SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Mdawg: 13 years of fluvoxamine and others

Mdawg

Hello All,

I will begin by trying to convey the depth of my appreciation for this group.  It is truly a life saver.  I have so much love for everyone here.  The work we are tasked with can be thankless and soul crushing.

I got celiac disease at age 11, which to my understanding is an autoimmune disease that causes the immune system to attack the gastrointestinal tissue.  According to Google, some 90% of our innate serotonin supply is created by the lining of the intestines.

At the same time I came down with a terrible case of trichotillomania and OCD. At 12 I was taken to a child psychiatrist and given Prozac, which felt like a lobotomy.  Due to my dislike for it then at 13 I was given Zoloft, which made me fat and also lobotomy.  

None of these did anything for the symptoms.  At 14 I was taken to an off duty forensic psychiatrist that was running a family practice on the side temporarily at Massachusetts General Hospital (my mom still spares no words in trying to convince me that this is the best hospital in the entire world). This guy sat me in his office with my parents, they all stare at me saying repeatedly “the ball is in your court” to change my behavior myself or they’ll have to medicate me.  The guy kept talking to me like it was all my fault.  They medicated me.  I was started on 50mg of Fluvoxamine, an apparently rarely used and barely heard of SSRI only approved to treat symptoms of OCD.

I remember looking out the window of my parents house after starting the drug and feeling completely comfortably numb.  Slightly lost feeling, separated from the world, but too numb to care.  

The doc upped my dose gradually, because surprise surprise, I still had OCD and trich. 

my dose was gradually increased to 150 mg XL. Surprise surprise, I still had OCD and trich - and I could feel nothing.  No emotions good or bad, large or small, no thoughts great or tiny other than the feeling of numbness and being lost in my own head.  Since the psychiatrist had told me in what I now acknowledge as an abusive manner that “the ball was in my court “ or “I would have to be medicated “, I believed this was my fault, and this was how I was supposed to be treated. My mom would give me my pills every night, and encourage me to take them like a good girl.

I remained believing this for 12 years.

Soon after I got on the pills at 14, I developed a full spectrum eating disorder that lasted many years.  The side effects of the pills were central nervous system numbness, physical hyperactivity, restlessness, and lack of appetite. 

At age 17 I began cutting myself, now I realize it was because I was numb. I went in and out of eating disorder treatment in high school.  I felt like a child still, like I was stunted in brain development. My mom was controlling.

Between 17 and 27 I had suicidal thoughts almost daily, some worse than others.  Exercise became my only refuge.

I was sent off to college by my parents.  They gave me a “choice” of a few colleges they selected, I didn’t care so I picked one.  As a kid before all this I had wanted to be a marine biologist. So they paid for me to go study marine biology at University of Rhode Island.  When I got there I was given also Lexapro and for my “anxiety “ and obviously worsened.  
I exercised diligently every day, but everything else was second.

After the first semester I dropped out and took one off at home.  Still exercising, not much else.  I worked at some bakeries because during the eating disorder I got good at cake decorating.  My parents sent me off again to Umass Amherst to transfer after my semester off.

When I got there I was put additionally on an antipsychotic, don’t remember why.  

All I could do was distance running, even though this whole time I managed to not fail most of my classes via caffeine.  My roommates staged an intervention for me because they could see I was not doing my work.  I just cried and felt helpless, at that point I had forgotten what was wrong with me.

Second semester at UMass I went off the two other drugs, stayed on Fluvoxamine.

I could only ever care about exercise, while peripherally focusing on studies.  My parents enabled this for another 3-4 years after that.  In 2018 I finally chose to drop out despite my parents pressure to keep trying.  They never understood or believed that I was suicidal, but that’s what made me throw in the towel.  

My trauma had lead me to forget the root cause of my issues, despite the fact that I was taking a pill every night.  I believed that, this is what I have to do, because I am flawed, I was born different and this is what I have to do.

It was such a deeply rooted belief.

When I saw my psychiatrist at the time who is now my current one, I told him how depressed I was, and he INCREASED THE DOSE to 200mg.  I almost died and he decreased.  DIDNT suggest I go off, just went back to original 150.

At 23 I finally started smoking weed, because I had been holding off because I didn’t want to do drugs (!!!!!!!) and gave in because deep down I needed change, and this would make me feel different.

I went back to my current psychiatrist to discuss (FINALLY ) my attention issues.  He (instead of taking me off) added Wellbutrin and heavily discouraged weed.

I was smoking still, and with Wellbutrin I could pay attention now with the side effect anxiety being covered by weed.  I stayed like that for 2 years, until the pandemic.

When Covid hit and my teaching job went home, I realized that this is my chance.  Something big is happening.  I had been smoking a lot of weed every day to the point where I was questioning every single one of my past decisions …

I decided it was time to go off Fluvoxamine.

I tapered probably faster than I should have and also while still on Wellbutrin and weed, but the pandemic gave me time and I collected unemployment. 

2 years later, here I am on about 20 mg Fluvoxamine, NO Wellbutrin, and mostly CBD when it comes to weed.  

I was privileged enough to discover my passion for Freediving, breath-hold diving down deep in the ocean. It requires mental fortitude, peace, release of control, acceptance, and some athletic ability.

It has given me a reason to live.

I was thinking of maybe getting on Ritalin so I can find a job faster etc, but I’m wary now of starting down that road.

So for now, I’m continuing to taper Fluvoxamine, my goal is zero and every withdrawal is accompanied with feeling again, and healing.  I pay close attention to hyper-nutrition and gentle supplementation, which I won’t list any but I highly recommend Andrew Huberman podcast and Daniel Amen.

Thank you for reading, here’s to healing, creatively rewiring our own brains, and accepting ourselves with loving kindness as the meditation gurus we can be.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

2007-Prozac then off replaced with Zoloft 

2008- Off Zoloft replaced with Fluvoxamine 

2008-2009 50mg Fluvoxamine 

2009-2020 150mg Fluvoxamine 

2013-14 addition of Lexapro and Zyprexa

2015 back to only Fluvoxamine 

2019-2021 additional 150mg Wellbutrin 

2020-present taper off Fluvoxamine and Wellbutrin 

2022 - mid-February - last dose 25 mg Wellbutrin

July 2021 25 (12.5 twice a day) mg Fluvoxamine hold

switch to compounded XR 12.5 mg Fluvoxamine capsules twice a day mid July 2022

Magnesium, Fish Oil, microdose CBD 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mdawg: 13 years of fluvoxamine and others
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Mdawg. 

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

Very glad to read you've discovered your passion and are working to get off these drugs in order to pursue your dreams. 

Here is some information on Fluvoxamine, as well as information on withdrawal in general:

Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

Please let us know more about the most recent months of your taper. How fast are you tapering? How is your sleep? 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to ask questions and to document your taper. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I have moved the new topic you created and merged it with the existing topic.  There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new topic please do a search to see if one already exists.  You can use the site search function or a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

psychedelic-mushrooms-ayahuasca-and-other-hallucinogens

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ok thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

@MdawgThanks for adding your signature. 

What month in 2021 did you stop taking Wellbutrin? 

How fast are you tapering Fluvoxamine? 

On 2/27/2022 at 4:55 PM, Mdawg said:

I pay close attention to hyper-nutrition and gentle supplementation, which I won’t list any but I highly recommend Andrew Huberman podcast and Daniel Amen.

Please go ahead and list your supplements. Some supplements can cause problems with people dealing with withdrawal. If you list them, we can help you sort out any problems that may be coming from the supplements versus withdrawal symptoms. 

Okay thanks for your response.  I tapered Wellbutrin and eventually stopped two weeks ago.  I was on 25 mg of Fluvoxamine for a long time, now I’m trying to do 20 mg but I at this point cannot seem to do calculations very well, so I cut the 50 mg pills into quarters and then the quarters roughly in half and take 3 of those.  I know it’s not very exact so I have an appointment with psychiatrist tomorrow, I’m going to ask for as much 25 mg pills as I can get, in addition to 50 mg and liquid Prozac for the bridge at the end because I’m moving to the Caribbean for a while in less than 3 weeks for Freediving.

I looked up how to do a diy liquid and I’m going to try that with the 50 mg pills.

Right now I take lions mane, reishi and Chaga mushrooms, as well as ginkgo and occasionally l theanine. Also Vitamin K2 and D3 and calcium because I’m healing a broken rib. Occasionally cordyceps mushroom for freedive performance. Rarely coffee.

Also, I think I’ve hit a wall with anything less than 25 mg Fluvoxamine.  When do you recommend adding Prozac, and how?

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Mdawg said:

I tapered Wellbutrin and eventually stopped two weeks ago.

Thanks for this information. I updated your signature to reflect this. Please review your signature to make sure it's accurate. 

19 hours ago, Mdawg said:

Right now I take lions mane, reishi and Chaga mushrooms, as well as ginkgo and occasionally l theanine. Also Vitamin K2 and D3 and calcium because I’m healing a broken rib. Occasionally cordyceps mushroom for freedive performance. Rarely coffee.

Please use the search feature of the website or google "survivingantidepressants.org" + [name of supplement] to get other members' experience with these. We only recommend magnesium and fish oil, as other supplements can cause problems with people who have destabilized nervous systems. If you've been on these supplements a long time and they aren't causing problems, you may be okay. Please note that some people because sensitive to supplements, foods, etc. during their taper, so the simpler you can keep it, the better. 

16 hours ago, Mdawg said:

Also, I think I’ve hit a wall with anything less than 25 mg Fluvoxamine.  When do you recommend adding Prozac, and how?

This wall may not be due to fluvoxamine itself, but due to the speed of your taper. I'm not an expert at the Prozac Bridge, so I'll report you post so that other moderators knowledgeable in the bridge can help you out. In the meantime, please read over this thread:

The Prozac switch or "bridging" with fluoxetine

Also, please answer these questions, as it will provide the background information needed to help decide if the bridge is the right way to go or if you may need to adjust the way you're tapering your current drug:

1. What dose of Wellbutrin did you stop at two weeks ago?

2. How fast did you taper Wellbutrin?

3. How fast are you tapering your current drug, fluvoxaine?

4. When you say you've "hit a wall with anything less than 25 mg fluvoxamine," what are your symptoms? How much sleep are you getting? 

5. Please list the times of day you are taking your drug and the supplements. Also list the doses. 

Thanks for your feedback.  I ended with just a tiny sliver of a 100mg immediate release tablet of Wellbutrin making me feel “high” so I just stopped after that.  I don’t take the mushrooms every day, and I don’t take anything on a strict schedule.  I will press on the brakes with supplementation now, I took your advice with the fish oil and magnesium although haven’t taken yet.

My Wd symptoms are fast heartbeat and sweating, shivering etc.  so I’m scaling back the taper, just had a psychiatrist appointment.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, Mdawg said:

Hi mdawg, good job on your intro! I’m sorry for all you have gone thru at such a young age.  You’ve done amazing on your tapers. Your young brain will heal.  Can you tell me who mentioned the Prozac bridge with Luvox? I’m constantly told by numerous “professionals” that I have to do a complete washout of Luvox for two weeks before adding any other SSRI’s. Sending solidarity !

