ranchy: My Story & Seroquel Taper Hell

ranchy

Hi all, 

I have felt very validated for the first time in years stumbling upon this site! 

At 12, I was put onto seroquel 300mg. I was experiencing significant life stressors at the time and having behavioral issues in school. From 12-18, I was placed on easily 20 different medications. Seroquel, I was never able to get off of.

Today, I’m 23. I binge eat on seroquel. I feel sedated and lethargic on seroquel. I have felt like a zombie for the past 12 years of my life. I don’t know what to do, as I have lied awake for up to 3 days when I have had less than 100mg. 

Due to my irritability and lack of sleep while withdrawing- My therapist and psychiatrist proceed to think that I am either manic or depressed, and the solution must more seroquel. 

It is such a viscous cycle. I have felt so small, as those with MDs and PHDs have made what I have had to say out to be illness. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to ranchy: My Story & Seroquel Taper Hell

@ranchy

Welcome to SA.

Before we get started, could you please create a signature. Just do the best you can with what you remember the last 18-24 months. That would be great.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

One of the most commonly reported side effects of Seroquel is weight gain and being tired. That is why dr.'s prescribe it for a sleep aid. Were you prescribed Seroquel for depression?

How have you tried in the past to taper off of it? It can be tapered off of. Here we don't suggest more than 10% a month here.

tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine

I'm going to provide you with some other links that might be helpful to you.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here except 2. They seem to calming to some people nervous system. If you would like to try one, try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Please reach out to us with any questions you may have. I'm glad you found us.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.