SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Erudite: Paxil withdrawal - short taper

Erudite

Hello everyone,

I have recently joined AD website but I have waited until I made my first post. I will be adding detailed history of my AD consumption in my signature in a bit.

I was born and raised in a mediterranean climate. I moved to Canada in 2006, and in December 2009 (at the age of 22) I have had a major panic attack. At that point, I have made lifestyle changes and used a self help book. I was given Xanax (no regular antidepressants) to use for panic episodes but I almost never used it. Things got better for about 3 years until in May 2013, my panic returned. I was at a high elevation location. For about a year (until April-May 2014), I tried battling the anxiety/tension. I got to a point where I couldn't be functional at all (nervous system breaks down halfway through the day, despite plenty of sleep). During that time, my lifestyle was ok, probably not optimal.

In spring 2014, I succumbed to antidepressants. I was given Paxil CR (increasingly 12.5 -> 25  -> eventually stabilizing at 37.5 mg). It wasn't a psychiatrist I saw, and I was diagnosed with "generalized social anxiety". Summer 2014 was the best. I felt good. I was working out. I was in great shape.

In spring of 2017, I attempted to taper off while consulting my physician. The tapering was slow and by the end of the summer I was off of Paxil. Unfortunately, by December 2017- January 2018, I felt like I needed to get back on them because I wasn't feeling well. 

A coverage that I had for Paxil CR (only brand name) ended in early fall 2020. I switched then to regular Paxil (much cheaper) at 30 mg. I think it didn't have the same effect as Paxil CR. I understand the basic biochemical differences.

On October 22nd I took my last pill of Paxil 30 mg, after a very short 10 day taper (one pill every other day).

Two days after the last pill, I started experiencing withdrawal. I was taking also natural supplements: st john's worts tincture and Ashwaghanda pills. I think the supplements helped alleviate the severe first week withdrawal. I didn't feel as much anxiety. However, I felt lightheadedness, constant dizziness, and brain zaps. Those symptoms lasted for a week and then were gone. Between days 2 and 5 after the last pill, I couldn't sleep and had very vivid night terrors.

Two weeks post last pill, anxiety started crippling. I had windows and waves. During that time, I had already gone on a very strict diet, eating only natural foods and avoiding anything and everything that is processed, also exercising as much as I can. I started taking Neurapas (by Pascoe) about 3 weeks ago (instead of the St John's worts tincture and Ashwaghanda). For a while now I have also been supplementing with Vitamin D3. However, decreased dosage recently.

Today marks the second month being AD free. The last two days I feel crippled with anxiety. I can't focus on work.

Some physiological symptoms since discontinuation: elevated heart rate, elevated blood pressure, weird bowel sometimes. I became more sensitive/emotional to triggers.

Some mental triggers: thinking about the world we live in today with all the mandates and global tyranny that is happening. The more I think about it, the more it affects me.

Today I took an appointment with a naturopathic doctor that was recommended to me for next Wednesday. 

At this point, I don't know what to do to feel better. I have read that withdrawal can take a year or more. I don't know if I am strong enough to do it and if it gets better after 4 months, 6 months, 8 months, 12 months, etc.

If you have any advise, please share.

December 2009: First panic attack. Prescribed Xanax for panic episodes.

2010-2013: panic free.

May 2013: Panic/anxiety resurfaces.

Spring 2014: Started Paxil CR gradually from 12.5 to 25 to 37.5 mg.

Late spring 2017: Started tapering off Paxil CR.

Early fall 2017: stopped Paxil CR.

January 2018: Resumed Paxil CR.

September 2020: Switched to Paxil 30 mg.

October 22nd 2021: Last pill of Paxil 30 mg (after 10 short days of tapering).

October 22nd-29th 2021: Tough week. Main symptoms: lightheadedness, dizziness, brain zaps.

December 22nd 2021: Still experiencing windows and waves. No overall improvement yet.

December 24th 2021: Reinstated on Paxil 10 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Erudite: Paxil withdrawal - short taper

@Erudite

I'm very sorry to hear what you are going through, but I'd like to welcome you to SA. You've come to a great site for the problem you are experiencing. All of the members on here are volunteers and have been or are in the same situation as you.

First, this is your page to ask questions, make comments (nicely) and meet new members that you have things in common with. Only one introduction page is allowed per member so we can keep all your information in one place.

At this point, a reinstatement of 2 mg might help. Try this for a week or so and you can always increase in tiny increments if needed. Then hold,hold and hold until you stabilize. Then talk about a slow taper. I'm going to give you some information on reinstatement and a few other links that may be helpful to you.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9451-delayed-onset-of-withdrawal-symptoms/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/288-brain-zaps/

Please keep daily notes and post them so we know how you are doing.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1008-before-you-begin-tapering-what-you-need-to-know/?do=findComment&comment=249388

After you reach stability, the Brassmonkey Slide is more gentle on the system than a straight taper. Here on SA we don't suggest any more than 10% a month when tapering. But we also say you have to listen to your body and it will tell you.

In the meantime, you could try a small amount of magnesium and omega. Only take one at a time, a small amount and wait before introducing another looking for any reaction you may have.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Please let me know how we can help or answer any other questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

3 hours ago, Frogie said:

@Erudite

I'm very sorry to hear what you are going through, but I'd like to welcome you to SA. You've come to a great site for the problem you are experiencing. All of the members on here are volunteers and have been or are in the same situation as you.

First, this is your page to ask questions, make comments (nicely) and meet new members that you have things in common with. Only one introduction page is allowed per member so we can keep all your information in one place.

At this point, a reinstatement of 2 mg might help. Try this for a week or so and you can always increase in tiny increments if needed. Then hold,hold and hold until you stabilize. Then talk about a slow taper. I'm going to give you some information on reinstatement and a few other links that may be helpful to you.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9451-delayed-onset-of-withdrawal-symptoms/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/288-brain-zaps/

Please keep daily notes and post them so we know how you are doing.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1008-before-you-begin-tapering-what-you-need-to-know/?do=findComment&comment=249388

After you reach stability, the Brassmonkey Slide is more gentle on the system than a straight taper. Here on SA we don't suggest any more than 10% a month when tapering. But we also say you have to listen to your body and it will tell you.

In the meantime, you could try a small amount of magnesium and omega. Only take one at a time, a small amount and wait before introducing another looking for any reaction you may have.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Please let me know how we can help or answer any other questions you may have.

Thank you @Frogie.

Here is what I am taking right now (on a daily basis):

5000 IUs of Vitamin D3.

100 microgram of Vitamin K2.

1 pill of omega 3: 660 mg EPA, 330 mg DHA.

2 grams of liquid liposomal vitamin C. 

72 mgs of magnesium+1000 mgs of L-Theronate magnesium (liposomal liquid form).

I am almost done with liposomal glutathione (part of a prevention protocol): 450 mg of reduced L-glutathione.

NAC, 1 pill a day.

Neurapas (6 pills a day, as recommended) split over morning, noon, and evening. Each pill contains: st john's worts (60 mg), valerian root (28 mg), passionflower (32 mg).

What I was taking (different doses from what I am taking now):

20,000 IUs Vitamin D3, up until about a week or 2 ago.

6 grs of liposomal vitamin C.

2 pills of omega 3.

Zinc.

Instead of the Neurapas, I was taking st john's worts tincture and Ashwaghanda.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are suggesting I go back on microdoses of paxil. I was stable on 25-37.5 mg.

2 mg is not too low? Also, I did some search and I found that it is available in liquid form. I think this is the only way i can start with 2 mg.

Any suggestion how to increase? like increase by 2 mg every other day?

I will go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to prescribe it. I currently do not have a family doctor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was especially tough. I felt it in my stomach, chest, and heart. I went for a walk and took a cold shower and feeling better at the moment. However, I couldn't focus on work today.

Thank you.

October 22nd-29th 2021: Tough week. Main symptoms: lightheadedness, dizziness, brain zaps.

December 22nd 2021: Still experiencing windows and waves. No overall improvement yet.

@Erudite

I only suggested you start out with 2 mg paxil because you've been off a couple of months. A lot of times starting on a very low dose will stabilize you. I just don't want you starting out on 25 or more mg and have an adverse reaction. You could try 5 mg if you chose, but I wouldn't go higher than that until you know how you'll react.

SA does not suggest taking St. John's Wart or any other supplements other than magnesium and omega. St. John's Wart can be addictive also.

If you can get the liquid that would be much easier to start and then taper off of at a later date.

Edited by Frogie

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Hello @Frogie,

Today has been a rollercoaster. I decided to go to a walk-in clinic and to the hospital as well, to make sure that my heart is functioning properly and that there is nothing wrong there.

I first went to the clinic and saw a doctor who re-instated me on Paxil. Solid tablet comes in 10 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg and 40 mg. I am starting on 10 mg tomorrow morning. 2 mg won't work, even if i wanted to try. Can't cut the piece in 5. I asked about the liquid form too. They said they don't have it. Perhaps it is not available in Canada. I don't know. I think that 10 mg is going to be a good start. 

I told the doc that I have had a rough last 3 days and asked if it would be a good idea to get a benzo. He wasn't leaning on the idea. So I am not getting any.

I then went to the hospital to rule out any heart issues. They took my blood pressure and pulse twice. The first time, it was 132/85 and the second time 157/91. Pulse was 96 and then 99. Of course, I was anxious and I had to wear a mask at the Emergency Department. The mask made it worse. 

They did and EKG, X-rays, and blood test (for Troponin, to see if there is any damage and strain). Everything turned out to be normal. The ER doctor told me that it is the panic. The symptoms that I have experienced included elevated heart rate, tightness in my stomach, squeezing of the heart, tingling feelings, etc. After 5 hours at the ER, i went back home and there is still a little bit of anxiety today. However, I think because i was told my heart is ok, then i am feeling less anxious. Tonight is not so bad. 

Note that I haven't taken St John's Worts and other natural products today, like Neurapas.

I am just hoping that i will feel better ASAP. I am aware that it can take a week or two to adjust and stabilize on Paxil again.

@Erudite

I'm sorry you had to go to a walk in clinic and the hospital, but relived you got the answers you were looking for about your heart. It can be very scary what these medications can do.

I'm a little concerned about starting at 10 mg though. I feel that that is a pretty high dosage to start on. Could you maybe start on 5 mg and see how that affects you in 4-6 days and you can always updose if needed. Paxil is just very strong and I would hate to see you have a negative reaction in reinstatement.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Could you please keep notes and post them so we know how you are doing?

Keep Notes on Paper

I'm glad to hear you haven't taken any other supplements though.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Mentor

Hello Erudite ! Welcome to SA! 
sorry you are in a rough spot. I understand as most of us has been there . 
if you were able to get a 10 mg pill you should be able to cut pretty accurate with a pill cutter. Even in quarters. I did this for a long time. As Frogie said safer to start low and come up as needed. Pill cutter should be easy to find. 

Once you get the edge knocked off these withdrawals (functional) hold for several several months. Same dose same time daily. Time is major key in taming withdrawals! 
Take care!

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Hi @Frogie and @Heath,

Today was much better than Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday. I think that the natural supplements that I was taking for the past two months were a crutch and my nervous system couldn't handle it at some point and they became relatively useless. 

I still do not feel "good" but I feel better than earlier this week (even better than the last month, I think).

When I first started taking Paxil back in 2014, I was initiated on 12.5 mg. Perhaps they determine how severe your anxiety is and decide how much to put you on. I don't think I have had a negative reaction because of the 10 mg. But, I don't know, it could happen later and I hope not.

Compared to earlier this week, I have significantly less panic episodes. Even though anxiety is still felt, it is not as intense as it was earlier this week.

I went for two walks today. I ran some errands and saw some people. I was a little anxious in social settings so I removed myself.

I feel like if it is too warm, it can trigger my anxiety so I tend to open balcony doors (I have been doing that for a while, it is not new).

One symptom that is still lingering (and again, I have only taken one pill so far...) is elevated heart rate when I move around and go up and down the stairs. Sometimes when i am sitting down for too long and stand up i feel slight dizziness.

One thing I haven't mentioned before is that my father has a history of anxiety/panic. However, he did not take any pills and he says he got over it.

Today overall offered some hope. I was able to "breathe", so to say. I also am taking time off of work until the new year.

@Erudite

I'm glad that your day was better and you were able to enjoy yourself with little anxiety. And you knew when to remove yourself from a situation.

I'm just concerned that you are still starting out taking too much Paxil. It takes about 4 days for it to take effect.

I hope you will let me know if you have any symptoms so we can address them.

10 hours ago, Frogie said:

@Erudite

I'm glad that your day was better and you were able to enjoy yourself with little anxiety. And you knew when to remove yourself from a situation.

I'm just concerned that you are still starting out taking too much Paxil. It takes about 4 days for it to take effect.

I hope you will let me know if you have any symptoms so we can address them.

@Frogie

the effects of the first pill wore off at some point last night. Since it is not controlled release, the chemicals (10 mg) were released at once in my system. I was feeling a little bit more intense anxiety last night. I was also with a group of family of 4 people. Exchanged presents. We were up until 3 am. Not super good to me.. i couldn't fall asleep until around 4 and i didn't sleep enough.

i woke up around 9 am, and i couldn't have deep sleep. I think it is typical after first pill. I remember the second day off the pills, i had a hard time falling asleep and getting sound sleep.

i went for a walk in the morning after taking the pill. And then after breakfast another walk. I find that walking helps me. Then in the afternoon, extended family came over (i am at my brother's place). I was hanging out for a bit but inhad to withdraw myself since anxiety was elevated. I couldn't even sit at the table for christmas lunch. I ate by myself in the basement. I rested for a little bit by myself and then i went upstairs to join. 

Most people don't understand what anxiety is and the symptoms.

then more people arrived... i just had to leave the house. I took my dog for a walk. There are about 13 people (excluding myself). Very loud conversations. I went to the basement with my dog.

Couple the noise and the crowd with little sleep. This is obviously too much on my nervous system.

i would say it is moderate anxiety (not severe). Yesterday it was milder. No panicking. 

so far 2 pills in. Honestly, your "4 days" is scaring me. Hopefully this message doesn't get to my subconscious to trigger some reaction after two days haha.

tomorrow morning they want me to go with them to an outdoor outlet for boxing day, and i said no way. They understood. I don't like big crowds even when i am not anxious. Instead, i am going home and i have immediate family visiting me and staying for a night. I will be in my bed tomorrow night (i got an air mattress).

i understand that i have to stay strong and live through the restabilization. It is not as bad, especially given the circumstances today (lack of sleep and big crowd). I will try some melatonin tonight. 

That is 100% understandable the amount of anxiety you are going through. 

You are lucky you're family allows you to excuse yourself and you could take the dog for a walk. That's the best thing you can do.

I don't do well in crowds either so I can understand your situation.

But you are handling it very well despite what you may think. I think you did exceptionally well the way you described your situation.

You will get there, just takes time and patients.

I had a 5 years nightmarish protracted withdrawal (almost 20 years AD, 15 paxil). My advice : stop with st john, valerian etc etc etc.  Your nervous system needs to REST. St john, valerian act AGAIN on serotinin mecanisms.  It's not a good idea AT ALL.  It seems to be, but it's not !

You will find many "good idea" or "advices" on internet. My deep conviction : none of those idea or advice are usefull. The absolute only advice who REALLY helps withdrawal is : physical exercice.  If you can : sports. Of just walking long time each days.  Physical exercices really help your body, your brain, to "heal". When you do exercices many very positive things happen to your body, many chemical, hormonal, etc. They REALLY help withdrawal. I have a great experience of withdrawal. I read and tried everything... Believe me.

You will heal. Sometimes it's very very long depending the time you took those poisons, depending on each person reaction, but you will heal. 

1999-2014 : 20mg Paxil, given for "IBS"...

2014 : Reduction, day 1 20mg, day 2 10mg, day 3, 20mg etc...
End 2014-jan/feb 2015 : Reduction again, 10-5-10-5, then 5mg... Then my life turn to hell.

April 2015 : Re-start at 20mg. Symptoms not stopped...  -  June 2015 : Back to 10mg. Not Better..
Sept 2015 : Stopped. 0 Mg. Awful dizziness etc. Symptoms + weight loss     -  Nov/Dec 2015 : Trial with Escitalopram.  Not better...
Jan to June 2016 : Back to 20mg Paxil. A little better, Regain weight, but awful symptoms still here...

June to sept  : 15 mg Paxil : awful    /  oct to mid nov : 20mg : no improvement
mid nov to mid jan 2017 : Cold turkey paxil to 30Mg Duloxetine : Some little improvements in december
Mid-jan to mid march 17 : cold turkey of everything... SSRI free... : Hell
mid march to may 17 :  few week 20 mg paxil : few days better sometimes...  / mid may to end may 17 : two weeks 10 mg paxil : hell
june to mid-sept 2017 : 5mg prozac : hell
july 2019 to now : SSRI FREE : get worse, then slow improvement

• Mentor

@Erudite Glad mark brought this up. I also agree with mark. From my on experience with Paxil and trying to come off it twice. 

not only in anxiety from withdrawals but just anxiety in general excercise really helps. During high withdrawals I use to play basketball, walk stairs at football stadium, hike in woods, cut firewood, run and bike etc. . All these helped with pain, anxiety, worry, dread , obsessive thoughts and stress. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Thank you @Mark, @Heath, and @Frogie.

First regarding Valerian, I stopped all natural supplements 24 hours before reinstating on Paxil. To my understanding it can interfere with the SSRIs. I am using, however, a "Sleep Well" roll on essential oil by Saje that contains Valerian. I will not use it tonight. I have used it in the past while on the meds and there was no interference.

What I am noticing is that the 10 mg runs its course by end of day and usually in the evening, my mood is low.

Last night after I wrote the report, i was struggling at night with low mood, and very low mood. No panic, just low mood. Eventually, I was able to fall asleep eventually. I slept better than the night before.

Today I opted out from some social activities. I went for a walk in the morning and then a run in the afternoon. During and after the run, that was when i felt the best tonight.

It is 9:40 pm right now and my family arrived. So there is a little bit of a noise and it is ok. I am not too stressed/anxious. This is what I am noticing: at night, after the 10 mg wear off, the mood goes low. Again, tonight is much better than last night, which was better than the night before. Today was my third pill.

The doctor recommended I go for 10 mg for 2 weeks before I go up to 20 mg. This is also what I did when I first started the meds in 2014: 12.5 mg for 2 weeks and then up to 25 mg two weeks later.

I will let you know tomorrow how the night ended. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/24/2021 at 2:03 PM, Erudite said:

I first went to the clinic and saw a doctor who re-instated me on Paxil. Solid tablet comes in 10 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg and 40 mg. I am starting on 10 mg tomorrow morning. 2 mg won't work, even if i wanted to try. Can't cut the piece in 5. I asked about the liquid form too. They said they don't have it. Perhaps it is not available in Canada. I don't know. I think that 10 mg is going to be a good start. 

Please update your drug signature whenever you make a chance.  The mods need to be able to see your drug history at a glance so that they do not need to read back through the posts to the information.  Include the date of the dose change and the dose amount.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses.  It is possible to make your own liquid using Paxil tablets:

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

2 hours ago, Erudite said:

The doctor recommended I go for 10 mg for 2 weeks before I go up to 20 mg. This is also what I did when I first started the meds in 2014: 12.5 mg for 2 weeks and then up to 25 mg two weeks later.

When reinstating SA recommends making small increases.  It is better to do this than to risk taking too much, which might make things worse.  The reason for this is that once you experience withdrawal symptoms your system might become sensitised.  And the effect of psychiatric drugs on your system is cumulative.  What works for you before will not necessarily work next time.

Please carefully read Post #1 of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The idea of reinstating is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If you notice improvement after the first week, then wait another week and reassess.  If it was me I would not be increasing to 20mg, but making small increments, like increasing by 1mg.  If you notice no improvement in withdrawal symptoms after 1 week (and no worsening) then you could make a 1mg increase after the first week.

Please continue posting letting us know how you are. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/23/2021 at 1:42 PM, Erudite said:

5000 IUs of Vitamin D3.

Q:  Is this amount correct?  If it is, then it is an extremely high dose of Vitamin D3.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a couple of days. The past two days I have been spending them with my mother and I took time off work this week.

The panic episodes have diminished. I am on my 7th day today of the 10 mg (I have updated my signature). Days 5 and 6, there has been underlying tension/anxiety (more than days 3 and 4). It was not unbearable but not pleasant. Last night, it was good. It is funny how the system works. Sometimes, i feel better at night, and other times i feel worse.

This morning, I woke up fine. I am implementing runs and walks every day which is a challenge living in Canada. Speaking of, yes, i am on 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D3. I experienced a vitamin D deficiency, and even when I was on 20,000 IUs, my Vitamin D levels remained within normal range. I had an appointment with a naturopathic doctor yesterday and showed her my blood test results as of December 22nd and she advised to continue on 5,000 IUs for now, and we will re-assess Vitamin D3 in the future. The naturopath will eventually help me with the tapering in the future, together with SA members and a physician. Right now, my goal is to feel "normal". I feel like it might take a couple of weeks. So, I am hanging in there.

My sleep has been fine the last two days. I don't have trouble falling asleep and I sleep through the night. 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Erudite said:

yes, i am on 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D3. I experienced a vitamin D deficiency, and even when I was on 20,000 IUs, my Vitamin D levels remained within normal range. I had an appointment with a naturopathic doctor yesterday and showed her my blood test results as of December 22nd and she advised to continue on 5,000 IUs for now, and we will re-assess Vitamin D3 in the future.

I am glad that this is being monitored.  I was concerned about it because I was low in Vitamin D and the doctor had me taking 4000IU.  However it was not monitored and I ended up taking it for a long time.