Tranquility: anxiety, pills don't work enough - I want to stop taking but I'm scared

Tranquility

Hello.

I have suffered from anxiety depresssion, mostly severe anxiety, since 2011. I took a lot of antidepressants and usually had a lot of side effects so a have never had a remission. 

Now i take fluvoxamine and olanzapine. I still feel anxiety and apathy with fatigue connected to my symptoms, so i want to stop taking fluvoxamine. 

I really need help what to do. Is it fine to smoothly stop taking pills if have symptoms of anxiety or not?

Sorry for my English, it is not my native laguage. thank you so much for attention.

in my history: Paroxetin, venlafaxin, duloxetin, mirtazapine, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, olanzapine and others.

since 2020 fluvoxamine 150 mg and olanzapine from 5 to 1.25 mg and then i found this forum.

from November 2022 to July i reduced my dose of fluvoxamine from 1.5 pill to 0.5 pill (from 150mg to 50 mg) 

from April 2023 to July 2023 i redused olanzapin by weight from 0.025g to 0 25.07.2023 but started feel very very anxious and hard weakness, so i returned 0.010g 04.08.2023 and 0.015 26.08.2023 started feel better, had severeal absolutely happy days but overall feel anxiety approximately 3-5 points from 10 and there is attacks of extremely strong irritation when I want to destroy everything around and then I cry.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tranquility: anxiety, pills don't work enough - I want to stop taking but I'm scared

Hi @Tranquility

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site with members like you, trying to taper off medications or have tapered off. 

This is your main page where you will receive information, you'll be able to ask questions and meet member like yourself. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place.

How long did it take you to taper olanzapine from 5 mg to 1.25 mg? If you tapered more than 10% a month, that is a fast taper. We don't suggest any faster than that. If you tapered too fast that would cause a lot of anxiety. If that is the case, in my opinion I would hold before tapering anything until you stabilize and reduce the anxiety.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Here is some information about tapering off Fluvoxamine.

Brain Remodelling

Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, emotional numbness

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

We don't suggest any supplements but two. They seem to help calm the nervous system. If you would like to try them, try one at a time in a small amount, waiting a few days before trying the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you read the information, please reach out to us with any questions. I'm glad you found us.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank for the answer.

Actually i tapared olanzapin without any system. The reduction from 5 to 3,75 mg was relatively easy, but the future reduction was harder the lower the dose of olanzapine. I reduced 1/4 from pill.

I am on 1.25 mg approximately one year. 

I have taken omega, thank you. I can't take magnesium as it makes restless leg symptome worse. 

Thank you for links, i'm going to reduce fluvoxamin soon. I already have gelatine capsules and digital scale so i'm prepared), but i don't ready emotionally cause i have anxiety every day. 

I suppose, that fluvoxamine make me lazy. can it be true?

again, sorry for my english, i don't use google translit frequently, if you see my hard mistakes, please correct me.

in my history: Paroxetin, venlafaxin, duloxetin, mirtazapine, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, olanzapine and others.

since 2020 fluvoxamine 150 mg and olanzapine from 5 to 1.25 mg and then i found this forum.

from November 2022 to July i reduced my dose of fluvoxamine from 1.5 pill to 0.5 pill (from 150mg to 50 mg) 

from April 2023 to July 2023 i redused olanzapin by weight from 0.025g to 0 25.07.2023 but started feel very very anxious and hard weakness, so i returned 0.010g 04.08.2023 and 0.015 26.08.2023 started feel better, had severeal absolutely happy days but overall feel anxiety approximately 3-5 points from 10 and there is attacks of extremely strong irritation when I want to destroy everything around and then I cry.

@Tranquility

The lower you go on Olanzapine, the more symptoms you can have. Your body craves the Olanzapine, and you are not giving it what it wants, so it is "throwing a fit" by giving you anxiety.

I think you need to finish tapering off the Olanzapine before moving to the Fluvoxamine. You don't want to be tapering 2 drugs at the same time, because you don't know which drug at that point could be causing the problem.

You are doing fine with the translation, I can understand you fine. Thank you.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 1 year later...

Hello.

I did a bad thing. Cold turkey. I get of from approximately 1/8 from olanzapine 5mg to 0. I use digital scale, it was 0.15mg.

Now I have weakness, strong morning anxiety and some depression. 

I've read about resumption, may be it will be better for me. Besides, I gradually tapered fluvoxamine from 1.5 pill to 0.5 pill. During the dose reduction there were different days, both very bad and just wonderful, but now I feel bad, especially the first part of the day. 

I've decided to resume taking 0.010mg olanzapine today evening. I hope it will work for me, especially neuroleptics are more predictable than antidepressants. 

If someone read my posts, I want to know, how are you dealing with procrastination? Maybe there topics about this, or copy strategies. I always think that I have to do a lot of things, like machine))) but in reality I usually do a modest amount of everyday activities. I spend a lot of time in bed with my cell phone.  I want to do more, be more active. 

Even now I crashed but still torture myself with thoughts - you have to spend all your free time doing something or you are nothing. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have added some info to my signature.

My doctor sad me long time ago, that low dose of antidepressants can cause adverse reaction and i think if the dose of 50mg fluvoxamine is triggering me to feel nervous and anxious?

So i don't know what to do - increase dose of pills, or decrease fluvoxamine?

How can i rename my topic?

• Mentor
On 8/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, Tranquility said:

how are you dealing with procrastination? Maybe there topics about this, or copy strategies

Hello @Tranquility, here's some information that I hope will help you:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1203-overwhelmed-demotivated-apathetic-cannot-get-going-on-interest-or-action/

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion