Neeta: Hi

Neeta

Hi everyone.  So grateful to still be here to be here!!  Been a long 30 years!  Am hoping to  titrate down from last 10 mg of Prozac using the liquid form.  Does starting with the 1 mg a month make sense?

See how it goes?  Finish off 1 mg of Valium first?  Yes, scared to let go of the last milligram of safety net.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Moments of regret for ever having gone done the med road, but so very ready to "heal" what only covered up....sound too familiar?  Best wishes and thank you!!  

1992 – 1999  Prozac 80 mg, Klonopin 4 mg, Buspar
1999 – 2000  Stop Prozac cold turkey 1 year.  Hell.  4 mg Klonopin.
2000 – 2003 Celexa, Lexapro, Luvox, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft.  Cycle through each med.  None work.  Highest dosages.
2004 – Effexor, Klonopin, Zyprexa, Lamictal, Provigal, Sonata.  Always high dosages.  Don’t remember mgs….
2005 – Klonopin, Lamictal, Seroquel, Anafranil, Luvox
2006 – Klonopin 4 - 6 mg, Prozac 120 mg
2009 – 2013 – Prozac 80 mg, Kononpin 1 mg (Titrate from 120 mg to 80, and 4 mg to 2 mg)
2013 – 2019– Prozac 30 mg, Klonopin 1 mg  (Titrate from 80 mg to 30 and 2 mg to 1 mg)
2019 – Ashton Protocol.  Convert Klonopin to 20 mg Valium
2021 – Valium 1 mg. Titrate Prozac 15 mg to 10 mg in 2 months.  HELL. TOO FAST.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

2000 – 2003 Celexa, Lexapro, Luvox, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft.  Cycle through each med.  None work.  Highest dosages.
2004 – Effexor, Klonopin, Zyprexa, Lamictal, Provigal, Sonata.  Always high dosages.  Don’t remember mgs….
2009 – 2013 – Prozac 80 mg, Kononpin 1 mg (Titrate from 120 mg to 80, and 4 mg to 2 mg)
2013 – 2019– Prozac 30 mg, Klonopin 1 mg  (Titrate from 80 mg to 30 and 2 mg to 1 mg)
2021 – Valium 1 mg.  July - 15 mg Prozac.  August 12.5 mg Prozac.  September 10 mg Prozac.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Neeta: Hi
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Neeta and welcome to SA,

I am really pleased that you have found SA before continuing your tapers.

2 hours ago, Neeta said:

2021 – Valium 1 mg. Titrate Prozac 15 mg to 10 mg in 2 months.  HELL. TOO FAST.

Please provide more details about how you reduced from 20mg to 10mg.  We need to see the doses and the dates for those doses.  Please also provide the details of the withdrawal symptoms that you experienced after each reduction.

Q:  What withdrawal symptoms are you currently experiencing?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Q:  How is your sleep?

SA strongly encourages members to only taper once they are stable:

Stability

WDnormal

And BrassMonkey posted more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

Generally SA recommends tapering the activating drug before the sedating drug.

See:

taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first

2 hours ago, Neeta said:

Am hoping to  titrate down from last 10 mg of Prozac using the liquid form.

SA suggests doing a cross over when changing form of a drug:

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

It is possible to make your own liquid from Prozac.  See Post #1 of this topic:

Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

2 hours ago, Neeta said:

Am hoping to  titrate down from last 10 mg of Prozac using the liquid form.  Does starting with the 1 mg a month make sense?

Reducing by 1mg each reduction is a linear taper whereas SA recommends a hyperbolic taper, where the reduction amount gets less each time.  See the graphs at the bottom of Post #1 in the Why Taper topic linked below.

SA's recommended taper rate is no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

Your first reduction from 10mg would be a 1mg reduction.  However reducing by another 1mg for the next reduction would be more than 10%.  The second reduction needs to be calculated on the 9mg, so 9mg x 0.9 = 8.1mg.  If you decide to round the amount for easier measuring, always round up, not down, so that the amount is never more than 10%.  Also, if you do round a dose, the following reduction is calculated on the rounded amount, so for example if you rounded to 8.5mg then your the next reduction would be 8.5mg x 0.9 = 7.65mg as so on.  However, tapering using a liquid makes getting the dose you need a lot easier.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your Introduction topic is the best place for you to ask questions specific to your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means that you do not have to repeat your story.

There are many existing topics on SA.  SA likes to keep similar information in one place so it is easier for members to find.  Before creating a new topic, please check to see if one already exists.  You can use the site search function, or use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    13 November 2021 -  0mg Pristiq      

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq   

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Mid Nov 2021 changed to low carb diet due to diabetes & cholesterol.  Lost 1/16 body weight, BP has reduced a lot. 

Links to my exercises and weights.  I also do 3 x 5.5 min with HIIT on exercise bike with 20 secs/min as fast as I can cycle.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please also create your drug signature, which will appear below every post you make.  What you have already posted in your first post can be used, but please also add the dates and doses for your Prozac taper and Valium taper.  See these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Mid Nov 2021 changed to low carb diet due to diabetes & cholesterol.  Lost 1/16 body weight, BP has reduced a lot. 

Links to my exercises and weights.  I also do 3 x 5.5 min with HIIT on exercise bike with 20 secs/min as fast as I can cycle.

Q:  What withdrawal symptoms are you currently experiencing?

Uh boy.  Back to most days feeling like a bad LSD trip -- or how I imagine one.  (Never tried).  As past 2 years, mostly feel "dissociated", out of my body, very very unreal -- exist more in "space" than physicality.  As to Dr. M's chart:  crying spells, downward mood, trouble sleeping (life time of insominia) and concentrating, anxiety, nervous, tense, startle easily.  Constant underbelly and sense of FEAR, Vulnerability, Not Safe.

Irritability, agitation, impuslive, pick at self (cuticles, face....), mental/cognitive confusion, memory loss/problems. And my old compantion, OCD.  Can't shake the intrusive thoughts, images....

Q:  How is your sleep?

Haven't had a night of non interrupted sleep since?  ever.... wake multiple times, or for one 

two to three hours stretch.....

Stability  Read.  Very Helpful.

WDnormal  Read.  Excellent.

It is possible to make your own liquid from Prozac.  See Post #1 of this topic:

Read.  Looking into 1/2 tablet of fluoxetine for the 5 mg, and other 4 mg as liquid to do

the taper.  

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted responses from quotes, reformatted

2021 – Valium 1 mg.  July - 15 mg Prozac.  August 12.5 mg Prozac.  September 10 mg Prozac.

Thanks so much!  You had a heck of a journey....but made it!  Much hope in that!

Again, can't thank you enough for your time, help and dedication in help me and others....

Happy Holidays!

Edited by ChessieCat
Resized font

• Moderator Emeritus

You are very welcome.

You might find some helpful tips in there topics:

Non-drug techniques to cope

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Please provide more details about how you reduced from 20mg to 10mg.  We need to see the doses and the dates for those doses. 

You missed providing this information.

Please state it as follows:

Prozac:  date of reduction, dose; date of reduction, dose; etc

If you have reduced too quickly it is possible that making a small updose might bring your withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level.  Please note that if you decide to updose that SA suggests only making small increases.  It is better to increase by small amounts than to risk taking too much.  It is also important to note that Prozac has a long half life, which means that it might take 1-2 weeks for the effects of the increase/decrease to show up.  The idea of increasing the dose is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a tolerable level that you can live with.

See:

On 7/3/2011 at 4:11 AM, Altostrata said:

Prozac has the longest half-life of any SSRI. After you take it for a few days, half-life is about 16 days. Fluoxetine itself has a half-life of 2-4 days, but as it is processed, your body creates an active antidepressant metabolite, norfluoxetine, which has a half-life of 7-15 days. So Prozac keeps on extending its half-life as it is metabolized.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine , fluoxetine and norfluoxetine inhibit each other's metabolism, extending the half-life of the drug. Because the half-lives are so long, the full effect of Prozac on the brain may not be felt for several weeks.

Please carefully read Post #1 of this topic, much of which relates to updosing:

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

Hi I don't remember when or how I got from the 20 to 15 mg of Prozac I've been on for over 2 years.  The reduction from 15 to 10 mg was this past August, 2021 where I decreased 2.5 mg (1/4 of tablet),

and then again in September 2021, 2.5 mg.  Asides from trying to go too fast....am coming to see have been in the post titration withdrawals from all of the amazing information you are providing.  Thank you!

Thanks too for all of the references to read....great great info!

• Moderator Emeritus
26 minutes ago, Neeta said:

The reduction from 15 to 10 mg was this past August, 2021 where I decreased 2.5 mg (1/4 of tablet),

and then again in September 2021, 2.5 mg. 

Thank you for this information.

Please edit your drug signature to read.  Note that we need to see the new dose, not the amount you reduced by:

Prozac 15 mg: Aug 2021, 7.5mg; Sep 2021, 5mg

I am assuming that these doses are correct because you said you reduced by 1/4 tablet amounts.

Because you have been on 5mg Prozac since September, you might find increasing by 0.5mg might help.  So take 5.5mg.  Your brain will have already made some adaptation to getting the lower dose.  You would then wait for at least 2 weeks, keeping note of your symptoms, what improves and what worsens.  If after the 2 weeks you notice some improvement then you would wait until week 3 and reassess.

If after 2 weeks you have noticed no improvement at all and things have not gotten worse, you could try increasing by 0.5mg to 6mg.  And then wait for another 2 weeks.

Remember to compare how you are feeling to how you recently felt at your worst, not how you felt at your best or how you want to feel.

It is important to try and stay as calm and patient as you can during this time.  If you get anxious then it can make it difficult to know if the updose is helping, and anxiety can cause body symptoms which you might mistake for a worsening of your withdrawal symptoms.  We have SA members who have panicked and ended up making bad decisions which resulted in them making things worse.

See the labelled diagram on this page:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety-self-help/

Please let us know what you decide to do and let us know how you are doing.

Hi my apologies for not making the titration clear.  Am presently on 10 mg of Prozac (having reduced from 15 mg in August and September by 2.5 mg each time).  Hope this clarifies.  Have considered adding back 1 or 2 mg, but it's been long enough that I'd rather try to "tough" it out....

• Moderator Emeritus
17 minutes ago, Neeta said:

m presently on 10 mg of Prozac (having reduced from 15 mg in August and September by 2.5 mg each time). 

Thank you for explaining this.

Please change your drug signature so that it clearly states the month and the dose you took, not the amount you reduced by.

Please use the following example (if you know the dates please include, if not please state early, mid, late):

Prozac:  Jun, 20mg; Aug, 17.5mg; Oct, 15mg;

Will do right now!!