SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Christie: tapering off dosulepin / Dothep / Prothiaden

Christie

Hi everyone, 

I'm so glad to have found this site as I have recently had to try tapering off dothep due to not being able to get it for around 5 months . I had gone from 100mg down to 75mg for about a yr and then with drs advice and help down to 50mg and then the chemists could not get it in and so I went down to 25mg to try make it last. After many months they didn't know when it would be back so I started taking it every 3rd day just to make it last. They have finally got them in but have stayed on every 3rd day but must admit sometimes I struggle. I also have valium which I sometimes take on bad days but only take half and trying not to take too many. 

Also my drs were on holidays and couldn't get advice over xmas so it is only recent that I have spoken to him and he said to take it every 2nd day but have been doing every 3rd for about a month and a half now so have stuck to that. Must admit it is a struggle atm. 

2011-7-6-2018  100mg dothep

7.6.2018 - 23.8.21 50mg dothep.

23.8.21 - 23.11.21  25mg daily

23.11.21 - 9.2.22    25mg every 3 days.

9.2.22- 25mg daily

Hi, I just joined this group and been reading posts and seen that it is not good to taper off by skipping doses. I posted earlier regarding how I could not get my meds and had to skip to get by until I could speak to my drs and the meds (dothep) were back in stock. My dr told me to take 25mg every 2nd day and I stayed on the every 3rd day since I had done this while they were unavailable just to get by. Can someone please confirm if skipping doses is bad? They are a capsule and 25mg is the lowest dose . I used to be on 100mg and tapered down over the yrs. 

Thanks 

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• hayduke changed the title to Christie: New here, tapering off dosulepin/dothep

Hi @Christie and welcome.

Please keep your posts in your intro topic for now.  I've merged your second query back into your intro thread.

Please help us with some info on your situation by creating a signature with your drug history in it

A quick answer to your query - https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/22958-never-skip-doses-to-taper/

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• ChessieCat changed the title to Christie: tapering off dosulepin / Dothep / Prothiaden

Thank you for the information and sorry about posting in wrong section. 

I think I am going to speak to my dr with this info and if he doesn't know how to do this try find another dr because I have no idea atm as to how to taper down from a 25mg capsule. From the information you gave me to read it makes sense that I have struggled with taking one every 3rd night. I was just afraid I would have to go cold turkey so didn't at the time see I had much choice as both my drs were away.

Thanks so much for the information. 

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

I have asked the other mods for their assistance regarding how to get non standard doses.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you. 

Wow so happy you got off all your meds. I didn't think it would be so hard and complicated. Thank you so much and im so glad I found this place.

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

It would be really helpful if you would add dates. and not time periods please.  The more accurate this information the better.  Thank you.

Q:  Do you have tablets or capsules?

From the information I found it seems that the tablets can be dissolved in water.  But there is no mention about whether the capsule contents can be.  However there is a possibility that the capsule contents (a white powder) might be able to be dissolved in water.  This is something that you could try doing.  For most other ADs it is generally okay to keep the homemade liquid covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.

This is SA's topic:

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques

From http://stridesfoundation.com/downloads/v2/Dosulepin_25mg_capsules.pdf

(Thaden is the South African brand name)

Capsule
A white powder encapsulated within an opaque number 3 capsule with a red body and a
red cap. “TH” is printed on the cap and “25” is printed on the body in white ink.

From https://www.nps.org.au/medicine-finder/dothep-tablets#full-pi

Each capsule contains 25 mg of dosulepin (dothiepin) hydrochloride as the active ingredient.
Each tablet contains 75 mg of dosulepin (dothiepin) hydrochloride as the active ingredient.
Dothep 25 capsules contain lactose as well as sulfites (present in trace amounts).
Dothep 75 tablets contain lactose as well as sulfites and soya bean products (sulfites and soya bean are present in trace amounts).

Dothep 25.

25 mg capsule: size 4 hard capsule with green body and red cap.

Dothep 75.

75 mg tablet: red film-coated tablet, normal convex, marked "DT/75" on one side, "α" on reverse.
Dothiepin hydrochloride is a white or faintly yellow, crystalline powder. It is freely soluble in water

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi ChessieCat, 

Thanks for the info. I will try to get the exact dates for my signature. 

I have an appt with my dr tonight and will talk to him regarding this information. 

Will post back after I speak with him. 

Have a lovely day

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Is your doctor aware of antidepressant withdrawal symptoms?

There is a printable PDF in Post #1 of this topic:

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

The staff is in the process of creating a Tips for Tapering topic for dosulepin.  Below is the information about making your own liquid:

Make a dosulepin liquid yourself from tablets or capsules

Both the contents of capsules and the tablets can be made into a liquid. 

From http://www.rlandrews.org/pdf_files/handbk_of_enteralfeeding.pdf

Dothiepin hydrochloride is a white or faintly yellow, crystalline powder. It is freely soluble in water, and in alcohol.

If a drug can be put (crushed or in suspension) in a feeding tube, it can be crushed or liquified for titration.

From Page 211 http://www.rlandrews.org/pdf_files/handbk_of_enteralfeeding.pdf  

Capsules:

Dosulepin (Alpharma, APS, Ashbourne, Berk, Generics, Hillcross, IVAX, Kent, Sandoz, Sanofi-
Synthelabo, Sovereign, Sterwin)

25 mg Capsules contains insoluble excipients. Can be dispersed in 30 mL of water.

Tablets:

Dosulepin (Alpharma, APS, Ashbourne, Berk, Cox, Generics, Hillcross, IVAX,  Kent, Sandoz, Sanofi-Synthelabo, Sovereign, Sterwin)

Do not crush tablets and mix with water as there is a risk of blocking tube with fragments of film coating.2  Cox brand tablets disperse in 10 mL of water if shaken for 5 minutes, resulting in a pink milky dispersion that flushes via an 8Fr NG tube without blockage but leaves traces of red coating on the syringe and tube.3  APS brand tablets do not disperse readily in water; they are difficult to crush owing to the sugar coating, but with persistence they can be crushed and mixed with water. Once the coating has dissolved the dispersion will flush via an 8Fr NG tube without blockage.3

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Use an oral syringe to precisely measure out doses as small as 0.01mg.

Hi again ChessieCat,

I just finished my dr appt and he said I should continue with 25mg for another 2 weeks since I have been all over the place with them, taking them every 3rd day. I asked him if he could write a prescription for the pharmacy to half them for me into liquid and he said they can't do that. He said after the 2 weeks I can then take one day on and one day off. I told him the information I found here and he taking it every 2nd day is like halving the dose and that he has done this with other patients before. I don't know what to do atm and don't want to feel so all over the place anymore. I have some things im going through right now but when not on them I don't think it made it worse. At least I can think clearer when off them. 

I know you are not a dr but should I go back to taking them every night for 3 weeks? Or is it best I start every 2nd night? I just don't know what to do. Also from what I read it is not good to taper off by skipping dose and he said its like taking half this way. I also am not confident making them into liquid myself. 

Suggestions pls?

9.2.22- 25mg daily

Question regarding withdrawal symptoms

Hi, I just want to ask if ibs symptoms can be part of the withdrawal symptoms. 

I had been taking dothep 25mg every 3rd day and after about a month a started getting ibs symptoms and cramps. 

Few nights ago spoke to my dr who told me to take them every night for 2 weeks and will then go to every 2nd night. While I took them for 3 nights my ubs symptoms were gone , I skipped last night and tonight I have cramps again. Could this be related? 

Thanks 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Hayduke gave you the link to the NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER topic.

What happens when you skip doses is that you get interdose withdrawal.

Gastric issues can be a withdrawal symptoms.  See this is a list of common withdrawal symptoms:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

If you are currently taking 25mg every 3rd day it would be best to start taking 8.5mg every day. 

If you are currently taking 25mg every 2nd day then it would be best to start taking 12.5mg every day.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, Christie said:

I also am not confident making them into liquid myself.

Part of getting off a psychiatric drug is being able to get non standard doses. 

You are very fortunate to be taking a drug that you are able to make your own liquid.  We have members who have to count very tiny beads, some have to crush and weigh their tablets with a jewellers scale and put the powder into a capsule.  The other option would be to get them compounded by a pharmacy.

getting-compound-custom-dosages-at-compounding-pharmacies-us-uk-canada-and-elsewhere

Making your own liquid is not difficult. 

25mg tablet in 125mL water

1mg = 5mL

8.5mg = 42.5mL

12.5mg = 62mL

Thank you so much ChessieCat.

I did read the article you sent regarding not skipping doses and I did tell my dr but he said he has done this before and is like taking half a dose by taking it every 2nd day.

I am going to ring some pharmacys tomorrow and see if they can do it for me. ( I had told my dr that it can be done but he said no they can't) 

If I find one that can I understand that I will need dr to script this so will ask him. If not then I will try doing it myself as this is starting to make me unwell. 

Can I ask about doing this myself pls? Would I empty the capsule in 125mls of water? And then take take 62mls each day? Is that correct? 

Thank you so much , you have no idea how much I appreciate finding somewhere for advice . My psych dr just said change meds..My go dr says skip a dose but I should get off them. A pharmacy place told me that I can stop altogether since I can do every 3 days. It is so confusing. 

Anyway thank you.

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Christie said:

My psych dr just said change meds.

In my opinion that is a very bad idea.  We have seen members of SA who have done this and it does not always work and things sometimes get worse.  You can end up getting withdrawal from the first drug and/or bad reaction/side effects of the second drug.  There would be no way to know what is causing any issues.

My go dr says skip a dose but I should get off them.

This causes interdose withdrawal which is explained in the Never Skip Doses to Taper post.  I cannot explain it more clearly that it is stated here:

On 6/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, Altostrata said:

Skipping doses causes the level of the drug in your bloodstream to go up and down, even with long-acting drugs such as fluoxetine. This puts stress on your nervous system, potentially causing withdrawal symptoms. It's like playing ping-pong with your brain.

A pharmacy place told me that I can stop altogether since I can do every 3 days. It is so confusing. 

You are already experiencing withdrawal symptoms from skipping days.  Stopping the drug when you are "averaging" 8.5mg per day will in all probability cause the withdrawal symptoms to worsen.  And I don't say that lightly.

I will tell you about my own experience which might help you to understand what effect reducing/stopping these drugs too quickly can do and how I had proof (I had a measurable comparison, it was not just wishful thinking or placebo) that updosing the drug relieved my withdrawal symptoms.

PLEASE NOTE:  In your case starting to take your dose every day (which I think you have already proven) will probably reduce your (interdose) withdrawal symptoms.

I was taking 100mg Pristiq and reduced my dose to 50mg.  During the 2 weeks I was on the lower dose I suffered extreme cog fog where even walking took my full concentration.  It was like my head was full of mud.  At the end of the 2 weeks I couldn't type.  Being a professional typist I immediately realised that something was terribly wrong.  I had joined SA a few days before I couldn't type and they had suggested taking more of my drug but I didn't straight away because I was doing a lot of reading trying to understand what was happening.

When I couldn't type I decided to take extra Pristiq and after only about 4 HOURS (not days) I was able to type again and the brain fog was lifting.  Because I had a benchmark I knew that it was the drug which had caused it.

And when I first started my proper taper I made a 10% reduction and had ear pain.  I took some cold medicine but it didn't do anything.  I then took a tiny bit more of my Pristiq and again within a few hours the symptom went.

Can I ask about doing this myself pls? Would I empty the capsule in 125mls of water? And then take take 62mls each day? Is that correct? 

do every 3 days.

Making your own liquid is not as scary as it seems.  But I do understand why it seems that way at first.  My suggestion would be to practice with only water to start.  Measure out the water, you could even add a bit of salt/sugar pretending that it is the capsule contents, leave until it dissolves, stir gently and then measure out the pretend dose.

I am not sure how often you are CURRENTLY taking your 25mg tablet so I have provided information for both scenarios.

If you are CURRENTLY taking your drug every 3 days the daily dose would be 8.5mg every day.

If you are CURRENTLY taking your dose every 2nd day then you will need to take 12.5mg every day.

Yes you would empty the contents of a 25mg capsule into 125mL water and let it dissolve.  Stir it before you measure out the dose.  Store the remainder in a lidded container in the fridge so you can get 2 (or 3) doses (depends on how you are currently take the 25mg capsule, ie every 2nd day or every 3rd day).

The mL on the right hand side below is the amount of liquid you will take; the left hand side is the dose amount. 

If 25mg every 2nd day take 62mL. 

If 25mg every 3rd day take 42.5mL.

10 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

8.5mg = 42.5mL

12.5mg = 62mL

Hi ChessieCat, thank you for your response. 

Regarding psych dr telling me to change meds I told her I didn't want to take anything new. 

During the time when my meds where unavailable I was told my pharmacist to go hospital or dr and get something different but I didn't want to start anything new. 

I know I can't stop and go cold turkey as like you say I am already experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

Thanks for sharing what you went through with withdrawls. I can relate to that brain fog not functioning i just didn't realise it could be that. I actually thought I was feeling down. I can't believe what these meds do. The dr who 1st put me on these who is not my dr but at the clinic my dr is and had put me on these when my doc was away told me that I will be taking 100mg for the rest of my life. He had said im suffering anxiety but I wasn't anxious and told him so. Anyway had other things going on. 

It has been the new dr that im seeing who told me to cut down and it felt like my mind was coming out of prison. I actually felt better on a lower dose. 

But now with the last step of getting off these I am having trouble. By the 2nd night I feel on edge and the not sleeping I expected since dothep makes you really drowzy. I now don't know how I even functioned on 100mg.

Reading how you got off your meds gives me hope that it can be done. 

I was taking 25mg every 3rd night and then dr told me to go back on 25mg for 2 weeks and then to do every 2nd. 

So do you suggest I cut down to 12.5mg every night and then cut down to 8.5mg?

I think I will try doing it myself. 

How long would i need to do the 12.5mg?

Thank you very much ChessieCat. I am struggling with all this as it seems these withdrawls cause all sorts of problems that its hard to pinpoint and tbh I didn't even think some of the things could be related to withdrawal. 

Will let you know when I start cutting it down and will practice with salt and water as you suggested. 

Have a lovely day/night.

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

I am getting very confused about what dose and the frequency you a CURRENTLY taking.

In a post please state clearly when you were taking 25mg every 2nd day and when you were taking 25mg every 3 day.  Until I get this clarified I am making assumptions.  Once I fully understand what doses you have taken when I will be better able to suggest what dose to start taking every day.

I need to know each time you changed.  I'm in Australia so please state the month 😉.  Please list it like this:

date*:              50mg (* last date you took 50mg

date - date:  25 mg every day

date - date:  25mg every 2nd day

date - date:  25mg every 3rd day

date - date:  25mg every 2nd day

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  How often do you take "Also half 5mg valium as needed."?

Q:  How often have you used it in the last 2 weeks?  Please state the dates.

Hi ChessieCat, 

Sorry for taking so long but I was trying to go through my notes to check dates. 

23.8.21 - 23.11.21  25mg daily

9.2.22- 25mg daily

I did skip one dose on the 12.2.22 but went back to daily as what the dr had said . 

Will do that until I start to make my smaller dose ones.

As for the valium I have taken them maybe 4 times the last 2 weeks.

Thank you 

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, Christie said:

As for the valium I have taken them maybe 4 times the last 2 weeks.

Be aware that dependency can occur in as little as 2 weeks if taken regularly.  I think it would be better if you can avoid taking them.

15 minutes ago, Christie said:

9.2.22- 25mg daily

Q:  How are you feeling since being on the 25mg since 9 Feb (- 12th Feb)

Hi ChessieCat,

I have been taking the valium as needed for a long time and before this was taking a quarter but have no problem with not taking any. 

I feel fine on the 25mg. I actually found it harder to cut down from 75mg to 50mg than I did from the 50mg to 25mg. 

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Christie said:

I feel fine on the 25mg.

I'm assuming that you mean 25mg EVERY DAY.

If this is correct then it would probably not be helpful to change your dose again.

Please update your drug signature with the following:

15 hours ago, Christie said:

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

So that you have this information for when you are stable (see next paragraph):

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

How long it will be before you can reduce again is not possible to predict.  SA recommends listening to your body/symptoms and not taper again until you are at withdrawal normal.

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

Thank you so much ChessieCat,

I think I will stay on 25mg for a bit longer until I settle and reduce slowly to 12.5mg.

I will do this myself 

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  What do you mean by "reduce slowly to 12.5mg"?

Hi ChessieCat, sorry for the wording. I meant i will stay on 25mg for a while and then reduce to 12.5mg. 

Is that ok to do that? 

I thought I would remain on 25mg for a few more weeks just to stabilise since I was a little all over the place with skipping doses.

9.2.22- 25mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Going from 25mg to 12.5mg is a 50% reduction.

SA's recommended taper rate is no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I thought I would remain on 25mg for a few more weeks just to stabilise since I was a little all over the place with skipping doses.

Yes this is a good idea.  After a few more weeks, reassess your symptoms BEFORE you reduce.  If you are not at WDnormal (links in previous post) then it is better to hold for longer than to reduce to soon.

• 11 months later...

I read the date wrong - irrelevant now

Edited by IMay
irrelevant

50 year old. Diagnosed with Asperger Autism, Chronic major depression, PTSD, Anxiety, Insomnia, Ehler Danlos, OA, IBS, Obesity, Reflux

Previous medication : Citalopram, Lamotrigine, Prozac, Valdoxin, Lexapro, Dexamphetamine. Electro shock ruled out due to Ehler Danlos Syndrom.

Current medication : Effexor (a little while still), Valproate 500mg x 2, Lithicarb 250 mg x 2,  Dothiepine 100 mg. Pain : Panadol Osteo 665 mg x2 x3, Meloxicam (NSAID) 4 weekly (due to interaction with Lithium). Sleep : Ambien 10 mg PRN. Anxiety : Oxazepam 30 mg. Reflux : Somac 40 mg

The goal is to get off Effexor and start Valdoxin, and hopefully sleep again !! YAY