SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Bobbo22: New To Forum

Bobbo22

Hello,

I am Bobbo22 new here to this forum. I have been a sufferer of Panic and Anxiety for a long time. I recently tapered off of 60mg of Cymbalta I did it in a five month period. I went off of it completely on July 1,2012. I am feeling kind of anxious and panicky for the last few days. I was on the medication for 6 months but felt that the side effects out wade the help it was pervading. I thought that after 20 days off I would start to feel better with each passing day. My symptoms are off balance,agitation,and feel that I am going back to the way I felt prior to taking the medication. I plan on staying the course would like some feedback and maybe some help with options.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Bobbo!

I am sure Alto, or another more experienced member will come along soon - but your story sounds very similar to lots of people here. It seems that the anxiety/panicky feelings often don't emerge immediately. 6 months is a pretty fast taper.

It would probably be best to reinstate cymbalta and, once stable, begin a slower reduction - at 10% of your dose each month.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Hello, Bobbo, welcome to SurvivingAntidepressants.org.

When people go off an antidepressant too fast, they can get symptoms like anxiety, sleeplessness, agitation, deep sadness, etc. These withdrawal symptoms are often misdiagnosed as a return of the original condition, or a new psychiatric disorder.

Cymbalta can be very difficult to withdraw from. Five months of tapering may not have been enough time for your nervous system to accommodate to the absence of the medication.

What a lot of people have found helpful is to open a capsule and take some of the beads, perhaps 5 or 10 of them. (This worked for MrAnxious.) If this works, you can stabilize your nervous system by taking this small amount for about a month, and then taper gradually bead by bead.

It's better to do this, to let your nervous system down gradually, then to see if you can wait out withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms show your nervous system is injured, they can get a lot worse and take a very long time to recover from.

Do you have any Cymbalta capsules left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I did take out the beads I would take out eight every two weeks. I have been doing this since February. I took an Iodine pill yesterday my doctor thinks that my thyroid may be the problem. She also has given me quite afew supplements for my stomach probiotics. I see that there is an ingredient called cats claw in one of them. I thought I did a slow taper was feeling ok while coming off of the drug.

• Administrator

Bobbo, you did a good job tapering, but all nervous systems are different. Yours may be telling you the taper may have been a little too fast.

If you went back on, say 6 beads of Cymbalta, and your symptoms went away, you can more gradually taper off, which would be good for your nervous system.

If trying a bit of Cymbalta doesn't work, nothing lost.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

So you are saying that to try 6 beads of cymbalta? I am here because you have heard it all but do you think that the herbs could have trigger something? It seams that I took that supplement yesterday and Today I am feeling this way.

• Administrator

Withdrawal from a psych drug can make your nervous system hypersensitive to all kinds of things, including herbs. They're made of chemicals, too.

If any supplement makes you feel funny, reduce it or stop taking it.

If your symptoms are from Cymbalta withdrawal, taking a little bit probably will make them go away.

Yesterday I wrote my first post but when my wife came home and read it she said that I didn't include enough of my history.

As a child I experienced a few traumas that I would say caused anxiety in my life. Although I had this anxiety I was able to function as far as holding down a job, playing sports,and was able to meet and make friends.

I started to have some trouble with growing anxiety as my positions changed with my job. With each promotion came more responsibilities and more stress.

I went to see a counselor who referred me to a psychiatrist that diagnosed me with general anxiety disorder and put me on Zoloft and Klonipin. I stayed on these two medications for about two years and was able to come off of them both with no problems as far as withdrawal was concerned.

After my next job change I went to my general physician and asked him for something to take the edge off he gave me klonipin and I was on .5 mg once a day in the morning. I was fine although I still had panic I would be able to go out to social events have a few drinks and would have a good time.

In July of 2010 I retired from my job of 39 years and although not working enjoyed my summer off.

I then noticed that I wanted to see why after leaving my stressful job did I still have anxiety? I went to a Homeopathic doctor who tested me with a rod in my hand (kinesiology) and said my problem was mercury on my brain and that I did not need the klonipin and that I should cut the .5 in half and stop taking in after two weeks.

I kept going once a week to him and he would give me remedies that he would make up and I would put under my tung. After a short while I was feeling bad I had electric feeling in my whole body and panic like I never had before and told him that and he said it was withdrawal and I would get over it soon.

I didn't I had gotten so bad I could not sleep I even felt that I wasn't sure that I wanted to live that I had to beg him for a prescription and he gave me Xanax.

I a person who loved my life was always happy was nowwas in total turmoil. I told him that I did not want to continue his therapy and he got angry and call me at 9:00pm at night and said that I was a very sick man and that I should not stop the treatment, and if I did he could only wish me good luck.

I was devastated I had to turn to the psychiatrist that first prescribed me the meds my first go round. He said that he did not believe that I had mercury on my brain and that I now had a classic case of depression.

He tried to put me back on Zoloft by for some reason I could not tolerate it so he prescribed Cymbalta. I took the Cymbalta 30mg then 60mg along with klonipin. I now am off of the Cymbalta for 21 days taking the last 8 beads July 1st.

I cut back on the Klonipin about a week or two before I finished the Cymbalta taper. I was doing ok the brain zaps were present and I felt foggy but I went to work at a part time job that I took last September.

I started seeing a doctor who now practices naturopath medicine and she has been giving me supplements to help me with my withdrawal of the medications.

She is very conservative she has told me to take a multivitamin and Taurine,Inositol, and Fish oi and probioticsl. I was ok until yesterday when I felt like the bottom fell out.

I also took for the first time an Iodine tablet for my Thyroid I hope that didn't set me back? I have been tested for mercury and all heavy metals and take Pectosol chelate and I have no heavy metals in my body.

Well this is my story I am hoping that I could get some help here in this forum. I appreciate the feedback from yesterdays post but I needed to tell the whole story. Thank you.

Edited by Altostrata
added line breaks
  • Administrator

Bobbo, please put paragraph breaks in long posts, it makes them easier to read and understand.

I kept going once a week to him and he would give me remedies that he would make up and I would put under my tung. After a short while I was feeling bad I had electric feeling in my whole body and panic like I never had before and told him that and he said it was withdrawal and I would get over it soon.

I didn't I had gotten so bad I could not sleep I even felt that I wasn't sure that I wanted to live that I had to beg him for a prescription and he gave me Xanax.

Thanks for telling us this. You may have benzo withdrawal syndrome as a backdrop to your present condition.

I told him that I did not want to continue his therapy and he got angry and call me at 9:00pm at night and said that I was a very sick man and that I should not stop the treatment, and if I did he could only wish me good luck.

This was utterly inappropriate. You should complain to your state medical board or whatever state board licensed this "doctor."

He tried to put me back on Zoloft by for some reason I could not tolerate it so he prescribed Cymbalta. I took the Cymbalta 30mg then 60mg along with klonipin. I now am off of the Cymbalta for 21 days taking the last 8 beads July 1st.

How long did you take Cymbalta? Did it help your symptoms?

I cut back on the Klonipin about a week or two before I finished the Cymbalta taper. I was doing ok the brain zaps were present and I felt foggy but I went to work at a part time job that I took last September.

Those are Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

I started seeing a doctor who now practices naturopath medicine and she has been giving me supplements to help me with my withdrawal of the medications.

She is very conservative she has told me to take a multivitamin and Taurine,Inositol, and Fish oi and probioticsl. I was ok until yesterday when I felt like the bottom fell out.

To our knowledge, there is no supplement program that can cure withdrawal syndrome. Supplements can help boost general health, but if your system has been sensitized by withdrawal, some can exacerbate withdrawal symptoms.

Suggest you stop inositol and see if you feel better.

I also took for the first time an Iodine tablet for my Thyroid I hope that didn't set me back? I have been tested for mercury and all heavy metals and take Pectosol chelate and I have no heavy metals in my body.

Why did you take an iodine tablet?

As far as we know, heavy metals have nothing whatsoever to do with withdrawal syndrome.

Bobbo, unfortunately neither psychiatrists nor alternative practitioners know anything about withdrawal syndrome, for the most part.

My guess is you have both benzo withdrawal and antidepressant withdrawal. If I were you, I'd try taking 6 beads of Cymbalta and cut back on the supplements.

• Administrator

How did the doctor determine your thyroid was low?

The doctor tested me for the heavy metals and Thyroid. The metals came back ok but my Thyroid was low. This is why she put me on Iodine. I have not taken it since and yesterday I felt good but Today Monday I feel panicky and totally off balance.

• Administrator

There are very specific blood tests for thyroid function, which your doctor should share with you.

If you feel better without the iodine, don't take it.

Did you take a little Cymbalta to help with your symptoms?

• Administrator

The doctor should test thyroid antibodies. If you have thyroid antibodies you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and you can swing between hypo (low) and hyper (high). If you have Hashi's then Idodine is not a good treatment for you.

Check out this thread for some more information http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1593-thyroid-symptoms/

Best advice is to get copies of your labs, educate yourself about thyroid disease and advocate for your best treatment.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

I then noticed that I wanted to see why after leaving my stressful job did I still have anxiety? I went to a Homeopathic doctor who tested me with a rod in my hand (kinesiology) and said my problem was mercury on my brain and that I did not need the klonipin and that I should cut the .5 in half and stop taking in after two weeks.

Wow, what a rude Homeopath. I'll tell you, as someone that is a strong advocate of Homeopathy and have used it for 20 years, I've noticed that a lot of Homeopath have some kind of ego problem. Also, when dealing with Antidepressant withdrawals, a majority of Homeopaths do the worse thing they could do; make their own remedy out of the antidepressant (or benzo). I'll post here what I wrote at my website about this. If you decide to give Homeopathy a try on your own without homemade remedies, just check out my website for advice (in my signature). I'm glad you found this site. It will help more than anything. The support is priceless. I just want you to know that we do get through and get back to normal. Good luck!

... many Homeopaths from the start will simply want to make a remedy out of the antidepressant. This does not work for antidepressants and only makes symptoms worse. This is called Isopathy. It is essentially "the hair of the dog" kind of thinking. It does not work and should always be a last resort for any situation. However, many Homeopaths want to try it from the start. If a Homeopath does not go over your symptoms with you from the start, which could take some time, then they are not the Homeopath for you. Or, you can simply tell them that you know that Isopathy does not work for antidepressant withdrawals. The reason it doesn't work is that we are still having to take doses of the antidepressant to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Therefore, making a remedy out of the antidepressant actually remedies the good benefits we're getting from the antidepressant (the small amount of antidepressant we're taking during taper is preventing w/d symptoms). If it weren't so, we'd just be able to stop taking antidepressants and forget tapering altogether! So please, tell your Homeopath; no Isopathy.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro