Paxil and dementia

25yearsonP

I feel like crying reading this. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30221747/

If I understood properly, the risk of dementia is significantly higher now.   Especially after being on this drug for so many years.  

1995-2006 paroxetine 20 mgs. Early 2007 tapered to zero mgs paroxetine, colitis flare triggered.  Mid 2007 back to 20 mg paroxetine to stop flare.  2007 to 2019 stay at 20 mg.  2019 through 2022 continually lowered dose at first by 5mg a time then by about 2 mg at a time.   Tapered slower as symptoms increased. 

2021 Nov 1 paxil 7.0mg starting to drop by 2.5 percent a week with 2 week holds to reduce colitis symptoms

2022 Mar 30 paxil 6.175 mg and it's caused colitis flare 

2022 May paxil 6 mg.  Drop by 1.75mg. Added 600 mg ashwagandha 2022

sept 1 stopped ashwagandha.  Then continue lowering Paxil by 2.5% every month or so

2023 mar 1 5.85 mg. Can’t imagine going lower. Feel mentally off too often.  Panic feelings that I did not have before. 
I avoid caffeine, I sleep 8 hrs a Night, no alcohol no other mood altering drugs. Eat well and exercise lightly, daily. Blood sugar ok. 
Stuck with little emotional buffer, vertigo is nearby. Panic.  Feels like withdrawal symptoms recur/very slow to recede

36 minutes ago, 25yearsonP said:

I feel like crying reading this. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30221747/

If I understood properly, the risk of dementia is significantly higher now.   Especially after being on this drug for so many years.  

This research is not conclusive at all …. “Might be associated…. But future research is needed .,..” it’s a red flag that this study’s conclusion is unclear. I wouldn’t worry about this particular research

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

other research on google scholar seems to indicate that antidepressants in general elevate risk of dementia.   And so do many anticholinergics.  

All of the studies do seem to say further research is warranted but most seem to point in the same direction. 

I feel even more anger at the companies who made this entire WD and side effect situation. 

But anger won't help anyone much. I think the only thing in my control now is to more seriously watch those blood sugars to keep the risk of dementia a bit lower. 

1995-2006 paroxetine 20 mgs. Early 2007 tapered to zero mgs paroxetine, colitis flare triggered.  Mid 2007 back to 20 mg paroxetine to stop flare.  2007 to 2019 stay at 20 mg.  2019 through 2022 continually lowered dose at first by 5mg a time then by about 2 mg at a time.   Tapered slower as symptoms increased. 

2021 Nov 1 paxil 7.0mg starting to drop by 2.5 percent a week with 2 week holds to reduce colitis symptoms

2022 Mar 30 paxil 6.175 mg and it's caused colitis flare 

2022 May paxil 6 mg.  Drop by 1.75mg. Added 600 mg ashwagandha 2022

sept 1 stopped ashwagandha.  Then continue lowering Paxil by 2.5% every month or so

2023 mar 1 5.85 mg. Can’t imagine going lower. Feel mentally off too often.  Panic feelings that I did not have before. 
I avoid caffeine, I sleep 8 hrs a Night, no alcohol no other mood altering drugs. Eat well and exercise lightly, daily. Blood sugar ok. 
Stuck with little emotional buffer, vertigo is nearby. Panic.  Feels like withdrawal symptoms recur/very slow to recede

After i quit Paxil, I always enter the dementia state right before i sleep.

Sometime its very bad, i had to get-up and alert my self to get back.

I am afraid its a degeneration process happen in my brain and thing will get worse.

2020-8...Prescribe Paxil 20mg.
2020-9. Diagnosed with schizophrineha and prescribe olanzabine 5mg.(stop paxil) and i almost go crazy and back to paxil 20mg with olanzapine 5mg.
2020-11..stop paxil again and hell broke loose again and diagnosed with bipolar and prescribe olanzapine 10mg and lamotrigine and back to paxil 20mg.
2021-2..quit olanzapine and lamotrigine and start tapring paxil. 10mg.
2021-3..tapring paxil 5mg..
2021-4..quit paxil..
2021-5..feeling not good and reinstated to 10mg.

2022-1...off Paxil 1.5 mg dose

2023-4...Relapse due to toothache, i did not take paxil

2023-5.. Symptoms improved.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy