neurogenesis: Tapering 50 mg quetiapine very slowly

neurogenesis

@shep can i taper if im feeling unstable

I feel desperate 

April 2020 Zuclopenthixol decanoate    quetiapine,sertraline 150 mg

march or april 2021  st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine

2021  tapered Quetiapine   once a month  reductions  300mg, 200mg  ,100 , april 50 mg stopped  Cold turkey, april st john worth

May  sertraline 150 mg, st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine,loratadine

may:experienced  symtoms i never had before treatment (intense delusion,intense paranoia)

Rehospitalization

Sertraline  150 mg stopped cold turkey during rehospitalization

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021 and restarted 400 mg,200mg quetiapine.curently tapering.On 263mgpw(taken 2x day)

May neuroplasticity help me finalize the taper safely

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, neurogenesis said:

@shep did you crushed all your medications when you were taking them?

No, I came off my drugs cold turkey and rapid taper. I never did a proper taper because I didn't know about proper tapers at the time. 

Are you also having trouble swallowing food? 

9 hours ago, neurogenesis said:

@shep can i taper if im feeling unstable

I feel desperate 

You can, but you'll likely feel worse if you taper too quickly and too soon. 

I have trouble eating food.no apetite couse im not feelik ok

Now i feel too depressed

(Im back in the ward second time)

They give me lorazepam for restlessness,but i think it s causing me severe depresion

2021  tapered Quetiapine   once a month  reductions  300mg, 200mg  ,100 , april 50 mg stopped  Cold turkey, april st john worth

may:experienced  symtoms i never had before treatment (intense delusion,intense paranoia)

Rehospitalization

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021 and restarted 400 mg,200mg quetiapine.curently tapering.On 263mgpw(taken 2x day)

Neurogenesis, sorry you're feeling badly. I took Clonazepam during the worst of withdrawal and it made me depressed too. Can you please update your signature with the new drugs that you are taking?

I don't know if you have a choice in being medicated and going to a ward but if you do, please note that new drug additions may make things worse. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, neurogenesis said:

They give me lorazepam for restlessness,but i think it s causing me severe depresion

You can become dependent on lorazepam in as little as two weeks. If it's not helping, you may want to stop it if you're able to control your drugs while you're on a psych ward. As @Onmyway noted, new drugs may make things worse. Best not to develop a dependency on a drug that will need to be tapered. 

I started lorazepam yesterday.

Most likely the quetiapine isnbt working anymore(no more sedation,extreme restlesnnes,unable to swalow properly the pill)

I came back to ward beacouse my family and me were desperate with how i feel(totally unable to rest) .

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello i ve been given lorazepam for 3 days it made me depressed,i told the staf and they stopped it

Stress went away with it but im depressed will it go away ?

Rehospitalization

@Shep im thinking of stopping everything cold turkey

And let mother nature give me the windows and  unconfortable waves and heal in time

Is this realistic?

doctor stoped the quetiapin cold turkey

And replacing it with clomipramine

Rehospitalization

I had a couple of days taking promethazine witch brings depresion

If i quit everything i pray to god that i will survive untill im getting those windows again and keep surviving

Rehospitalization

@neurogenesis going cold turkey off of all these medicines can be very dangerous. We don't recommend it. Any medicine you've taken for over a month we recommend you taper slowly. What you do is up to you as you will bear the consequences.

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Can any1 recomend me a doctor who knowledgeable in withdrawals

Im trying to stabilize.

Rehospitalization

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Helo

I ve been given

Clomipramine 3 days felt really bad

Prociclydine for a few days 

Mirtazapine for 3 days and it makes me feel bad tension in head

Im just going back to quetiapine beacouse all these changes made me feel worse!

Rehospitalization

Are 3 days of mirtazapin usage enough to cause this bad senzation permanently?

Rehospitalization

• Administrator
On 8/5/2022 at 4:37 AM, neurogenesis said:

Helo

I ve been given

Clomipramine 3 days felt really bad

Prociclydine for a few days 

Mirtazapine for 3 days and it makes me feel bad tension in head

Im just going back to quetiapine beacouse all these changes made me feel worse!

This is quite the cocktail, and could make anyone feel worse.

Sorry, this is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. As peer counselors, we cannot help if you keep changing drugs. Please talk to your doctors about drug changes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Neurogenesis - 

As I watch you going on and off, in and out of hospital - I think that if you can avoid extra drugs and stick to the quetiapine, you have a chance.  If, however, you are on a merry-go-round of take this, stop that, take that, stop this - you will get into trouble, and likely make things worse.

What is important to understanding quetiapine, is that it is not just one drug.  It hits on several receptors, depending on dose.

So while you were playing with a little here, a little there - splitting dose, etc. - you were messing with an antihistamine, an antidepressant and a neuroleptic ("antipsychotic").

At lowest doses (25-50) seroquel is like an antihistamine - making drowsy.

But like a champagne fountain, as it fills up the bottom (the histamine level) it starts to work on antidepressant features (Serotonin).

And at the top of the fountain - doses over 100 mg, it starts to work on dopamine receptors ("antipsychotic")

So by jumping up and down in dose, splitting doses, taking them irregularly, you have been destabilising all of these systems.  

I know you are in hospital now so there is not much you can do. 

But you can read more about how your drug works.  This guy is cynical and sarcastic - but it is where I learned about the champagne fountain:
http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/02/how_seroquel_xr_works_part_1.html

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/02/how_seroquel_xr_works_part_2.html

https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/03/swallow_this_how_seroquel_xr_w.html

You need to get off the drug merry-go-round.  Stick to ONE medication if at all possible, and work on stabilising on that.  When you are stable that's when you can start talking about tapering.

You haven't been on the same dose for months now.  When you get out of hospital, choose a regime and stick to it.  For at least 3 months! before making any changes.

These drugs are not like aspirin - they make changes in your neurotransmitters.  When you stop taking an aspirin, you pee it out, and it goes out of your system = done.  But psych drugs make changes, and even after the drug is gone, the changes are still there.

I reckon humans are too stupid to really understand what we are doing to the neurotransmitters - so the best solution is to stop fiddling them.  Reduce fiddling as much as possible.  Go for stable.

3 KIS's Keep It Simple, Slow, Stable

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...

Im unable to swalow pill

I tried lorazepam and when i swalow it as a whole tablet it never worked

When i suck it under my tongue it helped

And i always feel the pills in my throat 

That is how quetiapin stoped working 

Rehospitalization

• Administrator

Are you planning to taper your drugs? Please let us know how we may help.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Im planning to request for liquid form of quetiapine

Im sufering waves

I learned from quetiapine that it just stoped working as pill form beacouse the pill dosen t reach stomach so it s causing only problems(withdrawal)

I learned from a benzo med lorazepam that when i swalow tablet as a whole it dosen t work(it did helped when i sucked it ) so im convinced that i m in need of this liquid form of quetiapin if i am to stabilize

I do not plan on tapering ,i want to stabilize

Rehospitalization

• Administrator

Stabilizing means not changing your drugs for a while. Please read what @JanCarol wrote for you.

We're not able to assist you in stabilizing on a maintenance regimen.

Please let us know when you want to taper.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello i just started on liquid quetiapin

Hoping things will setle down for me

They will give me it to me twice daily

Im also on promethazine beacouse it helps a litle

I feel horible and i accepted my death couse it feels really  bad

Rehospitalization

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I found out what worked for me but they don t wanna prescribe it

It s quetiapine serrtraline and lorazepam (it s mandatory to chew the lorazepam otherwise it dosennt work!)

Rehospitalization

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Iiquid quetiapine is not working at all for me

I feel depresion and restless 

All i know is that taking quetiapine sertraline and chewing lorazepam worked for me ,it made me well ,but the doctor won t allow me to have the lorazepam

im into a ward where they refuse to prescribe me any kind of benzo

What can i do to get this lorazepam?

Can any1 recomend a doctor that would prescribe it?

Rehospitalization

• Administrator

Sorry, we're not able to assist you in stabilizing on a maintenance regimen. Please talk to your prescriber.

• 1 month later...

Hello in september i was stabilized for 5 days on quetiapim sertraline and lorazepam

Will they work again if i tried diferent meds meanwhile?

Since then i tried

Flupenthixol injection 60mg 2 weeks

Liquid quetiapin 300mg 6weeks

Promethazine 

They didn t want to prescribe me lorazepam in the ward im curently in

And i wish to try again quetiapin sertralin and lorazepam from somewhere else to see if it s working again

The lorazepam made everything work in the fourth day after taking sertralin

Rehospitalization

• Administrator

I'm sorry that you're still in a quandary with drugs. 

We provide peer support for tapering, but you'd have to be stable, in control of your drugs, and ready to do the work. Please let us know when you're in a position to taper off them.

• 7 months later...

Hello

Im neurogenesis

Can i get my old account back

So that people here know my background? 

Rehospitalization

My quetiapine literaly stoped working since the day it produced swalowing anomaly. And no pill will wodk with this conditin. They all behave aberated. Produce aberated effect. 

Lorazepam solid swalow produced anomaly in throat therefore it did not worked

Melt in moutj melt lorazepam did not produced anomaly in throat and therefore it worked

Rehospitalization

This condition is called dysphagia or phagia? 

It was trigered by reducing quetiapin

Quetiapin stoped working since firat day i encoubtered solid swalowing anomaly produced when swalowing pill. I think quetiapine is not ment to work as crushed. And solid swalow is imposible it trigers anomaly in throat. Therefore it will produce aberated efect

And the condition is trigered when swalowing unchewed solids no mater how smal terefore pill will cause aberated effect. 

Rehospitalization

It s dangerous condition beacouae it s not giving me acces to work with med such as solid pills

I need my normal throat back

I also swalowed a foreign object cobtaining quetiapin and it triggered something in my inside throat.. Im looking for someone who can help me get my normal throat back and normal swalowing back. 

Rehospitalization

It was a mistake to go to a psych ward with a anomaly in throat that orevent any pill solid form drug from working

Rehospitalization