Cold Turkey Withdrawal

zibius

@Jilla

You might read carefully through this topic and ask your question there instead:

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Thanks for this. Due to a long delay last summer between my pharmacy and my Dr’s office, I went 2 weeks without Lexapro. I stupidly decided to just stop taking it. Other than depression and crying spells, I thought I was ok. It didn’t really hit me until a few months later. It’s been difficult to deal with. I’m angry at myself for putting myself through it all. My Dr wants to reinstate or add another a/d, and I’m really hesitant. I’ve read that it can just make things worse. It’s already been almost a year. 
Anyhow, I feel like there is a lot of shame directed towards those who c/t. I certainly regret it, but I can’t change it. Sending support to all. 

Effexor XR: 1998-2000, 2003-2008. Pooped out. 

Celexa: 2004-2007, Topamax: 2004-2007, Lamictal: 2004-2006. 

Cipralex 20mg: 2008-2021. Foolishly ct’d July 2021. Had delayed withdrawal. 

Bupropion 150XL 2004-2006, 2013-present, taken at 6am

Seroquel 25mg: 2008-present, taken 9pm

Alprazolam 0.5mg: 2014-2022. Crossed over to 10mg diazepam for tapering as per Ashton. 
Diazepam: 3.5mg at 6am and 5pm (as of Dec 31, 2022). 

@Untethered I don't think there's any shame in CTing. Prescribers have a responsibility to warn their patients about the consequences of stopping their medication abruptly, but few do. You see a lot of stories of people on this forum who just didn't know, and why should they? It's the responsibility of the doctor to inform them of the risks the medication poses.

The shame is on the drug companies who obfuscate the risks of these drugs and the doctors who don't take withdrawal seriously. The shame is on a culture that pathologizes human suffering and sees it as a medical problem in the first place. 

The shame isn't on you though. Keep safe and keep going, I hope your healing comes soon.

1998- Fluoxetine

2012- One dose of Escitalopram causes suicidal ideation. Started Venlafaxine. Successfully discontinued using a Fluoxetine bridge.

December 2021- 4 days of 5-HTP. Had some severe dysphoric symptoms trying to discontinue. Started Fluoxetine 10mg. Provided with five 1mg doses of Ativan as well.

January 6th- Continued to take Fluoxetine 10mg. Experienced deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 9th- 5mg dose. Experiencing deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 10th- Quit Fluoxerine CT

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, Scrountz said:

Prescribers have a responsibility to warn their patients about the consequences of stopping their medication abruptly

Something that I have noticed is that when you get a prescription filled these days you do not get the patient leaflet with it.  For my drug Pristiq, the patient leaflet states not to stop the drug abruptly.  It is also says not to cut the tablet.  Only 25mg, 50mg and 100mg Pristiq is made, and in Australia our TGA has not approved 25mg.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

13 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Something that I have noticed is that when you get a prescription filled these days you do not get the patient leaflet with it.  For my drug Pristiq, the patient leaflet states not to stop the drug abruptly.  It is also says not to cut the tablet.  Only 25mg, 50mg and 100mg Pristiq is made, and in Australia our TGA has not approved 25mg.

When I was prescribed Fluoxetine with a few Ativan, the pharmacist briefly met with me to discuss the medication, but describes the Ativan as "one that will make you feel better temporarily but won't solve the problem" and the Fluoxetine as "one that will solve the problem". If I had no working knowledge of medication (which fortunately I do) that would have been all the information I received.

Similarly, when I had my adverse reaction and talked to my doctor about discontinuing, he told me that 10mg Fluoxetine "wasn't even a dose" and that CTing would be fine. While Fluoxetine has a gentler reputation for CTing than other medications, it was clear he had little knowledge of adverse reactions or withdrawal challenges. 

I'm sure other people have stories very similar to mine. The lack of information patients are given is appalling.

1998- Fluoxetine

2012- One dose of Escitalopram causes suicidal ideation. Started Venlafaxine. Successfully discontinued using a Fluoxetine bridge.

December 2021- 4 days of 5-HTP. Had some severe dysphoric symptoms trying to discontinue. Started Fluoxetine 10mg. Provided with five 1mg doses of Ativan as well.

January 6th- Continued to take Fluoxetine 10mg. Experienced deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

• Administrator

These are good suggestions, @Scrountz

People who have found cold turkey to be a big mistake can, in fact, reinstate a low dose of the drug to address withdrawal symptoms. The sooner this is done after quitting the drug, the better.

Risk of reinstatement increases the longer you wait, but we have seen people do better with very low-dose reinstatement even years out. We advise a probe of a very low dose to minimize risk of kindling from reintroduction of the drug, and sometimes this very low dose is a sufficient crutch to set people along the way to recovery.

Up to the individual whether they want to try reinstatement or manage symptoms with non-drug methods. In any case, expect recovery to be very, very gradual, with many frustrating ups and downs, and to take many months.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Techniques for Managing an Adverse Drug Reaction or Withdrawal from Cold Turkey or Adverse Drug Reaction)
  • Altostrata changed the title to Techniques for Managing an Adverse Drug Reaction or Cold Turkey Withdrawal

What is kindling?

Paxil 2008 20mg 2016 40mg feb 21 2022  20mg, feb 28 0mg April 23 20mg April 24 40mg April 26 20mg April 27 10mg April 28 0mg May 7 10mg May 17 0mg

Duloxitine Feb. 21, ‘22-30mg feb 28 60mg March 14 0mg April 21. 30mg April 26 60mg April 28 30mg am/60mg pm May 7 60mg am currently still on

Lexapro 2022 April 14 5 mg April 18 10m

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

Currently on 60mg dulox and 50mg Trazadone 

taking hydroxyzine and xanax as needed

@Jilla

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

On 6/15/2022 at 2:12 AM, ChessieCat said:

Yes! It’s the same where I live. They stopped giving the leaflet/printout the last year few years or so. I even asked for one once and they just said I could talk to the pharmacist for any questions. 

Alprazolam 0.5mg: 2014-2022. Crossed over to 10mg diazepam for tapering as per Ashton. 

I am one of the people who naively and stupidly went c/t. Here was a miscommunication between my dr’s office and my pharmacy and I was without my cipralex and decided to just stop. I was unaware of forums like this. I did not do my research and now I’m paying for it. 

Hi

whilst I am aware there are topics for fatigue as a symptom when tapering for a drug, I can find little information relating to those of us who are experiencing it years later from an adverse reaction or cold turkey. 

I am desperately looking for advice on help with this symptom I am experiencing 3 years out from an immediate adverse reaction, to citalopram 20mg taken for approx 4 days. 

In recent months my fatigue is unbearable to a point where I cannot even function. I cannot drive and I am struggling with work and looking after my young child. 

I have seen a massive decline in my energy levels and I do not know what to do about it. 

my blood levels are all normal whilst my FSH and LH levels are on the low side they are considered normal by my GP they will not treat me. 

I just also note that this fatigue is not any better with increased sleep. I can sleep all night with no known disturbances but I still cannot wake up and function. 

Having very little history with medication, and experiencing such devastating consequences from the small dose I did take. I am now seriously contemplating a stimulant just to help me get through the days. 

Any advise on this symptom I would greatly appreciate. As I do not have the option of reinstating uprising etc. 

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

@keogh08

What is your diet like? It can have a huge impact on energy levels. While our blood levels of certain hormones can be within normal range to a medical doctor, often naturopaths are a little more specialized in that area if you can find a good one. Have you ever considered seeing a naturopath or holistic nutritionist? They can work with you on your diet/lifestyle to see if any modifications can be made. Something to consider. 

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Hi @MedRN

Thank you for getting back to me. Early in withdrawal from my reaction I seen a naturopath. If I am being honest I am so overwhelmed by the fatigue that I even struggle to prepare meals, but I know I could do so much better where diet is concerned. I will look to arrange an appointment asap. 

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

at least eat fruit and vegetables and not sugar and junk.  cold showers.  or if you can stand it baths or swim in the cold ocean.  start walking.  just start,    a little bit,  not for sweating, just moving,  enjoying the trees or whatever you can.  preferably in nature if you have it.  yoga, get a book or video,  do it in a meditative way,  not striving to accomplish anything, just enjoying the stretch as far as you can.  certain breathing exercises really help to. really slow, quiet.  I am on the same wavelength as you.  I know these things help.  I can acupuncture myself so I do that, so if you have money, do that a lot. 

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, chrona said:

I can acupuncture myself

Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

In both withdrawal and ADR cases, healing is non-linear. It's not so uncommon to have periods where you feel really awful again, even after going through better periods or feeling like a lot of progress has been made.

See the Windows and Waves Pattern of Healing

Hang in there @rebeccaannxo, your nervous system will find its way back.

1998- Fluoxetine

I feel you Rebecca. I am right there with you. Praying for better days for you. 

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

• Administrator

We've seen that drinking alcohol, taking antibiotics or other drugs, getting covid-19, being in very hot or sunny places, overexertion, lack of sleep, and other upsets can revive withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 6/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, rebeccaannxo said:

Unfortunately I haven’t made much progress at all. I’m housebound every single day from symptoms and so sick I can’t even walk down the street. I don’t ever have windows, it’s just constant suffering. When will this nightmare ever end 😩

I’m so sorry Rebeccaannxo. I am in a very bad place as well right now. Wondering how I am supposed to keep going on this way. Very scary and debilitating. Please know that I will be praying for you…praying for God to bring healing to your body.🙏

Paxil 2008 20mg 2016 40mg feb 21 2022  20mg, feb 28 0mg April 23 20mg April 24 40mg April 26 20mg April 27 10mg April 28 0mg May 7 10mg May 17 0mg

Duloxitine Feb. 21, ‘22-30mg feb 28 60mg March 14 0mg April 21. 30mg April 26 60mg April 28 30mg am/60mg pm May 7 60mg am currently still on

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

My only progress so far is that my akathisia and inner vibration seem to be gone for good for 2+months now. All other symptoms had 0 progress and no "window & wave pattern", and most of them are physical: tingling in extremities, muscle twitch, tinnitus, slight tremor. The Tinnitus is the most troublesome and I really don't know if it's med induced because it did not appear immediately(within a day) after a med is introduced/withdrawn. Also developed head pressure on right half in the last 2 weeks.

I get that since my akathisia and inner vibration is gone, it means I am healing, but I don't feel that way at all...Enduring them makes me exhausted and lose hope already...

2018: abilify(ct) -> lamictal(ct) -> quetiapine(fast taper): no withdrawal syndrome. All side effects and adverse reactions disappeared as soon as I went off the meds.

2019-2021: psych med free;

2021/05 - 08: oral contraceptive for abnormal period (had very irregular period with bleeding that could last 3 weeks)

2021/11: Had shingles for a few weeks, used gabapentin & Valacyclovir. Stopped when shingles stopped. No issues.

2022- 2/11-2/27: Vraylar 1.5mg/day, 2/25-2/27: Mirtazapine(all under previous psych NP's instruction); Went to ER for akathisia on 3/6/2022 and tried propranolol with lorazepam for around 5 days but did not work. Hospitalized on 3/16/2022 due to akathisia and introduced the following: Clonidine 0.1mg/day for 2 weeks; Lorazepam 0.5mg twice/day for 1 week; benztropine 1mg twice/day for 1 week; propranolol 10mg/day for 1 week.

100mg/day vitamin B6 from 4/6-4/17.

No med since 4/14/2022.

WD anxiety, a.k.a. neuro-anxiety, is different from normal anxiety. 

We mustn't let ourselves be discouraged if our usual non-drug coping techniques and run-of-the-mill CBT-style tactics don't make a dent. 

Sometimes the best strategies for WD anxiety are distract, acknowledge-accept-float (AAF), distract some more. 

It's very important not to beat ourselves up for "failing" to get a handle on WD anxiety, because it may not be manageable in the same way that garden-variety anxiety is. This is not to say we shouldn't practice coping skills, just that they may not be effective in the ways we're used to. We mustn't spiral into self-blame and other neuro-self-recrimination as a result. 

Let us be gentle with ourselves <3

SunnyRainyDays has written a brilliant description of the experience of WD anxiety, sharing their post here: 

19 hours ago, SunnyRainyDays said:

Normally reassuring and challenging the thoughts with solid proof and facts makes my anxiety go away, but not this one - withdrawal anxiety won’t go away no matter what I do - I just have to sit with it.

The neuro-anxiety puts me 24/7 in a flight-or-fight mode. My anxious brain now interprets every single thought and action as “danger”.

I daydream for one minute:

You must have maladaptive daydreaming.

My mind wanders for a few seconds while doing a hour long task:

You must have ADHD

I want to play a video game that has a few drops of blood:

Don’t play it, it will make you violent

I scratch my skin because it itches:

You might go ill and scratch your skin bloody to excess

And so on and on. There aren’t even the “what if you have …” questions that anxiety normally does, but it’s straight out “You (must) have …”

Today I was afraid to leave my house for no reason. The fears come and go as they wish, one day I’ll have them and on another I don’t.

The combination with other neuro emotions that appear from time to time like random hostility out of nowhere make it worse.

Weird though that it is afraid of every mental problem but anxiety disorders - if it would be then it would practically eliminate itself by avoiding worrying. But it’d rather be scared of daydreaming, logically. Why is it scared most of daydreaming??? Probably because it’s so common and human that it’s unavoidable, and anxiety hates unavoidable things…

I tried reassuring, showing proof that the thought is impossible and stupid, but no matter what I do it won’t even decrease a bit. (I researched the topics my mind is afraid of and it didn’t help - it’s like talking to a moron. It holds to its belief no matter what. I compared the “mental disorders” to myself and even though I fit none my anxiety still insists I probably have it. I even took the official test for Maladaptive daydreaming which you need a score of 40+ points to even be considered a MDer, my score was 17,5, not even the half of it, but my anxious mind doesn’t care and won’t shut up. Each time my mind wanders off my anxiety flares up. Same with every topic. Can’t concentrate once in a while? Danger, very, very bad.) Everything that I do is accompanied by extreme judgement from my anxious mind.

Pity my anxious brain doesn’t notice that most of the problems come from the anxiety itself.

All I can do for now is to ignore or distract myself and let it pass along with the withdrawal. Mostly it makes me avoid and not do the things that flare it up, this time facing fears is useless as it leaves me in even more distress.

Yup, withdrawal anxiety is something completely else than normal anxiety and now I know that.

34 minutes ago, Ariel said:

WD anxiety, a.k.a. neuro-anxiety, is different from normal anxiety. 

We mustn't let ourselves be discouraged if our usual non-drug coping techniques and run-of-the-mill CBT-style tactics don't make a dent. 

Sometimes the best strategies for WD anxiety are distract, acknowledge-accept-float (AAF), distract some more. 

It's very important not to beat ourselves up for "failing" to get a handle on WD anxiety, because it may not be manageable in the same way that garden-variety anxiety is. This is not to say we shouldn't practice coping skills, just that they may not be effective in the ways we're used to. We mustn't spiral into self-blame and other neuro-self-recrimination as a result. 

Let us be gentle with ourselves ❤️

SunnyRainyDays has written a brilliant description of the experience of WD anxiety, sharing their post here: 

Great post!

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

15 minutes ago, rebeccaannxo said:

Has anyone had extreme facial burning, lethargic, really pale skin, floaty like feeling (almost flu like)? 

I have had facial tingling and pale skin!

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

Really glad to have found this topic. About 3 weeks ago I took mirtazipine for 5 days (am also on citalopram, maybe that had an effect) and was told to discontinue after 5 days because of my symptoms. Am now about 3 weeks out of stopping mirtazapine cold turkey and still feel like I've got the flu, got brain zaps, tingling on my scalp and headaches, and can't seem to think straight. I was so shocked that i could still be having these symptoms after only a few days on a medication, and it was really worrying me and making me think there's something bigger going on - but reading this topic reassures me that unfortunately ADR can happen, so that would explain my symptoms. 

2012 - Fluoxetine 10mg. 10mg --> 20mg soon after 

2017 - direct switch from Fluoxetine 20mg --> Citalopram 20mg. 20mg -->30mg soon after.

2017 - addition of Pregabalin 50mg daily, stopped a year later in 2018. 

December 2021 - citalopram 30mg --> 40mg, 4 week updose taper. 

18th Feb 2022 - citalopram 40mg --> 30mg (due to side effects) 

30th March 2022 - citalopram 30mg-->25mg (rec by doctor, in order to ultimately reduce citalopram and switch medications). 

24th April - 30mg-->20mg. Side effects. 30th May - 20mg-->15mg. Side effects. 9th June - 15mg->10mg. 11th June - 10mg->15mg.

15th June - Addition of 7.5mg Mirtazapine. 20th June - stopped mirtazapine (bad side effects). 

11th June to 5th August - citalopram 15mg hold. 6th August - 15mg --> 16.5mg (to try and alleviate acute WDsymptoms)

Currently - on 16.5 mg citalopram. 

Supplements - 250mg Vitamin C daily 

@Erin9

That sounds really foul for you. 
I had to withdraw from mirtazipine fast for medical reasons. It wasn’t very nice. 
The main issues were dire insomnia, night terrors and anxiety.  
I promise it cleared up and wish you well. 
I went on a low histamine diet to help with the withdrawal. But you may not have to do so !!! 
Best wishes 

OD 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

On 7/6/2022 at 6:50 PM, rebeccaannxo said:

Has anyone had extreme facial burning, lethargic, really pale skin, floaty like feeling (almost flu like)? 

Facial burning, feeling flu like and lethargic. Yes!!

Seroxat 1992 6 months

Venlafaxine 2016 - 2021 

olanzapine 2016 - 2019 

olanzapine 2020 - 2021 

olanzapine 2022 April and May on 5 mg, stopped in June at 2.5 mg

clonazepam 2022 March - stopped jan 23 0.5 mg

olanzapine 2.5mg started again in July (27th 2023) stopped jan 23

made attempts on life Jan 23

started olanzapine feb 23 20mg

sertraline 200mg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Shep pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic
On 2/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, Scrountz said:

ADMIN NOTE If you abruptly quit your drug without tapering (cold turkey), see

I thought I'd write something up for the CT/ADR crew, as those who are tapering are often able to manage their symptoms well through a gradual hyperbolic taper. For those of us cast out to sea, so to speak, and with no choice but to endure suffering, I think the only thing we have control over is our attitudes and our relationship to what we're experiencing. This means that though we have no choice over what we experience, we have the power to decide whether we suffer it. 

I may only be 30 days into my ADR experience, but I think given the intensity of my symptoms I've done remarkably well. Part of the reason that's the case is that I'm already well versed at managing suffering by virtue of struggling with CPTSD. One of the most helpful resources I found in my trauma recovery has been Pete Walker's 13 Steps for Flashback Management. I feel Pete's strategies could similarly be helpful for those suffering symptoms from Withdrawal/ADR. CPTSD flashbacks often resemble Withdrawal/ADR symptoms in their overwhelming and intense quality, and are similarly difficult to assign meaning to. Pete's steps help people to endure and manage their suffering, and support people to develop a healing attitude towards a complex and often lifelong syndrome. 

So here I present to you, adapted directly from Pete's steps,  Scrountz's 10 Steps for Managing Withdrawal/ADR Symptoms:

1. Say to yourself: "I am experiencing a symptom."

Its important when symptoms arise to name them what they are. When in a wave it is easy to lose perspective and believe that what we are experiencing is a sign that we are going crazy, mentally ill, that our brains are broken, or that we are dying. Symptoms are not characterological defects, nor are they signs of a deeper problem. Symptoms are time limited experiences that will gradually resolve. When you name what you are experience as a symptom, you are reinforcing what is real.

2. Remind yourself: "I would not be feeling this way if it was not for the medication."

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms are compelling and have a tendency to pull us in to a unique physiological reality characterized by interminable suffering. Neuro-emotions, ruminating thoughts, and unrelenting physical ailments feel so real it is sometimes hard to believe that we are experiencing is drug induced. Falling into this pit can send us into a spiral of googling symptoms, experimenting with remedies and endlessly theorizing about our condition. Reminding ourselves that it is the medication (or for withdrawal, its absence) that is causing this experience grounds us in the appropriate context for recovery. When we remind ourselves it is the medication, we open the door to taking the right action to promote recovery. 

3. Own your right and need to have boundaries

Remind yourself that you are injured, and have a right to do what is necessary to heal. Respectfully communicate to others when you are distressed/overwhelmed/debilitated and need space or freedom from responsibilities that may burden your already over-sensitized nervous system. Own your right to take care of yourself and put your wellness first. Remove or reduce distressing factors in your environment and focus on finding a space for you that is safe and conducive to healing. Remember you are free to leave overstimulating situations and to protect yourself from the dismissive behaviour of others. 

4. Seek reassurance

When symptoms arise, they can be incredibly distressing and debilitating. Many people in withdrawal feel as though their lives are ruined and they may never feel better again. Seek reassurance from loved ones and compassionate others to remind you that you will heal in time. Call your parents, talk to your spouse, connect with your counsellor, or phone a friend. Journal in your introductory topic or reach out to other members of this forum. Find whoever you can to reassure you things will get better. Often just hearing that from someone else is enough to provide some strength to keep going. 

5. Deconstruct eternity thinking

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms are incredibly compelling. Often when a wave of symptoms arises, one feels they will always feel this way forever. I know for me, when a wave of depression hits, I have a hard time believing it won’t last forever. The reality is that symptoms change over time. Recovery follows an unpredictable course, yet no feeling is final. Waves will always end eventually. Remind yourself that symptoms are not forever, and you will feel differently eventually. Symptom journals can be incredibly helpful in this regard, as when eternity thinking sets in, you can revisit past journals to see how your experience has changed over time. 

6. Remind yourself of the resources you have

While time is the only factor that truly resolves Withdrawal/ADR symptoms, there are numerous resources available to help with coping and reducing symptom severity. When distressing symptoms arise, remind yourself of the resources you have to cope. It can be helpful to make a list of the things you find helpful in managing symptoms (for me it's talking with loved ones, journaling, Qigong, Acknowledge/Accept/Float, CBT exercises). In withdrawal/ADR, you are out of control but you are not powerless. There are ways to increase comfort and help manage your experience.

7. Ease back into your body (this is copied verbatim from Pete’s flashback management as it is just as applicable to us)

• Gently ask your body to relax: Feel each of your major muscle groups and softly encourage them to relax. (Tight muscles send unnecessary danger signals to the brain.)
  • Breathe deeply and slowly. (Holding the breath also signals danger).
  • Slow down. (Rushing presses the psyche's panic button.)
  • Find a safe place to unwind and soothe yourself. Wrap yourself in a blanket, hold a stuffed animal, lie down in a bath, take a nap
  • Feel the fear in your body without reacting to it. Fear is just an energy in your body that cannot hurt you if you do not run from it or react self-destructively to it.

8. Resist drasticizing and catastrophizing

Withdrawal/ADR symptoms throw us into a state of high distress, where it is easy to begin catastrophizing (believing the world is ending) and drasticizing (believing that something needs an immediate and severe response). It’s important to forcefully resist this, as this kind of thinking only serves to increase distress and reinforce the notion that recovery is not possible. Use whatever strength you can to push back against this thinking, reminding yourself that symptoms are not life threatening, and that this is not forever. CBT techniques that challenge catastrophic thinking are particularly helpful in managing this dimension of symptoms. 

9. Allow yourself to grieve

Withdrawal/ADR can be a debilitating, life altering experience that has robbed some of us years of wellness and prosperity. For many the loss of a sense of safety and trust in the medical system leaves one feeling existentially exposed. The symptoms of withdrawal/ADR can impact our relationships, sense of self and life direction. It is important to leave space to express the healthy feelings that come up as a result of this demoralizing, often traumatic experience. Pain, sadness, anger, despair and anguish all have a place in the recovery process. Give yourself permission to express whatever feelings are present in relation to the inevitable loss that withdrawal.

10. Be patient with a slow recovery process

I was sobered when I read on this site that recovery takes longer than you’d like. The truth of iatrogenic injury is that there is no clear timeline for anyone’s recovery process. Everyone experiences a unique healing trajectory, with some going very slowly and others experiencing more rapid progress. Whatever the pace, it is important to be patient. You simply cannot rush your healing. Most of us will be at this for months or years. Raging against this fact only engenders needless suffering. Though in many ways the hardest step, this is the most important, and feeds back positively into the other steps. If you can take things one day at a time, you’re more likely to successfully manage your symptoms as they arise. If you’re fixated on getting well NOW, you’re less likely to do what's actually helpful (see steps 1-9).

This list is far from exhaustive. I’d love to hear from the collective wisdom of this forum about other necessary “steps” in coping with hard symptoms. 

Thank you so much for this, it really helped me out tonight. My taper rate is far from cold turkey but I feel very intensely the first 5 days or so after a taper and really really need these reminders, especially with eternity thinking.

1993- Ritalin (unsure of of Dosage 1996- Discontinued ritalin, started dexedrine (10 mgs) 1997- started Clonodine for sleep issues from dexedrine (tapered off of it around 2002)

2007- Trazadone for sleep (not sure how long I was on it, it was less than 2 years, could have been way less) 2011-  6 month taper off Dexedrine 
2015- Lamictal (250) 2015 - Seroquel, Latuda, prn gabapentin, PRN Propranolol, haldol and PRN Ativan (discontinued all (except Ativan, propranolol and gabapentin) 1-2 months after starting)

2017-Lamictal, September:  started taper down

2018- Lamictal-  March- down to 150, decided to pause taper 2018- Gabapentin- Discontinued PRN Gabapentin in October2019- Ativan- discontinued PRN Ativan immediately

2022- Lamictal- April- started the taper again

2022- Lamictal- Currently at 40 mg (as of 4/6/23)

currently 37.5 mg (as of 5/22/23) then I paused 

- Currently taking PRN propanolol  very infrequently might consider going off of it once my lamictal taper is done 

Current supplements- Magnesium glycinate, vitamin B, pure cbd oil,Vitamin D, Ginkgo biloba, fish oil, DIM, Skullcap tincture,

Intro post: Here

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Thank You I am going to print out a copy and copy and paste to save in my documents.

We need all the help we can get to manage this🤗

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• 2 months later...
  • Mentor

Thank you for sharing such comforting and encouraging information.  I will definitely be referring back to this list quite often.  I need all the help I can get in my darkest moments.

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I seem to have fallen in the adr category. I took amitriptyline for a week. Then stopped and all hell broke loose.

Really struggling at the minute with the mental symptoms especially. Feeling like my brain has broken and can't remember anything. It's like my head is empty. Never felt so poorly physically and mentally. 

I'm into my 8th week now since stopping.

Does it get better? Is there anyone else going through this at the minute or gone through it that I could talk to. Feeling very alone and scared with nowhere to turn. I can't even comprehend having to go through this for months.

? - April 22 (for 5yrs+) - citalopram 20mg day

Reduced as per dr felt fine 6 months until taking the amitriptyline in Oct 22

11th-18th october 22 - Amitriptyline  10mg daily - no longer take - adverse reaction 

Oct/ beginning Nov 22 - propanolol 40mg 3x daily- no longer take

28th Oct - 4th Dec 22 - diazepam 2mg - take 1 as required not every day- no longer take 

Nov 22 - omega 3 - 1x daily

8th dec 22 - magnesium 

16th dec 22 - reinstated amitriptyline for a few days made me feel worse so stopped 

5 hours ago, Wardy4022 said:

Hi,

I seem to have fallen in the adr category. I took amitriptyline for a week. Then stopped and all hell broke loose.

Really struggling at the minute with the mental symptoms especially. Feeling like my brain has broken and can't remember anything. It's like my head is empty. Never felt so poorly physically and mentally. 

I'm into my 8th week now since stopping.

Does it get better? Is there anyone else going through this at the minute or gone through it that I could talk to. Feeling very alone and scared with nowhere to turn. I can't even comprehend having to go through this for months.

It gets better @Wardy4022

I'm 11 months off after 30 days of Fluoxetine. Had an ADR on day 30 and had to cold turkey. Symptoms got really bad at 2 months and 5 months off. Things have very gradually improved. I'm feeling MUCH better than I was, though still dealing with things.

Everyone's trajectory is a little bit different. Try not to compare yourself to others. And manage eternity thinking! Symptoms feel timeless but they're not. It always surprises me a bit when something eventually goes away (because it feels like it never will) but it always does. 

PM me if you want to chat more. Hang in there.

1998- Fluoxetine

• Shep changed the title to Cold Turkey Withdrawal
  • Shep unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
On 6/27/2022 at 3:33 AM, Scrountz said:

In both withdrawal and ADR cases, healing is non-linear. It's not so uncommon to have periods where you feel really awful again, even after going through better periods or feeling like a lot of progress has been made

I should print this out and hang it on my wall...

Thank you for the essential reminder.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Is it possible that I had a ADR from taking Zoloft for 16 days? 11 days half pill, 5 days quarter pill. I have taken Zoloft before, but like a really long time ago, from 1997-2007. No psycho drug since then. I had no problem quitting back then, I gradually decreased the tablets, but had no real knowledge how to do it, so as far as I remember, I decreased by quarters for a few months and quit. Had a few brain zaps the next days, but that was it.

Back to the present, I started taking 3 x 0,25 Xanax at the start of November 2023. I had a small breakdown and was stupid enough to accept medicine for treatment. Did not know anything about benzos 2 months ago. Now unfortunately I know too much, especially Xanax. Had few more small breakdowns (possibly because I tried to taper Xanax too quickly and had stress), so ended up asking for Zoloft again. After 15 years. :( Never had any problem in this period. I took it only for a short period of time, but have lost appetite, could only get a few hours of sleep, and I felt like zombie in the world. Things started to settle a little by day 11, had appetite, could sleep, but felt complete emotional numbness. That's when I decided that I don't need this. Took a quarter pill for the next 5 days, then quit. The first few days after quitting was okay,  but like about a week and half ago I lost appetite again, 3-4 hours of sleep, and lethargy/depression full power. Like I'm not interested in anything. I never had this before. Also, probably small akathasia like symptoms, over agitated sometimes, walking up & down in my room. 

The best thing is, that because I also take Xanax, I can't decide which medicine is causing this. Tolerance built up to Xanax, or the 16 days (6,75 pills all together) Zoloft? If I have taken Zoloft before and had no issues like this, can these symptoms still come from Zoloft? Or maybe even increases the chance of ADR reaction? Like that part of my brain settled for 15 years and now activated badly with only a few pills? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1998-2008 Zoloft 50 mg. Tapered to 12,5 mg within months then stopped with no issues, few brain zaps.

2005 summer - One week of 0,25 mg Xanax use, daily around 4-5 pills

2023.11.08. - Daily 3 x 0,25 mg Xanax

2023.12.15. - Zoloft 25 mg

2023.12.26. - Zoloft 12,5 mg

2023.12.31. - Stopped Zoloft

2024.01.16. - Started tapering Xanax, will try tapering 1/4 tablet every 4 days. Will see how it goes.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2024 at 6:26 PM, Krish said:

The best thing is, that because I also take Xanax, I can't decide which medicine is causing this. Tolerance built up to Xanax, or the 16 days (6,75 pills all together) Zoloft?

My thoughts are that it is much more likely to be the Xanax. Xanax requires very slow tapering. You will need to make sure you take the same dose spaced out in divided intervals each day to get your body used to a fixed dose before gradually reducing. Xanax is very difficult to taper from as it requires crushing and dividing the tablets into very small doses as it is very strong. Often people transfer to an equivalent dose of a benzodiazepine like diazepam or chlordiazepoxide and slowly reduce.

We can remain sensitive to even short exposures to drugs but 15 years is a long time and you report that you did not experience withdrawal when you came off lexapro (very lucky and fortunate).

anyway, I certainly hope you get relief from your symptoms soon.

June 2020: Started citalopram 20 mg for misdiagnosed adverse drug reaction. Developed side effects of hypomania.

Nov. 2023: Rapid reduction to 5 mg citalopram to stop hypomania.

Dec. 13th, 2023. Reduced to 3.75 mg citalopram — severe depression and anxiety and loss of appetite

Dec. 26th Updosed over a week to 7.5 mg to pull me out of it but hypomania returned. Stabilised withdrawal symptoms by 50% very quickly but took 6 weeks to stabilise 90 to 95%.

February 15th Withdrawal symptoms stabilised enough to reduce. Forced to reduce to 5 mg due to hypomania side effect. Currently taking 5 mg citalopram (2.5 mg twice per day). I am stabilising quite well on 5 mg per day. Can withdraw in the future very slowly now that hypomania side effect has stopped.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy