Wilma: Cold turkey withdrawal Cipralex HELP!

Wilma

Hello all, 

I’m sure you all have an idea why I have found this forum my story is one of ignorance to the adverse effects of antidepressants. I had been taking Cipralex (Escitalopram) 20mg for around 12 years (between 10-15) to help with PMDD same dose for most of this time until 17th October 2021 I went cold turkey due to what I thought was serotonin syndrome. I’ll give a description of events. 

I was stable on Cipralex and didn’t think much about taking this little pill every day at all but over the last year or two I was aware that something was changing my mood was changing I put this down to peri-menopause and perhaps my PMDD worsening, I was feeling strange butterflies in my head at night at the beginning of the year then I had 3 months of headaches that started between 8-9pm (I took my medication every day at 5.30) then in July I had my first bout of depression/crying it went away only to return in August resolve and return in September. I thought it was PMDD so started injections to put me into chemical menopause.  I was still taking my Escitalopram but then realised that every time I took it within an hour my symptoms would get worse increasing by the day until I was very ill so I stopped cold turkey some of the symptoms stopped but after 3 days I started getting brain zaps, itching skin and some hyperarousal these symptoms had all gone by 6 week but since September I have been depressed with crying spells and suicidal ideation, as of last Monday 17th I have been a lot better tho I still have fast heart rate and tinnitus and still no appetite. I’m now think I may have pooped out on Escitalopram and started withdrawal while still taking medication and is this now a window? Any help or knowledge please?

Escitalopram 10 years- October 17th 2021. 
for PMDD. 
Cold turkey 20mg as of 17 th October 

Welcome @Wilma

I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering, but relieved you have found us. Thank you for creating a signature. Can you please add the dose you quit escitalopram at? Do I understand correctly that you are not taking anything else now?

It is likely after many years use that escitalopram was no longer having an effect. But quitting at a high dose can cause withdrawal symptoms.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

To learn more about antidepressants:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain 

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (interview)

Council for Evidence based Psychiatry

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics 

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• Kiasofia changed the title to Wilma: Cold turkey withdrawal Cipralex HELP!

Hi unfortunately I quit at 20mg as I was getting worse every time I took a tablet started to lose consciousness burning back felt like I was overdosing.  I’m frightened of what’s to come. 

for PMDD. 

5 hours ago, Wilma said:

I thought it was PMDD so started injections to put me into chemical menopause.  I was still taking my Escitalopram but then realised that every time I took it within an hour my symptoms would get worse

I don't know these injections, but there may have been a drug interaction with escitalopram. Are you still getting the injections?

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

I was having bad reaction before the injections I only started them 3 days before cold turkey 

for PMDD. 

Ok, if your symptoms are tolerable then it may be best to just take the time to heal. Otherwise low dose reinstatement (1mg) of the half as strong citalopram can be considered.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

I’ve just had a psychiatrist appointment he wants to put me on a non serotonin antidepressant I don’t know what to do!

for PMDD. 

As these drugs worsen people's recovery long term I advise against trying a different drug to manage symptoms.

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (interview)

Council for Evidence based Psychiatry

The exception is low dose reinstatement of the drug causing withdrawal as this is the only known "cure" for withdrawal. 20mg escitalopram is the maximum dose of the strongest SSRI. Reinstating 1mg of the half as strong citalopram would be a different matter, if you did indeed have serotonin syndrome.

Serotonin Syndrome or Serotonin Toxicity

If your current withdrawal symptoms are manageable then reinstatement might not be necessary either.

As this is a site for helping people come off drugs we cannot be of assistance in the process of starting new drugs or the consequences of doing this.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Thank you I think you’re right I’m going to try and get through this and be free of medication. 

for PMDD. 

Best wishes for recovery❤️

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 
Magnesium 

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Symptoms and self care topics 

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Little update on my wd. 
First three months beep depression, si, loss of appetite, tinnitus, elevated heart rate, nausea and lots of crying spells. Then a 5 day window then symptoms changed to tinnitus, rapid heartbeat, loss of appetite, nausea, anxiety, tingling, twitching muscles, chills, hot at night, insomnia these change in intensity daily with some ok days now in a 2nd day of feeling okish. 
I’m hopeful that getting windows is a good sign. X 

for PMDD. 

@Wilma surely it must be a good sign, keeping my fingers crossed for You and hoping that Your windows will be longer and longer :)

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• 1 month later...

12th February and 4 months and 3 weeks from ct. 

It’s been a struggle and I found it difficult to write down my symptoms as seeing them written down seemed to make things all too real BUT now I’m feeling strong enough. 
Over the last month I have made vast improvements my mental symptoms have dissipated (hopefully permanently) I still have physical symptoms but theses I can handle, my physical symptoms are headaches, tinnitus, jaw pain, sore throat, elevated heart rate, joint pain, muscle twitching, muscle cramps and tightness in muscles in my neck, shoulders and upper back. The mental symptoms were my worst symptoms I was suicidal for the first 3 months after ct, tho I had reached tolerance and had withdrawal symptoms before stopping my medication. I’m feel I’m very lucky that in my 5th month I’m getting my life back I’m functional again, I’m aware that this could be a long window but somehow it feels different only time will tell. This I now know will not beat me, even if a bad wave comes I now have the strength to ride it out in the knowledge I will recover. 

for PMDD.