SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Graytshrt3:Trying to stabilize from unsuccessful Lexapro taper

graytshrt3

Hi all,

I recently tried to taper off on Lexapro by myself because I was feeling like I didn't need it (haven't needed it) for a long time. I have been on it since 2006. I started my taper in November from 5 mg, and took my last 1.25 mg dose on December 31 after going several days without a dose (I know this is not what you advise, I didn't seek out this website until I started having problems with this unsuccessful taper.) About 10 days after that, there was a death in my family from COVID and on 1/18 began a period of intense and persistent insomnia, on several days not being able to fall asleep until 6:30 AM (I have never experienced anything like this evere.) Most days I have taken several hours to fall asleep, I just feel really alert. At the same time, I felt a return of intense anxiety and depression and depersonalization.

I restabilized myself at 1.25 mg on Monday and immediately felt an improvement in my mood and reduction in symptoms of depersonalization. My sleep continues to be fitful, however. Last night I fell asleep for the first time fairly quickly, but woke up around 3 AM and couldn't fall back asleep. I'm wondering if I should increase my dose further and if it would improve my sleep? I'm trying to now find a good psychiatrist to partner with on this but have not been able to find one yet and am just interested in trying to stabilize myself further and put off any tapering until I am in a healthier place. 

Thanks for any thoughts!

2006: 10 mg Lexapro prescribed

2006-2010: 10-20 mg Lexapro

~2010: stabilized at 10 mg

2016: attempted to taper off, restablized at 5 mg

2021: tried to tamper from 5 mg beginning 11/21, last dose of 1.25mg 12/31

1/24/2022: restabilized at 1.25 mg 

• Frogie changed the title to Graytshrt3:Trying to stabilize from unsuccessful Lexapro taper

Hi @graytshrt3

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site, with members like you that are tapering off their medications or have tapered off.

This is your page. This is where you will receive information, ask questions, and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Thank you so much for creating a signature page. It makes it so much easier for any of the moderators to come by and see what is going on.

I can tell you, without a doubt, you tapered way too fast. Only taking a month to taper off Lexapro is not enough time. We only suggest 10% a month, and some members even go slower. I did a four year taper off Lexapro and I went too fast at times.

I see that you have reinstated on January 24th, at 1.25 mg. That is a pretty high dose also, as Lexapro is known to be 4 times stronger than any other antidepressant. When reinstating Lexapro we usually suggest .5 mg and wait at least 10 days as it takes 4 days to get a steady dose in the bloodstream and a little longer for your brain to register. Since it's only been a couple of days since you reinstated, you could drop your dosage to 1 mg and see if that helps.

It is very difficult to find a dr or psychiatrist that knows about tapering off these medications because most don't believe in wd symptoms. You are your best advocate when talking with them.

I'm going to leave you with some links to read. When you are done, please reach out to us with any and all questions you may have. 

We don't suggest any supplements on here except 2. If you want to try them, try one at a time in a small dose, wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Here is some information on reinstating and tapering.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

One Theory of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

Brain Remodelling

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Melatonin

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

I think I have given you more than enough to get started. Like I said above, please read the links about tapering and reinstating. 

I'm glad you found us.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi, 

Thank you for this thoughtful response to my initial inquiry. I've been doing okay on the reinstated 1.25 mg, but am still feeling depressed and anxious compared to my baseline before I went off the drug. My sleep is better but not back where it was before. It's been about 10 days since I reinstated, should I consider updosing at this time? How much would you recommend?

Also, I didn't really see this reported elsewhere, but another possible side effect I noticed was receding gums?? It may not be related but the timelines definitely track. I've never had a problem before and developed tooth/gum pain the week after my last dose, which continued in severity until I reinstated, at which point it has pretty much vanished. Would it make sense for this to be a consequence of Lexapro withdrawal? I had never had dental issues before this.

Thank you!

2006: 10 mg Lexapro prescribed

2006-2010: 10-20 mg Lexapro

~2010: stabilized at 10 mg

2016: attempted to taper off, restablized at 5 mg

2021: tried to tamper from 5 mg beginning 11/21, last dose of 1.25mg 12/31

1/24/2022: restabilized at 1.25 mg 

@graytshrt3

You could try to updose to 1.50 mg and see if that brings any relief.

It will take about 7-10 days to feel any symptoms of the updose.

You might want to keep notes and post them on here so we can see how you are doing.

Keep Notes on Paper

You might want to see a dentist about the gum issue to make sure everything is ok. 

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.