heron1967: tapering mirtazapine

heron1967

Hello All,

I only just joined. I've very recently discovered that I'm getting severe withdrawals from the Mirtazapine I've been trying to stop for the last couple months.

I took 45mg for about a year in around 2005 and didn't seem to have any problem tapering it over a few weeks that time (age 38). But now aged 54 I've been on 15mg since August 2021 and am struggling to reduce it. I went briefly up to 30mg for 4 weeks and cut it back to 15mg in November 2021 with no particular problems I was aware of at the time, beyond my usual fluctuating sleep and anxiety (which have not been helped by Mirtazapine apart from the first 3 or 4 weeks, after which the benefits wore off).

I've then twice tried to reduce the drug in the last 2 months, before discovering from reading around that I was going too fast. The first time I reduced by a quarter, but after a week my sleep worsened, and I had unpleasant flushes and much worse anxiety. The second time, I reduced by one eighth (pill cutting, but a bit inaccurate I think) and the same thing happened after a week. It resolved when I took 15mg again. One of the problems is that when I don't sleep my existing anxiety and mood problems re-emerge, so I get a horrible combination of withdrawal plus my existing cyclical anxiety and self-criticism and poor sleep. A vicious cycle. I was also struggling to work due to poor concentration. It improved again when back on 15mg.

I have just persuaded the GP to prescribe Mirtazapine liquid this time, but they were reluctant! I am wondering how to start the tapering, and would value advice on this. Given that I had a bad reaction to reducing by 1/8 very recently, I wonder if starting with a 10% reduction will still be too fast for me and I should go slower - maybe 5% and see how it goes?

• ChessieCat changed the title to heron1967: tapering mirtazapine
  • Administrator

Welcome, @heron1967

On 2/23/2022 at 2:54 AM, heron1967 said:

Given that I had a bad reaction to reducing by 1/8 very recently, I wonder if starting with a 10% reduction will still be too fast for me and I should go slower - maybe 5% and see how it goes?

Slower tapering might be better for you. But first, it seems you've had a bad few rounds. Do you feel any effects from the mirtazapine? Are you taking any other drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.