Nads: Prozac second time around

Hi everyone this is my first post so please excuse any errors or things I don’t do correctly.  I see a lot about inserting signatures but I am not sure how to do this…

So this year after 3 years on Prozac (swapping from Seroxat from June 2018) I decided to taper off very slowly because I was in a good place in myself.  This was equivalent to one every other day for 1 month and then 1 every two days for another month and so on.  This started in June 2021.  By September 2021, I felt at the point that the tapering was perhaps enough so stopped approx Sept 15th.  I felt I was doing ok but then on 15th November I got Corona and for some reason my system completely got messed up with severe anxiety and on 28th November I reinstated my on the advice of the doctor the Prozac at my usual 20mg - Big mistake.  The doctor then gave me 20mg Temazepam for sleep and Oxazepam 10mg for the anxiety and upped me to 30mg Prozac.  I stuck this for 2 weeks and the side effects were so bad I dropped back down to 20mg and continued but I had such extreme nausea that I lost 9kg in 6 weeks and this Monday just gone the Psychiatrist has taken me off the Prozac immediately and told me that he will try me on something else after two weeks!!!  I’m really scared for more side effects but he said he is not worried about that because it takes such a long time to leave the system.  I am in general anxious so worrying about this is also not helping.

Do I need to re-add my drug history as I already did this when I registered?

I hope for some good advice or reassurance.  

Thank you

Citalopram 25mg Nov - Dec 2016
Venlafaxine 225mg (Effexor) Jan 2017 - May 2017
Olanzepine 10mg Jan - May 2017
Oxazepam 10mg Jan - June 2017
Diazepam 2mg June - Aug 2017
Seroxat 20mg Aug 2017 - July 2018
Prozac 20mg July 2018 - June 2021 very slow withdrawal over 3 months
Anxiety returned…..Nov 2021 resinstated
Oxazepam 10mg Nov 2021 to date
Resinstated Prozac 20mg Nov 2021 - Jan 3 2022 (stopped immediately advice from psychiatrist due to severe nausea and weight loss - cannot take it anymore after successfully taking it for 3 years
Temazepam 20mg Nov 2021 to date

• ChessieCat changed the title to Nads: Prozac second time around

@Nads

Welcome to the site. We are all volunteers going through the same as you or have gone through what we are going through.

This is you own personal page. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place. This is where you can receive information, ask questions and meet members like you.

Can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

It sounds like your dr reinstated you on a way too high dose and then quickly took you off. You are now going through major withdrawal symptoms.

Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

Here are some pro's and con's on reinstating.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Here are some links to get you started:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You may wish to reinstate Prozac at 0.5 or 1 mg and see if that might help. I wouldn't suggest trying another antidepressant.

Please let us know if we can answer any questions or how we can further help you.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, 

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@Frogie thank you for your response.😊  The psychiatrist actually called me last night and told me that I would pee out 10% Prozac a day and advised for the morning anxiety (which is strong) to take 20mg Oxazepam to help with the withdrawal/anxiety because he thinks I need a noradrenaline type of medication not an SSRI which would work on a different part of my brain apparently.  His worry is introducing/reintroducing too many tablets medications and as the Oxazepam can at least keep me a little level he thinks it’s best to stick with something that is working.  I also take Temazepam for sleep which has helped me get at least 7/8 hours from initially getting about 2 hours.  He said to take 30mg but I take 20mg and if I wake up at say 2am then I will take the other 10mg - he also said this is an option as if I take 30mg and still wake up I have no back up.

I did my signature so I hope it automatically appears when I post this… still new at it all…

Resinstated Prozac 20mg Nov 2021 - Jan 3 2022 (stopped immediately advice from psychiatrist due to severe nausea and weight loss - cannot take it anymore after successfully taking it for 3 years

@Nads

Did you reinstate Prozac?  I guess I'm a bit confused. If you do reinstate I would not recommend reinstating a full 20 mg dose. Like I advised before 1-2 mg on reinstatement should help.

You could take the Oxazepam in the morning, but it is a benzo so it could be sedating.

Take the Temazepam an hour or so before bed, But please don't go up and down on dosage. It will affect your CNS until you don't know what is going on. Chose a dose and stick with it. 

Thank you for your signature. I know this is all confusing.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, 

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@Frogie Yes unfortunately I very stupidly in panic restarted my Prozac at the usual 20mg that I was taking prior to the tapering.  That was after a phone call with my doctor.  I now realise that was not wise and perhaps had I just treated the actual problem which was the insomnia (after Corona) the Temazepam may have been enough to just reset me.  I thought I was returning to full blown depression and anxiety because of all my symptoms.  Extreme anxiety coupled with exhaustion sent me spiralling down very quickly.  Then the doctor because of this increased my Prozac to 30mg!! So you can imagine what my CNS was doing.  The Prozac I have not taken since Monday (3rd Jan) due to the psychiatris stopping it (not the doctor) - in Holland the psychiatrist has the last say in all this.  He told me that he thinks my system needs a different drug that works on a different neurotransmitter but he wants to make sure as much Prozac is out of my system as possible before he starts added different ones.  You are right about the Oxazepam 20mg was very sedating this morning 🤦🏻‍♀️.  I normally take 10mg 3 x a day.  The doctor and now in agreement with the psychiatrist  prescribed 30mg Temazepam for sleep but I was worried that if I then woke up after taking 30mg then I cannot take anymore so I discussed with him that I would start my sleep with taking 20mg and if I wake and cannot get back to sleep then add the 10mg to take it to 30mg and to be honest that’s the dose I take every night so it’s always 30mg.  My biggest problem despite all this pill popping I’m a pill phobe so everytime I take one I’m never really at ease with it - sounds stupid I know.  I really appreciate your response and advice.

@Nads

Is there anyway you could talk to the dr or psychiatrist about reinstating a small, very small amount of Prozac? Maybe 2 mg and see if that helps? You don't want to be put on any other medications if you can help it.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Oxazepam can be very sedating. Maybe you can split the dose and take it 2-3 times a day so it stays in your bloodstream longer and you don't have so much sedation. But don't switch doses back and forth or you will have a very messed up CNS as you know.

Take the Temazepam an hour or so before bed, But please don't go up and down on dosage. It will affect your CNS until you don't know what is going on. Chose a dose and stick with it. 

@Frogie thank you so much for your reply.  I will speak to the psychiatrist on Monday about reinstating because in Holland they handle the meds for this.   I’m definitely going to split the Oxazepam dose 20mg this morning in one go was way too much.  Normally I do 3 x 10mg spread throughout the day and you are correct that’s better for me and more stabilising.

About the Temazepam I will do as you say and stick with 20mg and try and just go back to sleep if I wake.  30mg could be guaranteed sleep but then my fear is waking at 2am after taking 30mg and then not being able to get back to sleep which is why I split it but you are right that my CNS is getting constantly mixed signals so i’m not helping myself by adding in the extra 10mg.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and advise me, this whole thing is such a minefield, this site is a blessing.

Kind regards, 

@Nads

I hope your psychiatrist will understand and you can find some relief.

Please let me know what happens.

@Frogieyou are so kind.  The Dutch are quite a different species 🤣 paracetamol cures everything here.  It’s not that they don’t take mental health seriously but you feel a bit more like you need to fight a bit more to get heard.  Last night I just took the 20mg of Temazepam as discussed and I did wake but I didn’t take another 10mg and managed to go back to sleep.  I also woke earlier but managed with some breathing and calming myself to go back to sleep.  The anxiety was however waiting for me when I finally woke so I took 10mg of Oxazepam just to take the edge off and will do the same through the day as needed.  Will let you know what the psychiatrist says tomorrow. Kind regards, 

@Frogie@Altostrata@Shep

Hi , Sorry Nads for jumping onto your topic but your story is similar to mine and desperately looking for some guidance from a MOD- my post has not yet been confirmed.

Frogie/Alto/Shep- I have been at 20mg paxil for 18 months now without any change in symptoms, constant nausea everyday- unable to live a normal life.

Long story short- I quick tapered from 50mg to 0mg over 3 months- the severe problems came once I dropped back below 20mg hence why I reinstated to that level after 3 months off hell ( That ended Septemebr 2020 ).

Reintroducing took away all WD symptoms apart from Nausea. Seen a private shrink who prescribed me multiple drugs like depakote, clonazepam, stemetil- but none worked to remove sickness.

I'm at my wits end now and am totally happy to go back up on paxil if it improves my sickness. Something I'm very reluctant in doing.

Have you come across any stories on here similar to mine who have gone back up after so long on lower dose and recover?

Many thanks

Mike

PAROXETINE 

20MG- 18-24

30MG- 24-28

50MG- 28-31

Posted (edited)

@Mike8989 firstly sorry to hear you are going through so much.  This site is a Godsend for people like us who are so lost with all the information about SSRI’s, tapering/withdrawal.  @Frogiehas been extremely helpful with advice.  I am in between drugs now because after going back onto Prozac at way too high a dose it did not work for me.  I previously tapered directly from Seroxat to Prozac with no problems back in 2018.  I am going to discuss reinstating a very small amount of Prozac 1 or 2 mg with the psychiatrist who also thinks that I need different type of medication.  My body has changed a lot in the last 5 years as I am now in menopause which brings it’s own set of issues for hormones and chemicals in the body.  However often HRT is not the magic answer either.  

I haven’t got a success story yet because I am still working out my own recovery but what I do know is a lot of people successfully take an SSRI and then after coming off cannot get back on it, I personally wish I’d never come off it but I am where I am so I’m just going to keep going and find the right answer for what works for me.  I will of course post any successes I have.

Kind regards, 

Edit: For me the nausea was unbearable coupled with weightloss - I never had it before when I was on the Prozac but it was horrendous second time.  It’s still a bit there but also I am recovering from Covid and a Long Covid symptoms is also nausea! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Edited by Nads
I did not answer question about nausea

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Mike8989 said:

Hi , Sorry Nads for jumping onto your topic but your story is similar to mine and desperately looking for some guidance from a MOD- my post has not yet been confirmed.

Mike, I've posted in your intro thread. Please only post questions about your taper in your own thread, which is here:

Mike8989: paroxetine to Prozac bridge

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.