year ago and I could not commit for months, and was ultimately broken up with. I honestly just couldn't decide what to do. Everything on paper was perfect but my gut was filled with so much anxiety it made me sick. 

I was also offered a couple of jobs, and I was frozen. I decided not to go for them and stay at my current position because change freaked me out, and I wondered if I was making the wrong decision.

My therapist told me that when I feel this way, that means the decision to not do anything or make any changes is the right one. She said I need to wait it out, and if someone leaves me or opportunities go, then they weren't meant for me anyway. 

I'm hoping I'm not the only one feeling this way. I meet regularly with some people withdrawing from psych meds and they always emphasize the importance of trusting your instincts and listening to your gut. But in my case, my gut can't be trusted.

Current medications:
Propranolol 40 mg (Feb. 11, 2022- present); Amitriptyline 80 mg (Mar 16, 2022-present); Amitriptyline 85 mg (Jan 20, 2022-Mar 15, 2022); Amitriptyline 100 mg (April 2021-Jan 20, 2022)

Recent withdrawals:

Klonopin 2 mg (2020-2021) (Klonopin free as of Nov. 2021!)

Lamotrigine 200 mg (2020-2021); Seroquel 50 mg (2021) 

Past medications:
Ambien (briefly in 2021); Symbyax (briefly in 2020); Mirtazapine (briefly in 2020); Zoloft (briefly in 2020)
Trazodone 150 mg (2015-2020); Venlafaxine 150 mg (2015-2020)
Wellbutrin (briefly in 2015); Xanax (briefly in 2015); Buspar (briefly in 2015); Prozac (one month in 2015)
Lexapro and/or Celexa (2010-2015)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Decisions, decisions ... and how to (not) trust my gut
  • Moderator Emeritus

Other members have mentioned having similar difficulties.  I've tried searching for this but couldn't really find anything.  I thought there was a topic where this was discussed, but if there is I cannot find it.

However, this might help:

what-is-happening-in-your-brain

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy