JeffV: Dealing with withdrawal from nefazodone shortage

JeffV

I have been on zoloft and nefazodone for years.  In August of 2020 nefazodone* went into shortage until December of 2021.  I was forced to greatly reduce my dosage from 600mg to 200mg. I was at 200mg for about 8 months. At that time my anxiety was breaking through quite a bit.  

Additional Information provided by member:  Once BMS withdrew the Brand Name Serzone the generic nefazodone became available in the U.S.  With the exception of the shortage Aug-2020 to Dec-2021.  During the shortage we ran into a lot of trouble from pharmacies telling us it was discontinued. 

Nefazodone - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Nefazodone

Nefazodone, sold formerly under the brand names Serzone, Dutonin, and Nefadar among others, is an atypical antidepressant which was first marketed by Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS) in 1994 but has since largely been discontinued. BMS withdrew it from the market by 2004 due to decreasing sales due to the rare incidence of severe liver damage and the onset of generic competition.

Edited by ChessieCat
added info about drug

Current meds since 1999:  200mg zoloft, 600mg nefazodone.

Had to do rapid taper in March 2021 of nefazodone from 600mg to 200mg over 4 weeks due med shortage.

• ChessieCat changed the title to JeffV: Dealing with withdrawal from nefazodone shortage

@JeffV

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site that is for members like you trying to taper off medications or are tapering off.

This is your introduction page where you can receive information, ask questions, and meet member such as yourself. We ask that each member only have one topic page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can you please create a signature. Thank you very much.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I'm sure you did go through a lot of anxiety because you had no choice but to come off the Nefazodone quickly. Although I don't know much about it, I did find a link on here that might help. I did read a little about it being very hard to find at times and many people have a really hard time trying to get their prescriptions filled because of this.

Tips for tapering off nefazodone(Serzone)

How much Zoloft are you currently taking?

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

We don't suggest tapering off of more than one drug at a time. And we only suggest tapering at no more than 10% a month. Some members go slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brain Remodelling

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

I hope I have answered the questions you may have had. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Administrator

Welcome, @JeffV

How did you accomplish your nefazodone reduction? Have the withdrawal symptoms from that gone away? How long did it take?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I went down 100mg per week from 600mg.  Once I hit 100mg I started getting headaches all the time.  I know that was a rapid taper, but I am also on 200mg of zoloft.  I tried a couple other meds, but the side effects were awful.  I went up to 200mg of nefazodone and had enough to make it till the end of the shortage.  As time went by my anxiety kept getting worse that I was even shaking pretty bad.  I am back to my usual dose of nefazodone and I am feeling better, but I think it will take time.  I felt fortunate as many members in our group were in really rough shape.  Some are thinking of going back on it and may try to taper off properly.  Your site has some very helpful info that should be able to help them.

Current meds since 1999:  200mg zoloft, 600mg nefazodone.

Had to do rapid taper in March 2021 of nefazodone from 600mg to 200mg over 4 weeks due med shortage.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JeffV said:

I am back to my usual dose of nefazodone and I am feeling better, but I think it will take time.

When did you go back to 600mg nefazodone? How long were you on less than 600mg?

Why have you been on nefazodone combined with sertraline?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.