Roserdl: withdrawing from Zoloft - need advice about reinstating to taper or stay off

Roserdl

Hello everyone

Very sorry for everyone struggling here

I have been tapering off Zoloft for months and transitioned to natural supplements (l theanine & fish oil) to finish my jump but I did it at WAY too high a dose

I also was doing a deep cleanse and think I really exacerbated things with the chlorella and spirulina

In any case, I have been having extreme withdrawal (to the point where I thought I was in Serotonin Syndrome as the symptoms nearly mirrored it, but the opinion of two physicians is withdrawal and not serontonin syndrome.  

I have been having ataxia and extreme mood swings.  The nausea have passed and diarrhea, and getting some segments of sleep.  Disturbance in gait.   All tests normal from ER visits.  Swinging between extreme depression and emotional bluntness.  I would write more but can't tolerate the screen very well.

My question.  Would it be better to reinstate and attempt to negate symptoms, stabilize, then restart, or should I just push on and work with where I am at.  The extreme anxiety is starting to pass, and I am getting some sleep.  But, the facial numbness and muscle ataxia symptoms are disturbing.  

I was off for about three weeks before the extreme symptoms started.  Horrible nausea and diarrhea has negated.   

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you very much

ROse

Recent 2018 Zoloft 150mg  (20 years taking at various times, no real issues before stopping)

2019 Risperdal one month low dose (forget amount) stopped bad reaction

2019 Remeron 7.5 mg sleep  (discontinued in mid 2019) on for six months (tapered for a few weeks)

Zoloft 100 mg Summer 2020/Zoloft 75 mg Summer 2021

Zoloft 50 mg November 2021/ Zoloft 25 mg First two weeks January 2022: Reinstated 50 mgJanuary Last week)

Crash in February - on and off doses as doctors conflicted over serotonin syndrome/withdrawal - stopped all for two week & resumed:\

Other drugs tried in hospitals (Abilify, 1mg, 1 dose, Zyprexa 1 dose 1mg, Klonopin .25 4 doses in 2 hospitalizations)

March 1 titrated Zoloft up from 0 to 65 from February to Early May

Severe vision problems at 65 mg (improved depression)

Taper to 55 6/15, 45mg 7/15/ 35mg 8/1, 25mg 8/15, 10 mg, 8/31 OFF 9/2022 Omg  Improved with drops from August to September - November crash ONE dose Zoloft 3mg 11/17 - worsened symptoms - Remain off Zoloft

Mirtazapine -3.5 mg six weeks mid march to end april, occasionally for sleep

Supplements: Fish oil, magnesium, lions mane, cytokine suppress, MCT Oil

• ChessieCat changed the title to Roserdl: Withdrawing from Zoloft - need advice about reinstating to taper or stay off

Dear @Roserdl

welcome to SA. I am sorry you are having such a hard time coming off of your medicine. 

Could you please create a drug signature with details about your drug history. This will allow us to give you better advice going forward.  

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

In the meantime you could read some more about reinstatement as well. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

If you haven't yet seen, here is some information about what is going on in your body during withdrawal and what to expect. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Some of these techniques can perhaps help manage withdrawal symptoms. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

We find that in withdrawal some people can get very sensitive to psychoactive substances incl. some supplements and drugs, alcohol,

pot, even some antibiotics and vitamins which may cause paradoxical reactions in withdrawal. But many of our members find magnesium and Omega -3 supplements helpful.  If you decide to take them, start at a small dose, one at a time. Fish oil would have omega-3 already so continue taking that. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Even though it looks scary right now, you will get better and it may sometimes help to read the success stories. 

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal - Surviving Antidepressants

I will be back once you  fill in your drug signature to get you some more help, 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Ok, I submitted a signature

Current status

Slept through the night for first time in a week

Slightly hypomanic with emotional blunting

Slight numbness on face and overall

The ataxia is moving around (muscle rigidity and stiffness)  - definitely better on face, mostly legs,  not as bad as it has been in days past

Talking to a consult they think this could be a atypical mild case of serotonin sydrome, after ruling it out after ER visits, it was recommended to try a lower dose of Zoloft (12.5 mg) three days ago which resulted in vomiting and severe nausea for a day plus severe restlessness and hypomania although it appeared to relax the numbness and lift the emotional bluntness somewhat

I went back on Zoloft two weeks ago when depression started up (before other symptoms stopped) and was still taking the l trytophan and ginseng.  After a does of ginseng my face went immediately numb and my hands started to clench and curl up plus nausea and diarrhea.  This immediate reaction (plus having just started Zoloft at 25 mg) could have triggered serotonin sydrome. 

This is when I went to ER - my blood pressure and pulse are normally pretty low, my readings were elevated for me by a good bit.  (Stable right now, temp, bp and heart rate normal for past two days)

Panic attack last night and severe wave ataxia in the legs and face (abated after magnesium bath) at which point I slept

Tolerated food today and went for a brief walk - diarrhea went away as did nausea. Emotional swings not bad today despite hypomania (I took a vitamin D out of habit which maybe triggered it, I don't know)

Vision sensiivity, can't really be on computer at all.  

I have an appointment with my prescriber tomorrow.  I don't want to go on another drug.  Wondering if after the Serotonin Syndrome effects go away entirely if a very small dose of Zoloft (like 5mg) might be worth trying to see if it provides any relief from the blunting as if appears to have when I took it a couple days ago (but I can't tolerate the nausea & it seemed to have made my vision sensitivity worse)

I don't know what to do, 

Does emotional blunting resolve with time.  I don't think I have a good idea of where I really am falling out right now with reaction because this really started only a week ago and there appears to be drug reactions with the Zoloft occurring.

My brain is flooded with serotonin right now and apparently Serotonin syndrome alone can take up to three weeks to resolve before the excess is out

So an unclear case.

I am just scared I won't ever laugh or feel like myself again

(I was also having severe anxiety and working on a very stressful work project for the past year which has consumed all my time and feeling off balance due to the stress for months)

Thanks for reading, any advice or support would be much appreciated

Recent 2018 Zoloft 150mg  (20 years taking at various times, no real issues before stopping)

2019 Remeron 7.5 mg sleep  (discontinued in mid 2019) on for six months (tapered for a few weeks)

Zoloft 50 mg November 2021/ Zoloft 25 mg First two weeks January 2022: Reinstated 50 mgJanuary Last week)

Crash in February - on and off doses as doctors conflicted over serotonin syndrome/withdrawal - stopped all for two week & resumed:\

Other drugs tried in hospitals (Abilify, 1mg, 1 dose, Zyprexa 1 dose 1mg, Klonopin .25 4 doses in 2 hospitalizations)

Taper to 55 6/15, 45mg 7/15/ 35mg 8/1, 25mg 8/15, 10 mg, 8/31 OFF 9/2022 Omg  Improved with drops from August to September - November crash ONE dose Zoloft 3mg 11/17 - worsened symptoms - Remain off Zoloft

Full details on this thread which is not getting approved for new posts and kind of just sunk down into oblivion, so posting in general community here

This has been complicated either by Serotonin syndrome or a supplement drug reaction with the Zoloft.  It isn't just straight forward withdrawal

Symptoms have been all over the board, extreme anxiety and panic attacks and physical symptoms such as nausea vomiting ataxia and a lot of feeling detached from my feelings or just intermittent depression and fear (that this will never go away)

I was trying to build back my dose but at clearly too high a levels (12.5 mg brought on dry heaves for hours but did find overall mood and depersonalization lifted somewhat the next day.

I have been being advised back and forth whether to take more or less (due to ER visits due to muscle rigidity and trouble walking) 

The muscle symptoms are about 90% resolve with some residual facial stiffness.   Last consult was with psychiatrist who thinks it was a med reaction and I am in withdrawal.

Both my prescriber and consulting psychiatrist think I should go back on - my question to the community

How long does it take to know if the reinstatement is working.  I am starting at a really low dose just to test to see if I can bear the symptoms 

I took 3 mg today and apart from diarrhea and getting really tired and needing a nap about three hours later, no real bad reactions with the muscle symptoms.

Three days test of this dose and planning to jump to 5 mg if this goes well and stay there another five, then seven (stay there another five), ten, 12, so on until stabilazation. 

I was prescribed the liquid Zoloft so I have calibrated for correct dosing.  My last dose was 25mg.  I can't go higher because when I tried I got desperately nauseous.  

I don't think I ever got to the point where there was no Zoloft at all in my system as I have been taking it for ages and only off three weeks before I reinstated somewhat (then had to quit abrubtly due to symptoms and the Serotonin syndrome scare)

If this doesn't work, I take it I will have to do a reverse taper the other way to get off again and try to heal without it - 

The night before last I had the longest panic attack of my life (six hours) which was followed by a hypomanic day which I felt nearly myself followed by a numb day with depressive thoughts.  Really fast cycling.  

How long before I know if this is working?  Maybe I am already getting signs because I haven't really been able to sleep at all and I was knocked for a loop shortly after my first dose. Itll take about a month to even get up to half my old dose but I suspect that my body is pretty sensitized right now. 

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.  Loving vibes to everyone struggling with this hell. .

Anyone else had to readjust after Serotonin syndrome or med reaction, did it work?

I am afraid if it doesn't I will have significantly prolonged my recovery because I will have to taper off the Zoloft all over again 

This has been a terrifying week with the severe neurological reactions coupled with lack of sleep and nausea and panic attacks.  I hope I am doing the right thing.  

Thanks

• Administrator

Hello, @Roserdl I am confused. You restarted 25mg Zoloft 2 weeks ago? Then you tried 12.5mg? What were the dates? Please include at least the month and year in your signature.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:57 AM, Roserdl said:

Talking to a consult they think this could be a atypical mild case of serotonin sydrome, after ruling it out after ER visits, it was recommended to try a lower dose of Zoloft (12.5 mg) three days ago which resulted in vomiting and severe nausea for a day plus severe restlessness and hypomania although it appeared to relax the numbness and lift the emotional bluntness somewhat

No, it's not serotonin syndrome. You kindled your nervous system, which was sensitized by withdrawal (and likely your history of missing doses), because you took too high a dose of Zoloft for reinstatement.

We see this frequently. We recommend very low doses for reinstatement for this exact reason.

However, since you're even more sensitive now that you've had this kindling reaction, probably the best thing to do is let your nervous system settle down for a while without trying to correct it with drugs, supplements, or strenuous naturopathic regimens.

It's a good sign you slept last night, your nervous system is starting to relax. Please do what you can to stay calm and let the adverse reaction go away. Getting at least a half-hour of gentle exercise per day, such as walking, will help. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was being given different advice on what was happening.

I restarted Zoloft two weeks ago when my depression started returning and stopped after I had a reaction with Ginseng and L tryptophan and L theanine (immediately after a dose of Ginseng, my face went numb - Gingseng shouldn't be taken with Zoloft because of Serotonin syndrome and the supplements I was taking was an attempt to use other means of Serotonin simulators to adjust for being off the Zoloft.  I know now it was totally stupid.  

My symptoms at ER was high blood pressure (for me) and gait symptoms with legs but no temp. 

FIrst ER visit (no on the Serotonin syndrome, take your Zoloft, I did, took 25 mg which made me very nauseous.

Then talked to my med prescriber who thought it WAS serotonin syndrome (so no Zoloft) due to the initial high blood pressure and doing an evaluation on a symptom scale.

Another ER visit for severe muscular leg symptoms (and really no good care at first er evaluation, didn't do anything but blood work and clueless on this issue), so I got a work up with a CAT scan in case there was something else going on

This doctor told me no serotonin syndrome, try a lower dose of Zoloft

I did, 12.5 mg, still made me nauseous but not as much, it was the night after this does of Zoloft I finally slept but the nausea was still too high.  It was the night after I got some Zoloft back on board when I finally slept. 

I stopped all the Zoloft until a meeting with a psychiatrist yesterday who thinks I should do a very slow introduction of Zoloft - he gave me liquid Zoloft and I took 3 mg today which I tolerated okay except for a little diarrhea.  It seemed to make me tired, I took a nap three hours after it.  

I was put on melatonin for sleep as I havent slept but two nights in a week (last night I slept another eight hours with the melatonin)

I have been getting dramatically conflicting advice.  I am pretty traumatized right now between lack of sleep, huge fear of really scary symptoms with moods swinging wildly between total depersonalization, hypomania, and depression.  I am afraid I am never going to be myself again and my symptoms are exhausting.  

So right now, I am on Melatonin 10 mg and 3 mg Zoloft.

I have been up in the air on the Zoloft because it does appear to give symptom relief in some ways. 

I am totally confused and don't know what the right thing is to do.  I choose to try and do really low Zoloft to see since I was getting some symptom improvements after taking it whether I could build back up to a tolerance level where I can take it to alleviate some of these extreme symptoms.  

I don't know what to do anymore.  I thought three miligrams might be low enough to test to see my bodies response and see if it could offer some help

I'll edit my signature line, I am not in the clearest place to be documenting all this - 

Edited by Onmyway
deleted white space at the end

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Roserdl said:

I stopped all the Zoloft until a meeting with a psychiatrist yesterday who thinks I should do a very slow introduction of Zoloft - he gave me liquid Zoloft and I took 3 mg today which I tolerated okay except for a little diarrhea.  It seemed to make me tired, I took a nap three hours after it.

You have withdrawal syndrome. We have 6,000 cases of it here.

Very, very dubious that the combination of Zoloft and ginseng could cause serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome occurs when people are taking too much in serotonergic drugs.

If I were you, I would not increase beyond 3mg for weeks, maybe not at all. It may be enough to gradually relieve the withdrawal symptoms. It is possible that higher doses might trigger kindling again. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Please do not start additional threads in the Introductions forum, or elsewhere if you're updating the status of your condition. Those posts belong in the Intro forum. 

Please be aware you may not get an immediate answer to your posts, since none of the staff is watching the site 24 hours a day, we have lives, too.

I didn't say I didn't have withdrawal, I updated my drug signature - I wasn't just on Ginseng, it was L tryptophan and L theanine as well as Ginseng which all increase serotonin levels and the symptoms very much matched it - - the facial numbness occurred IMMEDIATELY after I took my first dose of the drug (probably a straw that broke the camels back, the reaction was immediate). So between the Zoloft and the supplements it was FOUR serotonin enhancing drugs.  

I know I am in withdrawal, I think it is complicated by the drug interaction/or possible mild case of serotonin syndrome

I have been writing to hope to get some emotional support but no one is responding after several days.  i wasn't trying to disrespect rules.   

I will see how I tolerate the 3 mg over several days and take it super slow.  

Hi @Roserdl

there is something we observe here often which is sensitization to drugs which causes severe symptoms when a drug that was previously tolerated is reintroduced because of what is known as kindling (a term that comes from alcohol withdrawal). It is different from serotonin syndrome and does not require a lot of serotonin. You can have a look here. It can mean that the body might not tolerate any psychoactive drugs for a long time. The more times you have come off of drugs or skipped doses the more likely you are to be kindled. You can read more here. There are some links in that post as well. 

es

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

@Onmyway

Sensitisation absolutely!, 

I only took one vortioxetine after two years off SSRIS and had a serotogenic reaction, albeit mild 

OldDodgy

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

@Onmyway so since I had ss reaction on Zoloft with other meds and 2.5 months later had bad wds dr said reinstate is that why I’m not getting better?  I have been on Zoloft again at my original dose for around  3 1/2 months. My sleep is still horrible. Should I of reinstated a different ssri?  I’ve been on Zoloft 11 years. Is it sensible to wait longer to stabilize or keep suffering symptoms and poor sleep. 

i ct it twice in 1 year. First time was because of a naturopath dr said was better to wean off which was fast. I felt unwell and after 2 months reinstated. Then ss happened months later then I had to ct again til felt better and I wasn’t feeling better then hit horrendous wds.  It’s aweful. Drs hv no clue. I don’t either 

2009 Zoloft 50mg

2011. Ct Zoloft 50mg 11 months when pregnant no issues resumed after breast feeding 

2016 Valium 5mg ever so 1 every 2 weeks  

2021  Jan-Feb fast taper 1 week Zoloft for 2 months ct basically thanks naturopath 

2021  gabapentin for rib pain only took few 

2021  March reinstated 50mg Zoloft 

2021. August 8 had ss episode was taking a lot of over the counter supplements to sleep and overdose of cbd stimulated it 

stopped Zoloft 50mg ct again Valium 5 mg most days because of muscle spasms 

Oct 23 2021  bad withdrawals plus severe insomnia reinstated 25mg Zoloft Oct 25 3 weeks then upped to 50mg currently 

For insomnia2021 starting ambien 10mg Valium 10mg also Oct 27- Jan 8 2022Tried tapering off with hydroxyzine 50-90mg randomly through Feb 8, dayvigo 10mg random days Dec, tried trazadone 50mg 2 times dec23,24,remeron 3 15mg jan31didn’t like feeling tried unisom 50mg Jan 15-21(I’m polydrugged!!)Jan 10-22 0.147mg tried tapering Zoloft 5%  Jan 22 Stopped taper because can’t sleep not feeling stabilized back at 50mg Zoloft 1:30pm2-23 5mg Valium at bedtime 10:00pm2-15 children Zyrtec at bedtime for itchy rib  or hydroxyzine 50-75mg, or cbn sandlandsleep 11pm, and  8pm. 1/4 melatonin 

The combination of sertogenic drugs with the Zoloft appears to have induced a reaction - I had a LOT of the symptoms of the syndrome and it was officially diagnosed as well by one prescriber.  They did it on the scale for measurement and diagnosis and I met the criteria.  I was taking Zoloft with additional serotonin drugs.  The leg muscle rigidity and tensing I was told is classic as well.  L trptophan and l theanine also introduce serotonin plus I was taking fish oil. 

I understand the kindling and it is clear I can not tolerate what I was on before. 12.5 mg brough on nausea. 

It is very clear there may be multiple things going on - increased sensitivity as well.  Definite withdrawal, no question there.  There is also the potential I had a interaction between the Zoloft and the other drug (at this point, the other supplements according to half life should be out of my system).  So there is also a possibility that reintroduction without the other drugs still in my system might be teneable.  It may be with the other drugs in my system that I could not tolerate reintroduction but it may be possible now. 

The 3 mg is a very low dose to see if I can tolerate the Zoloft and if reinstatement is possible.  It isn't that far out from stopping (only fully off three weeks before went back on a couple weeks ago for another week, then had the reaction and told to stop)  I am on a liquid dose, monitoring my reactions now in journal and going to creep up on the dose one miligram at a time.  

It may be it won't work but I have tolerated this dose okay so far for two days - hard to fully tell because I have withdraw symptoms right now and many of the side effects mirror each other.  

I did sleep last night again with the melatonin for eight hours, I haven't had nausea or gastrointestinal symptoms today and everything else seems just like the withdrawal.  

I am working with my prescriber and consulted a psychiatirst with now very small calibriations and if I notice worsening symptoms with tiny increases I won't continue.  At this point, given that I am tolerating the small doses and was getting some positive benefit to reinstating before the serotonin toxicity (which I believe I had do to the symptom presentation which is a bit different than withdrawals). The doctors stated they have had success with reinstatement after sensitivity at higher doses with other people they have treated in the same situation, working up from lower doses.   

I am doing it in tiny tiny increments so if there is a reaction I will see

I am so mad at myself.  I went off to quickly because I was afraid of being on it anymore and I thought I would just add some natural serotonin elevators.  But, no point dwelling on that now as there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.  

On a positive note, I am on no other drugs, so it will be pretty straight forward to monitor the reactions.  Second day taking a low dose and it doesn't seem to be giving any increased symptoms over the withdrawals. Also, the physical symptoms have abated somewhat and I have two nights of sleep in a row. 

I hear you and appreciate the information on the kindling.   If the low doses are not tolerated, then I know it isn't viable and I will stop.  And, just work to heal with cold therapy breathing and exercise and maybe some nutritional counseling.   I am not going to try a bunch of other new drugs if this reintroduction doesn't work.

I will let you know how it goes.  So far two doses of 3 mg have been tolerated with no significant symptoms coming on 

8 hours ago, Roserdl said:

am on a liquid dose, monitoring my reactions now in journal and going to creep up on the dose one miligram at a time.  

Hi Roserdl,

Here we share our experience, the decision what to do with it is up to you. Increasing the dose further has the potential to make things worse for you as your nervous system shows signs of hypersensitivity from your description.

@Roserdl

Hi 

The best advice I have had whilst getting off ADs is that you need to hold if possible to allow the brain to get into a steady state. By adding bits and pieces you are asking your brain to react. Updosing is fraught with issues later. 
I found holding and accepting diverse symptoms the only way to know where I stood. I did reinstate by a third for a few days only before waiting for the stabilising to occur. 
Symptomatically it’s impossible to asses the serotonin situation unless you hold steady for some time. 
I hope things settle soon. 
OldDodgy 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

• Administrator

We see misdiagnosis of serotonin syndrome quite often here. Since doctors don't know how to recognize adverse drugs reactions, some call them all "serotonin syndrome" because they don't know what that is, either. 

If doctors knew what they were doing, this site would not exist.

On 2/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, Roserdl said:

I did sleep last night again with the melatonin for eight hours, I haven't had nausea or gastrointestinal symptoms today and everything else seems just like the withdrawal.  

This is a good sign.

On 2/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, Roserdl said:

I am working with my prescriber and consulted a psychiatirst with now very small calibriations and if I notice worsening symptoms with tiny increases I won't continue.  At this point, given that I am tolerating the small doses and was getting some positive benefit to reinstating before the serotonin toxicity (which I believe I had do to the symptom presentation which is a bit different than withdrawals). The doctors stated they have had success with reinstatement after sensitivity at higher doses with other people they have treated in the same situation, working up from lower doses. 

Reinstatement of the drug would not resolve serotonin toxicity, it's a sign you had withdrawal syndrome.

If you prefer to work with your prescribers, by all means, do so. If your intent is to go off drugs, I would not advise titration upwards to a so-called "therapeutic" dose, that is irrelevant in withdrawal situations. We're not interested in treating so-called psychiatric conditions with "therapeutic" doses.

To go off drugs, what you want to do is find the lowest effective dose to reduce withdrawal symptoms (which may be as low as 3mg), stay at that level until you stabilize (which may take months), then taper off very carefully.

If you decide to go back to your original dose and stay on it, please talk to your doctors about any adverse effects. We do not assist in re-medication, that's what they get paid for.

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

stay at that level until you stabilize (which may take months),

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

See:

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@Altostrata

Brilliantly explained one to print out and put on the fridge door. 

Sadly most docs have no idea how to safely reduce psychotropic meds. It’s like banging your head against a brick wall. My Gp thinks kindling is for lighting fires. 

OldDodgy 

Ok, I am requesting removal of my thread & my case. 

I feel  dismissed in relating my experience and being told carte blanc by administrator that they KNOW exactly what I am experiencing and going through and my own personal experience and professional consults are indicating a drug interaction or serotonin syndrome (which was a couple weeks ago with symptoms resolved enough to try to reintroduce the drug.  I have not stated other things are not occurring and withdrawal is definitely a factor.   There was multiple other sertogenic drugs and other supplements which may have caused a reaction or supplements are unregulated, so that could be a factor. 

I have read all the information in the threads you have provided, so thank you for that.  

I am not stating that sensitization to Sertaline didn't occur nor that withdrawal didn't come into play with being off the drug during cleanse and then during the post reaction period.  What I have been trying to say is there were multiple other factors with multiple Sertogenic drugs with symptoms meeting the evaluation criteria on the scale for diagnosis (including initial high BP and gait disturbances) plus possible drug interactions. 

Additionally, I used the term therapeutic (to alleviate symptoms) and do plan to try to go off once stabilized for months on a appropriate taper.  

I am attempting to find that right dose to stabilize and here I am told not to move off 3 mg for weeks/months until stabilization but how does one test to find the dose which alleviates the withdrawal symptoms through reinstatement but waiting such long time periods and super low doses that it isn't reinstatement, just holding at a non effective dose, akin to just staying cold turkey with lots of symptoms.  

I was told to not even TRY reinstatement by one administrator which I have tolerated with promising effect after a few days and now I am being told to go no higher  (despite doing it now according to the recommended reinstatement guidelines).  

This is not working and I am not asking for anymore advice as it doesn't come across as advice or gentle support.   I am opening to listening and including this information in decisions and have adjusted some of my actions accordingly

So thanks for the input, I have read all the threads and will take what I have learning in going forward in slow reinstatement to alleviate symptoms and find the right holding place until stable enough for full taper.   

Thanks

Edited by Onmyway
removed blank space

• Administrator

We're really happy when members find doctors to suit them! Doctors get paid for their advice, we don't.

Under the circumstances, I thought this was quite generous:

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

To go off drugs, what you want to do is find the lowest effective dose to reduce withdrawal symptoms (which may be as low as 3mg), stay at that level until you stabilize (which may take months), then taper off very carefully.

So if you want to escalate your dosage as your doctor advises, feel free, and take any subsequent kindling reactions to them.

Good luck.

@Roserdl

I am sorry you have not found what you need as a member here. 
Withdrawal can be a very lonely experience and some of your physical symptoms have been unpleasant. 
I fully understand your need for emotional support because of your intense anxiety and I hope you find it. 
We have all experienced these dark moments. 
Nevertheless I think you have received solid advice regarding your situation. 
Only you can decide where you go next and I hope you find solace. 
yours 

OD 

Dear @Roserdl,

glad you found useful information by participating on this site.  We will not be able to remove your thread as per the guidelines: 

Guidelines - Surviving Antidepressants

Hope you find good and competent care for yourself. 

• 2 months later...

First I would like to apologize for leaving in a snit. I was and am devastated and accepting this situation has been very tough.  I was getting so much conflicting opinion and advice from different doctors

I need advice on reinstatement

I reinstated slowly over 3 months to 65 mg zoloft  With partial success. Most of the worst physical symptoms have either disappeared or improved with still reduced body sensation and vision floaters.  Tremors. Nervous jolts. and brain fog depersonalization gone.  Greatly increased body sensation.  Sleeping with melatonin and 3.5 mg remeron 6 to 9 hours.  Slightly off visual perception but massivel improved over earlier on.  Physical symptoms about 70 percent better.  Starting to occasionally get appetite in evenings weight stabilized.  Eating without issue now.   

Emotionally I can now consistently cry (I felt nothing at all initially)   but positive emotions are muted.   Very depressed fear awful in mornings. Evenings are better.  Panic attacks are down anxiety improved, much of it feels situational rather than withdrawal as I have no interest in anything and days are very long

My last increase of zolft to 65 increased vino problems (improved mood)  this was two weeks ago and vision issues are slightly better.  I am thinking of staying put here for a long time and hope to stabilize on this dose. I updosed due to very extreme depression and desire to avoid hospitalization and get forced on more meds.  Family thinks I am being difficult not adding more meds or even  going in for ect but these are not solutions.  And given things are slowly getting better it seems best to just let it stabilize on own. 

How many months should I hold at baseline or improvement  of current symptoms before reducing again

I mostly notice no window or wave pattern. Only gradual improvement of symptoms with some disappearing.  I only had a few hours of occasionally feeling like myself mainly since the last zoloft increase but mostly just feeling flat but much more present.  My biggest struggle is feeling like I won't fully stabilize on the zoloft and wondering how long I should wait to Micro taper after baseline steady.  I realize this can be quite awhie

I am hoping I continue to improve on the zoloft I have been very frightened I will never recover or be happy again.  I am trying to do positive affirmations and spend lots of time outside and appreciating beauty even though I don't feel much.  Trying to limit screen time and force myself to socialize at least a bit with family

I know this is a long process and I should be grateful I have had so much improvement over onset symptom. I feel less empty headed and much more clear.  It's like a very slow filling in rather than on and off improvements which most people describe.

Ty

First I would like to apologize for leaving in a snit. I was and am devastated and accepting this situation has been very tough.  I was getting so much conflicting opinion and advice from different doctors

I need advice on reinstatement

I reinstated slowly over 3 months to 65mg zoloft  With partial success. Most of the worst physical symptoms have either disappeared or improved with still reduced body sensation and vision floaters.  Tremors. Nervous jolts. and brain fog depersonalization gone.  Paralysis and gait issues gone  Greatly increased body sensation.  Sleeping with melatonin and 3.5 mg remeron 6 to 9 hours.  Slightly off visual perception but massivel improved over earlier on.  Physical symptoms about 70 percent better.  Starting to occasionally get appetite in evenings weight stabilized.  Eating without issue now.   Much more clear headed and cognitive issues with struggling with recall and presence gone.  

Emotionally I can now consistently cry (I felt nothing at all initially)   but positive emotions are muted.   Very depressed fear awful in mornings. Evenings are better.  Panic attacks are down anxiety improved, much of it feels situational rather than withdrawal as I have no interest in anything and days are very long.  I have started to get angry and did some pillow punching.  I don't know if a increased array of negative emotions is a good sign but more seem to be filling in.  Angry. Resentful.  Jealous. 

My last increase of zolft to 65 increased viision problems (improved mood)  this was two weeks ago and vision issues are slightly better.  I am thinking of staying put here for a long time and hope to stabilize on this dose. I updosed due to very extreme depression and desire to avoid hospitalization and get forced on more meds.  Family thinks I am being difficult not adding more meds or going in for ect but these are not solutions. 

How many months should I hold at baseline or improvement  of current symptoms before reducing again

I mostly notice no window or wave pattern. Only gradual improvement of symptoms with some disappearing.  I only had a few hours of occasionally feeling like myself mainly since the last zoloft increase but mostly just feeling flat but much more present.  My biggest struggle is feeling like I won't fully stabilize on the zoloft and wondering how long I should wait to Micro taper after baseline steady.  I realize this can be quite awhile.  The emotional blunting started after zoloft withdrawal. It did not occur while I was on it.  I have read a couple of stories where the person held and did eventually see this significantly improve.  I am thinking seeing even small windows of feeling like self since increase may be a good sign this could happen over time. I do laugh occasionally but pretty muted.  Apathy I would say is the only symptom which feel like it has increased.  Very little interest

I am hoping I continue to improve on the zoloft I have been very frightened I will never recover or be happy again.  I am trying to do positive affirmations and spend lots of time outside and appreciating beauty even though I don't feel much.  Trying to limit screen time and force myself to socialize at least a bit with family. I walked in woods and outside today and spent time just working in sun

I know this is a long process and I should be grateful I have had so much improvement over onset symptom with tolerable physical issues and  feel less empty headed and much more clear.  I feel present in roo. When this first happened it felt like my brain was on fire and literally felt like I was missing a piece of it. It's like a very slow filling in rather than on and off improvements which most people describe.  Although I noticed my full body sensations come online for brief periods then partially go off line.  Staying positve is hard because I know I made a lot of mistakes but I also know my healing has been steady and progressing so there is no reason to think it won't continue.

Ty

Any success stories after bad withdrawal and reinstatement

I am currently going through a bad cold turkey withdrawal which only partially responded to reinstatement.  Has anyone recovered after reinstating without full success?   Did you eventually stabilize and successfully taper?  Ty

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic (moved from success stories)

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the link to the search results from "reinstatement" in the Success Stories forum.  You will have to check through them yourself to see whether it was successful for a member:

reinstatement

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator
22 hours ago, Roserdl said:

You might consider reducing when you feel stable, with your sleep restored.

Ty chessie and alto.  I did a search  and there were some people who regained emotions after months back on. Zoloft

Also scrolling through success stpries there seems like people reinstate and the take awhile to stabilize then taper off and get well.   The only symptoms I find unbearable are The apathy and lack of positive feelings.  The rest are livable.  I am extremely distressed over it.  

• Administrator

Emotional anesthesia can also be an adverse effect of the 65mg sertraline you are taking. You may have to cope with it until you can go off.

Alto.  That started before the reinstatement.  The only windows of partial relief came after I raised the last dose albeit only for a few hours.so not worried it made it worse. I couldn't cry tears until march so the total emotional numbing has improved overall with reinstatement.  Last time I upped the dose I had a couple nights with some positive emotions.  Still not stabilized to reduce but probably 60 percent better over February which is better progress than I hoped.  It plan on tapering when the rest of symptoms stabilize either way.   Hopefully the emotional symptoms continue to improve with the rest.  Really glad the brain fog and depersonalization are gone as that left in April.  And though the emotional stuff is wanting I definitely feel more filled in.  Not sure how else to describe it but it doesn't feel like the void anymore.  Feels like being layered in rather than windows and waves.  I am now able to drive and do light yard work.  I actually feel like I had a semi window today felt a light good mood.  I did get a lot of sun and walked in the woods so maybe that's helping things along.  I'm going to just keep telling my brain it's getting better and know I'll get there.  It seems to be helping so far.  Off for a cold shower.

• Administrator

Good to hear you're stabilizing.

Ty you very much alto.  Trying to remember to be grateful for the progress I made rather than upset about what hasn't happened yet.  Reading stories I realized I should be grateful for any progress at this point at all. I was pretty much one dimensional and completely removed from the world  just three months ago with paralysis and couldn't walk straight.  I am holding until I see my withdraw norm.   It is a small miracle I didn't end up on antipsychotics and benzos.  I was not thrilled with the low dose remeron addition but I weighed it against the danger of insomnia and benzos.  Sleep has been steady for two months.  The worst part is the fear which everyone seems to have.  

Signing out again after update.  Mild mood improvement continuing.  Just going to hold as there continues to be gradual continued improvement.  Ty all for your help.  Apathy lifting a no but that may just be the sin and warm weather.

• 2 weeks later...

What is withdrawal normal?  It seems my symptom improvement has kind of leveled off. I am trying to figure out when to start taper.  My sleep is stable on melaton.  At least as stable as it ever was before.   withdrawal.  The depression feels situational.  I ditched the prn remeron for sleep.  If this holds steady can I try to taper?  Ty

My reinstatement was a mixed bag.  It did help some symptoms significantly.  Others not so much.  It didn't really make much worse. It just didn't improve everything.  For the past couple months my symptoms are just holding steady and my sleep stabalized in March.the depression feels situational.   I am thinking of starting slow taper in beginning of July if all holds steady.  Is this too soon?  Or will I see further improvements holding longer.  Ty kindly

• Moderator Emeritus

The idea of reinstatement isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.

We cannot make the decision for you about when you start to taper.  However you do need to take into consideration that your nervous system has taken quite a beating recently (Feb 2022) as well as stopping the PRN mirtazapine so it might be better to hold for longer to give your system a chance to just "be" without it having to make more changes at this time.  Perhaps waiting until August, that will make it 6 months since the reaction to serotonin.

Tapering can also take a toll on us mentally so it's waiting a bit longer might be helpful in that area.

Generally it is better to hold for longer than to risk reducing too soon.  If you made a reduction and get withdrawal symptoms then that is more stress on your nervous system.

And one thing that you might consider doing, after the hold, is only making a small test reduction to begin with, eg 1% reduction, to ensure that your system is ready for you to start reducing the Zoloft.