Dr. Cohen on Family Medicine

Shep

• Moderator Emeritus

This is from Dr. John Campbell's YouTube channel, released today:

Dr Cohen on family medicine video (49 minutes)

This is a great talk with Dr. John Campbell, who holds a PhD in nursing and is a long-time nurse educator, and Dr. Michael Cohen, a GP in Israel. 

Some issues discussed:

• The movement of "patient and doctor" to "consumer and provider"
  • The danger of paternalism and the rise of dependence (i.e. learned helplessness) by patients (consumers) on providers (doctors)
  • The risk of "medicalizing" things - and yes, they do go into the history of psychiatric medicalization of everyday human experiences (this part starts around 33 minutes in) - probably a reason GPs are handing out psychiatric drugs like candies
  • Questions asked - How to subsidize healthy eating and sports for everyday people? How to make people resilient? And other questions we should be asking of our so-called "healthcare" system
  • Prevention or remission of lifestyle diseases such as diabetes
  • Discussion on how the current medical system treats the symptoms instead of the cause of the disease

Nothing new to many of us here on SA, but always good to highlight conversations that push back against the "ask your doctor if this drug might be right for you" narrative coming from the sickcare system that pretends to be a healthcare system. It's also good to see so-called "mental illness" included in such discussions coming from a GP, since GPs have the highest rates of prescribing psychiatric drugs. 

• Mentor

Thank you Shep!  Saved it and plan to listen to it later!

1. .025 Xanax 3 x daily  Start date 10-13-2013 through 8-13-2014.  Started tapering 6-2014 to 8-2014.  Some small discomfort. 25 mg Zoloft - Start date 5-1-2014.  50mg. 6-2014.  through 7-14-2014 .  Started tapering  7-14-2014, stopped tapering 10-2014.  I did 1/4 of the dose a month.  small discomfort.  These next 3 were prescribed when I made some seriously bad choices with my thyroid medication.  Was in ER twice for possible heart attack.  INTENSE anxiety, panic, fear.   Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks.  Thyroid levels bounced to extremes for 8 months. Dr. prescribed Zoloft 50mg  9-2105.  After 2 doses had a bad reaction passed out in my bedroom. Also prescribed Xanax .025  at the same time. 3 times daily, 4 if needed.  Was only on it about 2 weeks.  Was not working.  Trip ER they gave me an Ativan IV and it worked and lasted.  switched to Ativan. 9-24-2016. 1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16.  Attempted taper start 12-16-2016. Was shaving Pills and alternating tapering AM, PM and midday dose weekly.  Buspar .5mg  -2.5mg. am and 2. 5mg. pm start date 9-26-2016 .  Lexapro .10mg  start date  - 10-26-2016. Found SA and began 10/14/2017 tapering .001 by weight of pill  every 4 days Held longer if there were was WD.    Was very sensitive to Ativan. 3-15-2018 Off midday dose - 7-16-2018 Off PM dose - OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018 10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 gm every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021 5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 Cold turkey on Dr. direction, AM and Pm  doses.  Reinstated  9-22-16. Began Buspar taper 1-29-23, .001 mg by weight of pills.  N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  1-2023 Labs okay but not where I feel best. 60 mg. daily now but adding 15 mg. more  twice weekly for a few months then check.  Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy