SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Komp

• Administrator

We might know if you answered our questions. Did your anxiety get worse after you went off Ativan?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes my anxiety got worse after I went off of Ativan. 

2001 - Effexor XR - 75 mg 7/20/2021 - Prozac - 60 mg 5/12/2021 -  Cymbalta 

7/28/2021 -  Lexapro9/1/2021 -  lamotrigine  1/4/2022 - Prozac, Ativan 1 mg and Remeron 7.5mg 4/25/22 - Lexapro and Ativan 1 mg 9/11/22 - 50 mg PRISTIQ 11/15/22 400 mg gabapentin 11/27/22 off .25 mg Ativan (1 mg for a year)1/6/ 23 Busbar 5 mg 2x daily 

Any comment on my Ativan answer. Sorry I did not see your question until last night. Becky

7/28/2021 -  Lexapro9/1/2021 -  lamotrigine  1/4/2022 - Prozac, Ativan 1 mg and Remeron 7.5mg 4/25/22 - Lexapro and Ativan 1 mg 9/11/22 - 50 mg PRISTIQ 11/15/22 400 mg gabapentin 11/27/22 off .25 mg Ativan (1 mg for a year)1/6/ 23 Busbar 5 mg 2x daily 

• Administrator

Now you have benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome from going off Ativan.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Why are drs not acknowledging the fact that there is such a thing as Benzo WD?

• Moderator Emeritus

I did a short taper of 2 weeks to go off of Ativan from 1 mg down to .25mg My dr felt that I was on a low dose and could just go off from 1 mg daily for a year. So, it’s been 6 weeks since I went off. My anxiety has increased. Is this WD after 6 weeks?

@Komp You reported your own post and asked the above question.

Yes, you can have withdrawal after 6 weeks. As Alto wrote:

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Now you have benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome from going off Ativan.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Komp,

I'm going to move your most recent post in "Reports" back to your thread.

I did a short taper of 2 weeks to go off of Ativan from 1 mg down to .25mg My dr felt that I was on a low dose and could just go off from 1 mg daily for a year. So, it’s been 6 weeks since I went off. My anxiety has increased. Is this WD after 6 weeks?

And I am sorry, and I am also certain this is WD, yes......from the Ativan.

And then we don't treat benzo WD with drugs here, if that is what you are looking for.  I mean you say the Pristiq is not working for your anxiety.......it does sound like you expect us to lead you to another drug solution.

We are a site for tapering and WD. 

Why don't you do a day of daily drug and symptom logs for us now?   Ideally 3 days done, and then posted can be really helpful. It's simple, and may help us to further advise.  We can then see what is happening before and after you take your drugs.  And then it's important to see if there are consistent symptoms occurring before or after you take your drugs.

And also decide soon if you are wanting to taper and possibly someday be off drugs.  If that is not the case, then you would need to just keep on going with your doctor, or doctors now, and let them prescribe and manage your drug mishaps.

The daily drug and symptom log, or Notes:

Recording drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

and then there is a quote box in the first post above, which will show you exactly how we'd like you to post your notes when you have a couple of days worth

And then......Alto may be able to ascertain if a suggested drug change, with your current combination might help.

Don't use reports please to post information that best goes right here.  We ask that members use reports, only if concerned about another members posting or misbehavior.  Not for general information that should go into your topic.  This is your topic.  Right here.

I am assuming you are in tough symptoms right now.  Benzo WD can be fierce.  And your present drug combination could be causing you side effects or adverse effects too.  Do you have any non-drug coping that helps you now?  Relaxation practices?

Do the Notes.  Please.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

And looks like Shep caught your report too.

Do try and do some Notes please and thank you.

Edited by manymoretodays
mistakes.....fixed, grammar, spelling

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Komp,

I'm going to move your most recent post in "Reports" back to your thread.

And I am sorry, and I am also certain this is WD, yes......from the Ativan.

And then we don't treat benzo WD with drugs here, if that is what you are looking for.  I mean you say the Pristiq is not working for your anxiety.......it does sound like you expect us to lead you to another drug solution.

We are a site for tapering and WD. 

Why don't you do a day of daily drug and symptom logs for us now?   Ideally 3 days done, and then posted can be really helpful. It's simple, and may help us to further advise.  We can then see what is happening before and after you take your drugs.  And then it's important to see if there are consistent symptoms occurring before or after you take your drugs.

And also decide soon if you are wanting to taper and possibly someday be off drugs.  If that is not the case, then you would need to just keep on going with your doctor, or doctors now, and let them prescribe and manage your drug mishaps.

The daily drug and symptom log, or Notes:

Recording drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

and then there is a quote box in the first post above, which will show you exactly how we'd like you to post your notes when you have a couple of days worth

And then......Alto may be able to ascertain if a suggested drug change, with your current combination might help.

Don't use reports please to post information that best goes right here.  We ask that members use reports, only if concerned about another members posting or misbehavior.  Not for general information that should go into your topic.  This is your topic.  Right here.

I am assuming you are in tough symptoms right now.  Benzo WD can be fierce.  And your present drug combination could be causing you side effects or adverse effects too.  Do you have any non-drug coping that helps you now?  Relaxation practices?

Do the Notes.  Please.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

And looks like Shep caught your report too.

Do try and do some Notes please and thank you.

1 hour ago, Shep said:

@Komp You reported your own post and asked the above question.

Yes, you can have withdrawal after 6 weeks. As Alto wrote:

Just now, Komp said:

Is this where I write a response?

anxiety and heart rate

7 am - Ensure Protein Drink with 25 mg Pristiq

7:30 am - increase heart rate - 8

8 am - breakfast with 200 mg Gabapentin and 5 mg buspirone ( new)

increased anxiety and heart rate - 10

9:30 am - 20 min walk outdoors - less anxiety 7

10:30 am - yogurt with blueberries

12:00 - lunch - 25 mg Pristiq and 200 mg gabapentin 

3:00 - snack - apple with string cheese

reduced anxiety - 5

5:00 - dinner - 5,000 iu vitamin D3, 500mg metformin, 5mg Lisinopril,  10 mg  atorvastatin, multi vitamin and 5 mg buspirone. 

Less anxiety after dinner until bedtime - low resting heart rate. 3
9:30 pm - 200 mg Gabapentin 

10:00 pm - 6:30 am - sleeping

do not wake up 

6:30 am- wake up with a great amount of anxiety in stomach and Brain activity- 10

Edited by manymoretodays
merged from tapering forum

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Komp,  @Komp

Yes, responses go right here. 

You'll see your day 1 of Notes above now too.  I just moved it from that topic here.

Next.  Add a date to the top.  And post another day as well.

Once you have 3 or more days done we might be able to get some further input from Alto.

Post them here.  In this topic.  YOUR topic. Then we don't need to jump around the site to find your information.

Post to me right here please.

I spy a couple PM's sent to me, I am trying to give you assistance on how this site works right here.  And how to post.  Right here in your topic.

Again, long term are you content to just stay medicated/drugged?  You didn't answer that.  AND it looks like you added a new drug too, Buspar.  Please add that to your signature.  Scroll up in this topic too, and re read if needed, and likely you'll also find instructions on how to update your signature too.

Did you check Drugs.com before adding yet another drug?  Check the drug and check the interactions too.

Would you do that with your present drug load now please?

Drug Interactions Checker, Drugs.com

I left it blank for you to do.  Then please link us to the results or copy and paste.  Thank you.

I really need to see you trying and wanting more from us than being some kind of prescriber assistants for you.  I mean if you want drugs and have no interest in being drug free or working towards that someday.........you waste our time.  And also put us in a position we don't want to be.......that being your doctor's assistant.  They get paid plenty to manage you and your drugs.

We are peers Komp, who have been harmed, and who have had to figure things out to get ourselves into healing and better health.  No doctors assistants for no pay at all.  We volunteer our time......willingly to help those who do have an interest in going drug free someday and who feel empowered enough to learn more about what has happened to them and take responsibility for themselves as well.

I don't want to foster any more dependence in you now.  I do want to see you succeed however, what ever your goals might be beyond immediate goals.

Again, we are a site to help people taper, if that is their wish.  Not your instant medication management advisors.  Okay?  Just hear me on that.  Thanks.

Okay.  So.  In summary.

What are your intentions please......beyond immediate relief of your current symtoms?  I see anxiety and sometimes heart palpitations.

Yes, for now post your responses and daily drug and symptom logs here(Notes).  Please date them.

I'd like to see 3 consecutive days.

Do your drug interactions check.  Get all your drugs in there please.  Then post a link to those results, or copy and paste the results.  If problems doing so, post that here.  And I'd be happy to help.

Anxiety......ayup, it can be fierce in WD(withdrawal).  And you just did a very fast taper off a years usage of Ativan I believe.  Many here trying to cope with similar symptoms.  Try non-drug coping as much as possible.
Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety or sensory overload from withdrawal

Here at Surviving Antidepressants, we recommend that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose, with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  This goes for benzo's as well as antidepressants(AD's), and antipsychotics(AP's)

And then I am seeing a drug history of at least 10 years now, in your present signature.  Some of these links may help you understand what has happened from the drugs, as well as what happens when WD(withdrawal) sets in):

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal.  It is excellent that you are sleeping now.  That may prove to be really healing.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Do not make any drug or supplement changes right now though.  Generally just one change at any time is advised. 

The rule of 3 KI's: ;Simple, stable, and slow

If it was me, and I wanted to get stable and then try to taper my drugs, and eventually get drug free or on the minimal amount of just one drug.........I might even ditch the Buspar at this point.  I might just quit taking it if it had only been a couple days. 

Okay, a ton of information here, and now it is on your page, in your Introduction so you have it.  To read, and peruse as you can.

I gave you assignments and also asked you a question.  So do attend to those.  Thank you.

And best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
notification

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello again.

And.  Good first try at Notes Komp.  Thank you.  It was.

Some tips as you continue them, if you do decide to stay here and are a good fit for survivingantidepressants.org.

I like how you rated your anxiety.

With the next set, as well as adding the date at the top.  Tell us more about this symptom you call anxiety when it occurs.  Do this in the notes.  After the time, describe your symptom "anxiety" a little bit more.  Are you shaky, short of breath?  You mention palpitations.  Do you start feeling panicky, or paralyzed, or worried, or agitated........  Give us a feel for what a 10 is like.  You'll likely have to fill it in after the experience of course.

Alright.

Sending healing vibes.  And hugs.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

And again hello.  Do scroll up Komp.  This is the 3rd reply from me today.

The second PM you sent I will copy over here.  In case other members have ideas for you too.

You may want to get another doctor even, if your doctor doesn't seem to understand or be real helpful now.

That's a whole other topic.

From Komp:

Sorry if I’m not replying on the right links. I am not trying to get advice on medication changes. I wanted to know if I was going through Ativan W/D. 
How long do these symptoms last based upon going off after 1 year of being on 1 mg daily?  It’s been 6 weeks and I’m not doing well. I can do tracking of my medications for 3 days. Do I download the form?  Thanks. Komp

From mmt:

Have you visited any of the benzo forums yet?

Benzo buddies is one.

Check out the Benzo Information Coalition, based here in the U.S.A.

The UK has benzo.org that offers tons of information too.

I don't know why your doctor doesn't recognize benzo withdrawal.  Many don't.  You are with members here who totally get it.

Thanks for letting me know that you "might" taper someday and did not just want advice on medication changes.  I had asked that again.

Keep doing the notes.  Appreciated.

I'll transfer this conversation to your topic now, before departing it.

Some staff do PM's minimally, others don't.  They are good for member to member support, and for perhaps telling information that you don't wish to be public knowledge or sensitive information.

I’m sorry. I am totally confused with your websites. Becky

Please share your success stories from tapering off Ativan and how long it took to feel ‘normal’ again. Thanks!

6 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hello again.

And.  Good first try at Notes Komp.  Thank you.  It was.

Some tips as you continue them, if you do decide to stay here and are a good fit for survivingantidepressants.org.

I like how you rated your anxiety.

With the next set, as well as adding the date at the top.  Tell us more about this symptom you call anxiety when it occurs.  Do this in the notes.  After the time, describe your symptom "anxiety" a little bit more.  Are you shaky, short of breath?  You mention palpitations.  Do you start feeling panicky, or paralyzed, or worried, or agitated........  Give us a feel for what a 10 is like.  You'll likely have to fill it in after the experience of course.

Alright.

Sending healing vibes.  And hugs.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi!  Thanks for the directions!!

1/7/2023

slept 9 hours woke up with churning stomach and shaky

6:30 am - drank an Ensure with 25mg Pristiq 

7:00 - increase in heart rate and

anxiety 5

8:00 - breakfast - took 200mg gabapentin and 5 mg Buspar

anxiety - 8 - increase heart rate, shaky

12:30 lunch out - took 25mg Pristiq and 200mg Gabapentin 

increase in heart rate and anxiety - shaky - 8

1:30 - shopping - anxiety present - 5

5:00 - dinner - took 1,000 mg metformin, 5mg Lisinopril, 10mg Atorvistan, fish oil, 5,000 iu vitamin D3, multivitamin and 200 mg magnesium. 
after dinner - anxiety feeling - 8 not sure why?

6-9 pm Relaxing - all calm - no anxiety

10 pm - 200 mg Gabapentin 

Bedtime

• Administrator

@Komp, if all you want to know is whether you might have Ativan withdrawal, the answer is yes, most likely you do.

It also appears you have an adverse reaction to Pristiq (increase in heart rate and anxiety after you take a dose). Adding Buspar and gabapentin has not fixed this. If I were you, I'd confer with my prescriber about *reducing* my drug burden, rather than adding drugs to counter the adverse effects of Pristiq.

You don't have to do daily notes any more, we ask for them when people want to figure out how reduce their drugs.

Reducing Pristiq can be complicated, you will need the assistance of a prescriber to write special prescriptions. Please discuss Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) with your doctor.

So, now I am experiencing Ativan discontinuance and the need to taper off of Pristiq.  My dr has already told me that Pristq is hard to get off of. I went off of Effexor XR 2 years ago by bridging with Prozac. I’m going to need extra prayers this time. Thanks for your help. I’m sure I’ll be posting again and again for your continued support. Becky

I was thinking that my anxiety and increase in heart rate was due to Ativan withdrawal. Do you think it’s both WD and the Pristiq? So hard to know. 

• Moderator Emeritus

In order to answer our questions, just scroll to the bottom of the page in your intro thread, which is this thread here.  There is a blank box.  Type your responses in there, and click the blue box below that says "submit reply".  These are instructions for a computer.  

Please try not to start new topics if you are discussing your own personal situation.  Instead, post all your questions and concerns in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of effort.  Perhaps it would be easier if you could bookmark your thread, and use that to get to it each time.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you so much for sharing!

• Administrator

@Komp look at your daily symptom notes. It's obvious the increase in heart rate etc. follows a dose of Pristiq. 

This is why we ask for daily symptom notes, to see what's doing what.

On 1/7/2023 at 1:06 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi Komp,  @Komp

Yes, responses go right here. 

You'll see your day 1 of Notes above now too.  I just moved it from that topic here.

Next.  Add a date to the top.  And post another day as well.

Once you have 3 or more days done we might be able to get some further input from Alto.

Post them here.  In this topic.  YOUR topic. Then we don't need to jump around the site to find your information.

Post to me right here please.

I spy a couple PM's sent to me, I am trying to give you assistance on how this site works right here.  And how to post.  Right here in your topic.

Again, long term are you content to just stay medicated/drugged?  You didn't answer that.  AND it looks like you added a new drug too, Buspar.  Please add that to your signature.  Scroll up in this topic too, and re read if needed, and likely you'll also find instructions on how to update your signature too.

Did you check Drugs.com before adding yet another drug?  Check the drug and check the interactions too.

Would you do that with your present drug load now please?

Drug Interactions Checker, Drugs.com

I left it blank for you to do.  Then please link us to the results or copy and paste.  Thank you.

I really need to see you trying and wanting more from us than being some kind of prescriber assistants for you.  I mean if you want drugs and have no interest in being drug free or working towards that someday.........you waste our time.  And also put us in a position we don't want to be.......that being your doctor's assistant.  They get paid plenty to manage you and your drugs.

We are peers Komp, who have been harmed, and who have had to figure things out to get ourselves into healing and better health.  No doctors assistants for no pay at all.  We volunteer our time......willingly to help those who do have an interest in going drug free someday and who feel empowered enough to learn more about what has happened to them and take responsibility for themselves as well.

I don't want to foster any more dependence in you now.  I do want to see you succeed however, what ever your goals might be beyond immediate goals.

Again, we are a site to help people taper, if that is their wish.  Not your instant medication management advisors.  Okay?  Just hear me on that.  Thanks.

Okay.  So.  In summary.

What are your intentions please......beyond immediate relief of your current symtoms?  I see anxiety and sometimes heart palpitations.

Yes, for now post your responses and daily drug and symptom logs here(Notes).  Please date them.

I'd like to see 3 consecutive days.

Do your drug interactions check.  Get all your drugs in there please.  Then post a link to those results, or copy and paste the results.  If problems doing so, post that here.  And I'd be happy to help.

Anxiety......ayup, it can be fierce in WD(withdrawal).  And you just did a very fast taper off a years usage of Ativan I believe.  Many here trying to cope with similar symptoms.  Try non-drug coping as much as possible.
Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety or sensory overload from withdrawal

Here at Surviving Antidepressants, we recommend that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose, with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  This goes for benzo's as well as antidepressants(AD's), and antipsychotics(AP's)

And then I am seeing a drug history of at least 10 years now, in your present signature.  Some of these links may help you understand what has happened from the drugs, as well as what happens when WD(withdrawal) sets in):

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal.  It is excellent that you are sleeping now.  That may prove to be really healing.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Do not make any drug or supplement changes right now though.  Generally just one change at any time is advised. 

The rule of 3 KI's: ;Simple, stable, and slow

If it was me, and I wanted to get stable and then try to taper my drugs, and eventually get drug free or on the minimal amount of just one drug.........I might even ditch the Buspar at this point.  I might just quit taking it if it had only been a couple days. 

Okay, a ton of information here, and now it is on your page, in your Introduction so you have it.  To read, and peruse as you can.

I gave you assignments and also asked you a question.  So do attend to those.  Thank you.

And best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

How do I know if I’m having withdrawal anxiety or if I’m sensitive to taking Pristiq??  I’m having high anxiety. I need your perspective. Thanks! Komp

• Administrator

Please review this topic from the beginning. We're not going to talk you into reducing Pristiq. If you want to live with the adverse effects of your drugs, that's your choice. Please confer with your doctor, who gets paid to keep you on drugs, that's not our job.

I am questioning the fact that I do not know if I am having withdrawal from Ativan and or having a sensitivity to Pristiq. I do not know if the withdrawal is mostly causing my anxiety. I would like you to help me get off of Pristiq eventually. I am getting very distraught with taking all of my medications. Something’s has to change for me to live a healthy life. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Komp,

Did you get a chance to run an interactions check with all your drugs included in it?

Here is a link to your drug interactions:

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=276-0,441-206,1147-0,1476-0,1573-0,2796-12488

Very likely you will have to create an account there for that many drugs.  Do so. 

You can also look up drugs singularly there before you try them.

I see that the Buspar is not really recommended to be given with Pristiq at all.

Have you continued taking the Buspar?

Are you able to read through the Pristiq tapering topic okay, and are you beginning to understand what a taper would involve? 

Can you ask for a medication review with all your drugs?

Do you have one primary doctor who might help you?

And then would you be able to empower yourself to do a harm reduction taper if your doctor suggests doing it otherwise?

Non drug coping.  Do you have any things that you do to help mitigate anxiety?  Have you done therapy ever in the past that might have helped you learn how to manage anxiety/fears and thinking that has gotten out of control?

Yes.  Something has to give Komp.  And that something might be you......learning about drugs before you take them and learning how to in a harm reduction way to get off of them too.  Do you have a support system?  People on the ground who can help too?

2 hours ago, Komp said:

I am questioning the fact that I do not know if I am having withdrawal from Ativan and or having a sensitivity to Pristiq

Does it matter??  You've been on psychoactives for a long time now, since 2001.  It's not going to be easy Komp to take charge now, but you can do it, if committed.  We don't want to foster further dependence completely.

Okay.  A couple questions above.  I'll try to bold them so you can attend to them.

I want you to acknowledge your drug interactions too.  I don't want you to freak out, I just want you to begin to learn about your drugs.

I want you to look at the Pristiq tapering topic too, and see if that begins to make sense to you.

I wonder why you've continued the Buspar. 

Is it helping anything?

I would like you to look at this topic too:

Before you begin tapering -what you need to know

Sending healing Komp.  And patience.  And understanding.  A couple of hugs too.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Komp, I just wanted to jump in and tell you a bit about my story.

I was always a "weird one," so when the doctors finally said "Bipolar II" in 1998 I believed them (never mind that I was likely kindled from going on and off of antidepressants in a bad marriage).  My method for addressing "bipolar" was:

1. always take meds as prescribed,
  2. eat well, and
  3. sleep well.  I also adapted some behavioural techniques to manage my sleep, diet, exercise.   

I did stints on depakote and lithium to handle the "bipolar" and was terrified to taper off of them, even though they were toxic, and I could tell they were killing me (lithium is toxic to kidneys and liver).  Depakote gave me fine motor tremors...I could list bad effects from every drug I was ever on (I've been on about 2 dozen over the years).

But with the help of SA, here I am, fully drug free.  I still have "moods," but they are not chemical ones, and like moods, they pass.  The "bipolar" label was basically a way of saying I didn't take good care of myself - if I'd realised the power of the daily sun-walk, I would never have been medicated at all.  I also didn't realise how much of my personality was dedicated to stirring up dramas - the dramas were a way of putting me front and centre, to feel important - but they always made things (like that marriage) worse.

And now I see those drugs as another form of "drama."  They reduced my empathy, and I still had moods.  In 2012, I read Robert Whitaker's excellent, "Anatomy of an Epidemic."  I was just reading - medical history, but the scales fell from my eyes and I realised that this "antidepressant" and "psych drug" business was a scam.  Yes, these drugs alter you - but is the alteration really for the better?  I decided that I was experienced at "being depressed" and miserable, and that I could be miserable without the drugs, if that's what it took.  And yet - with the drugs gone - I am far less miserable now.

At the same time, I had a medication review from a consulting pharmacist.  She immediately took me off the PPI (stomach acid drug) and - amazing, I felt better.  With her suggestion, I felt empowered to begin.  The first drug I removed was the statin, which was making me tired, painful, and heavy.  That helped with my "depression."

Through "Anatomy of an Epidemic," I found Surviving Antidepressants in the help section at the back.  I was terrified - what if I went stark raving mad when I quit the lithium?  I've been stark raving before, and my husband has never seen it (though he has tasted a bit of the "dramas" I used to generate).  What if I ruined everything that I had come to Australia to build?  Carefully, carefully, I started tapering with the reluctant blessing of my psychiatrist.  She said, "OK, I can see you're going to do this whether I approve or not, so let's put some safeguards in place."  She started me taking the sun-walks (just 5-10 minutes a day, exposure to sunlight, fresh air, and seeing the horizon, coupled with the tick-tock of walking to balance my brain.  She brought in my husband, so that he knew what to look for and had a plan of action if I went stark raving again.

But using the SA technique of reducing 10% of previous dose per month - I snuck out from under the drugs.  I was on 3 drugs when I started at SA:  Seroquel, Lithium and Dothep (a really lame SNRI).  Sometimes I had to stop the antidepressant taper to reduce the lithium, because the lithium was killing me.  It took 3 years all up, but I will never go back.

Your diagnosis of "bipolar" is likely diagnonsense - a judgement from a practitioner who sees you in distress, and really believes in his drugs.

I no longer believe in the drugs, and while I believe there are rare "mental disorders," I believe that 90% of diagnoses handed out are diagnonsense.

Hubby calling me to tea - so please - See the Sun Today!

JC

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you for taking time to write to me. It all makes sense. I’m overwhelmed by all the good information. My brain is hurting for change. Komp

• 2 weeks later...

Going to taper off gabapentin. Please send information on how to do this. 
Thanks!

• Administrator

Tips for tapering off gabapentin (Neurontin)

See this topic for tips about tapering most psychiatric drugs: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Komp - Why did you choose Gabapentin?  It actually might "hold" you a bit as you taper the more activating drugs.  Or, if you do taper it (if it were me) - I'd get it down, but stay at a low dose (say 50-100 mg) while tapering the antidepressants.

I am having a little trouble - maybe it's me - understanding which drugs you are currently on.  Is that the whole last paragraph?  Or are some of those drugs superceded by the drugs coming after?

Anyhow - have a read of this, and make sure that it's gabapentin that you want to start tapering with:

Polydrugs? Taper off the Antidepressant First!

I hope you see the sun today!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Your signature:

This does not tell me how much Lexapro & lamotrigine, you are on.  Did you stop the Prozac?  Or is that still in the mix?  Are you still on Lexapro *and* Prozac *and* Pristiq? 

How about a section that says:  CURRENTLY ON

Drug - dose - x daily

Next drug - dose - x daily

Thanks for clarifying,

JC

• 1 month later...

Gabapentin Taper

I am currently tapering off if Gabapentin. Not sure where to find the information on tapering. Please advise. 

Edited by Shep
added title after merging from another thread

• Moderator Emeritus

@Komp Please note I moved your last post off the Tapering forum. Please continue to post here in your introduction thread so all your information is in one place.

Your question on Gabapentin tapering was already answered by Alto - see her last post on your thread. 

Why are you tapering off Gabapentin now? Are you still taking Pristiq, Lexapro, Ativan, and / or Busbar? 

On 1/20/2023 at 11:45 PM, JanCarol said:

Anyhow - have a read of this, and make sure that it's gabapentin that you want to start tapering with:

Polydrugs? Taper off the Antidepressant First!

If you're still taking stimulating antidepressants, you may wish to come off of those first before the sedating drugs. This is why JanCarol posted this question earlier in your thread. Please read the first post in the link - Polydrugs? Taper off the Antidepressant First!