1993-1994  klonopin/Zoloft 

1997-2018 Zolft or Paxil or Lexapro or Prozac and Klonopin or Xanax 

2019—Mirtazipine, Luvox, Klonopin 

2019 Tapered Mirtazipine and Klonopin 

2020-2021—Luvox taper from 100 mg dizzy, boaty, tinnitus, disabled, hopeless 

Jan 2022 Luvox liquid 16.5 mg 

Feb 2022 Luvox liquid 19 increased after weeks of boatiness, still not stable 

Hi Warriormaiden, thank you for reading! My psychiatrist mentioned it once, but I’ve decided against it as my psychiatrist also suggested I skip doses to taper when first starting, so you can ignore that bit I’m not getting my hands dirty with any other type of crap lol.

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, Mdawg said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I ended with just a tiny sliver of a 100mg immediate release tablet of Wellbutrin making me feel “high” so I just stopped after that.  I don’t take the mushrooms every day, and I don’t take anything on a strict schedule.  I will press on the brakes with supplementation now, I took your advice with the fish oil and magnesium although haven’t taken yet.

Pressing the brakes on the supplementation sounds like a great idea. Please note if you do opt for fish oil and magnesium, to add them in one at a time. Please see:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

21 hours ago, Mdawg said:

My Wd symptoms are fast heartbeat and sweating, shivering etc.  so I’m scaling back the taper, just had a psychiatrist appointment.

Do you remember at one point during your taper when these symptoms started? If you kept notes or can recall, please list the month and year these symptoms started and the drugs and doses you were on. It's possible a small updose may help, but we'd need to know more details to guide you in the amount to updose. 

12 hours ago, Mdawg said:

Hi Warriormaiden, thank you for reading! My psychiatrist mentioned it once, but I’ve decided against it as my psychiatrist also suggested I skip doses to taper when first starting, so you can ignore that bit I’m not getting my hands dirty with any other type of crap lol.

Please clarify, Mdawg. Are you no longer interested in the Prozac Bridge? The bridge may be problematic in your case, so I understand your hesitancy. You've had so many changes with other ADs, it may be best to continue on with your current drug and possibly do a slight updose to help, rather than change to a completely new drug. But I want to make sure we're on the same page. 

What we need:

1. Any information you have about your previous reductions when the symptoms of fast heartbeat, sweating, and shivering first began - drugs you were taking and the month and year, if you can recall. 

2. If you still are interested in the Prozac Bridge. 

3. The taper speed for the past few months for both Wellbutrin and Fluvoxamine - have you been doing 10% reductions or less or going faster? This information will help us guide you going forward. 

1. It began last week, when I attempted to reduce the dose of Fluvoxamine from 25 mg to 12.5.  So I am now slowly increasing the dose back to 25 mg.

2. I am steering clear of any additional drugs.

3. When you say 10% is it of the original dose, or exponential?  I’ve been tapering Fluvoxamine in 25 mg increments, which has worked out ok and skidded to a halt at the last 25, which I will stay at for now and later continue reducing by the smallest possible amount.  The Wellbutrin tapered from 150XL to 75 immediate release when I broke my rib in December, and then a 25 mg reduction each week for roughly 3 weeks, which did not seem to cause problems and my system was eager to be rid of it.

Also I first went from 50 mg to 25 mg Fluvoxamine in July 2021, while still on 150 mg Wellbutrin.  In September I went from 25 to 12.5 while still on 150 mg Wellbutrin, and it was a bad experience for a week or two with anxiety, stress and hyperactivity so I increased back to 25.  Then end of November I increased again to 50 mg Fluvoxamine while still on full dose of Wellbutrin as I was in a mentally tough place with seasonal depression.  That lasted about a week or two until I slowly went back to 25.  End of December is when I began reducing Wellbutrin.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Mdawg said:

1. It began last week, when I attempted to reduce the dose of Fluvoxamine from 25 mg to 12.5.  So I am now slowly increasing the dose back to 25 mg.

You're doing the right thing by increasing your dose. The sooner you can get it back up to 25 mg, the better. The reason I say this is because the farther away you are from a reduction, the more sensitive your nervous system can be to reinstatements and updosing. This thread is in reinstatements, but it may help to read the first post for context that also applies to updosing. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

4 hours ago, Mdawg said:

3. When you say 10% is it of the original dose, or exponential?  

It's 10% of your previous dose (not the original dose). Please see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

4 hours ago, Mdawg said:

I’ve been tapering Fluvoxamine in 25 mg increments, which has worked out ok and skidded to a halt at the last 25, which I will stay at for now and later continue reducing by the smallest possible amount.

As you'll note after reading that last link, "Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?," reducing this quickly is far too fast. These drugs come with a delayed withdrawal, so you may not be experiencing the full extent of the damage yet. I'm not saying this to scare you, but to give you important information. Some doctors will try to gaslight their patients into believing they're having a relapse of the problem that got them on these drugs, but delayed withdrawal is well-known in the research. So please keep this in mind and do all you can to protect your sensitive nervous system. 

Let's play it by ear to see what dose is best for staving off withdrawal symptoms. Even if you need to go higher than 25 mg, that's okay. The important thing is to get you feeling better and able to function. 

4 hours ago, Mdawg said:

The Wellbutrin tapered from 150XL to 75 immediate release when I broke my rib in December, and then a 25 mg reduction each week for roughly 3 weeks, which did not seem to cause problems and my system was eager to be rid of it.

You may be okay without it. While you're increasing the Fluvoxamine, you wouldn't want to reinstate Wellbutrin, as we recommend only one change at a time. And it sounds like you're more comfortable not taking this drug any more. 

I also want to mention a MAJOR drug interaction between these two drugs:

Drug Interaction Report - fluvoxamine and Wellbutrin

You didn't mention how you were injured, but it's possible this drug interaction could have affected your balance or ability to perform doing activities such as free diving, etc.  It's no wonder you're feeling better off it!

As you continue to track your progress with the updose, you may find this information helpful in learning to gage your symptoms:

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What dose of fluvoxamine are you currently taking? Are you close to being back at the 25 mg dose?  

Hello thank you for your information.  I have reinstated 25 mg today.  I’m scared.  I think I will be okay but I’m so angry.  Likely all my THC and CBD use was the only thing stopping me from seizures.  

How fast would you recommend going back up to 50? I feel I have been too hard on myself and I needed someone to tell me it’s okay to go back up to 50.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Mdawg said:

How fast would you recommend going back up to 50? I feel I have been too hard on myself and I needed someone to tell me it’s okay to go back up to 50.

You're doing fine, Mdawg. For the next few days, please stick to the 25 mg. It's important to establish a solid baseline and the best way to do this is to be very consistent for a few days. It can take 4 days for your nervous system to register a change and a few weeks for your mind/body to stabilize, so you may experience some windows and waves along the way. Please see:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When were you last at 50 mg? How were you feeling when you were last at the 50 mg dose? 

I was last at 50 mg in November/ early December, I remember feeling good if a little foggy but I was still on 150 mg Wellbutrin back then.

14 hours ago, Shep said:

Pressing the brakes on the supplementation sounds like a great idea. Please note if you do opt for fish oil and magnesium, to add them in one at a time. Please see:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Do you remember at one point during your taper when these symptoms started? If you kept notes or can recall, please list the month and year these symptoms started and the drugs and doses you were on. It's possible a small updose may help, but we'd need to know more details to guide you in the amount to updose. 

Please clarify, Mdawg. Are you no longer interested in the Prozac Bridge? The bridge may be problematic in your case, so I understand your hesitancy. You've had so many changes with other ADs, it may be best to continue on with your current drug and possibly do a slight updose to help, rather than change to a completely new drug. But I want to make sure we're on the same page. 

What we need:

1. Any information you have about your previous reductions when the symptoms of fast heartbeat, sweating, and shivering first began - drugs you were taking and the month and year, if you can recall. 

2. If you still are interested in the Prozac Bridge. 

3. The taper speed for the past few months for both Wellbutrin and Fluvoxamine - have you been doing 10% reductions or less or going faster? This information will help us guide you going forward.

Wow thank goodness for this post. You are getting great information.  Im going to follow this advice as I’m not really getting anywhere with my questions. 
Can Shep please provide information about the Prozac bridge ? 

1993-1994  klonopin/Zoloft 

1997-2018 Zolft or Paxil or Lexapro or Prozac and Klonopin or Xanax 

2019—Mirtazipine, Luvox, Klonopin 

2019 Tapered Mirtazipine and Klonopin 

2020-2021—Luvox taper from 100 mg dizzy, boaty, tinnitus, disabled, hopeless 

Jan 2022 Luvox liquid 16.5 mg 

Feb 2022 Luvox liquid 19 increased after weeks of boatiness, still not stable 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/3/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mdawg said:

I was last at 50 mg in November/ early December, I remember feeling good if a little foggy but I was still on 150 mg Wellbutrin back then.

Let's see how you do with the 25 mg. It's been a good three months since you were last on 50 mg, so your nervous system may hyper-react to that dose now. If you're stabilizing on 25 mg Fluvoxamine, you may want to hold at 25 mg. 

You may want to go ahead and get started on the non-drug coping skills at this point:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

There's lots to explore and the majority of links involve free resources available online. Learning mindfulness, gentle yoga, ways of calming your nervous system, etc. can all be very helpful during your journey off these drugs. You'll also see links to Dealing With Emotional Spirals,  "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms, and Neuro-emotion -- all very helpful for learning how to manage the emotional aspects of withdrawal. This is especially important for people who were drugged as children or teenagers and haven't been allowed to manage emotions without drugs. The long process of tapering and healing gives us plenty of practice to try out these techniques and walk away from this experience able to handle anything that comes our way. 

Hi Shep,

thank you for the advice I will stay at 25mg.  I just read your success story and I definitely relate.

I have experienced depersonalization since age 12 that was made worse by the drugs not even treating my OCD symptoms that garnered the wrong type of middle school attention.

I remember the drugs pooping out at 17 because that’s when I got real bad depression, and I believe they stayed pooped out so I still had all the side effects but thankfully developed an array of coping strategies.

It is strange to think that I grew up without a solid sense of self, and I remember feeling completely dissociated and lost much of the time.  Friends in college sometimes said I was unusually open minded and patient and quiet, but there’s a distinction between open mindedness and lack of a solid identity.

Having experienced suicidal thoughts for a decade during my formative years has, I believe, crystallized my mental endurance as the “observer “.  This past year during withdrawal, I went to Costa Rica in July for an open air 200 hour yoga teacher training in the jungle ( I still haven’t completed the last two written essays for it due to brain fog but the teacher is very accommodating) and learned about yogic philosophy, which cemented and she’d light on the efficacy of different coping strategies and states of being.  The month before that is when I took my first Freediving courses and coaching, where I discovered that these years of constant exercise ( my number one coping strategy ) combined with depersonalization have created in me the perfect cocktail of skills for Freediving.  I also realized soon after that my torso and arms are rather long in comparison with the rest of my body (large lungs) and I had been slightly self conscious about it growing up because it meant didn’t have long legs and am a very slow runner, so everything happens for a reason.  I also discovered after doing breath work at the yoga teacher training that I have a severely deviated septum, which likely contributed to my CO2 tolerance.  When I took my first Freediving courses, after 3 weeks I dove on 1 breath each to 35 meters of depth, 50 meters of distance and held my breath staying still floating face down for 4 minutes 15 seconds.

Each time I get a wave or a window, I ride it out and feel excited about the possibilities and potential of new depths and reconvening with the pressure-hug of mother ocean.

Also, I did all that while still on 150 mg of Wellbutrin with that nasty drug interaction, and as my first time traveling alone!!

I apologize if that sounded a little braggy lol.  But also I’m trying to express myself more, as that is the most frustrating symptom of depersonalization for me-feeling mute.

I’m so grateful for this support group!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, Mdawg said:

thank you for the advice I will stay at 25mg.

That sounds like a solid plan.

Your activities and experiences are very much in line with the type of coping skills required for handling withdrawal. Please let us know how you're doing over the coming days and if you feel the updose is helping. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have traveled abroad alone to the Caribbean to the place I have been before, and I’ve been on 25 mg ever since we last spoke.  However, the anticipation and the day of travel triggered MAJOR waves, and I definitely feel that I need to up the dose to more than 25 mg.  I’m also going to cut my trip short, keep it to 1 month instead of 2 or 3, and I’m going to rest and chill instead of getting right back into diving just yet, as my rib is still healing and also I’m not sure that my nervous system can handle diving now. I did not bring any cannabis with me as was to be expected, they do grow it here and it’s legal so I’m getting some today in the interest of maintaining homeostasis in all other areas.

I’ve been taking 25 mg split between night and morning, so last night I took 25 mg at night and I was planning to take another 12.5 this morning, to total 1.5 x 25 mg.

Do you think I should go right back up to 50, or try this in-between, 37.5?

Thank you for your help.

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, Mdawg said:

I did not bring any cannabis with me as was to be expected, they do grow it here and it’s legal so I’m getting some today in the interest of maintaining homeostasis in all other areas.

I’ve been taking 25 mg split between night and morning, so last night I took 25 mg at night and I was planning to take another 12.5 this morning, to total 1.5 x 25 mg.

Do you think I should go right back up to 50, or try this in-between, 37.5?

Mdawg, it's possible the increase in symptoms is from going without cannabis, if your body had become dependent, or at least this may be making it worse.

Since you're reinstating the cannabis, I would see if that helps before increase your antidepressant. Only one change at a time.

Let us know how you feel over the next couple of days. 

17 minutes ago, Mdawg said:

I’m also going to cut my trip short, keep it to 1 month instead of 2 or 3, and I’m going to rest and chill instead of getting right back into diving just yet, as my rib is still healing and also I’m not sure that my nervous system can handle diving now.

This sounds like a great idea. Give yourself time to recover. 

Thank you for your timely response ❤️

Hi,

I didn’t get weed thank goodness and I flew back home.  I’m stopping THC use because it makes me more anxious and just using CBD from now on. It turns out Freediving and solo travel was just the Wellbutrin and drugs.  I’m glad to be home.

I’m going to do it gradually in terms of getting off THC.  No more edibles, just dry herb vaping, occasionally smoking in case I don’t have the vape on me.

• Moderator Emeritus

@MdawgIt's good you moved back home and are prioritizing your health and getting off these drugs. I would deal with the THC and CBD issue (as you say, slow tapering), and then give yourself several weeks (or even several months) to stabilize before attempting to taper the psych drugs. Getting a good baseline will set the stage for a much easier taper experience. 

Please let us know how you're doing over the coming days. 

Thank you Shep, it’s very helpful to have you on my side.

I’m feeling very disregulated, and I’m wondering if I should go up to 50, since the Wellbutrin was increasing the Fluvoxamine and I can feel the absence 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Mdawg said:

I’m wondering if I should go up to 50, since the Wellbutrin was increasing the Fluvoxamine

Q:  What dose of fluvoxamine are you currently taking?

Q:  How bad are your symptoms?

When I was considering updosing I would ask myself:  if these symptoms continue can I live with them?  If I felt that I could tolerate them then I would not updose.  If the symptoms were unbearable I would make a small increase.

If you are going to updose then it is generally better to do this in small increments.  It takes about 4 days for a days to get to full/steady level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If you notice some improvement after 1 week then wait another week and then reassess.  If you notice no improvement after 1 week then you could increase a small amount more.

It is better to do is gradually than to risk taking too much.

The idea of updosing is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management