LouB: Need help with very high blood pressure in protracted withdrawal

LouB

Hi everybody, This is my first SA post. Thank you for all the incredible work you do. I hope my signature shows up at the bottom of the page, if not I'll have to figure it out!

I'm 4 plus years into protracted venlafaxine withdrawal, which I'm sure I don't need to explain to you has been horrific, years 0-2 the hardest by far. I wish I had reinstated early on, but I was advised that this could make things worse so I toughed it out, and maybe this was the right advice. Anyhow I'm here now, and feel like I'm getting closer to healing although who knows how long till I get there completely.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had high blood pressure during withdrawal and had it treated successfully (or unsuccessfully) I had low/normal blood pressure before withdrawal started, but it has been extremely high at times through the past 4 years, worse during a wave, up to 190/120 recorded. Whenever I’ve had it checked out by my doctor the 24 hour readings come back as borderline high on average.

Recently although I feel much less affected by the adrenaline type symptoms and more fatigued, slowed, cog foggy, my blood pressure seems to be more consistently high. My GP wants to start me on medication (labetolol as we are trying for a baby - at 42 I can’t afford to wait until this is over). I’m so scared, the last thing I want to do is start another pharmaceutical medication, my hope was not to have to take anything ever again! But my BP last night was 180/110 and I also don’t want to have a stroke or a heart attack (this runs in my family). When I look up online beta blockers seem to have their own withdrawal syndrome (looks less severe than venlafaxine w/d but still pretty crap), which is obviously the last thing I f****g want, having slogged my way through hell and high water to get this far through protracted venlafaxine withdrawal.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about high BP in withdrawal, or anyone who has started any BP meds in W/d and how they found them. I could do with some reassurance big time as I feel like I’m just falling into the same trap as when I started the antidepressant all over again. Also taking meds to manage the withdrawal from other meds just feels abhorrent. But Baylissa always says we get doctor phobic in withdrawal so I don’t know if I’m being balanced about this. Thanks ❤️

May 2011- January 2013 Citalopram

January 2013 - switched to Venlafaxine XR

2015 stopped Venlafaxine too quickly - w/d symptoms

Restarted Venlafaxine 150mg after one week

June 2016 reduced to 75mg

July 2017 reduced to 37.5mg and attempted to switch to Venlafaxine IR to assist taper, destabilising effect on nervous system so restarted venlafaxine XR 37.5mg after a few doses of IR as getting inter-dose withdrawals

October 2017 stopped venlafaxine completely Attempted to use fluoxetine as bridge medication, stopped few days later as side effects

Over 4 years protracted withdrawal 2017 - current

2nd Intro topic LouB: Need help with very high blood pressure in protracted withdrawal

New info from ***** onwards.

Hi everybody, This is my first SA post. Thank you for all the incredible work you do. I hope my signature shows up at the bottom of the page, if not I'll have to figure it out! 

I'm 4 plus years into protracted venlafaxine withdrawal, which I'm sure I don't need to explain to you has been horrific, years 0-2 the hardest by far. I wish I had reinstated early on, but I was advised that this could make things worse so I toughed it out, and maybe this was the right advice. Anyhow I'm here now, and feel like I'm getting closer to healing although who knows how long till I get there completely.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had high blood pressure during withdrawal and had it treated successfully (or unsuccessfully) I had low/normal blood pressure before withdrawal started, but it has been extremely high at times through the past 4 years, worse during a wave, up to 190/120 recorded. Whenever I’ve had it checked out by my doctor the 24 hour readings come back as borderline high on average.

Recently although I feel much less affected by the adrenaline type symptoms and more fatigued, slowed, cog foggy, my blood pressure seems to be more consistently high. My GP wants to start me on medication (labetolol as we are trying for a baby - at 42 I can’t afford to wait until this is over). I’m so scared, the last thing I want to do is start another pharmaceutical medication, my hope was not to have to take anything ever again! But my BP last night was 180/110 and I also don’t want to have a stroke or a heart attack (this runs in my family). When I look up online beta blockers seem to have their own withdrawal syndrome (looks less severe than venlafaxine w/d but still pretty crap), which is obviously the last thing I f****g want, having slogged my way through hell and high water to get this far through protracted venlafaxine withdrawal.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about high BP in withdrawal, or anyone who has started any BP meds in W/d and how they found them. I could do with some reassurance big time as I feel like I’m just falling into the same trap as when I started the antidepressant all over again. Also taking meds to manage the withdrawal from other meds just feels abhorrent. But Baylissa always says we get doctor phobic in withdrawal so I don’t know if I’m being balanced about this. Thanks ❤️

2015 stopped Venlafaxine too quickly - w/d symptoms

July 2017 reduced to 37.5mg and attempted to switch to Venlafaxine IR to assist taper, destabilising effect on nervous system so restarted venlafaxine XR 37.5mg after a few doses of IR as getting inter-dose withdrawals

October 2017 stopped venlafaxine completely Attempted to use fluoxetine as bridge medication, stopped few days later as side effects

(Please Note:  Following text was deitalicized by CC for easier reading)

In hindsight had adverse reaction to original citalopram in 2011 which led to me ending my LTR, significantly compounding my difficulties and the feeling there was something ‘wrong’ with me. Only just piecing it all together now. Was unaware of harm reduction tapering method for venlafaxine XL capsules until 4 years into my withdrawal, sadly too late to reinstate. Oh and I'm a psychiatrist, just shows how deep the misinformation and lack of research into risks goes - I had no idea about harm reduction tapering or that withdrawal symptoms could last more than 4 weeks. Now no longer working as a prescriber as would hate to harm anyone the way I've been harmed.

Withdrawal symptoms: Insomnia, Derealisation / depersonalisation, Dry eyes, Swollen lips, Disorientation, Dizziness, fear / terror, Emotional dysregulation, Nausea, Sinus headaches, Urinary frequency, Pain on urinating, Diarrhoea, Exercise insensitivity, Body overheating, Cold sensitivity, Flu like symps - shivering teeth chattering hot and cold, Abdominal pulse, Heart palpitations, BP very high, Kidneys affected - proteinuria, Nightmares, Heart pounding in the night, Sweating in the night, Lethargy, Sensitivity to alcohol, caffeine, sugar, Pressure in chest / constricted breathing (hand on throat), Weight loss, Loss of appetite, Jaw tension, Thrush, Frequent infections, Sensitivity to noise, Find city frightening (nature soothing), Sensitivity to light and temp, Fear of travel, Fear of busy places / shops, Fear of dark, Fear of being alone (monophobia), Naps making symptoms worse, Waking up gasping / with a jolt ever y 5 mins (esp in springtime), Worse symptoms in winter, Worse symptoms on grey days, Worse when had coil put in, Worse when the seasons change (days shortening or lengthening fast), Being off my head, Manic (early days), Deep sense that everyone I know and love is going to die imminently and that life is meaningless, Crying all the time, Really ill and panicky day after separated from partner,, Brain throwing up looping images of places from my past, often with a painful association, Looping anxious thoughts, Vertigo, Heavy head, Limbs like lead, Feelings of impending doom, Fatigue, Cognitive Fogging, Memory problems

Withdrawal coping tools: Meditation, CBT-ing my fear induced thoughts, walking in nature, Pranayama, gentle yoga, swimming outside, watching cartoons, talking to ever patient best friend / mother / boyfriend, journalling, watching Baylissa webinars, personal development, Cranio-sacral therapy, counselling

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic/deitalicised

2015 stopped Venlafaxine too quickly - w/d symptoms

July 2017 reduced to 37.5mg and attempted to switch to Venlafaxine IR to assist taper, destabilising effect on nervous system so restarted venlafaxine XR 37.5mg after a few doses of IR as getting inter-dose withdrawals

October 2017 stopped venlafaxine completely Attempted to use fluoxetine as bridge medication, stopped few days later as side effects

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Congratulations for getting off of venlafaxine! Did you go off cold turkey or taper?  I'm sorry that this has caused ongoing issues for you.  It sounds like you have a lot of good coping skills in your toolbox. It sounds as though you've been having gradual improvements, which is good.   What symptoms are you having now?  What you describe above sounds like classic withdrawal from psych meds to me.  

Thanks for giving your drug history.  Are you currently on any drugs or supplements?  If so, please update your drug history, thanks.  I will copy it into your signature box, so that it is automatically included with each post.  

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why recovery can take so long.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are recovering from withdrawal.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Finally, I'll get to the point you asked about - blood pressure.  I haven't had any blood pressure issues, but here is a link to a thread about blood pressure as it relates to psych meds and withdrawal: 

High Blood Pressure From the Drug or Withdrawal

And, you can do a site search on "blood pressure" using the search option to try and find other people who have had these issues: 

How to Do a Site Search

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Take your time to read through it as you can, and please let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly