neurogenesis: Tapering 50 mg quetiapine very slowly

neurogenesis

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, neurogenesis said:

Also if under the dosage 150 mg quetiapine switches from dopamine to histamine;

wouldn t the risk of supersensitivity psychosis(SP) should be zero  if someone is under 150 mg quetiapine?

There is no hard and fast science here, but once you're under 150 mg and dealing more with histamine than dopamine, you should be fine as long as you continue to taper slowly.

I wouldn't speed up the taper when you get lower. You want to preserve your sleep. Insomnia can also cause psychotic symptoms.

30 minutes ago, neurogenesis said:

Some pills weigh 0.266g other 0.269g

So in order to arrive at 233 i had to reduce  6mg from the 0.269g and 3mg from 0.266(this is an issue )

Also Im NOT using extended release,and it still has a coat(pink)while the inside of the pill is white

The differing weights are due to the amount of filler, not the active ingredient. So you'll want to reduce by percentage of whatever the amount of each pill is. Your weights will vary, but the percentage will stay the same.

I'm going to ask one of the mods who is using a scale to check in on your thread. It will help to have your information ready for them. Please answer:

• What percentage are you reducing by?
  • What times of day are you taking each of your doses and at what amount?

Im doing the original brass monkey slide at 4 percent reduction per cycle

1 percent on week1,2,3,4 then 2 weeks hold

Time:11 a clock morning and 9:15pm

I am at 198 mg total daily dose

99 mg morning

99 mg night

At the moment im not crushing but soon will try to see i hope it will not cause heart racing,beacouse then it will have a negative domino effect,i will be forced to take propranolol witch in turn makes me feel very iritable/destabilize my mood and will probably end up in the ER for a lorazepam

April 2020 Zuclopenthixol decanoate    quetiapine,sertraline 150 mg

march or april 2021  st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine

2021  tapered Quetiapine   once a month  reductions  300mg, 200mg  ,100 , april 50 mg stopped  Cold turkey, april st john worth

May  sertraline 150 mg, st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine,loratadine

may:experienced  symtoms i never had before treatment (intense delusion,intense paranoia)

Rehospitalization

Sertraline  150 mg stopped cold turkey during rehospitalization

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021 and restarted 400 mg,200mg quetiapine.curently tapering.On 263mgpw(taken 2x day)

May neuroplasticity help me finalize the taper safely

Hello ,any thoughts on ketogenic diet for psychotic symtoms or supersensitivity psychosis?

I know you are not nutritionists

But i ve been reading articles where it says that people got rid of psychotic symtoms with it!

I also read that it can act as a mood stabilizer ,trough increasing gaba and decreasing glutamate

Also i read that it does modulate dopamine

Here is one of the articles i ve been reading

https://academic.oup.com/ijnp/article/23/7/434/5861311

2021  tapered Quetiapine   once a month  reductions  300mg, 200mg  ,100 , april 50 mg stopped  Cold turkey, april st john worth

may:experienced  symtoms i never had before treatment (intense delusion,intense paranoia)

Rehospitalization

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021 and restarted 400 mg,200mg quetiapine.curently tapering.On 263mgpw(taken 2x day)

Hello,im thinking of using ketogenic diet to overcome supersensitivity psychosis.does any1 has any thoughts on this?there are cases of people overcoming psychotic symtoms with this diet.

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, neurogenesis said:

Hello,im thinking of using ketogenic diet to overcome supersensitivity psychosis.does any1 has any thoughts on this?there are cases of people overcoming psychotic symtoms with this diet.

I watched this video the other day; it was only posted on 14th May 2022:

From the "Low Carb Down Under" Youtube channel:

Dr. Chris Palmer - 'The Ketogenic Diet in Neurology and Psychiatry'

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

22 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I watched this video the other day; it was only posted on 14th May 2022:

From the "Low Carb Down Under" Youtube channel:

Dr. Chris Palmer - 'The Ketogenic Diet in Neurology and Psychiatry'

Thank you the video is awsome and informative

Rehospitalization

On 5/18/2022 at 1:08 AM, ChessieCat said:

Hello

I think i severely kindled my nervous system by going for 2 days on ketogenic diet

Im getting strong symtoms of myoclonus(a very syrong mental rush) acompanied by a mini panik attack atack when i fall asleep

It s very bad...it s also acompanied  by voices.it happens when im right before transitioning from wakefullnes to sleep .....this mental rush wakes me up with halucinations that last for 1 second... didn t had this before treatment...i meessed up  

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Did you completely cut out most sugar and carbs 2 days ago?

If yes, then you are possibly going through sugar/carb withdrawal.  Some people get what they call "keto flu".  How much research did you do before going keto?  When making any major change when our nervous system is sensitised it is better to do it gradually instead of all at one.

I suggest that you do some research and watch some reputable Youtube videos about it.  Sten Ekberg is very good and has a sensible approach.  Check out this video.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Yes i did it completely removed any carbs

I also experienced a severe mood problem  witch almost landed me in hospital

Rehospitalization

Hello i read that antidepressants do cause psychosis,if it is so is it permanent?

Rehospitalization

@neurogenesis

The use of SNRIs has rarely tipped patients into hypomania. I have also seen it with Trazadone use. 

The situation was rapidly and safely resolved with care and sensible follow up. 

Sadly many GPS are not aware of this issue. 

OD 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

I just hope it isn t permanent whatever i had .

Rehospitalization

Hello ,will there be a problem if i will be splitting the quetiapine dose into 3 times a day (instead of 2 witch im doing at the moment)?

The reason i am thinking of doing this is that  1 hour before dosing my mood get s down and i get moderately stressed /irritated then after i take the pill my mood is back on the baseline.

Rehospitalization

@neurogenesis

If you are having interdose withdrawals -as it seems-then moving to three times a day makes perfect sense. 

Yours 

OD 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

Hello ,i started the taper 2 weeks ago

Im microtapering at 5% /6weeks

Im still undecided between microtapering at 5 % or 10%/6 weeks

Does the 10 % will more likely to cause me troubles? 

Is there any good reason to decide to microtaper at 10%?

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming that you are doing the BrassMonkey taper.  You could stay with the 5% for the duration of this taper cycle.  If things go okay then you could try increasing the % reduction a bit more, eg 7, 7.5 or 8% depending on whether you can calculate your doses.  If after that reduction cycle things go okay they you could try a 10% reduction.  However if at any time during the reduction cycle, for any % reduction amount, you find that your symptoms get worse then you can always hold for longer before making the next reduction.

Hello

Im afraid that beacouse i splited my dose into 3 i won t get sleep

I was dosing twice a day (260mgpw morning,260mgpw at night

Today i splited the entire  daily dose into 3 equal parts witch is aprox 170mgpw (520mgpw : 3 dose)

So the dose before sleep today was 170mgpw instead of the ussual 260mgpw

It s like 30%reduction on sleep dose to make up for 3 equal splits troughout the day instead of 2

Edited by neurogenesis

Rehospitalization

@neurogenesis

I am sorry that you are anxious about not sleeping because of the evening drop. 
However you were finding unpleasant interdose mood drops on a twice daily regime. 
I think you have to wait and see which regime suits you best. 
The option of dosing 30%/30%/40% instead of 33% x 3 is something I have done with benzodiazepines but I don’t think it’s commonly advised to take uneven doses. 
I expect a mod to advise on this but you may be surprised by the change you have made if you have better days. 

OD 

Could this kindle my nervous system?

I did had some symtoms(some sort of minipanik attack that happened when falling asleep(something like a mental rush ) and would wake me up.(but eventually i slept the whole night!)

Rehospitalization

@neurogenesis

Hi 

I think that’s a really good post. 
you don’t mention a nasty interdose withdrawal- simply a short period of anxiety and actually a good night. 

I don’t believe that you would kindle!! 

You haven’t increased your total dose. 

Chin up. 
OD 

Hello

I just want to make sure if it s corect what im doing

I do the brassmonkey slide at 4-5 percent

With hold 2 week

But when i make the reduction, i remove 1 percent per week from pill's weight 

So after a cycle 4 percent of pills weight is removed(does this mean 4 percent from the active ingredient is removed? 

Is this correct?

I also don t know how many mg of active ingredient i am on beacouse i only remove pill's weight

P.s.

Is the half life of 5 percent microtaper  with 2 week holds 18 months?

Rehospitalization

Hello!

will my energy and vitality gradually comeback at 100%  after stoping the quetiapine?

Rehospitalization

Mine did -)))) 

OD

Yes, the half-life of a 5% Brassmonkey Slide would be 18 months.

It sounds like you are doing your doses correctly.

For each cycle you reduce from the same number each week. If your previous dose was 50mgpw for the first week you would reduce that by 1%, the second week by 2%, the third week by 3% and weeks 4-6 by 4%. For the next cycle you would start with the week 4-6 number and reduce that in the same manner.

The weight of the dose and the strength of the dose are in direct proportion to each other. If you reduce the weight of the dose by 10% you also reduce the strength of the dose by the same 10%.

If you divide the strength of a tablet, as listed on the package, by the average weight of a tablet you get what is called the AIC (Active Ingredient Concentration). This is the amount of amount of active ingredient in 1mgpw of powder.

Multiply the AIC by the weight of the dose you are measuring, and you get the strength of that dose.

For me it went like this; 40/500= 0.08AIC

350mgpw X 0.08AIC = 28mgai. So, if I weigh out 350mgpw of powder I am getting 28mg of active ingredient.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi,during doze reduction does the brain keep upregulating the hypersensitive receptors,or it stops doing that and just downregulate them?

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what the brain does exactly but I do know that the brain is always trying to regain homeostasis and balance things out so that it can work the way it needs to.  So if a drug is added it changes things to incorporate the drug.  When a drug is taken away it happens in reverse.

Worrying and trying to figure this out only adds stress.  When we are stressed the brain thinks the body is in danger so it diverts its attention to dealing with the threat in order to keep us alive and recovery/healing processes are put on hold.

So I think it is more important to try to reduce your stress by regularly using relaxation techniques that to spend time trying answer what might be an unanswerable question.

Helllo im feeling stressed,i don t know what caused it,the withdrawal,or the greassy food i ate

I panicked and upped the 25mgpw back to the original dose

Rehospitalization

Hello can i updose above my original dose?

I feel stress,i can only think that s the withdrawal acumulated during the 3 weeks tapering

Rehospitalization

Help!! Im not feeling stable im experiencing problems with the mood

Rehospitalization

Im afraid that im going to die help...i ingested another 50 mg of quetiapine powder

Rehospitalization

I will go to hospital if it s not going away

Rehospitalization

I feel like im in a desperate need for a benzodiazepine

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

@neurogenesis If you're in a crisis state, please reach out to someone on the ground for help. As an online forum, we aren't able to help with crisis states. 

For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

1 hour ago, neurogenesis said:

Helllo im feeling stressed,i don t know what caused it,the withdrawal,or the greassy food i ate

If greasy food caused your wave, it will pass. Many of us can't tolerate unhealthy food. 

If you have some peppermint or ginger tea, that may help if you're having GI problems. 

@neurogenesis

You know you can ring 111 option 2 for the crisis team. 
They can get you seen in Casualty by the mental health team.  

Stay safe 

OD

The cause may have been that the night  cuted pill was stuck in throat and not making it s effect.

Im gonna try make it powder from now on and drink it as powder

Rehospitalization

@neurogenesis

How are you feeling? I’m hoping better. 
🙏🏻

PREVIOUS

2018 Ativan 1mg Oct-Jan (CT), 2019 Effexor 75mg, Klonopin .25mg, Trazadone 75mg, Bridge to Prozac (?dose), 2020 Taper off all, 2021 Zoloft (?dose), Jan-May (CT @ Hospital), Remeron (?dose) Trazadone 75mg, Propanolol (?dose), Klonopin .50mg, Buspar (?dose),

2021 Prozac (?dose), Trazadone 75mg, Klonopin 2 times a day, 2021 August fast taper Trazadone  Prozac fast taper in August. August Lexapro 10mg

2022 January  Lexapro to 25mg, February FT to 10mg Lexapro over 6 weeks, Klonopin .25mg 2 times a day, May Effexor 35mg, June bridge from Effexor to 30mg Cymbalta. Held on Lexapro until November.

supplements  2023  Jan Probiotics stopped taking after two weeks ADR April 1k Iu Vitamin D W/ K stopped after a few days ADR. March 50mg Mag glycinate stopped after a week ADR

January 2023added an additional .25 mg Klonopin (.25 mg three times a day)

CURRENT

1/23-Present Klonopin .75mg divided into .25mg 3 times a day. 6:30am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm 

1/23Present Lexapro .101 mgpw - 8.08 mgai 8:00am

1/23-Present Estradiol .50mg 8:00am

1/23-Present 30mg Cymbalta 12:30pm

6/23 to present Holding no changes 7/4 reduced Lexapro to 7.92mg 7/31 7.84mg 8/7 7.76mg 7/14 7.60mg 10/1 7.44mg 10/28 7.36mg 2/1 7.12mg 2/14 7.04mg 3/5/24 6.88mg 3/12 6.80mg