Ja105: Mirtazapine and Duloxetine - Headaches/ head pressure daily

Ja105

Hi all

I've been on mirtazapine for nearly 2yrs, currently on 7.5mg.

Psych added in duloxetine 30mg last month.  Neither are helping me.

I have

Headpain/pressure all day daily.

Oscillating fatigue and anxiety 

Cognitive function impairment 

Communication problems 

How do you deal with head pain/ pressure all day??

Aside from wearing a cold compress and gentle walking nothing really helps.

Is it safe to taper off if the anxiety/depression is still very strong? I haven't had any improvement in the 2yrs . Drs tried lots of meds. None agree with me aside from mirtazapine that I got sleep with 5hrs but I cant function.

Would appreciate your advice 

Thankyou 

2008, 2011, 2014 amiltryptline 75mg 2017 mirtazapine 15mg 3mths

2019 mirtazapine 15mg, 30mg s

sertraline 4 days.  reboxetine

Zopiclone 1mt

2020 mirtazapine 15mg reinstated 

Quetiapine,  lamotrigine

Pregabalin

2021 mirtazapine 15mg to 30mg to 45mg no help. Reduced to 30mg to 15mg. Now on 7.5mg

Dec 21  30mg duloxetine added.  Dizziness. 

Jan 22. 7.5mg mirtazapine,  27mg duloxetine.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ja105: Headaches/ head pressure daily

Mirtazapine 7mg and Duloxetine 30mg

Hi All,

I've been on mirtazapine for 2yrs. doses from 7.5mg upto 45mg which haven't helped. I was unaware of 5% taper every 2wks. GP told me 45,30,15, 7.5 to do.. 

I am also on duloxetine last 5wks.

Neither are helping me so i want to come off the both.

I have head pressure, headpain/ head paresthesia daily all day, dizziness (from duloxetine) and cognitive function impairment, communication issues .

What helps with the head pressure / head pain?     I've tried ginger tea, meditation, gentle walks, epsom salt baths, cold compress nothing really takes it away.. its so bad I think life is not worth living at times.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Do the head pressure /head pain go as tapering goes down? I need some hope that this is the case.

thankyou

Ja

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Zopiclone 1mt

Quetiapine,  lamotrigine

Pregabalin

2021 mirtazapine 15mg to 30mg to 45mg no help. Reduced to 30mg to 15mg. Now on 7.5mg

Hello

Before i dive into my story and what i'm looking for help for i just thought i'd write and say hello to you all.

I tried creating a post a few days ago , and it said it was waiting for a moderator to approve it, but i can't see it now.

Anyhow ... hope this make it

best wishes

Ja

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Zopiclone 1mt

Quetiapine,  lamotrigine

Pregabalin

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ja105: Mirtazapine and Duloxetine - Headaches/ head pressure daily

@Ja105

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site with members as yourself going off or have gone off these types of medications.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Thank you so much for creating a signature, that helps tremendously! Could you just edit it a little with dates (approximate would be fine).

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

When exactly did you taper down from 45 mg to 7.5 mg? That is a very rapid taper. We only suggest a 10% a month taper, and quite a few members go much slower than than that. Most dr.'s don't understand the tapering process and ultimately, members end up as yourself.

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

I think a lot of your symptoms are coming from too fast a taper of the Mirtazapine.  If it's only been a short time, you could go up a small amount in dosage and see if that helps. But please let me know how long it has been. 

I'm going to leave you with some links that you might find useful.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brain Remodelling

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

After reading these links, please reach out to us with any questions you may have. I'm glad you found us.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.