SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HopefulHedgehog: Pregabalin taper

HopefulHedgehog

Hi everyone! I'm Xenia R from the FB Lyrica Survivors group. I have been taking Pregabalin since 2016 for anxiety and insomnia. I decided to start tapering in September 2021 as I no longer want to be dependent on it. Since then I more or less slowly came down to 130mg/day. 

The journey has been very smooth so far, but a few days ago everything changed and I need urgent advice on tapering. I came to Ukraine a few weeks ago to visit my family. Those that follow the news know what's going on here. At the moment I'm stuck here for god knows how long, most pharmacies are closed and those that are open receive no deliveries, therefore I'm in danger of being left without Pregabalin in worst case. I have supply for about 2 months now if I continue slow 10%/month taper. I don't know if I will be able to get more or how soon. So I'm in a sticky situation now and have to calculate the risks. What's worse, to speed up the taper so I can extend my current supply for longer and risk some withdrawals, or to keep the current rate of taper and risk unwanted cold turkey in worst case, with significant withdrawals? I never experienced any withdrawal symptoms despite making some larger drops in the past (25% drop in 2018, 17% drop in September 2021), so I'm seriously considering going faster... I know that it's dangerous and this is the worst time to continue even a slow taper, but cold turkey would be so much worse. I'm lost and scared, no idea what to do. Can anyone share their thoughts? Thank you so much!

I'm Xenia R from the FB Lyrica Survivors group.  My Intro topic.

2014 - 2016: Quetiapine. Stopped cold turkey.
2016 - 2017: Escitalopram. Stopped cold turkey.
2016 - present day: Pregabalin. Started at 50mg and gradually increased to 400mg. In 2018 dropped to 300mg and stayed there until September 2021, when I started a slow taper. Currently at 130mg/day.

@HopefulHedgehog

Welcome to SA.

I'm going to give you a link to the Lyrica FB page so you can get started with them.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us and we will be happy to help.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

@MerryJayneFriday

Are you able to assist HH please?  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

I have an update. I'm back home now, so fortunately I didn't have to speed up my taper. I'm still at 130mg/day now. This is one of those situations that make dependence on any kind of drugs, especially psychiatric, so dangerous... I'm glad to be on the way to freedom (no matter how long it takes), and that Pregabalin is the last one of those drugs. 

P.S. May I ask dear moderators to change the topic title to the following: "HopefulHedgehog: Pregabalin taper"? Thank you!

2016 - present day: Pregabalin. Started at 50mg and gradually increased to 400mg. In 2018 dropped to 300mg and stayed there until September 2021, when I started a slow taper. Currently at 130mg/day.

• ChessieCat changed the title to HopefulHedgehog: Pregabalin taper

Do you know how and where to donate medicine to in Ukraine?  I have some old psychiatric medication that I would donate to Ukraine but I don’t know how.  I looked at some organizations but some don’t take prescription meds and others say that they don’t take expired meds.  I figure expired meds are better then no meds, considering the situation.  I also wouldn’t want them to give them to someone not already on the medication.  

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

On 4/18/2022 at 1:56 AM, Superwoman said:

Do you know how and where to donate medicine to in Ukraine?  I have some old psychiatric medication that I would donate to Ukraine but I don’t know how.  I looked at some organizations but some don’t take prescription meds and others say that they don’t take expired meds.  I figure expired meds are better then no meds, considering the situation.  I also wouldn’t want them to give them to someone not already on the medication.  

Hi Superwoman, it's nice that you want to help people in Ukraine. I guess all you can do is contact humanitarian organizations in your country and ask them about it, but it looks like you are already doing that. I don't know of any other way. However, I can assure you that the situation in most places is not so dire anymore, humanitarian help (including medical) arrives every day from many countries, and generally people can get what they need, with the exception of occupied or besieged cities and villages. I hope this information comforts you a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 6:14 PM, HopefulHedgehog said:

Hi Superwoman, it's nice that you want to help people in Ukraine. I guess all you can do is contact humanitarian organizations in your country and ask them about it, but it looks like you are already doing that. I don't know of any other way. However, I can assure you that the situation in most places is not so dire anymore, humanitarian help (including medical) arrives every day from many countries, and generally people can get what they need, with the exception of occupied or besieged cities and villages. I hope this information comforts you a little bit.

Thanks HopefulHedgehog, that does make me feel better.  I can’t imagine being in a war on top of withdrawal.  I am so glad you got out and are safe now!  The whole world is rooting for Ukraine!  

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779