Alex3: total insomnia after 6 months reinstatement

Alex3

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Thanks for the suggestion, @Yesyes123 For some reason, each item on the list appears on a different page in Google Docs! It's very hard to read. Can you fix this?

Hey @AltostrataI will look into this soon!

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

(accidental double post, check post below)

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

@AltostrataI just updated the document, it should be all in one piece now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ivuuAb5wIEKw-dC6qlzMhcYwbJklWLC72TRzoricHI0/edit?usp=sharing

I can't recall their username, but some other member in here recommended me this diet and said it made a huge difference in their healing. I think it's worth looking into.

Important to note there is quite a bit of controversy around it and Dr. Gundry also sells supplements and such.

• Administrator

I don't know much about it, but eating fresh leafy greens and other fresh food is good for everyone.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor
On 2/14/2022 at 8:02 PM, Altostrata said:

I don't know much about it, but eating fresh leafy greens and other fresh food is good for everyone.

I don't know much about this either, but I have a deep interest in it.

I'm very interested especially in the effects that different types of foods have on people with psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome; it seems some changes in diet can greatly alleviate WD symptoms, and this seems worthy of further investigation.

The foods we eat make us what we are, and it is extremely important to eat the right things for your specific lifestyle.

Basically Dr. Gundry claims some plant foods we are so used to eating daily and consider so healthy actually contain a substance named Lectin that can be harmful to our bodies.

According to webmd.com:

"A lectin, also known as the “antinutrient” is a type of protein that binds to certain carbohydrates."

What I have found in my studies in nutrition and am very confident about is that no one should ever consume these oils:

• Partially hydrogenated Canola Oil

• Corn Oil

• Partially hydrogenated Vegetable Oil

• Cottonseed Oil

• Peanut Oil 

• Grapeseed Oil

• Sunflower Oil

• Safflower Oil

• Soy Oil 

Instead, use butter and olive oil. Coconut oil is also amazing but quite expensive.

peace + healing

• Administrator

Some people are sensitive to lectin, some not. It's like gluten intolerance. Not everybody has it.

You can assume our foraging ancestors ate anything that didn't make them vomit, and we're mostly omnivores.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, just checking in and catching up

I'm on the EV Organic Olive Oil, incredible stuff, plus I consume butter. All in moderation of course. Leafy greens in the form of spinach is like kryptonite for myself due to the oxalate-preventing-absorption theory

Hope you're all well. Status still the same here in that every night still consists of exhausting, frenetic dreams/nightamares. I've spoken to my Dr who says I should leave it to him to worry about tapering off, which at first is reassuring, but then I've trusted people thus far and been mis-led. This brings myself onto my next question...

Has anyone ever had any experience with the orodispersible Mirtazapine? Much cheaper than the 5-week liquid bottle and offers to ability to syringe and taper accordingly it would seem....

Jan 2016 - Autumn/Dec 2016 CLOMIPRAMINE

Oct 2017 - CITALOPRAM (accidental updose)

Oct 2017 - Dec 2020 MIRTAZAPINE 15mg

Dec 2020 - May 2021 MIRTAZAPINE Liquid taper to 6.75mg

May 2021 - diet change caused the taper to fail - MIRTAZAPINE pill 15mg reinstated

May 2021 - present MIRTAZAPINE 15mg with occasional use of a benzo or Zoplicone for emergencies

Will continue to stabilse at 15mg before proceeding with a slow taper

• Administrator

May 2021 - diet change caused the taper to fail - MIRTAZAPINE pill 15mg reinstated

May 2021 - present MIRTAZAPINE 15mg with occasional use of a benzo or Zoplicone for emergencies

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, Alex3 said:

You may want to add this to the In the Media section.  You're more likely to have a discussion because that's the section where we look for new media articles. If you feel like it, please also post your own thoughts about the article and anything that stands out to you. 

@ShepThanks Shep, can I ask where specifically in the Media section you'd think it best to post that link and open a discussion?

The timing of NICE guideline changes **could** potentially be a bit of a gamechanger and may well coincide at attempt 2 at tapering.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Alex3 said:

@ShepThanks Shep, can I ask where specifically in the Media section you'd think it best to post that link and open a discussion?

The timing of NICE guideline changes **could** potentially be a bit of a gamechanger and may well coincide at attempt 2 at tapering.

When you get to the In the Media section, click on the Start New Topic button over on the right side of the screen. 

Sounds like you're doing some research in the guidelines and we'd all benefit from your take on that article. 

How are you feeling? How is your sleep? 

@ShepThanks Shep, shall head over there later

I haven't specifically looked at the NICE NHS guidelines, but your comment has given me a nudge to think it would be a sensible idea. The link to the DM article states something along the lines of impending changes to the guidelines so things are at least ostensibly changing and being brought to the forefront rather than us being left as an afterthought.

This hell is compounded when your symptoms are invalidated. Helps to communicate/convey/articulate with family and colleagues too.

I'm still in the same state. Getting some sleep, but filled with horrendous dreams/nightmares. Otherwise functioning

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Alex3 said:

I'm still in the same state. Getting some sleep, but filled with horrendous dreams/nightmares. Otherwise functioning

Glad you're functioning even with the poor sleep. This will get better in time. 

• Administrator

Joanna Moncrieff, Mark Horowitz, and I commented extensively on the NICE guidelines, on behalf of Critical Psychiatry Network.

• 2 weeks later...

Exploratory question to consider, with much in the way of caution...

As a male, could TRT help in the withdrawal process? Subject to micro dosing and being professionally managed, I'm wondering if it could help. At first glance, I'm very much of the motto "less is more" and completely against introducing other pharma drugs such as statins etc. However, with TRT I think there's a lot of growing evidence to suggest that it can be very beneficial to men and their wellbeing (irrelevant of withdrawal). There's supplements to consider too

If you're in the midst of withdrawal AND you pile on low testosterone in to the mix too...

“I’ve Stopped My Antidepressants Doc” - How TRT is Changing Men’s Lives - The Men's Health Clinic (themenshealthclinic.co.uk)

Remember the part of my story where I went for a blood test and then changed my diet that seemingly led to the absorption-oxalate issues?

Well the link above is the place (based in Dorset, headed by a former GP) where I went for the blood test. The article above even mentions withdrawal.

Worth a read and perhaps to be posted in the media thread as well

• Administrator

We've been running this site for more than 10 years now. Every remedy you can think up has been proposed. Please use search in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for discussions about this.

I have never seen any good come out of taking testosterone for withdrawal symptoms. You can do this if you want, but if it goes bad, we don't have any way to fix it.

@AltostrataIt is something I wondered as a long term lifestyle change that could be of overall benefit and as a by-product, aid in withdrawal.

Will shelve

• Administrator

In general, fooling around with hormones causes a lot of problems.

Another random find.

Somebody advocating tapering to the Mirt 15mg mark and then stopping the tapering.

Not jumping to any conclusions, just was an interesting take and wondering if there's any potential justified reasoning behind it... or just misinformation

Mirt is seemingly quite unique, certainly in the lower the dose the more sedating it is/can be

81F2EC77-BA09-4E9A-B95E-82234F26821C.png

• Administrator

Depends on the effect mirtazapine has on you. Effects are individual. There is no definite rule about these things.

What about that random post on the Web do you find convincing?

• 2 months later...

@Altostrata Hi Alto and everyone, just checking in. Same state of racing dreams/terrors etc. otherwise functioning

However, I am gearing up to find a way of getting off these. For one, anti depressants deeply impact my libido

As for your question @Altostrata, I just found it curious that particular Dr proposed tapering to 15mg, but then not tapering beyond that. Just gathering as much info and understanding as much as possible before eventually starting the processing of getting off this stuff.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Alex3 said:

I just found it curious that particular Dr proposed tapering to 15mg, but then not tapering beyond that

It's because that doctor knows nothing about tapering or withdrawal syndrome. This is not unusual.

• 2 weeks later...

@AltostrataQuestion...

Is there any discussion about serotonin syndrome? Possibly from having too much tryptophan (from foods, not as a supplement)

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  You can use the site search function or an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term:

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

Alto's comment here

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Drug.com Interactions Checker

Use this drug interaction checker and you will see that there is a major interaction for tryptophan (supplement) and mirtazapine.

If you are concerned about food, you could try eliminating foods high in tryptophan and see if it makes a difference.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Very unlikely one could get serotonin syndrome from foods.

Hello, thank you both for responding as always.

Well, there is some kind of interaction between what I eat (sometimes when I eat) and the Mirtazapine. Absorption is one possible direction and another is tryptophan (which is proxy serotonin) is another area.

I'm not taking any supplements and I don't intend on taking any as I think my body is too sensitised to anything to take anything in addition.

This may change once I'm completely off the Mirt, but not before.

@ChessieCat QQ please. I read elsewhere that you had success with a compounding pharmacy?

I think I'm inclined to go down that route when the tapering begins

Specialist Pharmacy – No.1 Compounding Pharmacy in the UK (specialist-pharmacy.com)

The liquid is expensive, in-precise at the really low doses

The Netherlands tapering strips is the other consideration

Hello all, hope you're doing well

Yesterday I finally decided to make an appointment to start the process of getting off Mirtazapine

Today, there's been a major possible major breakthrough news-wise:

20-7-22 Chemical Imbalance (19-7-22 made appt).JPG

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alex3: total insomnia after 6 months reinstatement
  • Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that's fantastic.

Please post about it here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/15-in-the-media/

Hi @Alex3

Thank you for sharing the news. 

Great minds think alike -- @Erimus started a related topic today, too! 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 3 weeks later...

@ChessieCat hello, I had a conversation with my Dr last Wednesday, getting a bit apathetic. Usual cycle... assurances that they'll get me off, but then only offering 50-100% drops with the Mirtazapine... says they're the only options even though I've been on the liquid previously (that taper only seemingly failed due to food sensitivities, which still exist)

I was assertive in that I refused to go down that route, particularly as I now feel pretty sensitised and frazzled

These options don't seem on the table:

- cold turkey

- 50% drops, alternating days/doses

- liquid is too expensive, imprecise at the lowest doses and I don't trust its delivery method. It also expires between 5-6 weeks.

- Utrecht University tapering strips (I feel in a similar position to James Moore) won't likely be signed off

That leaves two remaining options as far as I can gather:

- Compounding pharmacy Specialist Pharmacy – No.1 Compounding Pharmacy in the UK (specialist-pharmacy.com)

- Making my own tablets

Now if I can trust this Compound Pharmacy then how about I assert and propose a Brass Monkey slow, but steady taper?