Whey protein isolate and protein powder / shakes

Rate this topic

jr1985

I got my ordered free-form aminos yesterday. I wanted to ask, if anybody had felt some side-effects from taking broad based free-form aminos? or positive effects?

maybe I'm not asking it in the best topic, sorry for that.

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

Please read this topic. We are suggesting whey protein isolate INSTEAD of amino acids. Some people do not tolerate the amino acids very well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 7 months later...

sometimes i don't want to make a shake and drink too much liquid before bed. i found protein bars at whole foods from Rise that are just almonds, honey and whey protein isolate. they also have pea protein versions for the vegan folks.

http://store.risebar.com/product/almond-honey.html

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

I just have to add that I had a bad reaction to this. :(  I am so sensitive now. I used to tolerate whey protein drinks many other times during my life. I can't now. So strange. :(

Use with caution and don't despair if you just can't use it right now... sigh

Zoloft: 2002 - sometime 2003 CT
Celexa: 2004 - 2007 20 mg
Effexor XR: 2007 - 2009 300 mg!!!
Effexor XR: 2010 - 2011 tapered down to 18.75 mg, hard time with interdose withdrawal
Prozac: 2011 5 mg till October, then got more depressed tried to updose to 10mg for three days and I became suicidal and very ill
tapered to 2 mg then stopped Feb 20, 2012. Restarting Celexa 10mg March 2017 due to rough patch in my life (anxiety and depression).

Link to my intro page here

Also : was addicted to Klonopin 2004 - 2008, tapered in 2008. Still have on hand for panic, but rarely used.

Suspected mold infection living in moldy room 2012.

Supplements I take: Multi, probiotic, wild Alaskan salmon oil, C, D3, methylB12, niacinamide, whey protein isolate

Personally I couldn't tolerate the dairy in whey. I also tried freeform aminos but I think they were too high in glutamine. 

Has anyone had success with pea protein? It's supposedly the least allergenic protein powder. 

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

If you want to boost glutathione, a component of protein that aids healing, undenatured whey protein isolate is a good way to do it, says a sensible celebrity functional medicine doctor Mark Hyman http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/12/what-is-glutathione-and-how-do-i-get-more-of-it/

Supplementing glutathione itself alone does not help much, as it's destroyed by stomach acid.

A note about Immunocal:

Immunocal is an unremarkable undenatured whey protein isolate, sold via multi-level marketing, that is remarkably expensive.

Its manufacturer, Immunotec Inc., sponsored studies specifically tailored to get it approved as a "medical food" and reimbursed by health plans. Since no other undenatured whey protein isolates were in the studies, Immunocal came out the winner. That is why Immunocal is listed in the PDR and Immunotec can boast about its medical qualities.

Additional supporting "documentation" coming from Immunotec about Immunocal's superiority is speciously argued. This is a red flag for me.

Unlike other reputable manufacturers of undenatured whey protein isolates, Immunotec Inc. will not release the amino acid profile of Immunocal. If you contact them about this (and I recommend you do this if you doubt what I'm saying), you will be met with evasions -- another red flag.

My rule of thumb is: Never buy a supplement if you don't know what's in it.

One can only conclude that Immunocal is merely an overpriced and overentitled version of an ordinary undenatured whey protein isolate.

There are many similar high-quality products available; one is from NOW Foods, for example, and is far less expensive. If you want assurance of purity, you might want Metagenics Biopure -- at about a third of the cost of Immunocal. And Metagenics is straightforward about the ingredients http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/biopure-protein

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

If you want to boost glutathione, a component of protein that aids healing, undenatured whey protein isolate is a good way to do it, says a sensible celebrity functional medicine doctor Mark Hyman http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/12/what-is-glutathione-and-how-do-i-get-more-of-it/

Supplementing glutathione itself alone does not help much, as it's destroyed by stomach acid.

A note about Immunocal:

Immunocal is an unremarkable undenatured whey protein isolate, sold via multi-level marketing, that is remarkably expensive.

Its manufacturer, Immunotec Inc., sponsored studies specifically tailored to get it approved as a "medical food" and reimbursed by health plans. Since no other undenatured whey protein isolates were in the studies, Immunocal came out the winner. That is why Immunocal is listed in the PDR and Immunotec can boast about its medical qualities.

Additional supporting "documentation" coming from Immunotec about Immunocal's superiority is speciously argued. This is a red flag for me.

Unlike other reputable manufacturers of undenatured whey protein isolates, Immunotec Inc. will not release the amino acid profile of Immunocal. If you contact them about this (and I recommend you do this if you doubt what I'm saying), you will be met with evasions -- another red flag.

My rule of thumb is: Never buy a supplement if you don't know what's in it.

One can only conclude that Immunocal is merely an overpriced and overentitled version of an ordinary undenatured whey protein isolate.

There are many similar high-quality products available; one is from NOW Foods, for example, and is far less expensive. If you want assurance of purity, you might want Metagenics Biopure -- at about a third of the cost of Immunocal. And Metagenics is straightforward about the ingredients http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/biopure-protein

Alto - why can't I tolerate whey protein now? I had such severe bad symptoms while taking it. They were all the symptoms I had during my adverse reaction to Prozac. I couldn't stop having diarrhea! I had terrible evil moods and mood swings. I had absolutely no appetite. I stopped the whey protein and it went away in a few days.

My theory - I was absorbing a lot of tryptophan and it was converting to too much serotonin that my body could not handle, so I had all the ill effects of too much serotonin, which is what I felt durin gmy adversre reaction to prozac.

Will I ever be able to have whatever I want. I desperately need more protein I don't feel like I'm getting enough from food and I'm not abosrbing. These issues are ruining my life!

Effexor XR: 2010 - 2011 tapered down to 18.75 mg, hard time with interdose withdrawal
Prozac: 2011 5 mg till October, then got more depressed tried to updose to 10mg for three days and I became suicidal and very ill
tapered to 2 mg then stopped Feb 20, 2012. Restarting Celexa 10mg March 2017 due to rough patch in my life (anxiety and depression).

Also : was addicted to Klonopin 2004 - 2008, tapered in 2008. Still have on hand for panic, but rarely used.

Supplements I take: Multi, probiotic, wild Alaskan salmon oil, C, D3, methylB12, niacinamide, whey protein isolate

• Administrator

I don't know, Jason. The rule of thumb is: If something makes you feel worse, stop doing it. Could be your body isn't ready for it.

• 1 month later...

Just have to say that is so crazy. For the last two weeks of w/d, all I could do to get anything in my body was drink milk. I went through 4 gallons in six weeks.

However, the truth for me is that milk calms me. I drink a warm glass of milk before bed. I swear it helps. That's very interesting. Will pass on to my STL friends going through the same hell

Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition

Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.

11 weeks ago I qt quit invega

10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Progress not perfection!!

omgosh! do NOT drink protein shakes. DO NOT!!! i drank a whey protein shake for the FIRST time and had a HORRIBLE interaction with my ssri 2 days ago. i had to go to the doctor and everything. he said not to drink that and the shake wouldnt get out of my system for 2 whole days for me to drink plenty of water and for me to avoid caffeine. i literally felt like hell for 2 days. i felt weird, my temperature would fluctuate going from high to low but mostly high. i felt like i had the flu and i cried so much and considered going to the ER. today is day 3 and i feel actually normal again.. this reaction actually is what made me want to wean off my celexa. gonna start that today. its crazy the ineractions , reactions, and side effects ssri's can have with what seems like NORMAL things. who would have thought that whey protein shakes would have interacted with us so bad> 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is interesting, I'm glad I read this today.  I've been having green smoothies and adding whey protein, its been 5 days now.  At first they seemed to be helping, but today I've been hit by a wave of increased anxiety. 

Is the glutamate in protein powder the same a MSG?  Does anyone know?  I guess I will leave the power out today and consult Dr. Google.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

it may indicate that you don't process casein completely and it forms opioid peptides, which affect the brain's opioid receptors and act life morphin (causing psychiatric symptoms). 

google gluten free casein free diet, opioid peptides etc. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know, Jason. The rule of thumb is: If something makes you feel worse, stop doing it. Could be your body isn't ready for it.

I spoke with a rep at one of the local vitamin stores and she suggested I not ever take a cheap quality protein, which is what I was doing. I read on the other antidepressant support forum that some have had good success with a specific brand that is 100% organic from grass-fed cows with no hormones added and is an undenatured isolate formula. I recently started taking this - not everyday and at only half to 3/4 of a dose and slowly working up - and have felt no ill side effects. In fact I think it boosts my immune system and I'm getting more essential amino acids. Grandted I don't see any difference in my body, but it's good "insurance" to know I'm getting more healthy proteins. There are also no additives in this. It's simply undenatured whey protein isolate, some cocoa for flavor and that's about it. I'm going to try the vanilla one next, too. It's expensive, but it is worth it for now to try to get some more in me.

• Administrator

That sounds like a good product, although the highest priced product is not necessarily any better than the second- or third- highest priced product. NOW Whey Protein Isolate is high quality at a reasonable price.

It's best to look for supplements with minimal additives -- avoid preservatives and artificial flavorings.

My husband uses Mercola brand, and has suggested that I try it.  I seem so sensitive to things right now, I'm a little afraid.  Down the road a little, perhaps I will try a fraction of a serving and see if I react.  Right now, I'm trying to get squared away from other reactions :(  What portion of a serving might be reasonable to start with? (Keeping in mind I seem to react easily to supplements.)

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

My husband uses Mercola brand, and has suggested that I try it.  I seem so sensitive to things right now, I'm a little afraid.  Down the road a little, perhaps I will try a fraction of a serving and see if I react.  Right now, I'm trying to get squared away from other reactions :(  What portion of a serving might be reasonable to start with? (Keeping in mind I seem to react easily to supplements.)

Personally, I have found I have to start with 1/3 to 1/2 the starting dose and proceed very slowly.   Wait a minimum of 3 to 7 days to increase and again, do it very slowly.  

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Mercola's brand is expensive. I don't know the price off the top of my head, but it is a lot. See the post above from Alto about $$$$$ <> best quality, always. :) 

Thanks, compsports.  I was thinking maybe even less than that!  

Jason, I know Mercola is expensive, but it is what we have, and what my husband has been using for a long time.  There were certain things we were looking for--or more importantly, ingredients we did NOT want--to help my daughter through an illness.  My husband has continued using it.  We buy it in quantity, and it lasts a long time. Thanks for the tip, though.  It's always good to save $$$ when you can.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thanks, compsports.  I was thinking maybe even less than that!  

Jason, I know Mercola is expensive, but it is what we have, and what my husband has been using for a long time.  There were certain things we were looking for--or more importantly, ingredients we did NOT want--to help my daughter through an illness.  My husband has continued using it.  We buy it in quantity, and it lasts a long time. Thanks for the tip, though.  It's always good to save $$$ when you can.

Good! I'm glad that it's working out. Don't get me wrong. I spend more where I feel it necessary. This kind of supplement (protein) should definitely be one of the best you can get, and I'm sure his is! :)

Mercola himself is not a big fan of whey protein drinks. It is quite the fad out there among big, beefy jock types. But what people fail to realize is how neurotoxic some of the ingredients are in some of the proteins. I can no longer drink Muscle Milk for that very reason. I began to feel sick. I learned from a Mercola article that it's one of the worst on the market with regards to having neurotoxins!

I'm glad it's working for your family and that you have a system in place for purchasing it.

By the way, since I'm on here and reading about my brand, it's Blubonnet in case anyone wants to try. Thank goodness you can actually post brand names on this site. Heaven forbid we try to help each other with things that have worked... (laughs out loud)

• Administrator

A pricey brand called Metagenics makes supplements specifically for hypersensitive people.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! anyone tried protein shakes with tryptophan for WD from SSRI ?

Zink supplements or B6 supplements ?

What else food-wise  could help ?

now taking magnesium and Dvitamin and omega 3 ...

Gratefull to your response!

//A

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Use search in this forum regarding specific supplements.

Hi! anyone tried protein shakes with tryptophan for WD from SSRI ?

Zink supplements or B6 supplements ?

What else food-wise  could help ?

now taking magnesium and Dvitamin and omega 3 ...

Gratefull to your response!

//A

I take large amounts of zinc and vitamin B6. When effective, B6 should work within about three weeks. I am reading a book right now that has lots of nutritional/holistic advice, Rethinking Fatigue. Despite its title, it is really about stress. I got it electronically off Amazon. I have heard the book The Mood Cure talks a lot about amino acids. My new psychiatrist usually uses the amino acid supplement from genesaliving.com, but I haven't tried it. I am taking very high doses of inositol with alot of success for my benzo taper, but my sister and her son felt it caused depression for them. I have written about it in the inositol and sleep thread. I hope you can find something, or just the endurance, to get through this hard, hard time. Sometimes when I was tapering Wellbutrin I would just lie in bed and let depression or anxiety wash, wash, wash over me...and I would say to myself "bring it. I can wait longer than these feelings can stay." And amazingly, I was right. I also had many mornings of cryng "I can't do this" and amazingly I was wriong. Just stay with it, it will get better.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

One month ago, I tested soy protein powder and noticed to my great surprise that my symptoms became milder.

I have since taken 50-60 grams each day and it helps me to "survive" the worst symptoms I have today. Do you think it's dangerous in any way - could it adversely affect my recovery? It is only soy protein, no additives or sweeteners.

Thank you in advance, 

Imad

I started Effexor/venlafaxin august 2014: 1st year 75 mg 2nd year 37.5 mg.

Taper: first try 37.5 to 0 in one month. Second try: 18.75 to 0 in two months.

Completely off effexor since 26-11-2016 with severe withdrawals such as blurred/constrained vision, brain fog and vertigo.

• 10 months later...

Can anyone in the uk recommend a good whey isolate brand that can be brought here , that maybe the have tried with good results due to my lack of eating my doctor has recommended me trying some to bulk up a little also to get some amino acids in my body , I have looked on amazon and there are so many full of different things not sure what are the best , also how much do we start with I know the rule is to start low but what’s low thanks for your help 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Whey protein, imo is a marketing gimmick. You can get ample protein from  a reasonable diet, a large excess of protein isn’t  needed by the body and will only tax the kidneys. I remember taking whey protein products a number of years back and coming out in red rashes on my body - I ceased the shakes and the rashes cleared up. Moderation in everything. 

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2018 at 1:49 PM, Terry4949 said:

Can anyone in the uk recommend a good whey isolate brand that can be brought here , that maybe the have tried with good results due to my lack of eating my doctor has recommended me trying some to bulk up a little also to get some amino acids in my body , I have looked on amazon and there are so many full of different things not sure what are the best , also how much do we start with I know the rule is to start low but what’s low thanks for your help 

ive noticed eating food high in protein like chicken a few hours before sleep is helping sleep so ive bought some whey protein to see if that helps, just bought plain organic whey with no amino acids or anything it:

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/organic-whey-protein/11272855.html

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

• ChessieCat changed the title to Whey protein isolate and protein powder / shakes
  • 3 years later...

I have tried Whey isolate and I get much higher anxiety during withdrawal. Just a heads up. Just stop it if you get worse. Damn I'm sensitive to everything.

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

On 1/7/2022 at 2:26 AM, curiousnootropics said:

Damn I'm sensitive to everything.

God, I know the feeling. How are you getting on food wise?

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

2 hours ago, ThatOneGirlStitch said:

God, I know the feeling. How are you getting on food wise?

I had pizza and eat sugar last night. It was a extremely stupid mistake, have been having chest and stomach pains all day.

My diet consists of fish, broccoli, almonds, bananas, apples, kefir and oatmeal. I can not eat the rest. You?

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:

17 hours ago, curiousnootropics said:

I had pizza and eat sugar last night. It was a extremely stupid mistake, have been having chest and stomach pains all day.

My diet consists of fish, broccoli, almonds, bananas, apples, kefir and oatmeal. I can not eat the rest. You?

I have made the sugar mistake. That put me out. really wanted to gain weight.

my diet is bananas, kale, blueberries, spoon or two of peanut butter, only a small amount of protein powder, coconut oil, small amount of greek yogurt. I drink this in smoothie form. I can eat oatmeal but it fills me up fast and I want more calories. I think maybe I can eat chicken but protein is really hard to digest. It takes effort to try to see what I can eat.

Besides food sensitivities, do you still have an appetite? I lost mine. And I seem to get full quick. It also takes a while to digest. 

It's really fun eating the same food everyday, isn't it?

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

9 hours ago, ThatOneGirlStitch said:

I have made the sugar mistake. That put me out. really wanted to gain weight.

my diet is bananas, kale, blueberries, spoon or two of peanut butter, only a small amount of protein powder, coconut oil, small amount of greek yogurt. I drink this in smoothie form. I can eat oatmeal but it fills me up fast and I want more calories. I think maybe I can eat chicken but protein is really hard to digest. It takes effort to try to see what I can eat.

Besides food sensitivities, do you still have an appetite? I lost mine. And I seem to get full quick. It also takes a while to digest. 

It's really fun eating the same food everyday, isn't it?

Some days I have no appetite at all. It is just awful how it changes.

It could be worse I guess, I'm glad I can tolerate some foods. It would be bad if we react on everything. How are you doing now?

Tapering schedule:

8 hours ago, curiousnootropics said:

Some days I have no appetite at all. It is just awful how it changes.

It could be worse I guess, I'm glad I can tolerate some foods. It would be bad if we react on everything. How are you doing now?

I look forward to the day I can't see my ribs. Gaining weight is hard. But so far I managed to keep my weight stable. But yes you're right. I have seen worse.

Are you able to keep a healthy weight?

History:

On 1/11/2022 at 2:25 AM, ThatOneGirlStitch said:

I look forward to the day I can't see my ribs. Gaining weight is hard. But so far I managed to keep my weight stable. But yes you're right. I have seen worse.

Are you able to keep a healthy weight?

No, I got very fat from Zoloft 😕

Tapering schedule:

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy