SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

teaforme: Been on SSRIs for over 10 years - ready to quit

teaforme

Hey very new here.

Started down a rabbit hole today when my current psychiatrist suggested I should go on Seroquel (despite not having psychosis or schizophrenia). I'm just so, so, so tired of having meds thrown at me. I had severe suicidal ideation and depression in 2010 or so and got on antidepressants which gave me my life back, however I've been terrified to stop.  I'm 100% not okay- Still have severe depression, still have PTSD, still have panic attacks. I've been in therapy and on meds for 10 years. It didn't work. For some reason his suggestion just hit me as an "I'm done" and led me in a completely different direction- here. I work, take care of myself, walk daily, take care of the house and pets- I'm just broken. I'm in weekly therapy with a clinician trained in EMDR and does neurostimulation. I've done therapy for years as well. 

My husband is supportive of me finding a naturopath or doing what I can to find a healthy me, my own way.  I want to do it "right" though. Do I wait until depression symptoms are in remission? If current meds aren't working it seems hard to see the point. 

I can't even recall a semi-accurate history of medications, but SSRI's predominately for 10 years. 

Currently on:

Zoloft 100 mg and Lamictal 150 mg I've been on this (increasing dose since October 2021 to (current) Dec 2021 

Before that:

Duloxetine (stopped working after 6 months or so) March 2021-October 2021

Citalopram 40 mg around 2019-2021

Citalopram+lamictal maybe 2015-2018

buproprion, abilify, at some point. probably many others. 

Current:

Zoloft 100 mg and Lamictal 150 mg (increasing dose) (October 2021 to Dec 2021+).

Before that:

Duloxetine (stopped working after 6 months) (March 2021-October 2021)

Citalopram 40 mg  (2019-2021)

Citalopram 40+lamictal 100 mg (2015-2018)

buproprion, abilify, others I don't recall.

TLDR: SSRI 10+ years.

• ChessieCat changed the title to teaforme: Been on SSRIs for over 10 years - ready to quit

@teaforme

Hi, and welcome to SA.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but glad you were able to find this site. We are a volunteer run site, where the members on here are going through what you are or have been through it and want to help members get off these medications the correct way.

This is your individual page where you can ask questions, make comments, receive information, and talk with other members going through the same thing as you are. Please keep your information to this page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Unfortunately, dr's don't understand how to taper people off these medications and will additionally "throw" new medications at you to cover up symptoms as in your case. You were very smart to refuse the dr recommendation. I'm so glad your husband is behind you to support you in this. That's very reassuring to you.

I know you wrote your history down, but could you please make a signature. 

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm going to give you some links to read about your medications. Take your time reading them.

Tips for Tapering Zoloft

Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

You have been put on and taken off many medications in a short period of time. I would hold for a while until you become stable before you decide to start tapering.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Brain Remodelling

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here, but we do suggest 2. You might try them one at a time and a small amount of one to start out to see how you do before adding the other one in.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

When you do get ready to start tapering, we will be happy to help you.

After you read this information (I know I gave you a lot), please don't hesitate to reach out to us and ask questions.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.