IrisS: Father's after effects of antidepressants for 78 years old man

IrisS

Hello,

I am writing for my father who is 78 years old (living in Germany).

One year ago he was in hospital for depressions and suicidal thoughts. He stayed for about 2 months. After coming home, he continued medications for another month before stopping them altogether (almost from one day to the next, without help from a doctor).

So, he had taken for about 3 months (from the beginning of February until the beginning of May 2021):

Milnacipran

Mirtazapine

Oxazepam

Furthermore folic acid, Movicol (for digestion) and vitamin B12.

He had many side effects: strong fatigue (was in bed almost all the time), total weakness (almost unable to walk), strong ataxia, total lack of will, no appetite (lost about 16 kg) and even personality changes.

Today, about 10 months after stopping the medications, he still has after-effects: fatigue, weakness and ataxia. The ataxia continues all day and is really nasty. He says it comes from the back, but also concerns the limbs. When he walks, it is not stable, and there is dizziness. When he talks, he often stammers, and is tired and exhausted all the time. It has not improved in the last months, and several doctors weren’t able to help. Homeopathy has improved the general condition, but not the ataxia. The depressions are better now, however, he is not in a great mood.

Before all that, he was a very healthy and robust person. He did many things in the house and garden, renovation, cycling etc. Health problems were rare and never lasted for a long time.

Is it normal to have such symptoms even 10 months after stopping antidepressants? For me this seems to be a long time, as he had taken them for 3 months. What could we do?

Thank you very much.

Edited by ChessieCat

Milnacipran
Mirtazapine
Oxazepam

Took these products for about 3 months, from the beginning of February until the beginning of May 2021, then stopped altogether, almost from one day to the next, without the help of a doctor

• ChessieCat changed the title to IrisS: After-effects of antidepressants for 78 years old man
  • ChessieCat changed the title to IrisS: Father's after effects of antidepressants for 78 years old man
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, IrisS.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

Unfortunately, withdrawal can last a very long time. The fact that he's seeing some improvement from depression is a good sign.

Since he's been off psychiatric drugs for 10 months, reinstatement is likely not an option.

Is your father taking any other drugs or any supplements? If so, please list them. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

He may want to add in one of these supplements at a time and at a low dose and see if that helps. 

If your father is comfortable using a computer, he's more than welcome to join us and ask questions, too. 

Thank you very much.

I hadn't thought that the withdrawal could take so much time, as he had taken the antidepressants only for 3 months. So we will certainly have to be more patient then ...

The medication he takes at the moment: Aspirin (75 mg/day) for blood flow and some homeopathic medicine.

I told them to try out magnesium and fish oil, and they will look into it.

Unfortunately my parents do not own or use a computer, so that is my job.

Milnacipran
Mirtazapine
Oxazepam

Took these products for about 3 months, from the beginning of February until the beginning of May 2021, then stopped altogether, almost from one day to the next, without the help of a doctor

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hi Rebecca,

unfortunately it has not improved yet ...

He is very unhappy about that.

Did you find something that helps?

I hope you will soon get better.

Milnacipran
Mirtazapine
Oxazepam

This will soon be one year since he stopped the antidepressants, and no improvements of the ataxia and desequilibrium yet.

How many months have you been off the antidepressants now?

Milnacipran
Mirtazapine
Oxazepam