amjad: tapering mirtazapine by liquid prep

amjad

Had anyone tried tapering with liquid prep and making solution . One of the member had suggested following method which can taper 30 mg over 10 month safely (discarding 1 ml of 30/300 solution  and adding 1 ml each day;  Any one had any experience of using dilution method:  hi Amjad, 1)I weigh 299g of water in a cup 2) I dissolve the 30mg soltab version of mirt in the water. there will be white bits at the bottom of the cup which cannot dissolve. 3) then top up water if necessary using a 1ml syringe, see the weight is 300g on weighing scale 4) to taper at 10% per month of a 15mg tablet, remove 1g of water on day 1 and drink the balance, 2g of water on day 2 and drink the balance , 3g of water on day 3 and drink the balance and on on. So at the end of 1 month u will have removed 30g of water which is 30g/300g = 10%. At this rate, you will be able to taper off completely in 10 months. 5) for me after I tried removing 1g of solution and I didn't experience any withdrawals for a few days I increased the rate of removing at increment of 3g of solution per day to 5g per day. It really depends how your body will respond to the rate. Supplement with 420mg of magnesium glycinate during taper. i also did exercise 30 mins a day. After I am well I didn't need to exercise anymore. Hope it helps I had cut and paste as follow:

• ChessieCat changed the title to amjad: tapering Mirtazapine by Liquid Prep
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi amjad and welcome to SA,

It is really good to see that you are tapering your drug.  What rate of taper are you doing?  SA's recommended tapering protocol is to reduce by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How is your sleep?

Have you been experiencing any withdrawal symptoms?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Please create your drug signature.  Whenever you make a change, please update it so it remains current. Please follow these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

There are many existing topics on SA.  You can use the site search function, but I prefer to use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.  If you cannot find what you are look for, then try to think of a different search term.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

You sent me PM about whether tapering using a liquid is safe.  I will answer here in your topic.

The information is available in Post #1 of the Tips for Tapering Remeron topic.  See:

On 4/11/2012 at 10:07 AM, Altostrata said:

Make your own liquid from a tablet

To taper, many people make liquids from mirtazapine tablets themselves. While water solubility of mirtazapine is "slight" according to http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00370 you can make a suspension of it yourself with a tablet and water or a pharmaceutical liquid such as Ora-Plus. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

On 2/10/2021 at 4:30 AM, Nomansland said:

I found some german documents that state that the normal mirtazapine/remeron tablets can be made into a suspension ("normally" for patients who are not able to swallow and need a stomach probe). So i will just share these documents with you.

(to see the links to the documents mentioned, click on the gray arrow in the upper left of the quote.)

Refrigerate the DIY suspension for up to 5 days, then discard.

@Nomansland You are making your own liquid, aren't you?  Would you mind posting to let amjad know how you do this and that this method works for you.  Thank you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hello @amjad and @ChessieCat,

currently i do not make make my own liquid, but i know quite a few people from this and the german taper forum, who have tapered Mirtazapine succesfully only with water

(without a suspension agent like OraPlus or Maple Syrup).

Everyone reacts different, but basically you drop your tablet in a known amount of water and wait 10-20 minutes till it disintegrate. Then you gently swirl or shake everything

around, so that everything in the water is evenly distributed. Immediately after that you draw up what you dont need (or what you need) with a syringe/pipette and discard it

(or take it). Important thing is to always do it the same way and dont forget to shake/swirl it gently everytime before you dose.

300 ml of water for 30 mg of mirtazapine is a good start. Each 1ml of water will give you 0.1 mg of mirtazapine, it should give you good control of your dose. Because you want

to use the soltab version to make your liquid, iam not sure how long your selfmade liquid can be stored. I think SA recommends 7 days maximum in the fridge, but i would be more cautious with the soltabs.

Also be aware that the reductions should get smaller the lower you get, because you will calculate the reduction of (maximum) 10 % from your current dose in your taper and not your starting dose.

You could look into @Hopefull thread, maybe you will get informations about how long it can be stored. She/He tapered with mirtazapine soltabs. Here you can find a post where she/he describes

the method.

If you have more question, iam sure there will always be someone here to answer it. Take tapering seriously, listen to your body (slow down or hold if you need to) and never taper more than 10 % a month.

It will take some time, but with this in mind you will surely be succesfull in the end.

Greetings

Nomansland

2022 IMPORTANT WITHDRAWAL SURVEY, PLEASE PARTICIPATE: https://uelpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0AR9IsQ61jsiXBk

non-native speaker of english

2020: 3-March -> started Mirtazapine 15mg;

3-March to 6-April -> approx. cutting to 0 mg; 6-April to 20-April -> ~ 7,5 mg; 21-April to 31-April -> 15 mg; 1-May to 13-May -> ~ 10 mg (approx.); 15-May to 19-July -> 15 mg (psychosomatic clinic) 19-July -> started taper (scale and file) 14 mg (-6,6%); 08-August -> 12 mg (-14,3 %); 27-August -> 10 mg (-16,6 %); 15-September -> 8 mg (-20 %, bad idea, heavy WD); 23-September -> 10.2 mg (+20 %, 102 mgpw)

2021: 12-April to 12-May -> crossover from solid pill to DIY liquid (water only), 10.2 mg, not stable; 10-September -> back to crushing and weighing, still 10.2 mg (102 mgpw)

2022: 13-March -> changed to DIY liquid with suspension vehicle, 10.2 mg

Supplements: 1 x ~125 mg magnesiumbiglycinate before bed, low histamine diet

Micro tapering Mirtazepine

I had seen the video about micrptapering Diazepam (Valium) on you tube . 

Following is the link for Excell Scedule for micro tapering :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wh0e6yeatipy5di/Liquid Titration Spreadsheet.xlsx?dl=0

I had started dilting 30 mg liquid Prep = 2ml into 300 ml of water and discarding 1 ml=0.1 ml  every day with increas of 1 m=0.1 mg every day

Is it Safer to follow above tapering (Micro tapering) plan for Mirtazepine as is done above for Diazepam?

Do anyone know how long the dilution solution made by adding 2 ml= 30 mg Mirtaz   into 300 ml of water can last (in refrigiraor) 

Thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic and spacing
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have moved your new topic to this one:

tips-for-tapering-off-mirtazapine-remeron

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @amjad

I merged your new introduction topic with your old one. SA works differently to many other forums.  Each member has their own Introduction topic (only one).  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions specific to your own situation and where you can journal your progress. This keeps your history in one place and means that you do not have to repeat your story.

Some people do better with microtapering than cut and hold if they are very sensitive to reductions. You still calculate a max 10% reduction but spread it over one month, not all at once. The tapering schedule needs to be adjusted for your individual tolerance for tapering.

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases
Decreasing your dosage by very tiny amounts more often might be more tolerable than 5% or 10% decreases. Know your symptom pattern first so you can estimate how often you can reduce.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

One way you can micro-taper.

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Please create a drug signature as previously requested:

How to List Drug History in Signature

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2020 at 12:08 AM, ChessieCat said:

https://www.drugs.com/imprints/apo-mi-30-11632.html

I suggest that you do a search for other members tapering mirtazapine and check out how they are getting their doses.

Use this as your search term in a search engine:  site:survivingantidepressants.org mirtazapine remeron mirt mirtazipine

On 10/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, Altostrata said:

People do just fine making a suspension with Remeron and water -- see the first post in this topic.

I am microtapering Mirtaz by reducing 0.1 mg everyday using Liquid Prep .  Has anyone used microtapering as I was told it is more gently on Brain.  I managed to raech upto 17 from 30 over 4 mo .   Plaese advise if any one else had used this method and if microotapering is safe 

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 5/2/2017 at 12:37 AM, Pokey said:

I'm tapering off Mirtazapine still. I'm at 11.25mg. I was at 30mg. I feel weak and tired a lot. Low energy. Makes me think I must have something seriously wrong, thinking surely it can't be the Mirt I ask, but no other cause for the fatigue and malaise is presenting itself. Above I said I was not gaining any weight, well that has certainly changed.  I have gained weight. I'm 15 lbs heavier than usual. Got to get off this stuff. The fatigue & malaise sucks the marrow out of my bones. Can anyone else relate to these symptoms? I figure I should be off towards the end of summer. 

Pokey

HI Is microtaperin by reducing 0.1 mg every day better than Cut and hold for tapering mirtazepanm

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, amjad said:

HI Is microtaperin by reducing 0.1 mg every day better than Cut and hold for tapering mirtazepanm

There is no better/best way or perfect way to taper.  You need to find what works for you.

The idea of tapering (with any method) is to keep the withdrawal symptoms (and not make another reduction unless you are stable) to a minimum so that you can live your life as normally as possible.

I think that a problem with making a reduction every day is that you might not realise that you are starting to get withdrawal symptoms and you keep tapering anyway until one day, all of a sudden, the withdrawal symptoms get worse.

Have you seen this method?  You can choose the taper rate you prefer and can hold for longer at any time during the taper cycle.  I think this method would give you more control over your taper than the reducing every day method.

he-brassmonkey-slide-method-of-micro-tapering

• Administrator

Please post questions about your taper in your own Introductions topic. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @amjad, how are you doing?

• ChessieCat changed the title to amjad: tapering mirtazapine by liquid prep