MelissaF2022: Desperate to find answers

MelissaF2022

Back in the summer around July I thought it would be a great idea to stop a decade worth of Amitriptlian cold Turkey. I was/am suffering memory issues and a Dr thought it was due to the length of time on drug. I have horrid anxiety! So I got anxiety and stopping the med so I started again, stopped again bc I was anxious about being on it so I stopped again, then started again ect. Here I am maybe 6 months later and I’ve recently started having internal tremors. At first they stated when I went to bed and would wake, now I’m feeling them during the day. My PCP and neurologist say it’s just anxiety. They want me to stop Ami and start Zoloft. I’m anxious about doing that also! I have a few left over Xanax from a trip to Hawaii to calm my flying anxiety so when I take one my internal tremors fade. I can’t stay on Xanax long term so I’m anxious on correcting the internal vibrations so I can function without Xanax. My thoughts: 

Did I mess up my brain stopping and starting Amitriptlian? Do we think the internal tremors are from withdraw or reinstating the Ami? Or, can the Xanax be adding to the tremors when it’s leaving my system? I’m a dumpster fire anymore .. just want to function normally 

Thanks everyone! 

• ChessieCat changed the title to MelissaF2022: Desperate to find answers
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello @MelissaF2022

And welcome on SA.

I am sorry you are having such a rough time : know this is not permanent and our nervous systems have great healing abilities.

Could you complete your drug signature by clicking on this link : Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements. Also include supplements.

I understand that you have given the info in you posts above but this will appear below every post you make, and allow the Mods to see your history at a glance and give you the most accurate sugegstion we can.

Questions

-> How have your symptoms changed since you reinstated amitriptyline?
-> How much xanax do you take, at what dose and how often? (please also include these details in your signature)

-> How have your symptoms changed since you take xanax ?

You're not the only one in this situation, the symptoms you describe are common and are the result of a destabilization of the nervous system.

If you feel able to read, I invite you to take a look at these links which will allow you to better understand what is happening to you: 

1. how-psychiatric-drugs-remodel-your-brain

2. why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

3. -tips-for-tapering-off-amitriptyline

For the moment, I invite you not to change anything and to share with us your signature and the answers to the questions: this will allow us to better understand where you are and to see with you which paths can be relevant.

I send you my support, and the assurance that these feelings are not permanent, 
 Take care.

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Welcome, @MelissaF2022

On 1/26/2022 at 9:04 PM, MelissaF2022 said:

Did I mess up my brain stopping and starting Amitriptlian?

You developed severe withdrawal syndrome from amitriptyline cold turkey. All your treatment since then has been for symptoms of withdrawal.

What exactly are you taking now and when did you start taking it this time around?

What are your current symptoms? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for responding to me as I’m a nervous mess! 
what do you mean when you say “ all your treatment since then has been for symptoms of withdraw”? 
I’m taking 10mg of Ami at bedtime. I took Zoloft for 2 nights but I’ve decided today I’m not going to mix anything else in to this already disaster. My Dr called in Xanax when I become anxious and right before bed to try and stop the nighttime vibration.  Those typically come on 330-430am most nights this past week. The vibrations I have been feeling last 3 weeks most nights. I have been back on Ami consistently for about a month maybe. 
my symptoms during the day are feeling anxious inside but controllable. The nighttime vibrations/tremors petrify me and I can’t sleep after they start. I generally take a Xanax and can fall back to sleep within reason. 
tonight I took 10mg Ami and 2.5mg melatonin to try and sleep. 
my head has been hurting 5/6 out of 10 the last few days but I also had started Zoloft so maybe that was the cause there. I took Zoloft for 3 days but not today. 
I hope I haven’t done much damage to myself. How long will I prob have side effects ( mainly these vibrations) 

thank you!! 

• Administrator

What effect does this 10mg amitriptyline have on you?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It has worked great all this time for migraines. I stopped cold Turkey for few weeks, went back on and stopped again just a few days at a time. I’ve been back on them every night for a few weeks now. I just don’t know what the nighttime vibrations are from. I’m thinking a post covid symptom or from the inconsistency taking Ami. Hoping nothing serious 

• Administrator

I cannot follow your recent history. What are you taking now? In the last month, what dates did you take it? Does taking it make you feel better or worse?

When did you have covid?

I don’t have exact dates that I stopped cold Turkey but it was likely July 2021. I started back maybe Sept 2021. But was not consistent every night. Had covid first week Nov 2021. Fully vaccinated prior to covid and a very mild case. I have been consistently taking Ami 10mg for the last 2 months maybe. In Jan 2022 my daughter tested positive and I believe I had it for the 2nd time but test was negative but had congestion symptoms with her. About 3 weeks ago I started having vibrations in my chest, head and arms during the night, almost always around 330-430am. These at first were not nightly but the last week they have become every night between 330-430am. I do take .5 mg of Xanax to help calm me down and get back to sleep, helps for the most part. I’m worried though this could be more and I’m masking it with Xanax. I can take a nap during the day and not have those vibrations though which is strange to me. I do have horrible anxiety ( health anxiety) and have been labeled so by all Dr’s which scare me they will overlook me. The last 4 days I’ve had headaches. My PCP wanted me to take Zoloft. I took 12.5 for 2 nights and then 25mg 2 nights ago but I believe that’s where my headaches came from so I decided to not continue taking them, I did not take Zoloft last night. Should I up the Ami and try to even myself out again, add the Zoloft in, take nothing? Idk what to do at all. And as we have all seen, the Dr’s  just don’t understand this. I’ve been on Ami 11-12 years at 10mg, tried to stop last summer bc I’m having memory issues and Dr thinks I’ve been on Ami to long 

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd stop Zoloft and take 10mg amitriptyline again, see if you feel better.

Sorry, cannot answer additional questions until you summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature 

I didn’t take Zoloft last night and don’t plan to take anymore. My last question please if I may, I’m still on Ami 10mg and having these internal vibrations every night between 330-430, do you think this is just anxiety related? It feels like a vibration inside my body. Can a brain wake me at the same time every night in anxiety mode? How long until the Ami settles me out since I’m consistently back on them? Have you heard of Ami doing this to others? 
mom going to fill out the rest of my profile but I can’t figure it out, going to see if my daughter can help me 

thank you again! 

• Administrator

Sorry, cannot answer additional questions until you summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature 

Hi Melissa, I'm reading that vibrations are being reported as a long covid symptom.  Maybe that explains your situation?  I don't know when you got covid and when you started experiencing the vibrations, but that could be it.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/patient-safety-outcomes/vibrations-tremors-an-emerging-long-covid-19-symptom-for-some-patients.html#:~:text=Some physicians who work with,Street Journal reported Dec.

1995 - 2001 Wellbutrin & Effexor, 2001 Stop Effexor (CT), Start Celexa. 2009 Start Trazodone, 2010 Stop Celexa (fast taper), Start Cymbalta. 2014, 2016 Reductions in Dosages Cymbalta and Wellbutrin
2018 Started Slow Taper of Cymbalta from 30mg

2021 May Trazodone Dose drop from 75 to 50 - Started Muscle Cramping and Spasms
2021 July 5th Stopped Cymbalta After 3 YR Taper (No method, I removed beads based on how I was feeling.  Got down to 4 beads, or about 0.4mg before stopping)
2021 July 5th Stopped Wellbutrin cold turkey (was taking 75mg.  Over last week on Wellbutrin, I skipped days taking 100mg SR every other day).  Took last dose of Wellbutrin July 5th.  Severe WD Started July 17th.
2021 Aug 3rd:  Start Remeron 7.5mg at Night 

2021 Aug 23rd: Reinstated Wellbutrin 10mg AM / 10 mg PM, Stopped Remeron

2021 Aug 30th: Changed WB Dosing to 10mg AM / 5mg Mid Day / 8mg Early Evening

2021 Sept 1st: Reinstated Remeron 7.5mg for sleep

2021 Sept 14th: Changed WB to 10mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening, Jan 24: Changed WB to 9mg AM / 6mg Mid Day / 6mg PM

2021 Sept 21: Re-instated Cymbalta at 1 bead 2X a day, Oct 12:  Updosed to 2 beads AM, 1 bead PM, March 11:  Updosed 2 beads AM, 2 beads PM
Currently on Trazodone 50mg and Remeron 7.5mg.  Cymbalta 2 Beads (0.1mg) 2X Day 7AM and 6PM.  Wellbutrin 9mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening