SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

neurogenesis: Tapering 50 mg quetiapine very slowly

neurogenesis

Hi,i was injected with zuclopenthixol and took quetiapine 

My doctor tapered the quetiapine from higher dosages down to 50 mg witch i took for 1 month and got off,then i was hit with psychosis for the first time

I think i had neurotransmitters supersensitivity 

Im curently on 200 mg

Im planning to to a very slow taper off to 50 mg quetiapine by removing 2 mg each month and when i reach 25 mg remove 1 mg per month (aprox 3 years or even more of tapering

I need help 

Do receptors adjust back to pre medication state during a very slow taper like this?

I did not had psychosis pre medication,it was induced by antipsychotics

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

April 2020 Zuclopenthixol decanoate    quetiapine,sertraline 150 mg

march or april 2021  st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine

2021  tapered Quetiapine   once a month  reductions  300mg, 200mg  ,100 , april 50 mg stopped  Cold turkey, april st john worth

May  sertraline 150 mg, st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine,loratadine

may:experienced  symtoms i never had before treatment (intense delusion,intense paranoia)

Rehospitalization

Sertraline  150 mg stopped cold turkey during rehospitalization

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021 and restarted 400 mg,200mg quetiapine.curently tapering.On 263mgpw(taken 2x day)

May neuroplasticity help me finalize the taper safely

• ChessieCat changed the title to neurogenesis: Tapering 50 mg quetiapine very slowly

Hi

I was injected zuclopenthixol decanoate (* see note below) thennwas put on quetiapine

My doctor lowered the dose over the course of a few months from 300 to 50

After i got off the 50 mg,i was hit for the first time by psychosis

Im crently on 200 mg and im when i reach 50 mg im planing to do a slow taper to 50 mg by removing 2 mg each month and when i reach 25 mg remove 1 mg per month

Will the brain adjust?will the excesive receptors downregulate back to normal while doing such a slow taper?

Help

Zuclopenthixol, also known as zuclopentixol, is a medication used to treat schizophrenia and other psychoses. It is classed, pharmacologically, as a typical antipsychotic. Chemically it is a thioxanthene. It is the cis-isomer of clopenthixol. Clopenthixol was introduced in 1961, while zuclopenthixol was introduced in 1978.Wikipedia

Edited by ChessieCat
post moved from another member's Intro / added drug info

2021  tapered Quetiapine   once a month  reductions  300mg, 200mg  ,100 , april 50 mg stopped  Cold turkey, april st john worth

may:experienced  symtoms i never had before treatment (intense delusion,intense paranoia)

Rehospitalization

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021 and restarted 400 mg,200mg quetiapine.curently tapering.On 263mgpw(taken 2x day)

Welcome @neurogenesis

I'm sorry your last taper did not go well, but relieved you have found this forum now. 50mg is a high dose to quit quetiapine, so it is good that you are planning a slow taper all the way down this time.

Are you taking any other drugs or supplements?

About tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off quetiapine (Seroquel)

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

This post explains how your brain adjusts to going off the drug:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain  

It is important to stop tapering if you get withdrawal symptoms:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics  

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and think about it, and we will take it from there.

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  If you need any advice specific to you and your situation, please ask it here. Otherwise, feel free to join discussions on other threads. To make sure I or someone sees your question, tag them by writing @ and then start typing their username. A drop down menu will appear. Click on their username and it will turn blue. 

We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

6 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

Welcome @neurogenesis

I'm sorry your last taper did not go well, but relieved you have found this forum now. 50mg is a high dose to quit quetiapine, so it is good that you are planning a slow taper all the way down this time.

Are you taking any other drugs or supplements?

About tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off quetiapine (Seroquel)

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

This post explains how your brain adjusts to going off the drug:

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics  

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years following these instructions:

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and think about it, and we will take it from there.

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  If you need any advice specific to you and your situation, please ask it here. Otherwise, feel free to join discussions on other threads. To make sure I or someone sees your question, tag them by writing @ and then start typing their username. A drop down menu will appear. Click on their username and it will turn blue. 

We're glad you found your way here.

Thank you for replying,

Im not taking other drugs

I was injected with zuclopenthixol decanoate in june,and curently on 200 mg quetiapine,will let the doctor do the taper like the last time witch is kinda fast  he tapered from 300 to 50 mg in 4 months and it went well everything was ok,then  i took 50 mg for 1 month and got off,after i got off that s when i got psychosis for the first time 

When i get to 50 mg i want to go extremely slowly removing 5 percent each month

50 mg -2mg per month

25mg -1mg per month

12mg-0.5mg per month

6mg-not sure yet either 0.5 or 0.3 per month (it will take 4 years to taper this 50 mg quetiapine

Do the  excesive receptors downregulate back to normal during this very slow taper off?

Edited by neurogenesis

Rehospitalization

Although you can probably manage a a faster taper than 10% at the highest doses, and this went fine last time, I would recommend at least going slower and reducing by less than you did last time. Each time we start and stop psychiatric drugs the central nervous system (CNS) becomes more and more sensitized. So what went well once, might be harder the second time.

18 hours ago, neurogenesis said:

Do the  excesive receptors downregulate back to normal during this very slow taper off?

Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time. How long is very individual. But the goal is to taper slowly enough that the brain can adjust during the taper.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

16 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

Although you can probably manage a a faster taper than 10% at the highest doses, and this went fine last time, I would recommend at least going slower and reducing by less than you did last time. Each time we start and stop psychiatric drugs the central nervous system (CNS) becomes more and more sensitized. So what went well once, might be harder the second time.

Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time. How long is very individual. But the goal is to taper slowly enough that the brain can adjust during the taper.

I think my body developed too many receptors,and when i got off 50mg i had too many of them that caused psychosis,i wonder if the body removes them back to premeficated state during a slow taper to this 50mg @Kiasofia

Rehospitalization

It is not well understood how these drugs actually work. But the brain adapts to the drug being there and needs time to adjust to it not being there. A theory is that receptors shut down while we take the drug and they need to turn back on again when the drug is removed. So the process needs to happen slowly. It is not uncommon for people to get psychotic symptoms when quitting psychiatric drugs, even if they never had psychotic symptoms before.

I highly recommend reading  Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (interview) as well as A straight talking introduction to psychiatric drugs by Joanna Moncrieff to better understand these drugs and their effects. The Council for Evidence based Psychiatry also has a lot of good information.

So it’s easy for anyone reading your posts to get a quick overview of your situation we ask members to summarize their medication history in a signature following these instructions:

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Tapering, neurotransmiters supersensitivity

Do neurotransmiter supersensitivity adjust to normal during a very slow tapper off quetiapine?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your new topic to your Introduction topic.  Here is the best place to ask questions about your own situation.  It keeps everything about you in one place.

Please create your drug signature.  This lets us see your drug history at a glance and not have to read back through your posts.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Kiasofia explained in her post above what happens in the brain.  These topics might help:

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

What is Happening in Your Brain

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

What do you guys think of reducing 2 mg per month out of 50mg quetiapine

And when i get to 25mg reduce 1 mg per month

And remove 0.5 mg per month when i get to 12mg? Then when arriving at 6 mg reduce 0.3 per month until 0

@kiasofia

Rehospitalization

It keeps you below 10% of the current dose so it is a possible method. However, reducing from 27 to 25 will be a much bigger % reduction than from 50 to 48. It's recommended that each cut be smaller than the last one. Look at the charts in this link to see the difference between a linear taper (reducing by the same amount) versus hyperbolic taper (smaller and smaller cuts each time).

In the end, a tapering plan is just a plan. You will need to see how you are feeling and make adjustments a long the way.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Hello 

I got off 50 mg quetiapine and ended up with psychosis supersensivity

Will gradually getting of 50 mg help prevent this?

Im planning a very slow taper off,reducing 2 mg per month

And when arriving at 25 mg reduce just 1 mg per month

Pre psychiatry i had mild drug induced psychosis is this permanent?

Rehospitalization

Tapering 50 mg quetiapine very slowly

Hey guys

I quited 50 mg quetiapine cold turkey

And ended up with psychosis supersensivity

Im planning to remove 2 mg/month when im at 50 mg

When reaching 25mg remove 1mg/month

And 12mg remove just 0.5 per month

Can anyone help?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Rehospitalization

Mild psychosis

Hi ,Before psychiatry i had drug induced mild psychosis
I smoked some cigars with drugs in them
Will this mild psychosis caused by those drugs i took   comeback?

Edited by ChessieCat
added success story topic title before merging with Intro topic

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/24/2021 at 5:24 PM, neurogenesis said:

Im curently on 200 mg

Im planning to to a very slow taper off to 50 mg quetiapine by removing 2 mg each month and when i reach 25 mg remove 1 mg per month (aprox 3 years or even more of tapering

@neurogenesisWhat date were you last on 200 mg quetiapine? When did you drop down to 50 mg?

Please update your signature to reflect the dates when you made changes to this drug. Your signature is here:

Account Settings - Create or Edit Your Signature

@Shepim curently on 200 mg quetiapine,but when i get to 50 mg im planning to reduce it very slowly over the course of 3 years

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, neurogenesis said:

@Shepim curently on 200 mg quetiapine,but when i get to 50 mg im planning to reduce it very slowly over the course of 3 years

Here is some information about this drug that you may find helpful:

At doses around 150 mg, quetiapine affects histamine and not dopamine. Many people find that as they get under 200 mg and transition from a dopamine drug to a histamine drug, they need to go very slowly. So I would go no faster than a 10% a month reduction based on the previous month's dose (not the original dose).

Once you feel stable enough to taper, you may want to reduce 10% off the 200 mg, which would be a 20 mg reduction. But please wait to taper until you feel stable. You may even want to taper slower than 10%.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi neurogenesis, 

Thanks for your PM. I see Shep is taking good care of you. Yes, please don’t taper any more than 10%, but don’t do it until you feel stable. I’m tapering much lower than that as my body can’t cope with that amount, it’s way too much of a drop.

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

My sense is quetiapine is the closest to olanzapine to come off.  Significant differences for sure, but the the terrain is comparable.

While this article could be seen as casually sexist which I find displeasing, it does summarise a key insight into withdrawing from these major tranquilisers that you won't find in the drug packets.  

https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

Learning to listen to your body is key.  I found I had to hold for up to two or even three months around the thresholds of the receptor affinity changes as I came down.  I just couldn't settle at 1.2mg for example, even after weeks.  Updosing to 1.25mg and then holding did the trick before long.

You might find the same approach to quetiapine helpful, with reference to what @Shep is pointing out.

Edited by hayduke

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

@Shepsupose i arrive at 1 mg quetiapine trough slow tapering,when should i make the jump to 0?

Taking 0.1mg quetiapine then 1 month later jump to 0?

Rehospitalization

@Shep when i jumped from 50mg quetiapine to zero i had psychosis supersensitivity,does that resolve during a slow taper off ?

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/5/2022 at 5:38 AM, Shep said:

@neurogenesisWhat date were you last on 200 mg quetiapine? When did you drop down to 50 mg?

Please update your signature to reflect the dates when you made changes to this drug. Your signature is here:

Account Settings - Create or Edit Your Signature

Please update your signature so we have the information we need to answer your questions. 

Here is more on how to set up a signature:

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/3/2022 at 9:14 AM, neurogenesis said:

Hello 

I got off 50 mg quetiapine and ended up with psychosis supersensivity

Will gradually getting of 50 mg help prevent this?

Im planning a very slow taper off,reducing 2 mg per month

And when arriving at 25 mg reduce just 1 mg per month

Pre psychiatry i had mild drug induced psychosis is this permanent?

Hi there neurogenesis, @neurogenesis

I moved the above, that I quoted, back here to your Introduction topic.

You had posted it on a moderators Success Story topic.

When asking question specific to your case, those questions are best posted on your Introduction page.

You can always notify someone, if you would like their input.

You'll see that post now above, with the date January 3rd above it, here on your page.  You just need to scroll on up now to find it. 

Has your psychosis resolved now?

And thank you, for getting to your signature......I am still not seeing if you recently jumped from 200 mg Seroquel to 50 mg Seroquel though.

If you could edit your signature to reflect current drug doses and dates, that will help us a lot.

The post above mine, you'll see where Shep asks and then gives you links to update or edit your signature.

Please do so.  Thank you.

This is what I see now, at the end of your signature:

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021

Curently on Quetiapine 200 mg

Please add a date to when you started up on 200 mg quetiapine, and then another date when you went to 50 mg, if you have done so since 2020.  I do see in 2020, you note 300 mg quetiapine, and then a taper, and then possibly a jump off at 50 mg.

Zuclopenthixol decanoate depo april2020

Quetiapine tapered from  300mg to 50mg (april) in 4-5 months

Getting off 50 quetiapine cold turkey psychosis supersensivity

If that is all correct, what I copied here of your signature, then all you need to do is note the date started of quetiapine, instead of currently.  And ask if this is too confusing too.  Okay?

I think that, yes, you can recover from mild drug induced psychosis.

And let us know how you are doing, update here, on your thread too.......thank you.

Going slowly, with a taper of Seroquel/quetiapine is key, and then especially when getting down around and below the 200 mg dose.

Around or less than 150 mg, quetiapine switches from affecting dopamine receptors to affecting histamine receptors.

And I'll add in another reference for you to look at now too:

Horowitz, 2021: A Method for Tapering Antipsychotic Treatment that May Minimize the Risk of Relapse

Do come around and ask though too, when you feel ready to taper, or have questions around your specifics.  Okay?  Posting right here, in your Introduction is good.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
member notification, and additional

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

@manymoretodaysi edited the drug signature

im curenyly on 200 mg quetiapine ,i estimate in 6 months will arrive at 50 mg.

im only concerned with tapering the last 50 mg witch i cold turkeyed last time and had psychosis supersensitivity

Im worried that the excesive receptors will not downregulate back to normal 

Rehospitalization

@manymoretodaysi edited the drug signature

im curenyly on 200 mg quetiapine ,i estimate in 6 months will arrive at 50 mg.

im only concerned with tapering the last 50 mg witch i cold turkeyed last time and had psychosis supersensitivity

Im worried that the excesive receptors will not downregulate back to normal 

Im thinking of doing 10 percent hyperbolic taper of those until i arrive at 25 mg then do 5 percent taper

Edited by manymoretodays
none

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there neurogenesis, @neurogenesis

Yes thankyou.  So you restarted at 400 mg quetiapine 2021 June.

How did you taper down to your hopefully present dose of 200 mg of quetiapine?

And how are you doing now?  I know you are uber anxious about tapering, judging by your multiple posts, and PM's as well to me.......but let's make sure you are feeling ready and equipped and confident going forward with a taper again?  How does that sound?

I had to look up the zuclopenhixol deconate,  I have not met anyone who has taken that here yet?  I wonder if they use it in the States?

Here's an old pubmed article about it:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7032616/

And then, are you still on the 200 mg dose now of quetiapine?

Have you had a good look at both the tapering topic specific to your drug, and also got a good feel for tapering of just 10% off of each previous dosage?

On 12/26/2021 at 1:50 PM, Kiasofia said:

Are you planning to liquify your quetiapine for tapering purposes or use a scale?

And I will copy over a portion of the PM's you sent to me, here too, I hope that is okay.  That way, all members can benefit and learn from each other too, as to planning tapers, and then when they do begin, with similar drugs,

After i quited 50 mg quetiapine cold turkey i ended up with psychosis supersensivity

Is this resolved with a very gradual taper off those last 50 mg quetiapine?

I think my receptors where too much upregulated from the blockade,i wonder if they downregulate back to premedicated state (to normal) during the very slow taper off

Im planning to get off when im on less than 1 mg

Ps:i definetly think 50 mg dosen t affect just histamine receptors,otherwise i wouldn t get psychotic withdrawal from getting off 50 mg.i think it still blocks neurotransmiters to a large degree

Has your super-sensory psychosis resolved now?

And yes, the hope would be, that if you did get resolution of the psychosis, that with a slow enough, and cautious taper, you would not suffer that symptom again.  I suppose too, that there are some, who might decide to just stay on a lower dose of quetiapine, to possibly prevent the resurgence of that symptom.   Me, I would be hopeful that with slow enough tapering......and good management, support, etc., that it could be done.......that you could come off slowly enough, over a long enough time period to prevent another bout of psychosis.  (I tend to lean toward hopeful and optimistic with most cases)  Again, I'm not a doctor though, and only a peer whose experiences may have been different from yours too.  It does sound like you'd like to be less medicated, at the very least.

Do you experience adverse effects from the quetiapine now?  Or side effects?

And okay, try to be patient with us neurogenesis too.  I've got to run again, right now, myself, but looks like there are several moderators trying to look after your needs now too.  😊  And then other members often help out with support and encouragement too.  I'll be back around pretty soon.

So I left you a couple more questions.  And thank you for getting back to your signature.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Supersensitivity psychosis is when you stoop abruptly antipsychotic example you cold turkey 50 mg quetiapine

(The brain had more neurotransmiters receptors than needed ,as a result of not having enough time to adjust to lower and lower dosages

When you block the neurotransmiters with antipsychotics the brain simply makes more of them to achieve homeostasis,im thinking that the reversive proces happens (downregulation of those excesive receptors )aswell during each slow taper off

From what i read after each cut the brain removes those extrareptors with time,then after next cut the same thing happens till you reach to normal

Rehospitalization

Supersensitivity psychosis ia defined the the extrareceptors,when you have too much of them your brain is more sensitive to neurotransmiters,to downregulate back to normal,i must taper off slowly

Rehospitalization

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13pyjdNK7R8RyOzLq4NuOa_b6pPVQZ3HN/view?usp=drivesdk

This article shows how receptors adapt to tappering off medication

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

4 hours ago, neurogenesis said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13pyjdNK7R8RyOzLq4NuOa_b6pPVQZ3HN/view?usp=drivesdk

This article shows how receptors adapt to tappering off medication

Hi neurogenesis,

Yes.  That looks like it was also co-authored by Mark Horowitz.  What I quoted above.

Did you see my link above to another article co-authored, or possibly sole authored by Dr. Horowitz?  Scroll up and you'll find it, at the end of one of my replies to you.

I find I have to give the articles more than just one read through, to fully grasp the concepts.......oh, but I too, love the diagrams.......very helpful.

And yes, supersensitivity psychosis.  I had called it supersensory I think.  I stand corrected.  And yours occurred shortly after you jumped from 50 mg?  Within a couple of months?  It sounds like sometimes even longer after.......but we are all sure hoping that with slow tapers, the time frame and the hyperbolic taper, based on the previous dose, or even if it can be pinpointed to receptor affinity- and tapering according to changes in that.........that the outcomes of supersensitivity psychosis will be lessened, or possible there won't be that occurrence at all.

On 12/26/2021 at 1:50 PM, Kiasofia said:

And again, I am quoting some of what Kiasofia gave you to look at earlier too neurogenesis.  There are other withdrawal symptoms too, that might occur, and very similar to what happens with the other psychoactives.  So it's worth a review.

On another realm, you might be interested in looking at some of this:  Healing "psychosis": stories, info, and resources.  Part of a blog series, which is great stuff too.

Any chance you are eligible to partake in this pilot project: 

This is co-staffed by Dr. Horowitz too.  Take a look at the leaflet.  You'll need to download it, which was easy enough for me to do.  That would be cool, if you were in the right area, and met the criteria.  It's NHS funded or backed I believe.  I'm not sure though, so don't quote me on that. 

4 hours ago, neurogenesis said:

Supersensitivity psychosis ia defined the the extrareceptors,when you have too much of them your brain is more sensitive to neurotransmiters,to downregulate back to normal,i must taper off slowly

And yes, a slow taper is key.  Sometimes years.  And from my standpoint, I think it might be good to go extra cautious and slow, below the 200 mg dose......at least no quicker than 10% from each previous dose.  I'm all about caution, and harm reduction.

See also:  The rule of 3KI's: Keep it simple, slow, and stable

Do tell though, how ARE you doing right now?  At the 200 mg dose of quetiapine.

Thanks for sharing neurogenesis.  Appreciate it.  And do hope you are doing okay now and all.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

@manymoretodaysi just hope the receptors will adapt as it is presented in the article ,

the taper from 50mg will last at least 3 years,it is very slow

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, but if I were you, I might want to go slowly from the get go.

Like only down by 10% of each previous dose.  Even from 200 mg.

A 10% taper of 200 mg would be just going down to 180 mg, then HOLDING for at least 4 weeks.

10% from 180 mg would be 162 mg.

Then HOLD at the new dose for at least 4 weeks.

Slow and steady.  Cautious.  I haven't done the math all the way down to see how long it would take to get to 1/40 of your starting dose.

If it takes longer than 3 years......that's okay, isn't it?

Have you done the math all the way down, using a 10% taper from each previous dose?

We've got some calculators here, if you like online calculators:

How to calculate dosages and dilutions? Spreadsheets and calculators

Calculators to help you create your own taper plan

Important always to listen to your body, watch for WD symptoms, keep notes, and get a good feel for how you do with each taper.

Yes, me too......about your receptors re-adapting.  I'd say if nervous about your tapering rate at any time, slow down, HOLD.

You can taper by less than 10%.

Or take 5 years if you want.  Or more.

Whatever feels best in the way of harm reduction or caution.

Edited by manymoretodays

Thx man

Rehospitalization

• 3 weeks later...

Im experiencing jolts /twiches when im about to fall asleep,it wakes me up when it happens(last night i couldn t sleep at all as they ocured the entire night

Im worried this might be permanent condition,or that i will start experience this more when i will begin my tapering off

Rehospitalization

I used to get those as a kid.  Not surprising given what was happening in my family.

I would suggest exercise during the day or early evening, yoga and meditation any time, especially before bed should help induce a lot more relaxation.

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

There are also utilities like F.lux and Redshift that take the blue light out of the screen after sunset.  Apple has a built in one now too, Night Shift...the other OSes probably have now too.  I find these all help a lot if I am on a computer or phone, but better to put them away early if I can.