Teta: Trying to taper off Lamotrigine and Vortioxetine

Teta

I am a 32-year old female and have been on anti-depressants since I was 14. I have had diagnoses of Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar 2, Depression and Cyclothymia. I have been on Venlor, Wellbutrin, Citalopram, Prozac and a few others over the years. The only thing that seemed to improve my depression and mood swings was to introduce Lamotrigine (a mood stabiliser). I am currently on Lamotrigine (200mg) & Vortioxetine (10mg). I am eating healthily, exercising regularly and sleeping well. I would like to come off my medication to have a child but I am concerned of the effects, due to having been on medication for so many years and being in a very demanding job (will I even be able to?). I have been stable for a few months and had a depressive episode earlier this year after the death of a family member. 

I have done a lot of research and understand that it may work to taper off the antidepressant before the mood stabiliser but has anyone had experience with tapering off these 2 drugs Lamotrigine (200mg) & Vortioxetine (10mg)? My psychiatrist says that tapering can be done in a month but this sounds crazy given the time I’ve been on them, I was thinking micro-tapering would be better. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Teta: Trying to taper off Lamotrigine and Vortioxetine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Teta and welcome to SA,

I am really pleased that you found SA before you started following your doctor's suggested taper rate.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off vortioxetine (Trintellix, previously called Brintellix)

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?
If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug).

Please create your drug signature.  Whenever you make a change, please update it so it remains current. Please follow these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

There are many existing topics on SA.  You can use the site search function, but I prefer to use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.  If you cannot find what you are look for, then try to think of a different search term.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Teta,

I removed your name from your signature.  SA recommends that members remain anonymous.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 years later...

I took 2 years to taper off 200mg of Lamotrigine and 10mg of Brintellix (Vortioxetine). I was on anti-depressants for 18 years and the mood stabilisers for 11 years. I’ve been off both meds for 9 months now and received a diagnosis of inattentive ADHD. My therapist thinks I also have ASD (together with the ADHD). I’ve noticed a massive decline in my ability to focus and handle stress since stopping meds which affects my career. Has anyone experienced the same thing and, if so, are there any coping mechanisms that you would advise? Does it get better or is there a possibility that my meds were masking my diagnosis?

• Administrator

Welcome back, @Teta

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist.

Your drug signature will show us how quickly you tapered and how small your final doses were.

Did you end up tapering as per the guidance given by ChessieCat? Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

50 minutes ago, Teta said:

I’ve noticed a massive decline in my ability to focus and handle stress since stopping meds which affects my career.

If you went faster than the 10%, or stopped at too high a dose, I'd expect what you are experiencing is WD symptoms. Can you relate to anything on this list? Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

50 minutes ago, Teta said:

are there any coping mechanisms that you would advise?

Have you read these links:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Have you been using any of these supplements:

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Are you drinking alcohol at all?

51 minutes ago, Teta said:

Does it get better

It takes time and patience to recover from WD symptoms.

Once you add your drug signature, we will try to assist further.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg,