SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

JeaneenS: Tapering off Lyrica

JeaneenS

Six years ago I was desperate to find relief from the debilitating pain I was experiencing from having had shingles-Postherpetic neuralgia.  Even though I had worked in healthcare for 25 years I was very naive when it came to taking meds.  I was a hospital social worker.  My desperation and naïveté resulted in my ending up on Lyrica.  The side effects have been many with the worst for me being tremendous weight gain.

• ChessieCat changed the title to JeaneenS: Tapering off Lyrica
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Jeaneen, welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Are you still taking the Lyrica?  We have a moderator here who can help you @MerryJayneFriday.  

On 2/12/2022 at 7:16 PM, JeaneenS said:

My desperation and naïveté resulted in my ending up on Lyrica

I understand, I was in the same boat, as were many of us in here.  

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's important to taper slowly and carefully, and be very cautious about changing our doses: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

What is Happening in Your Brain

Here is information about tapering and gapapentinoids: 

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tapering Gapapentinoids

Tips for Tapering Lyrica

Lyrica for Pain

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

There is a great deal of information here, so take you time to look over it.  Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

@JeaneenS

Hello and welcome im glad you are here. I am a former mod at the Facebook site and I'm here to help. I was very confused and it was like my brain wasn't functioning right much of the time I was on and during my withdrawal. I too didn't investigate the drugs but was desperate for relief and blindly followed my dr.  I'll never do that again!  

Good tapering advice above, please be patient as I learn this site.  If I can help please feel free to tag me to get my attention. 

The good news is I'm almost 2 years off and my brain isn't broken after all, and it's not Teflon coated neither!!  I'm able to learn again Thank God. 

Hang in there XO 

MJF

MerryJayneFriday

Polydrugged for many years after dx of Failed Back surgery.   Tapered from Lyrica from 2016 to 2020

Quit 10 mg oxycontin Sept 2021

currently taking 5mg oxycodone every 4 to 5 hours

Hi there. Thanks for checking in with me. Just mixed up a few doses of my Lyrica with water titration.  Would have never been aware of doing that if it hadn’t been for the FB site and Amy’s hard work.  I need to make a list of my former meds- a sort of rough draft and then I will post.

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded