Albert50: Reinstated and Need to taper again - Xanax

Albert50

Hello

I used to take 0.25G of Alprazolam for 2 weeks in 2020 going to 2021. I did cold turkey without knowing the side effects because the insomnia and head symptoms were too strong to bear. I had sharp head cut pain for some time. I reinstated to 1.5g on Dec 10 2021. The head symptoms are fading out but feel 65% better but still not functional. I am not on the bed anymore, i can stay on the sofa and do get broken sleep. I wanna taper now, I feel I can start even though I have not stabilize yet. Can I  start to taper now from Xanas ( AL) or do I need to be stable first? I am doing 1.5 three times a day now. Major issue now is insomnia, head sensations and fatigue. I am on the sofas during the day but can not do much.

Can I taper now? How much do you recommend to cut down by and how ( I am doing 1.5g three times a day). I want to do 10% cut so I will do 1.5 mormning , 1.0 afternoon and 1.5 in the evening. Before this I was doing 4.5g a day. Would it make a difference if I start now?

Aug 2020 0.25mg Xanax as needed ( Alprazolam )

July 10 2021 : C/T Unknowingly from 0.25/day - Multiple frequent listed withdrawal symptoms

Oct 2021 Reinstated at 1mg Xanax - Dr refused to prescribe but was put in other benzo but all did not work

Nov 2021 Reinstated to Xanax at 1.5 three times a day ( Total of 4.5mg per day😞 Doing 1.5mg / 1.5mg / 1.5mg Alprazolam

Jan 18th 2020 Taper by 0.5 and  Doing 1.5mg / 1.0mg / 1.5mg Alprazolam feeling awful

I plan to start 0.125mg drop every 5 days.

Major symptom is I have head pressure that does not go away. I feel like a hole and sometimes it vibrates alot.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Albert50: Reinstated and Need to taper again - Xanax

Hi @Albert50

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site with members such as you going through what you are or have gone through it.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, you can ask questions and meet member such as you going through what you are. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can I please ask you to create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Are you on any other drugs/antidepressants? Even supplements, I'm asking because if you are not, I'm going to have you switch over to the Benzo tapering and recovery page where we can address just the Xanax. If you are on other medications, then we will have you stay right here on the Introductions page.

I am one of these members being a 20+ year user of Xanax. It is not a fun drug to taper off of, in my opinion. Have you thought about switching over to diazepam?

Here is an example of the crossover you would do:

An Example Crossover

Below are the steps for setting up a crossover using the Ashton schedules. The goal is to slowly remove your current benzo over a matter of weeks, while transitioning over to Valium. It takes about a week for Valium to slowly build up, so you need to allow at least a week in between reducing your current benzo and increasing Valium. 

Step 1

Locate the Valium equivalency of your current benzo. 

Benzodiazepine Equivalence Table

This chart lists various benzos and how much it takes to equal 10 mg Valium. For example, the first benzo listed, alprazolam (Xanax), states .5 mg is equal to 10 mg Valium, meaning  Xanax is 20 times more potent than Valium. 

Step 2

Locate the Ashton Crossover Schedule for your current benzo. You may not be taking the exact dose listed, but look for the schedule closest to what you are taking. Please note these schedules should be viewed as a general guideline. You need to let your symptoms inform your taper. You may need more time to crossover and longer hold times. Remember, crossing over from your current benzo means you go into withdrawal. Hopefully the Valium will cover the withdrawal, but there are no guarantees. 

Step 3

Make any adjustments needed to align your particular benzo dose with the dose listed in the schedule. Many of the Ashton schedules are based on dosing throughout the day; however, if you only take your drug once a day, you won't need to change the time you take your current benzo, since Valium only needs to be taken once a day due to its long half-life. 

To give an example, we’ll use 1.5 mg alprazolam (Xanax), which is equivalent to 30 mg diazepam (Valium).  The below schedule is loosely based on Schedule 7 (Ashton Manual - Schedule 7), adjusting for a lower starting dose and transitioning over in 5 mg diazepam increments instead of 10 mg for a more gradual crossover. This schedule can be adjusted as needed. Some people will transition over more slowly in the beginning to assess if the diazepam will be tolerated and then speed up the transition later. 

Start: alprazolam 1.5mg

Stage 1  (1-2 weeks) alprazolam 1.25 mg, diazepam 5 mg  

Stage 2 (1-2 weeks) alprazolam 1.0 mg, diazepam 10 mg

Stage 3 (1-2 weeks) alprazolam .75 mg, diazepam 15 mg

Stage 4 (1-2 weeks) alprazolam 0.5 mg, diazepam 20 mg

Stage 5 (1-2 weeks) alprazolam 0.25 mg, diazepam 25 mg

Stage 6 (1-2 weeks) Stop alprazolam, diazepam 30 mg

Before starting your taper, hold until any symptoms have resolved and you feel stable enough to reduce the diazepam. At that point, you'll want to reduce no faster than 10% per month from the previous month's dose. For more information on the speed of the taper, see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

If you don't want to crossover, I would taper equal amounts of each dose, no more than 10% a month. 

We don't suggest supplements on here except 2. If you want to try one, try it in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Please read the links and information that I gave you and then don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Albert,  Welcome from me too.  Why did you go back on the alprazolam at such a higher dose?  And then please clarify what you presently take.  I see you noting G.  Is that for grams?  Big difference between grams and milligrams as far as dose goes, so just wanted to ask.  Thank you for clarifying.....or I worry about anyone, taking too much of something.  Love, peace, healing, and growth,   moderator manymoretodays (mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Due to work related stress i was prescribed and used to take Xanax: 0.25mg until irregularly ( As needed ) for like 2 weeks, Then I started I to take at night due to Insomnia for like 2 weeks before July 10th when I did CT.  I stayed off  Alprazolam and had withdrawals that I could not bear.  Then between the first two weeks in December,  I tried Klonopin and Valium but did not work/help. On  Dec 10 2021 I started using 1.5 Xanax 3 times a day to today. Since then my symptoms have improved by 75% feeling better. I now feel like starting to taper again.

July 10 2021 : C/T Unknowingly from 0.25/day - Multiple frequent listed withdrawal symptoms

Oct 2021 Reinstated at 1mg Xanax - Dr refused to prescribe but was put in other benzo but all did not work

Nov 2021 Reinstated to Xanax at 1.5 three times a day ( Total of 4.5mg per day😞 Doing 1.5mg / 1.5mg / 1.5mg Alprazolam

Jan 18th 2020 Taper by 0.5 and  Doing 1.5mg / 1.0mg / 1.5mg Alprazolam feeling awful

Major symptom is I have head pressure that does not go away. I feel like a hole and sometimes it vibrates alot.

@Albert50

Welcome to SA.

Read the information that both I and @manymoretodays gave you. I think you'll find some really good information.

4.5 mg of Xanax is a lot. I was on 3-4 mg a day so I completely understand your situation.

Do you want to try a switch to Diazepam or stick with the Xanax do you think after you read the links that were provided? If you want to taper from the Xanax, You will need a scale to weigh and measure it correctly.

Please let me know after you watch this short video and I'll be happy to help you!

Edited by Frogie

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Hi Albert, welcome to SA from me too.  I am also tapering alprazolam (xanax), using a liquid preparation that I make from tablets.  It's easy to measure and I make a solution that lasts a few days.  So far, it's working well for me.

2007 - 2008          Paxil and Klonopin

2008 - 2012           Mirtazapine following CT from Klonopin and Paxil.  

2012                       Unsuccessful taper of mirtazapine; reinstated.     

7/2013 - 1/2014   Successfully tapered mirtazapine from 7.5 mg to 0.00.

Sertraline (Zoloft) Taper  Aug 4, 2017 - July 18, 2021 - Current dose 0.00

Alprazolam (Xanax)  July 19, 2017 - Nov 15, 2021 0.25 mg.

Began 10% taper  Nov 16, 2021 - 0.25  Jan 11, 2022 - 0.203;  Jan 13, 2023 - 0.0499;  Jan 21, 2024 - 0.0137;  Mar 17, 2024 - 0.0092;  Taper is 96% complete.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, Albert50 said:

Due to work related stress i was prescribed and used to take Xanax: 0.25mg until irregularly ( As needed ) for like 2 weeks, Then I started I to take at night due to Insomnia for like 2 weeks before July 10th when I did CT.  I stayed off  Alprazolam and had withdrawals that I could not bear.  Then between the first two weeks in December,  I tried Klonopin and Valium but did not work/help. On  Dec 10 2021 I started using 1.5 Xanax 3 times a day to today. Since then my symptoms have improved by 75% feeling better. I now feel like starting to taper again.

Thanks Albert50. @Albert50  This is good information you provided ^.

We'd also like to know if you are on any other psychiatric or psychotropic drugs now?

And then please give a try at doing a signature, just the dates and drugs and doses go in the signature.  It's different, in that, once done, it will appear below all your posts, and acts as an easy reference for us, wherever you post on the site after this.

Just click on the arrow in the upper right corner to see the whole quote, and then follow the directions and get that done for us.  Much appreciated.

Thanks, and welcome aboard again.......

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays (mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...

I have started to taper as follows: 1.5mg;  1.0 mg; and 1.5mg  and today is my 10th day doing so. I dropped the midday dose from 1.6mg to now 1.0mg. I think the 0.5mg drop was too much for my body. I have read about micro taper and now I want to start microtaper by 0.125mg deduction. QUESTION:

1. How do I deduct this 0.125mg? Will it be from my 1.5mg MORNING pill OR from the 1.0mg AFTERNOON pill or from the 1.5mg NIGHT pill? I am taking my pills 7 hours apart ( 7am; 2pm and 3pm )

My prescription is  1.0mg and split them so I can take the 1.5mg ( Alprazolam ) BUT the question is do I need to make sure i get the pills from the same generic brand? I read that I will need to switch from the 1mg to 0.25mg pills if I plan to start my taper by 0.125mg

• 2 months later...

@Albert50

I have merged this question into your introduction page. We ask that each member only have on page so we can keep all your information in one place. Thanks.

Hello - I am back again. My spouse has been able to drop from 4.5mg to recently 3.0mg of Alprazolam. In Jan 2022, was at 4.5mg and tried to drop by 0.5mg at first, took over 20 days to stabilize a bit. then started micro taper at 0.125mg drop every 5 days.

Still not sure what to do as Xanas is at high level of use (3mg per day). Made a decision, to drop again:

Posting on behalf of my spouse. As of April 1st 2022, it was 1mg x 3 times a day Takes 1mg Xanas at 8AM, then 1mg at 2 PM and later 1mg at 8PM

Starting today, April 2nd, plan is to drop ( 0.25mg total ) as follows 

1mg @ 8AM

0.875mg @ 2PM

0.875mg @ 8PM

is this OK?

Edited by Frogie

@Albert50

The taper from 4.5 to 3.0 mg is more than 25%, which is much too fast. You don't want to taper any faster than 10% a month, and with benzos it's much easier to go slower.

I would not taper the xanax at this time because you made such a big taper of the ativan just a couple of months ago. The body needs to stabilize.

When you do make a taper, do not taper more than 10% and hold at least 4-6 weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers