Macuata: Seroquel cold turkey

Macuata

I was on Seroquel for 14 months 300 mg a day. I gained 30 lbs, my tryglycerides approached 400. My psyche doctor and I decided to ceace Seroquel. I tapered off Seroquel in two days per Dr advice. It was hellish. My appetite vanished, I panic attacked constantly for at least a week. I experienced severe dyskinesia.

Approximately 3 weeks after ceasing Seroquel I woke up at 2 am with severe chest pains lightheadedness breathlessness and a 120 pulse which lasted 2 hrs. 

My PCP  stethescoped my heart the next day. No Ekg…performed. I was prescribed hydroxyzine and valium. I was miserably weak for 10 days. 

I went to ER EKG normal I was told. I then had a CT scan of lungs. I was told my heart was enlarged.

I wonder about the heart-Seroquel cessation ?

Thank You

Seroquel Aug 20 to Oct 21

Lithium

Effexor

Xanax

Ativan

Klonopin

Clonidine

Welbutrin 

Hydroxisine

Depakote

• ChessieCat changed the title to Macuata: Seroquel cold turkey

Welcome @Macuata

I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering, but relieved you have found us. This forum is run by others like you who have been through and survived, or are surviving, the negative effects of psychiatric drugs. Seroquel can cause many physiological changes in the body, weight gain being a very common one. It also affects the heart. It is hard to determine whether taking seroquel, quitting seroquel or something else is the cause of your heart condition.

Coming off these drugs can cause many different withdrawal symptoms, especially if the tapering is too fast. We advise 10% reduction of current dose every 4 weeks.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia

Are you experiencing any withdrawal symptoms now? What date was your last dose of Seroquel and what dose?

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Hi there, fellow CT from Zoloft here. Also have pulse issues. How are you holding up currently?

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 3 weeks later...

Seroquel Cold Turkey Update

I have been diagnosed with Quetipine induced pericarditis.

I did some research. There was a class action lawsuit against Astra Zeneca in 2010 who paid out 540 M. for marketing Quetipne for non FDA conditions.

Seroquel Lawsuit

The Seroquel lawsuit also alleges that Seroquel aggressively marketed for use in patients with anxiety, depression or ADHD that were beyond its FDA-approved indications. Plaintiffs’ lawyers also contend that AstraZeneca offered incentives to doctors and other health care providers to increase Seroquel prescriptions (they didn’t reach $3.0 billion in sales on schizophrenics alone, that is for sure).

What Are Quetiapine Lawsuits?

As previously mentioned, there have been a number of class actions and individual lawsuits filed due to injuries associated with Seroquel, including: 

• Product liability claims (e.g., defective products, promotion of off-label use, and insufficient warning labels);
  • Medical malpractice;
  • General negligence; 
  • Personal injury; and
  • Various other civil lawsuits (e.g., violating the False Claims Act). 

In some cases, the defendant may also be subject to criminal penalties.

An Example

Case presentation British Medical Journal

We present the case of an 18-year-old man known to have attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) for which he was taking long-term methylphenidate. Three weeks prior to his admission, the patient was started on quetiapine for comorbid ADHD with underlying bipolar affective disorder.

The patient presented with a severe central crushing chest pain that lasted for an hour, associated with nausea and vomiting. An initial ECG showed inferolateral ST elevation with reciprocal ST depression; he was transferred to our centre for primary percutaneous coronary intervention (figure 1).

Due to the highly variable clinical presentation of drug-induced myocarditis, diagnosis is often delayed, resulting in irreversible damage to the myocardial muscle and leading to a poor prognosis for the patient. Our case highlights the fact that there is a clinical need for increased awareness of the cardiotoxic side effects associated with the newer generation antipsychotic agents and makes apparent the need for more formalised cardiovascular monitoring for patients initiated on antipsychotic therapy.

I had no idea.

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Seroquel Aug 20 to Oct 21

Lithium

Effexor

Xanax

Ativan

Klonopin

Clonidine

Welbutrin 

Hydroxisine