SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Kato: does Zoloft / sertraline cause frequent urination and urine retention?

Kato

Hello,

My husband is on 200 mg of Zoloft and for the past five years and for the past months has been waking up about every two hours during his sleep to urinate. He also has difficulty getting it out. Sometimes he wakes up and there is just a trickle. I have found some information on line that does lead me to believe urine retention can be a side effect of SSRIs, however his psychiatric nurse doesn't think so. Have others experienced this as a side effect of SSRI's or other antidepressants? 

He was considering tapering to help with his sleep however, we are also dealing with intense grief during this time because our son recently died a traumatic death. Both the psychiatric nurse nor I felt tapering was a good idea right now, but my husband was suggesting it. If he is open to it and willing to, should we support him in this decision?

My other question is would it be a good idea for him to taper if it helps him heal from urine retention and perhaps get better rest? The psychiatric nurse recently started him on Clonazepam and it seems his grief is more intense, he is more anxious and even talking about not wanting to live, which he did not do before the Clonazepam. 

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any guidance you might be able to share with me.

Kato

1995, at 24 yrs old started 100 mg Zoloft and Doxepin, around 2003 started tapering and by 2009 was taking only 12.5 mg of Zoloft and 30 mg of Doxepin. In 2014 new Psychiatrist recommended I get off meds since 12.5 is not a "medicated dose"  and I had been taking that amount for the last 6 years. Tapered but perhaps too quickly. Was fine but a month later started having trouble sleeping, peeing frequently and waking up every two hours to pee. Was prescribed sleep meds, got worse, spiraled then back on Zoloft 200mg, plus was also prescribed Lithium and Remeron. off Lithium and Remeron by end of 2015. Now on 187.5 mg Zoloft. 

• Frogie changed the title to Kato:does Zoloft/Setraline cause frequent urination and urine retention?

Hi @Kato

Welcome to SA. 

First could you please create a signature. Thanks

.Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. And I'm very sorry to hear of your son. 

Do you think your husband would be willing to write on here? 

In the meantime,  I can start you out with some information and maybe he would be comfortable after reading the links.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Urination and Bladder Issues (Male and Female)

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How much Clonazepam does your husband take a day? It can cause depression, thoughts of "hurting yourself" and even frequent urination. 

This is your/your husband's page where you will receive information, ask questions, and meet other members dealing with issues such as your husbands. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place.

After you read the links I have given you, please reach out with any questions you or your husband may have. I'm glad you found us.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Kato: does Zoloft/Setraline cause frequent urination and urine retention?
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank for your message Frogie. I created a signature but not sure if I did it correctly. I guess we will find out after I submit this message.

My husband, Tom,  started tapering from the 200 mg of Zoloft. He is at 187.5 mg for a week. We haven't noticed any major changes. No brain zaps, headaches, or anything else different as before. But he does have anger bursts in the morning and is really panicky. We are dealing with a bunch of grief, though, since our son's death. We can't tell if his outbursts are just normal grief, or perhaps the Zoloft it too high a prescription considering he lost 30 lbs since our son passed last year November. He also is drawing obsessively and that started after our son died. I forgot to mention that he did recently try Trazadone for a week for his sleep and it made him feel worse so stopped. Then he tried Klonopin and again it didn't work and just made him feel worse. It seems his panic and anxiety increased. Now he started tapering because we feel the Zoloft is perhaps causing his symptoms of urine retention and frequent urination and can not sleep. He wakes up every two hours to pee and then can't always fall asleep again. It's driving him crazy. 

His anger, outbursts, and extreme anxiety is all much more intense in the morning after he takes the Zoloft. Then, as the day passes he calms by the afternoon usually and is much quieter and calmer by the evening. 

We read the tapering instructions and it does say that if after a week without symptoms then taper again the next week. But, in our case how can we tell if the anxiety, drawing obsessively, anger outbursts are just the medication and too high a dose or withdrawal symptoms? 

Would it be safe to go down to 175 this week and see if there is change in the anxiety and/or his ability to sleep? He is afraid to taper too quickly, but then what if the medication side effects just keep making things worse for him by causing him to still pee frequently and not be able to sleep. 

Help,

Kot

1995, at 24 yrs old started 100 mg Zoloft and Doxepin, around 2003 started tapering and by 2009 was taking only 12.5 mg of Zoloft and 30 mg of Doxepin. In 2014 new Psychiatrist recommended I get off meds since 12.5 is not a "medicated dose"  and I had been taking that amount for the last 6 years. Tapered but perhaps too quickly. Was fine but a month later started having trouble sleeping, peeing frequently and waking up every two hours to pee. Was prescribed sleep meds, got worse, spiraled then back on Zoloft 200mg, plus was also prescribed Lithium and Remeron. off Lithium and Remeron by end of 2015. Now on 187.5 mg Zoloft. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Kato: does Zoloft / sertraline cause frequent urination and urine retention?

Our main concern is that he isn't sleeping well. We think if we improve his sleep, his lack of motivation and focus during the day could improve. He is grieving but much more intensely than I and is stuck in cycles of negative thinking. He can hardly work and just recently we applied for disability. He is very very agitated in the mornings mostly, after he takes the zoloft. By the end of the day much calmer and ready to sleep by 9 pm We are in bed every night by 9:30 pm. but he wakes up every two hours to pee, and sometimes can't get back to sleep. 

My main question is, now after a week of small taper to 187.5 from 200 mg. can we perhaps go to 175mg? He isn't feeling brain zaps, headaches....but he does have terrible digestion, constipation...although, this started after Trazadone was added to aid with sleep about a month ago. He only took it for a week and then stopped. However, he has struggled with poor digestion for many years. I wonder if Zoloft on it's own kills affects the gut microbiome? He also burps a lot. 

Also, I have asked him to add his profile and write in on his own but he just doesn't have the energy or will.

Thanks,

Kt

Hi @Kato, 

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your son, that seems like a horrible thing to do through and no wonder you are struggling. 

It seems like the main problem which you are attributing to Zoloft right now seems to be the frequent urination which you think is keeping him awake and you think that, in turn, is partially the cause of his emotional struggles. 

Thank you for creating a signature. I am a bit confused with it though - you use "I" there but your post is about your husband. If we want to discuss your husband's case, the signature should be about his drugs, not yours. Can you pls specify in the signature? You also mention in the text some clonazepam and trazodone but they are not in the signature. We need to know details here even if he took them for 1 day. If you could also add any supplements/other drugs that he is using that would be very helpful.  

Have you considered other sources for this urination issues? At that age men can have prostate problems and/or obstructions (a friend had an obstruction in his urethra which caused similar problems). If you haven't done so, can you pls have these checked? Has he had urination issues on Zoloft before? It doesn't mean that if he didn't have them before it's not possible for adverse effects to start now esp if there have been other drug changes but important to know. 

It is also not uncommon for people to have more agitation in the morning and then get calmer during the day and towards the evening. Often times it is caused by the variation of cortisol. In his case, does the mood get worse some time after taking the drug or is it bad as soon as he wakes up. One thing you can try is to switch his drug schedule - try taking it at noon and see if the symptoms ramp up after. 

Digestion issues can also be a withdrawal problem or caused by the intense emotional issues he is having or changes in diet or even an H-Pylori infection. 

It is really hard to say what caused what right now. Such profound grief will impact one both psychologically and physically. Multiple drug changes can also impact one's body (trazodone, clonazepam, zoloft). Unless you are sure that the drug is causing ADR, I would hold off on tapering for a while. 

Also, the recommendations suggest lowering the dose every 4 weeks not every week (unless you are lowering only 2.5% a week). 

Please answer the questions above and we can try helping better. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Administrator

Hello, @Kato This has been going on for 5 years? Did you or your husband ever report this potential adverse reaction to your doctors? Did you read up on adverse effects of sertraline and clonazepam? See https://www.drugs.com/pro/sertraline.html and https://www.drugs.com/pro/clonazepam.html

When people are having potential adverse effects from their drugs, we ask them to do this for ALL drugs: 

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, Onmyway said:

It seems like the main problem which you are attributing to Zoloft right now seems to be the frequent urination which you think is keeping him awake and you think that, in turn, is partially the cause of his emotional struggles. 

Thanks for your reply!....Yes, frequent urination and retention. He can't pee it all out and is left with a feeling that there is still some in his bladder. He wakes up every two hours or more some nights, to pee. 

- you use "I" there but your post is about your husband. If we want to discuss your husband's case, the signature should be about his drugs, not yours.

I' sorry for the confusion. That is his signature. And he only took Trazodone for one week and then Klonopin a week too. Both increased his anxiety, especially Trazodone that gave him night sweats, warm during the day, and so angry he broke things. I will include them in the signature and the supplements he is taking: Chelated Zinc, Fish oil, magnesium threonate, and vitamin B12 

Have you considered other sources for this urination issues? At that age men can have prostate problems and/or obstructions (a friend had an obstruction in his urethra which caused similar problems). If you haven't done so, can you pls have these checked?

He did see a urologist two years ago for a prostate check and for frequent urination at night then. However, the frequency was not as bad then. The urologist said it was benignly large but should not be causing him frequent urination. He said it was cognitive and that my husband was worrying too much. My husband did make another appointment with another urologist but it's not until April. 

Has he had urination issues on Zoloft before

Kato said: 

He did have frequent urination at night and was irritable and lost a lot of weight in 2015... a month after he stopped taking 12.5 Zoloft. He was also under a lot of stress at work, not exercising much working at the computer all day long, and not eating well, drinking a lot of kombucha, eating lots of starchy foods ...I thought maybe his blood sugar was high. His father is diabetic and our son who died had fasting blood of 101 at 19. Perhaps, his Native American genes make them prone to Diabetes? My husband stopped eating all sugary foods and drinks and stopped drinking wine, which he had started doing in 2015, and a month later the doctor did test his fasting blood sugar and it was  in the normal range. Doctors I have talked to since then say it's very possible it was high and his change of diet brought it down to normal levels. During the time he wasn't sleeping well, and was still off Zoloft, he tried sleep meds, which didn't help him, and as mentioned on his signature, was then put back on Zoloft, eventually at 200 mg. plus Lithium and Remeron. Now he is taking 187 mg of Zoloft and supplements. He continued to wake up about twice at night but was able to sleep better. However, it gradually got worse and before our son died he was waking up about three times and sleeping in later and the urine retention started too, before our son died. Then, with the stress and grief of his death it has made everything worse for him. I forgot to mention that he was starting to eat a lot of starchy foods again and drink a lot of kombucha and not exercise as much. Maybe, it's  a combination of the medication and poor life style choices? There are studies that say people on SSRi's urinate more frequently at night, this is just one of a few I found: ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15794790/ and some that say retention can be a side effect of SSRis.

It is also not uncommon for people to have more agitation in the morning and then get calmer during the day and towards the evening. Often times it is caused by the variation of cortisol. In his case, does the mood get worse some time after taking the drug or is it bad as soon as he wakes up. One thing you can try is to switch his drug schedule - try taking it at noon and see if the symptoms ramp up after. 

He is calmer when he wakes up and about a half hour to hour after he takes it he changes and becomes more anxious. He behaves differently too...he says things that are not realistic or just acts odd in anger or grief. I know some of it is grief but I can't help to think that the medication is causing a lot of his anxiety and anguish. He also spends a lot of nervous energy doodling and drawing and that mostly eases by the end of the day. He is more level headed by the late afternoon and evening. Is it possible that 200 mg Zoloft is stronger on his nervous system after having lost 30 lbs since our son died at the end of last year? 

Digestion issues can also be a withdrawal problem or caused by the intense emotional issues he is having or changes in diet or even an H-Pylori infection. 

His digestion has usually always been off except when on the lower dose of Zoloft. Either small stools, constipation but definitely has gotten worse since taking the Trazadone it seems. That gave him a lot of gas too. He has also burped lots in the last years. 

It is really hard to say what caused what right now. Such profound grief will impact one both psychologically and physically. Multiple drug changes can also impact one's body (trazodone, clonazepam, zoloft). Unless you are sure that the drug is causing ADR, I would hold off on tapering for a while. 

My thinking is that if he tapered more perhaps his rest will improve and he can start healing? Perhaps his digestion improves too and he can better absorb nutrients? Yeah, your are right, we are not sure what is grief, what is the medication and what could be side effects. But it does seem to get worse after taking the medication and it seems counterintuitive to keep taking it at such a high dose especially since he has lost so much weight. He is willing to taper but doesn't want to taper too quickly. We did read in the tapering schedule that if there are no withdrawal symptoms you can taper a bit faster: Altostrate says: 

"You may be able to go a little faster with 10% decreases every 3 weeks or 2 weeks until you get about half-way down, then most people need to go slower."

Also, the recommendations suggest lowering the dose every 4 weeks not every week (unless you are lowering only 2.5% a week). 

We did read in the tapering schedule that if there are no withdrawal symptoms you can taper a bit faster: Altostrate says: 

"You may be able to go a little faster with 10% decreases every 3 weeks or 2 weeks until you get about half-way down, then most people need to go slower." 

So thankful to have you all to talk to about this. We appreciate it so much!

Ko

• Administrator

Hello, please answer my questions here 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Alto,

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

8 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hi Alto,

sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Thanks for the medication side effects links. It does look like he is having many of the side effects of Sertraline. Frequent urination is one of them but supposedly "less common" How do I report this? We mentioned it to the nurse practitioner he sees, but she didn't seem to think it was a side effect of the medication. 

He is also belching, agitated, anxious, has terrible digestion and tapping his foot nervously. The frequent urination started in 2015 but it did get better..was only waking up about two to three times, or he learned to cope with it by sleeping in. He works from home so he was able to sleep in and work later in the days. However, he wakes up more often now, it started getting worse before our son's death last year in the fall, but he just slept in late to make up for his lack of sleep. He then lost 30 pounds and our son died and sleeping became more difficult. Do you think the 200 mg of Zoloft may be harder on his body because of loosing 30 lbs? It seemed some of his symptoms got especially bad when taking Trazadone and then Klonepin. Agitation, anxiety, anger outbursts all increased them. But, he is also grieving. It's just that it is much more intense for him than for me and our other children. He can't work either. Can't concentrate. So, yes, urinating at night has been happening for a few years now, but it's very bad now. And the retention is fairly new. He wakes up now every two hours and then often can't get back to sleep, so he is also dealing with insomnia. I forgot to mention that he may have sleep apnea. He will see a sleep specialist in a week. 

Do you think after a week of 187 mg of Zoloft can he try175 mg? Yesterday is now a week. According to the tapering guide we should stick with it for a month, but I worry that he may get worse if he can't sleep. He is just so anxious. He is making sure now to exercise every day and cut out all sugar and is on an anti inflammatory diet. 

Thanks,

K

@Kato, please update the dates of trazodone and Clonazepam used and when those were discontinued as well as the daily notes that Alto requested. We need those before we can advise.

Please note that insomnia is a common withdrawal symptom as well so cutting the dose faster may not help that. 

Can you confirm that frequent urination has been a symptom for years but urine retention is new? Did urine retention coincide with any drug changes or other emotional or physical stress?

Please answer the questions so we can help you.

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, Kato said:

How do I report this?

report-your-withdrawal-symptoms-to-the-us-fda-and-other-government-agencies

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 1/20/2022 at 9:47 AM, Kato said:

Hello,

My husband is on 200 mg of Zoloft and for the past five years and for the past months has been waking up about every two hours during his sleep to urinate. He also has difficulty getting it out. Sometimes he wakes up and there is just a trickle. I have found some information on line that does lead me to believe urine retention can be a side effect of SSRIs, however his psychiatric nurse doesn't think so. Have others experienced this as a side effect of SSRI's or other antidepressants? 

He was considering tapering to help with his sleep however, we are also dealing with intense grief during this time because our son recently died a traumatic death. Both the psychiatric nurse nor I felt tapering was a good idea right now, but my husband was suggesting it. If he is open to it and willing to, should we support him in this decision?

My other question is would it be a good idea for him to taper if it helps him heal from urine retention and perhaps get better rest? The psychiatric nurse recently started him on Clonazepam and it seems his grief is more intense, he is more anxious and even talking about not wanting to live, which he did not do before the Clonazepam. 

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any guidance you might be able to share with me.

Kato

10 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Kato said:

Do you think the 200 mg of Zoloft may be harder on his body because of loosing 30 lbs? It seemed some of his symptoms got especially bad when taking Trazadone and then Klonepin. Agitation, anxiety, anger outbursts all increased them.

Over time, your body changes in the ways it will react to drugs. The three drugs also may have had bad interactions.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:09 AM, Kato said:

My main question is, now after a week of small taper to 187.5 from 200 mg. can we perhaps go to 175mg? He isn't feeling brain zaps, headaches....but he does have terrible digestion, constipation...although, this started after Trazadone was added to aid with sleep about a month ago. He only took it for a week and then stopped. However, he has struggled with poor digestion for many years.

Which symptoms got worse since he reduced to 187.5mg Zoloft?

It's very possible many of his symptoms have been adverse effects of Zoloft for many years.

Exactly what drugs are your husband taking now, at what times o'clock and dosages?

16 hours ago, Kato said:

We mentioned it to the nurse practitioner he sees, but she didn't seem to think it was a side effect of the medication. 

Unfortunately, it's not at all unusual to encounter a medical professional who is utterly clueless about adverse effects of psychiatric drugs. That is why this site exists.