Kitkatmeow18

Hello everyone, I hope I am making this correctly.

Im 30 years old, have been on Celexa since ~2007 for depression.

Please bear with me as my memory is HORRIBLE and I don't know how accurate my information will be.

Initial dose was 10mg(I believe), was told it would be for a short period of time and then I would go off them.

Doctor increased in time to 20mg, this worked for many years.

At some point I felt I was having issues and my doctor put me up to 40mg.

Unsuccessfully tried to go off with doctors orders a few times.

I have a new doctor & also a therapist(this is new to me). My new doctor wanted to put me on a different medication and prescribed me wellbutrin suggested tapering off 40mg to 20mg, 20mg for a week, 10mg for a week, then nothing for a week and start new meds. I had horrible symptoms after 2 days on 20mg. My therapist told me that was way too fast so went to 30mg, i did that until I stopped having brain zaps about 2 weeks, then the same for 20mg about 2 weeks, and then I think I did 3 weeks on 10mg.

i felt okay on 10mg and wasnt sure if I needed to go on a different med (have heard wellbutrin is bad if you have anxiety already). My therapist suggested I go to 0mg for a while to get a "baseline" of how I feel if u need meds or not.

Have had 0mg for 2 or 3 weeks and was fine until December 23 when I started to feel extremely sore, headache that wouldn't go away and dizzy. Dec 24th - 28th was even worse with dizziness that I couldn't barely do anything (pretty much missed Christmas) but also crazy sad and anxious for no reason.

December 29th started with brain zaps on top of everything else.

I made a post on reddit about it and was told by a fellow celexa user that this website really helped them and they had tapered too fast and had withdrawal issues for 8 months before going back on celexa and is half way through a 2 year taper down the right way.

I am a bit stubborn and have fought not wanting to go back on celexa, but I'm starting to think I should and try tapering again much slower. 

Sorry my post was so long

Edited by Karma
Name update

~2007 - December 2021 celexa (started at 10mg and increased over time to 40mg) 

Late October 2021 started taper from 40mg to 0mg

On fence about reinstating due to withdrawal symptoms 

Jan 1 2022 couldn't handle withdrawal symptoms and reinstated at 10mg 

• ChessieCat changed the title to REAL NAME?
  • Karma changed the title to Kitkatmeow18: Celexa fast taper

Hello @Kitkatmeow18

welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. I am really glad that you found us and hope we can help you get through this difficult ordeal. Thank you for creating and updating your signature, it gives us a quick look at your case so we can make the best recommendation. 

I see that you have reinstated at 10mg. How is that going? It would be helpful if you tracked your symptoms so you can how you are reacting to the changes. This is a helpful thread to help you do that. 

Recording drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Have you seen this thread? It might be helpful to read through it and see what to do. About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants 

In general we recommend reinstating at a lower dosage but if 10mg works, that would be great too. Our goal is stability. If it doesn't work, however, or creates worse symptoms, we would recommend lowering to 1-2 mg so if you have immediate adverse effects (which happens occasionally), don't panic. Hopefully, this reinstatement will bring you some stability and you can taper from 10mg down. But before starting to taper we advise that you do not change your dosage for a few months to gain some stability. I'm including the tapering links as well for later. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Fear not, this will get better. But it might take a while to get there. These links here might help understand what is happening and give you some hope. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

In the meantime, we recommend not taking other psychoactive substances such as alcohol, pot, other drugs as our systems are quite sensitive and they may impact our nervous systems badly. We do recommend two supplements - magnesium and Omega-3. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants 

Also have a look at the success stories thread. 

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal - Surviving Antidepressants

Hope you get some respite soon and please reach out if you would like more advice. If you tag me @Onmyway, I will try to help to the best of my abilities. 

A warm welcome to SA!

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

@OnmywayThank you so much, I'm only one day in on 10 mg so we shall see. I will continue to track my symptoms and see if there is improvement or if I have a bad reaction to 10mg and will lower down if needed.

It took me a long time to fall asleep last night after taking my 1st reinstatement dose of 10mg- mostly because I was sad and crying and on edge of panic. I felt a bit like a failure having to go back on the meds which is why I was sad and crying. The anxiety could be from withdrawal symptoms still and/or being afraid of how I will respond to reinstating the drug.

I woke up today with a bit of chest pain, which is causing me a bit of anxiety (I have health anxiety) so the anxiety is making the pain a bit worse. I'm not sure if this is related to reinstating or if it's another symptom of withdrawal still happening. 

Hi @Kitkatmeow18

there is no reason to beat yourself up for having to go back to the drug. It is not something over which anyone has control, it is a physiological dependence, doesn't say anything about your will power or weakness etc. Your body is suffering. There is no heroism in enduring difficulty when there is a better option. Sometimes there is no better option and then we suffer and we get through it. Hopefully, in your case reinstatement will work. It will take some time for the drug to reach steady state in your body and feel the full effect. It seems like you don't have severe immediate adverse effects. That is good. If things get worse, we can go to a lower dosage and try that. Keeping fingers crossed. 

If you have health anxiety, it might help to have pre-determined criteria for how bad a specific symptom is evaluated as - i.e. if I am anxious for every hour that I am awake and can't think of anything else, then it's a 10. If I feel a bit on edge then it is a 3 etc.  Nausea prevented me from eating anything today  = 10; nausea in the morning before breakfast = 2. That way the health anxiety will not cause you to evaluate your symptoms as more serious. I think Knosretep had a very nice set of criteria (if I remember correctly). 

Keeping fingers crossed that this will work, 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Thank you @Onmyway I often have a hard time distinguishing symptoms from my health and symptoms from my health anxiety.

I have stomach acid issues which sometimes cause chest discomfort, I also have mild asthma which can cause chest discomfort. Both of which can cause anxiety and then the anxiety makes it feel worse. It's an annoying cycle- that being said it could be either of those things and not from reinstating the drugs, who knows! 

@Onmyway I've used my inhaler and taken my ppi for my stomach issues today and neither have helped with the chest pain. In fact it seems to be hurting more now than it was. I'm a little concerned. 

Just an update, I'm just left the hospital.

My chest pain got so bad and then I started having issues breathing. 

They did a covid swab and chest xrays, both which came back fine. I was hooked up to a heart monitor and my heart is okay no issues with it. Blood tests for electrolytes (because they can effect your heart), infections that could be causing chest pain, and testing for my clotting (Dr wanted to test this after I brought up celexa going off and taking 10mg last night to reintroduce it).

They thought perhaps it was really bad heartburn and decided to try a pink lady *do not recommend very gross*. Which essentially numbs your esophagus. I felt like the pain was better after taking it so they decided it was bad heart burn with anxiety on top of it all.

Since leaving the hospital the pink lady had worn off and the pain is back which makes me agree.

I do take 40mg of nexium every day because I do have stomach issues, I am waiting to get a scope done plus testing for hpylori.

When I Googled does celexa cause heartburn- would you look at that it does. So perhaps reintroducing it gave me heartburn. (When I first started it 14 years ago it made me nauseous) 

I decided to check out reddit (gerd subreddit) and celexa/ssris and a handful of people have had the same issue after taking an ssri with heartburn and after a few days to a week it went away.

So, I'm going to continue with the 10mg but I will take it with some food and lots of water. 

Why? Because today is the first day in over a week that I haven't had brain zaps and my dizziness has been more manageable- so the reinstating did help with my symptoms, and I hope it will continue to.

I will, eventually in the future, taper down much much slower using the guides on here. But for now if I can live with 10mg I'm happy. 10mg is much better than 40mg. 

I will continue to update and I always appreciate any support or tips ❤

Hi @Kitkatmeow18

seems like the cause of the symptoms was not the reinstatement but continue to keep an eye how it impacts you and we can make decisions that way. 

I don't have experience with acid reflux or PPIs but we have a topic here on it.   https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2533-that-acid-reflux-pill-may-be-causing-your-health-problems/

You can do your own H-Pylori test. I've used this one successfully (it did detect an H-Pylori infection which was confirmed by doctor's test). If you do find you  have an H-Pylori infection, you will be prescribed antibiotics - some of them might be harder on withdrawal than others so you might want to check on the forum here for people's experience. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stomach-Ulcer-Test-Helicobacter-Pylori/dp/B07BGCH9L9/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1AVPAIRE3YUIH&keywords=h+pylori+test+kit&qid=1641118296&sprefix=hpylori+etst+%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-6

Hope things get better for you, 

OMW

Thanks @Onmyway- I'm actually set up to get blood work to test for hpylori soon(and its free because canada) and soon will be getting a scope done. I have had a few but they were a long time ago and they did find I had the start of a hiatus hernia so it could be that it has gotten worse. 

Today I didn't have any chest pain, no brain zaps, and dizziness was mild. Just my usual chronic neck pain and headaches 😩 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Kitkatmeow18: Celexa / citalopram fast taper

Hi @Kitkatmeow18

this sounds like good news - the withdrawal symptoms need to be fading with the reinstatement. What are you using to manage the chronic neck pain and the headaches? Hope they get getter soon as well. 

OMW

@Onmyway yes not having brain zaps is so nice! 

I had a Drs appointment today (on the phone) and let her know about what had happened and that I was back on 10mg and she agreed it sounded like withdrawal symptoms and to stay on 10mg for a while before attempting to come off - if I wanted to- to taper down from 10mg, but there is nothing wrong with being on 10mg for a while if I need it.

I also brought up my chronic neck pain and headaches and that I was taking way too much tylenol and motrin and it barely touches the pain most times, that botox had helped but im waiting for that to happen again, and in the mean time was struggling. She said a muscle relaxant would be her first choice since botox helped, and see where we are from there. 

I didnt ask her what she was prescribing or if it interacts with my other meds but assumed she would pick one that would work. She chose cyclobenzaprine, which I looked up interacts with citalopram so im a little worried. I called the pharmacy and asked and they said it should be fine it might just make me sleepy and to take it at night, but I don't want to take it at night because it's during the day that I have pain- so I'm a little frustrated.

11 hours ago, Kitkatmeow18 said:

@Onmyway yes not having brain zaps is so nice! 

I had a Drs appointment today (on the phone) and let her know about what had happened and that I was back on 10mg and she agreed it sounded like withdrawal symptoms and to stay on 10mg for a while before attempting to come off - if I wanted to- to taper down from 10mg, but there is nothing wrong with being on 10mg for a while if I need it.

I also brought up my chronic neck pain and headaches and that I was taking way too much tylenol and motrin and it barely touches the pain most times, that botox had helped but im waiting for that to happen again, and in the mean time was struggling. She said a muscle relaxant would be her first choice since botox helped, and see where we are from there. 

I didnt ask her what she was prescribing or if it interacts with my other meds but assumed she would pick one that would work. She chose cyclobenzaprine, which I looked up interacts with citalopram so im a little worried. I called the pharmacy and asked and they said it should be fine it might just make me sleepy and to take it at night, but I don't want to take it at night because it's during the day that I have pain- so I'm a little frustrated.

Hi @Kitkatmeow18

I don't know much about the muscle relaxant that you have been prescribed. I know that muscle relaxants usually work by interfering with nerve signals and lots of benzos are also used as muscle relaxants but my knowledge doesn't go beyond that. You can search the site and see if anyone has experience with this particular medication. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. If it's muscle related, can you try other things like epsom salt baths? 

As for when you decide to wean off of the AD in the future, pls remember to read the tapering thread carefully and go as slowly as you you can handle. But staying on 10mg for a few months seems like a good decision, to allow your nervous system to settle a bit. 

So glad you are getting some relief from the reinstatement!

OMW

@OnmywayOh I've tried so many things to help with the pain and such, this is just to manage until I can get my botox injections again since they helped a lot. 

I'm hoping they don't interfere with my celexa but I guess we will see.

The last 3 days I've had insomnia I'm assuming is from the meds. I always took them at night because they used to make me tired and now I take them and can't can't lol. I'm not sure if I should stick with it and see if it goes away or start taking them in the morning. My only issue with taking them in the morning is I also take nexium in the morning and I don't think I should take them together 🤔 

11 days on 10mg, struggling with a lot of stomach issues and I am not sure if they are related. I know they can be side effects of the meds but I already have stomach issues so it could be making them worse which sucks! I'm nauseous constantly, no appetite, when I try to eat I gag or feel like im going to be sick. Definitely a struggle right now :(

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious if you had the Botox injections and did they still help?

2010 - 2018 Zoloft 75 mg 2019 Zoloft 50mg 2019 Zoloft 25 mg

2020 Zoloft 12.5mg

2020 Switched July 6, 2020 to Lexapro 10 mg  Nov 10, 2020 5 mg 

2021 Feb 2, 2021 2.5 mg until July 24, 2021 (Date quit)

2021 Lexapro .5 mg Reinstatement Aug 18, 2021 

2021 Lexapro .42 mg Nov 16, 2021

2021 Lexapro .35 mg Dec 1, 2021

2021 Lexapro .5 mg updose Dec 11, 2021

2022 Lexapro 1.0 mg updose March 15, 2022

2022 Quit Lexapro March 19, 2022

1 hour ago, NeDaytoDayMJ said:

I was curious if you had the Botox injections and did they still help?

@NeDaytoDayMJ because my insurance renewed and changed my appointment tomorrow at the new pain clinic will be an assessment and then I will have to to back for the botox (sucks!) But I had botox injections at my old pain clinic and I found it helped a lot with my neck pain and headaches. I used to have a headache every day with a migraine at least twice a month. After the botox started doing its thing I went down in over half as many headaches and no migraines, as well as way less neck pain! 

Were you having Botox treatments during the withdrawal symptoms?  I’m curious if the Botox will work just as before.  Do you have headaches daily now?
 I’m thinking about trying Botox as my main symptom is headaches.  The headaches last all day everyday since Oct last year. 
I searched and couldn’t find much about Botox in withdrawal.  It seems like a possible option for me.  
I appreciate any insight you could give.  

2020 Zoloft 12.5mg

23 minutes ago, NeDaytoDayMJ said:

Were you having Botox treatments during the withdrawal symptoms?  I’m curious if the Botox will work just as before.  Do you have headaches daily now?
 I’m thinking about trying Botox as my main symptom is headaches.  The headaches last all day everyday since Oct last year. 
I searched and couldn’t find much about Botox in withdrawal.  It seems like a possible option for me.  
I appreciate any insight you could give.  

@NeDaytoDayMJ no I had my first round of botox in July and didn't try to taper until November. I've never seen anything about botox being used for any kind of withdrawal symptoms. I've had neck and head pain for years that has gotten progressively worse which is why I got the botox. 

It could help with headaches, what it does is kind of puts the muscles in a relaxed state until it wears off (3 months sometimes less) if your headaches are caused from muscle issues (neck and shoulders and muscles on the scalp) it could help. I'm not sure what headaches from withdrawal are really caused by so I don't know if it would work. Ultimately it is up to you if you want to try. It isn't cheap if you don't have benefit that cover it.  I'm in Ontario, my benefits at work cover 80% ish of medical stuff. The botox itself is 800$ which I got back about $500 of it. The other costs (drs fees etc) aren't covered and are out of pocket.

@Kitkatmeow18 Thank you for the information.  I have tension headaches but who knows if they are muscle related or where they come from.  But if the Botox works I would definitely be willing to try it out.  If you don’t mind coming back and reporting how the Botox is going I would be thankful.  Or I can come back and ask!  

2020 Zoloft 12.5mg

12 hours ago, NeDaytoDayMJ said:

@Kitkatmeow18 Thank you for the information.  I have tension headaches but who knows if they are muscle related or where they come from.  But if the Botox works I would definitely be willing to try it out.  If you don’t mind coming back and reporting how the Botox is going I would be thankful.  Or I can come back and ask!  

@NeDaytoDayMJ I will def let you know! I actually ended up with a migraine on my way to the pain clinic after not having one for a while (ironic) good thing my mom drove me because I was blind in my right eye for a while because of the aura. 

About to see the new pain doctor now so hopefully I can get booked in for my botox sooner than later 🙏