SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

WannaBbetterfireman: Need experienced guidance for Lexapro taper gone wrong

WannaBbetterfireman

I’ve spent 18 months on 10mg Lexapro following rough a divorce. I experienced slight sexual sides while on 10mg but tolerated them. I found nothing but I gnorant doctors with bogus taper plans so far. So, I did moderate research to create my own taper plan. I decreased by 25% every other day in 14 day intervals (ex. 10mg day 1, 7.5mg day 2 for 14 days. Then 7.5 everyday for 14 days. Then 7.5/.5 alternating. I got to .5 every day and almost immediately started experiencing extreme emotional blunting, zero sex drive, brain fog, low concentration, anxiety, and some minor sleep disturbance. That was 7 days ago and I have to stop the “bleeding”. I’m terrified of permanent damage.

Please help. I’m 34yo, have 5 children, in a loving and passionate relationship, full time firefighter, and own a couple businesses. There’s a lot of people that look to me for love and guidance. I cannot loose myself. In a panic, I’ve reinstated 7.5mg(yesterday) but have no plan or reliable guidance. I would pay any amount of money in the world for suggestions. I’m relentlessly trying to find a Dr. who’s well educated. However, it may be too late to avoid permanent or long lasting damage by the time I get a consult. Again, please help. I will be eternally grateful!!

Edited by ChessieCat
Resized font added spacing

2018 Testosterone 100mg, Anastrozole .5mg, Finasteride .5 (all 2x week simultaneously) 

2020 Lexapro 10mg

Dec. 2021 started taper 

Feb. 2022 down to 5mg daily. Significant withdrawal starts(E.D., low drive, disassociation, sleep disturbance)

Feb. 19/22 reinstate 7.5/5mg alternating every other day with immediate improvement in symptoms 

• ChessieCat changed the title to WannaBbetterfireman: Need experienced guidance for Lexapro taper gone wrong

@WannaBbetterfireman

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site with member such as you tapering off medications.

This is your introduction page, where you will receive information, you can ask questions, and meet members going through what you are. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can you please create a signature. Then we know all the medications you were on. Thanks.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I can tell you without a doubt, you tapered way too fast. Lexapro is very hard to taper off of. It took me 4 years to taper off of 10 mg.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction PSSD

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

At this point, I would hold for a long time to stabilize once again. Once you have stabilized, we don't recommend anymore than tapering 10% a month. A lot of other members even find that too fast.

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

After you read these links, please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you for promptly responding. Ive read the suggested articles and feel much more educated. I’ve reinstated my previous taper amount of 7.5/5mg alternating every other day. I’m aware my alternating dose taper plan was ill advised but it I didn’t know what else to do other than return to the last tolerable foothold. I’m feeling better but not completely symptom free. I could use a little help correcting my plan at this point. What can I do to stabilize and or improve my dosing schedule? Should I go back to 7.5 everyday? Drop my 7.5 days by 10%? Split the difference and dose 6.25 everyday? I realize that my self concocted plan is a little unique and I haven’t been able to find any testimony resembling mine. Thoughts?

2018 Testosterone 100mg, Anastrozole .5mg, Finasteride .5 (all 2x week simultaneously) 

2020 Lexapro 10mg

Dec. 2021 started taper 

Feb. 2022 down to 5mg daily. Significant withdrawal starts(E.D., low drive, disassociation, sleep disturbance)

Feb. 19/22 reinstate 7.5/5mg alternating every other day with immediate improvement in symptoms 

@WannaBbetterfireman

Could you reinstate at 5 mg every day or were the symptoms way too much? Skipping days is not something you w t to do because the Lexapro will not stay steady in your bloodstream.

If 5 mg is not eough, then I would do the 6.25. But make sure you’re taking it everyday.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Ya. The 5mg everyday is when I started feeling intolerable withdrawal. I’ve never skipped a dose but I alternate daily between 5mg and 7.5. I’ll have to get liquid to go to 6.25. Not sure how long it’ll take but I’ll get to work on it now. 

2020 Lexapro 10mg

Dec. 2021 started taper 

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I finally got my hands on liquid escitalopram and started the 6.25 everyday protocol 4 days ago. It’s been pretty rough. I’m struggling to concentrate and have some depression symptoms as well as low sex drive. Is it wiser to reinstate higher or continue for longer? Also, are there any supplements that have proven to help like pycnogenol or psilocybin microdosing? 

2020 Lexapro 10mg

Dec. 2021 started taper