KSW54: venlafaxine tapering and Withdrawal

KSW54

I was on venlafaxine for 5 years at 37.5mg. I decided it was time to go off of it as I was ready to start a family. I talked with my doctor in September and she tapered me off using the every other day method in a couple weeks just quitting. I experience a couple days of feeling brain zaps and brain fog but was then doing OK. Fast forward two months and I started experience shortness of breath non stop. I never had any panic attack issues before going on the drug but the shortness of breath quickly turned into nightly panic attacks while trying to go to sleep. I go to bed at 10 and experience a surge of adrenaline that lasts until about 4 am. I am then sleeping 4-6am and waking up and doing it all over again. I am now getting panic attacks around the thought of going to bed knowing I will get the surge of adrenaline and not sleep. Trying to stay positive and hope things start going back to normal soon but not sure what my next steps in healing will look like. 

May 2016-September 2021 Effexor 37.5 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to KSW54: venlafaxine tapering and Withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  It sounds as if your doctor tapered you off way too fast, and your nervous system didn't have time to slowly adjust as your got off the drug, and now you are having withdrawal.  I've read many stories of people who got off, were OK for 2-3 months, then had problems.  I'm sorry that you are going through this.  There is hope and healing. 

Can you please give us specific information in your signature about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it's so important to taper slowly and carefully: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

You may benefit from a small reinstatement, the purpose of which is to ease and reduce your withdrawal symptoms. This is best done very carefully.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this.  There is some risk involved, and we need more specifics about your drug history before we can suggest a good dose at which to reinstate.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've given you quite a bit of information here. Please let us know whether or not you decide to do the reinstatement.  If you decide to do it, we will suggest a reinstatement dose.  Keep in touch, and let us know how you are doing.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you, I have added my signature. Unfortunately, reinstatement isn't an option for me due to pregnancy. I did start taking magnesium and omega 3s which seem to help a little bit. Hoping my brain will eventually go back to normal. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand.  I'm glad to hear the supplements are helping.  Yes, you will eventually recover from this, but it will probably be very gradual.  Keep us posted. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 6 months later...

Need hope

I ended my taper in September 2021. The main symptoms I had were insomnia. Every time I would go to fall asleep I would get a huge adrenaline rush as other people have mentioned. The last 4 months I was 95% back to normal with only slight sleep issues. Fast forward to last week when my doctor had me start taking baby aspirin for pregnancy issues and the adrenaline issue is back full force. I am so scared to go through this again not knowing when and if it will get better. It is so hard to get up and go to work off 1 hour of sleep or no sleep. I am at a loss of what to do or who can even help me. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Mentor

Hello, KSW. Looks like your taper was more of a CT.  I think it would be important to add your post above to your main introductory thread. That way, it’s more likely to be seen by the moderators, who may be able to give you some advice for your particular situation.

Just a note of comfort: I too go through something similar. It was much worse in the beginning, but it does gradually improve. Pay attention to what you consume, as that often is what causes mine to return. Things like certain foods, vitamins, OTC meds, alcohol, etc. Understanding that it’s not an indication that something terrible is about to happen in your body is key. Your body is just sensitized because of your super rapid taper.

I understand that there are certain things you must take during pregnancy. Perhaps you can talk to your dr about alternatives. But, are you 100% sure it’s the aspirin causing the issue? Could be other things, even hormones, which go all over the place during pregnancy. 

When I’ve had spells of this pop up, they have eventually gone away every single time. Sometimes they last a few days, other times a few weeks. But, they have always gone away.

Edited by FindRest

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

14 minutes ago, FindRest said:

Hello, KSW. Looks like your taper was more of a CT.  I think it would be important to add your post above to your main introductory thread. That way, it’s more likely to be seen by the moderators, who may be able to give you some advice for your particular situation.

Just a note of comfort: I too go through something similar. It was much worse in the beginning, but it does gradually improve. Pay attention to what you consume, as that often is what causes mine to return. Things like certain foods, vitamins, OTC meds, alcohol, etc. Understanding that it’s not an indication that something terrible is about to happen in your body is key. Your body is just sensitized because of your super rapid taper.

I understand that there are certain things you must take during pregnancy. Perhaps you can talk to your dr about alternatives. But, are you 100% sure it’s the aspirin causing the issue? Could be other things, even hormones, which go all over the place during pregnancy. 

When I’ve had spells of this pop up, they have eventually gone away every single time. Sometimes they last a few days, other times a few weeks. But, they have always gone away.

Unfortunately, it was way too fast a taper from my doctor and then it was too late to reinstate. I will never be 100% sure if it was the baby aspirin but it was the only new thing I started. I stopped taking it after 5 days as soon as I noticed it getting worse. Very hard to heal when you aren't sleeping at all but feeling pretty hopeless today. 

• Mentor

I’m sorry about the hopelessness. It’s a terrible feeling. Try to remind yourself that it is a temporary feeling, although, I know that’s hard to do in the middle of it all. 

I just thought of another thing that triggers the increase in adrenaline and what I call “internal vibrations” … MSG. MSG is in so many things we don’t think about … canned soup, chips, oriental food, seasoning mixes, etc. Others on SA have also mentioned MSG causing issues.

Putting light-blocking curtains (can’t remember the official name now) in my bedroom helped with the early morning cortisol spikes, as sunlight helps trigger the morning cortisol to wake you up.

Also here’s a thread with some good sleeping tips. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/25270-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate