SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Mark840: tapering Cymbalta

Mark840

Hi, I just joined and wishing to learn to be away from drugs. I tried to stop my medicine voluntarily but experienced withdrawal symptoms. I resumed medicine but with a low dose of 30mg Cymbalta.

I have been taking various medicine since 2011.

Sep-Dec '12: Cymbalta (60mg), Zyprexa (1.25 mg), Lexappo (5 mg), Wellbutrin SR (150mg); Dec '12-Apr '13: Lithium Carbonate Tab (150mg), Wellbutrin SR (150mg), Rivotril (1mg); May '13-Feb '15: no record; Mar '15-Aug '21: Cymbalta (60mg), Seroquel XR (50mg), Rivotril Tab (0.5mg); Jul-Sep '21: switched from private to government psychiatrist who changed my drugs to Cymbalta (60mg), Quentiapine (50mg)(IR); however, Quentiapine (50mg)(IR) led me to poor sleep; Oct '21: Due to poor sleep, I requested Cymbalta (60mg), Olanzapine (2.5mg), Rivotril Tab (0.5mg, when needed)

Critial Stage: Nov '21-Jan '22: ceased drugs voluntarily in Nov '21. No major issue an offensive remark triggered my anger. Anger was intense and lasted unusually long. End of Jan-Feb '22: Doctor reinstated me with Cymbalta (30mg) only on 29 Jan '22. However; without Olanzapine (2.5mg), it caused poor sleep; End of Feb-Jun '22: after too much poor sleep, doctor replaced Cymbalta (30 mg) with Remeron (15 mg); Jul '22: attempted to tapper off slowly by 10% of last dose. It resulted in weird dreams and poor sleep; Aug-17 Nov '22: Resumed exactly 15 mg. My sleep restorerd and no more weird dreams; 17 Nov-11 Dec '22: Started to wake up after 2-4 hours of sleep for unknown reason; 12 Dec '22-May 23: 3-6 hous of sleep, partly due to work stress; Jun-Aug '23: 3.5 to 4.5 hours hours of sleep; Sep '23-present: take mirtazapine in morning and it resolves my insomnia.

Welcome @Mark840

Thank you for creating a signature. Please add the date you quit cymbalta, what the dose was and the date you started 30mg. Is Cymbalta the only drug you take now?

If you were taking 60mg cymbalta in November and are now taking 30mg that is a very fast taper and you should not lower the dose anymore for at least a few months. What withdrawal symptoms did you experience? How have you felt since reastarting?

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

As there are common misconceptions about how these drugs work I found this post helpful to understand why it's important to reduce the dose gradually:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain 

Coming off these drugs can cause many different withdrawal symptoms, often leading to doctors thinking the original condition is returning or that another mental illness has emerged.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics 

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• Kiasofia changed the title to Mark840: Tapering cymbalta

Thank you Kiasofia.

I have added the details in my signature now. Currently Cymbalta 30 mg is the only one I am taking. This was suggested by my public hospital psychiatrist (every time is a different doctor when I visit due to the nature of the public hospital system).

I have been taking Cymbalta 60 mg since 2012, with various medicines changed during that time.

After I ceased medicine completely in November 2021, the only immediate side effect was nausea that lasted for a day only. It was all well until a friend offended me with an insensitive remark on 19 December 2021. The anger took about 3 weeks to subside (based on blood pressure monitoring). Unfortunately, there were other negative events that triggered me before I could got over it completely. It caused me to be angry again, then depressed, troubled sleeping and focusing on work.

I decided to take Cymbalta 60 mg and Olenza 1.25 mg on 24 January 2022; however, I woke up after 4 hours of sleep due to the Cymbalta side effect of sleep disturbane. The depression was somewhat lifted but I had sleeplessness. I stopped taking it the next day not wanting to experience the sleep issue. However, I had sleep issue again probably due to family conflicts.

I consulted the public hospital psychiatrist, and she advised to start with Cymbalta 30 mg at night. She also gave clonezapam if I should be angry (I avoid taking it).

I take Cymbalta 30 mg in the morning since 29 January 2022 instead in order to sleep better at night (contrary to doctor's advice to take it at night but I did not want to argue with them).

So far I am doing fine now. Let's see how this goes. Thank you for the links.

Sep-Dec '12: Cymbalta (60mg), Zyprexa (1.25 mg), Lexappo (5 mg), Wellbutrin SR (150mg); Dec '12-Apr '13: Lithium Carbonate Tab (150mg), Wellbutrin SR (150mg), Rivotril (1mg); May '13-Feb '15: no record; Mar '15-Aug '21: Cymbalta (60mg), Seroquel XR (50mg), Rivotril Tab (0.5mg); Jul-Sep '21: switched from private to government psychiatrist who changed my drugs to Cymbalta (60mg), Quentiapine (50mg)(IR); however, Quentiapine (50mg)(IR) led me to poor sleep; Oct '21: Due to poor sleep, I requested Cymbalta (60mg), Olanzapine (2.5mg), Rivotril Tab (0.5mg, when needed)

Critial Stage: Nov '21-Jan '22: ceased drugs voluntarily in Nov '21. No major issue an offensive remark triggered my anger. Anger was intense and lasted unusually long. End of Jan-Feb '22: Doctor reinstated me with Cymbalta (30mg) only on 29 Jan '22. However; without Olanzapine (2.5mg), it caused poor sleep; End of Feb-Jun '22: after too much poor sleep, doctor replaced Cymbalta (30 mg) with Remeron (15 mg); Jul '22: attempted to tapper off slowly by 10% of last dose. It resulted in weird dreams and poor sleep; Aug-17 Nov '22: Resumed exactly 15 mg. My sleep restorerd and no more weird dreams; 17 Nov-11 Dec '22: Started to wake up after 2-4 hours of sleep for unknown reason; 12 Dec '22-May 23: 3-6 hous of sleep, partly due to work stress; Jun-Aug '23: 3.5 to 4.5 hours hours of sleep; Sep '23-present: take mirtazapine in morning and it resolves my insomnia.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has experienced nervousness/anxiety as a withdrawal symptom of Cymbalta here.

Yes, it is a very common withdrawal symptom from all psych drugs.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well. To find things on the forum I find the easiest is to type "survivingantidepressants.org + what you're searching for" into a search engine.

You can search for others tapering Cymbalta and symptoms as well as coping strategies.

Acknowledge, Accept, Float

EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Pranayama Breathing for Anxiety and Depression

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I wish to let you all know I had trouble sleeping well. I basically had a light sleep of 4-5 hours for a month. I could not tolerate the sleepless nights anymore. After consulting with the doctor, she has changed the drug of Cymbalta 30 mg to Rameron 15 mg.

I did not try Rameron immediately. I ceased taking Cymbalta/any drugs to give my body a rest before taking a new one. I also thought my insomnia would go away but to my surprise it did not. After 3 days of unsuccessful sleep with no drugs, I began Rameron on 1 March. It helped with my sleep, although I gained weight for the time being.

I've experienced the same issues (insomnia) and more when trying to wean Cymbalta too quickly.  Cymbalta is nearly impossible to withdraw from - unless you do it very, very, slowly.  I learned this the "hard way" - went cold turkey and landed in the hospital.  I'm now tapering slowly per a protocol I discovered http://www.healingamericanow.com/.  This is legitimate and it works.  (There's information and a calculator to use for weaning).  In any case, I've tried to accelerate the wean and every time I suffer enough to go back to the slow way.  

Finally, based on Scientific Study, even at 5 mg of Cymbalta, there's a ~45% level of SERT Occupation in the receptors (this is the mechanism of action).  Hope this info helps.

Hanginin

• Started antidepressant/antianxiety drugs ~ 30 years ago - various (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Buspar)
  • Currently taking/weaning off Cymbalta - down to ~10mg - after taking it for 14 years straight.
  • Tried going off Cymbalta "cold turkey" in 2014 - resulted in severe withdrawal symptoms that landed me in hospital for 2 weeks, after which I went back on Cymbalta 30 mg; Klonopin was added (weaned off the latter 6 months later).

Hi @Mark840 I am also struggling with Cymbalta. As you can see, I tried to cut it but I couldn't, so I reinstated 30 mg instead of 60.

Sleeping troubles are common, but so far I can manage. I was wondering if you have ever faced (or you know anyone) WD symptoms such as pain in the left arm / shoulder / foot (only left side, not right), particularly after eating.

2004-2006 Fluoxetine 20 mg. Tapered and got off successfully.

2008 - November 2021 Cymbalta 60 mg

November 2021 - January 2022 cold turkey

Feb 2022 reinstated Cymbalta, 10 mg to cope with withdrawal. Managed to readapt and stabilize well after 3-4 weeks. 

Apr 2022 - August 2023 - Tapered 10 % every 2 weeks, no particular symptoms. In the meantime, I went running 3 times a week and used magnesium supplements.

August 2023 - November 2023 - meds free. No symptoms.

November 2023 - Mentally ok, no depression whatsoever, but lots of fatigue with bowel irritation, pain, constipation, difficulty to rest properly. Possibly (but not only necessarily) triggered by an extremely stressful time at work + home. Reinstated 2 mg to alleviate symptoms, more or less working.

Hi Riccardo, nice to connect with you. I've not experienced pain in my left arm, shoulder or foot. Before this, I could take Cymbalta fine and gradually ceased taking it. However, after a negative experience that triggered my unusual anger lasting for a few weeks, I restarted it, but the effect was not the same.

The main troubling symptom was sleepless nights, which I replaced it with mirtazapine. It helped, but not good enough for a good deep sleep. I then had to take clonezapam. For the past few days, I could sleep better. Let's see how it goes.

I see you went cold turkey for 3 months. I assume you experienced pain on the left side of your limbs, is it?

Hi @Mark840 glad to connect with you as well.

I do agree about the sleepless nights. Now even if I am with Cymbalta 30 mg my sleep is pretty messed up. Nevertheless, I manage to be productive enough during the day, it's just annoying not to be able to have a good and deep rest at night.

I am sorry that you had a negative experience, had to reinstate Cymbalta and the effect was not the same anymore, I hope you are going to be able to solve everything soon and recover.

Yes, my pain is on the left side of my limbs, the right part is not really impacted. Although in the last days it improved a bit. it is clearly a withdrawal symptom, I am 100% sure about it now. Have you ever heard about such a thing?

Feb 2022 reinstated Cymbalta, 10 mg to cope with withdrawal. Managed to readapt and stabilize well after 3-4 weeks. 

Apr 2022 - August 2023 - Tapered 10 % every 2 weeks, no particular symptoms. In the meantime, I went running 3 times a week and used magnesium supplements.

November 2023 - Mentally ok, no depression whatsoever, but lots of fatigue with bowel irritation, pain, constipation, difficulty to rest properly. Possibly (but not only necessarily) triggered by an extremely stressful time at work + home. Reinstated 2 mg to alleviate symptoms, more or less working.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Riccardo,

Sorry, I overlooked your question as I am on this site again. I don't know anyone who's on psychiatric drugs. The psychiatrists would say the side effects are relapse, which we don't agree. I guess that's what led me to this site.

How have you been anyway?

From Cymbalta to Remeron. Tapering.

Hi,

After going cold turkey and reinstating Cymbalta, I had insomia. The doctor replaced it with Remeron (15 mg). I have been on it since 25 February 2022, and coping well.

I woud appreciate advice on tapering this new drug.

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@Mark840

Hi 

Congratulations on getting off Cymbalta.  Not Easy at all.  

I had the joy of coming off mirtazipine in 2020, after dropping Preg and Quetiapine-). 

I have to say that it wasn’t too difficult.  I stopped it cos it caused high cholesterol and a severe bradycardia of 30-40 beats per minute. 

I don’t think it helped sleep at 15 mg and it gave me night terrors.. 

@ChessieCat has give you a good link.  For me the key was coming down slowly to 7.5 and holding for several weeks and then going to 3.75  by  approx 10% tapering. Needed to reinstate x 1 by a third for a week. 

I insisted on liquid mirtazipine there after and reduced really slowly to 2mg and jumped off. 

My guts were a bit sensitive for a while, and as mirtazipine is an antihistamine, I went on a low histamine diet to settle things.  

The cardiac issue resolved without having a pace maker. 

I hope you do well and don’t rush it.  

Best wishes 

OldDodgy 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The important thing when tapering is to listen to your body/symptoms and hold for longer if you are not stable.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi @Mark840 I am quite well, thanks for asking. The last 2 weeks were quite good, since yesterday I feel a bit worse, possibly due to some tiredness (I had a long trip by car).

I am aware that while tapering there can be small setbacks and things are not always smooth. It can even be that some additional / new withdrawal symptoms appear after some weeks, so I will remain vigilant.

You managed to quite Cymbalta (good for you, really, I hope someday to be able as well..) - how do you cope with Remeron? May I ask you which side effects is giving you (if any)?

@Riccardo

Hi 

re mirtazipine- I found night terrors a problem and on reducing the guts were a bit up and down. 
A low histamine diet helps. 
Best wishes 

OD 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

Hi All,

It's already been some weeks that I have been on Cymbalta 30 mg and I am starting to feel again some WD symptoms (including a bit of left arm pain + tingling, but no chest / heart pain so far, which is good, as it was the main problem when I went CT - scary - and led me to reinstate).

Also, I am definitely experiencing some dizziness + fatigue during the day, with mild headache. Nothing unbearable at the moment, but that tells me that I may be experiencing a "wave" and I should be prepared for some discomfort unfortunately (hopefully not messed up like when I went CT).

I guess it's difficult to tell, but in your experience, can these waves last for a very long time? Maybe it's a silly question, I know, but I always try, at least, to get info so that I can approach better uncomfortable situations...

As for sure my body is healing, I know that this is part of the stabilizing process, so if it's really not too painful, I will hang on, waiting patiently for a window, being confident in some improvements.

Side question: do you think caffeine can play a bad role in this? It is worth mentioning that for many years, while feeling fine on Cymbalta 60 mg I was drinking 3 coffees / day average, now I switched just to a small one in the morning.

Or can caffeine even help handling the tiredness due to WD?

Thanks to anyone who will reply.

@Riccardo

I dunno what the SA group ideas are on caffeine but I have always avoided it in any form including chocolate with advice from previous group. 
Yours 

OD 

Riccardo....maybe you're experiencing caffeine withdrawal.  Switching from 3 cups of coffee to just one is signficant.  I have experienced this myself...fatigue when going off coffee at one point.  Coffee has an average of 150 mg of caffeine per cup - so essentially, you went from 450 to just 150 mg.  That has an effect for sure.

Hanginin

• Started antidepressant/antianxiety drugs ~ 30 years ago - various (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Buspar)
  • Currently taking/weaning off Cymbalta - down to ~10mg - after taking it for 14 years straight.
  • Tried going off Cymbalta "cold turkey" in 2014 - resulted in severe withdrawal symptoms that landed me in hospital for 2 weeks, after which I went back on Cymbalta 30 mg; Klonopin was added (weaned off the latter 6 months later).
2 hours ago, Hangingin said:

Riccardo....maybe you're experiencing caffeine withdrawal.  Switching from 3 cups of coffee to just one is signficant.  I have experienced this myself...fatigue when going off coffee at one point.  Coffee has an average of 150 mg of caffeine per cup - so essentially, you went from 450 to just 150 mg.  That has an effect for sure.

@Riccardo

Well spotted @Hanginginthere

Worth Googling Caffeine withdrawal.     I learn something new every day on this site. Hope you get it sorted. 

OldDodgy 

On 3/21/2022 at 5:19 PM, Riccardo said:

Hi @Mark840 I am quite well, thanks for asking. The last 2 weeks were quite good, since yesterday I feel a bit worse, possibly due to some tiredness (I had a long trip by car).

I am aware that while tapering there can be small setbacks and things are not always smooth. It can even be that some additional / new withdrawal symptoms appear after some weeks, so I will remain vigilant.

You managed to quite Cymbalta (good for you, really, I hope someday to be able as well..) - how do you cope with Remeron? May I ask you which side effects is giving you (if any)?

I actually did not quit Cymbalta well. I stopped for 2 months and went back to Cymbalta alone, but it caused insomnia. Then I took Olanzapine (low dose), which was my original prescription, but I was reluctant to increase my Olanzapine higher. For about 3 weeks of unsuccessful reinstating Cymbalta, the doctor replaced it with Omeron. So far I am stable now. I will be more careful if I do tapper off again.

The main side effect appears to be weight gain, and a bit of drowsiness in the morning.

Life is tough when work is demanding, and tappering off unsuccessfully upsets my work. I am fortunately I am still in my job after going through an awful 3 weeks of insomnia. Before this, it was high level anger, which I was consciously aware it lasted too long. Later on, I concluded it was due to withdrawal symptoms. Because of this, I did some research about it, and found this website. I am grateful of everyone here.

@Riccardo

Just to reassure you I came off mirtazipine ok. I had also come off quetiapine and pregabalin. 

With mirtazipine a low histamine and low glutamate diet was advised on my previous site. 

Good wishes 

OldDodgy 

Today I felt anxious. Work has also been stressful, where I have to work long hours and cope with unfriendly colleagues' remarks. I wonder if the drug made me feel like this. It is hard to tell, but certainly my social anxiety was strong that I feel disturbed.

Other days were fine. I supposed this was how I ended up with psychiatric drugs, where I thought it would help me cope with life better. I am tempted to think more, but I know now it does not help.

@Mark840

I am sorry to hear that. Also my work can be stressful, with often long hours and "not so competent" colleagues, which do not make it easier. I think that the drug / withdrawal impacts us in this sense; 

I experience myself days where I already wake up anxious about work (although, thinking rationally, there is really nothing to be worried about!); unfortunately our mind, in this sense, is playing tricks. I think the more we learn to take the right approach to these situations, the less difficult life can get. That's also part of "shaping" our brain. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends, I'm experiencing strong anxiety of work criticisms somewhere last month. The work is no longer a safe environment for my emotions, as I've developed a fear towards my superior and colleague. I'm looking for a new job, probably at a church, where I expect it to be less stressful.

The problem now is I'm anxious of what bad things are going to happen too much, like today, where it's a holiday and no one contacted me, but I'm nervous.

I wonder though if it's due to change of drugs few months that I'm experiencing this, or if it's just me. I find it hard to tell. I just wish I can live without working with anyone.

Hello,

I can relate to what you are saying - I have similar issues related to work and emotions getting out of control - and getting very triggered constantly lately. Like you, I'm in a toxic work situation that's getting worse.

Nonetheless, it does seems that, in the last several years, the emotional fallout has intensified as I taper off Cymbalta (albeit slowly, according to protocol).  I believe that not having a consistent level of the drug in my system - as it effectively numbed a lot of things generally speaking.  In any case...

I'm working hard (meditation, yoga, walks, and therapy) to heal.  Some days are worse than others....

I too wish very much I didn't have to work to survive...but right now, it's how it is for me.   I wish you find some semblance of peace.   

Hanginin

@Mark840

I have been having some sessions with a very experienced counsellor who took only a few sessions to note that my chronic anxiety was due to earlier work pressures. 

I hadn’t realised that essentially I was abused by my seniors and colleagues in the NHS and that even in retirement I had continued to allow folk to treat me thus. 

She encouraged me to read a book called “Boundaries” . It was a real eye opener and I was able to set my own realistic boundaries and enabled me to spot those which others were breaching and causing me problems. 

Best wishes 

OldDodgy

@Mark840

I believe the fact you recently changed drugs can have an impact; under stressful conditions, if we are not fully stable, we tend to amplify negative / anxious feelings, it happened to me this winter because of work as well.

Can't give too many advices as everyone is different and whatever works for me, might not work for you and opposite.

When you feel that suffocating anxiety, try hard to remember that whatever the tough situation you are facing is, in reality it's probably not even remotely as bad as it is in your mind, it's just your brain giving you an amplified feeling and suggesting you something is a bigger problem than it actually might be; fight it back rationally, tell yourself (it's just my brain, in reality, this is not as bad as I feel it). It can't always do the trick, but in the long term, I believe it helps "reshaping" your brain, "rewiring" it if you want, coming to terms with our inner conflicts. This works a bit for me.

From a practical point of view, magnesium supplements helped me. After 4-5 weeks I started feeling the benefits, so I would recommend it. 

Wish you nothing but peace and stability.

Gosh thanks much Riccardo (even though you may have been responding to "Mark840".  Yes, agree the anxiety amplifies things..

Hanginin

@Hangingin I think it's more like our brain, unfortunately, does not work always the way it should, amplifying bad feelings triggered by any event to which we may be sensitive; that leads to anxiety. Maybe the same situations, with a 100% balanced brain chemistry, would still upset us, but less. Now whenever I feel myself anxious, or nervous, I always ask myself why; there is always an explanation, a trigger.

Maybe sometimes it is not so obvious, but I usually manage to figure out why I'm upset (sometimes even the weather getting worse, a noise, an unpleasant conversation, literally anything can be the reason). Then the question is "is this triggering event really proportional to my bad feelings?". You may be surprised how many times the answer is simply "no".  

Of course this is something that can be done only in controlled tapering conditions, slowly, allowing your brain to heal, taking time. When I went cold turkey none of the above could be applied - when you are in such pain, there is not enough willpower and self-analysis in the world to control yourself. 

@Riccardo I agree with what you're saying.  I'm aware of the many things that "trigger" me - as a trauma survivor, I've worked with a trained practitioner to discover and heal from this.  The chemicals / and weaning do compound things for sure.   However, as you stated, I imagine I'd still get affected by certain outside "stimuli" given my nature (so to speak), genetics, environment growing up and so forth....

Slow and steady with the wean, plus various tools (meditation, yoga, exercise, supplements, and even naps in the afternoon) have been key for me.  I'm fortunate to work remotely so I can work these things into my routine.  

Hanginin

@Mark840

Hi 

Just hoping the anxiety has been less for you this week. 
Are you still on mirtazipine 15?  
OD 

Hi OD, thanks for asking. Yes, still on 15 mg Mirtazipine. I try to be mindful of my thoughts and feelings to control my anxiety. These few days were okay.

I'm glad the weekend is here. I'll try to reflect my thoughts and feelings of why I'm so anxious (other symptoms like losing sleep, chest pain because of excessive stress). Is it because of the drug change (a possibility since I was on Cymbalta for 10 years), or I'm really afraid of the colleagues' emotional reactions, or both?

Should I try to go back to my previous drugs, Cymbalta and olanzapine, by my initiative, which might lead me to insomnia while I cope with work demand, or I should continue Mirtazapine and try training my mind (e.g., see counsellor, exercise, reflection) to control the fear?

@Mark840

By and large I don’t think changing again is considered a good idea.  

My experience with mirtazipine was that for anxiety and sleep 7.5 was optimal. However you may not want to reduce mirtazipine for a few months. 

I didn’t have option to have a gap but I think SA recommend one. 

As for the fear and threat you feel from your colleagues I have found a “Person centred counsellor” to be very helpful. Non judgmental clarification of your feelings is very empowering! And they have other skills too. 
Yours
OD 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends,

My anxiety is no longer about my colleagues anymore, but also about ordinary things, such as sitting on the wrong bus seat (the bus passenger asked me gentlely to vacate the seat). I felt embarassed but the feeling was intense.

I am also irratable easily, even though it was a leisure activity discussion.

I seem to be sensitive or moody in general now. At least though, I am aware my feelings are too strong for such minor matters.