SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Moran321: Obtaining prescription for Wellbutrin in Ireland

Moran321

I have been prescribed bupropion 300 mg for depression but so far in pharmacies they only have zyban which is the form

of the drug typically used for smoking cessation. Does anyone know if it is possible to get Wellbutrin in ireland and if so is it expensive/available on medical card? 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Moran321: Obtaining prescription for Wellbutrin in Ireland
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA,

I suggest that you ask your pharmacist for information about what you have been prescribed and what it will cost.

According to this https://www.drugs.com/answers/what-is-the-difference-between-wellbutrin-sr-and-128903.html:

There are several different brands of the drug bupropion on the market including Budeprion, Wellbutrin and Zyban.

Bupropion is used to treat major depressive disorder and seasonal affective disorder and it is also used to help people stop smoking by reducing cravings and other withdrawal effects.

There are no other active ingredients in the differing brands of bupropion.

The only difference is the patient leaflet information. ie Zyban has information on quitting cigarettes and Wellbutrin contains information about depression etc.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

Bupropion, sold under the brand names Wellbutrin and Zyban among others.

There is more information about this drug in Post #1 of this topic.

tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-zyban-buproprion

Please be aware that if you later decide to stop this drug that it will be best to taper it.  It can take as little as 1 month for the brain to fully adapt to getting a psychiatric drug.  After that time, if the drug is taken away too quickly, withdrawal symptoms might be experienced.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management