Hi there, 

I was taking 10-20mg lexapro for 3 years and recently decided to come off. Doctor advised following taper shedule: 2 weeks alternating 10 - 5 mg. 2 weeks on 5mg. 2 weeks skipping alternate days. 2 weeks skipping 2 days and then off. I've been off for 2 weeks now and feeling terrible. Less worried about the emotional symptoms but feeling completely ground down and at my wits end by constant niggly physical symptoms.(headaches, muscle tension, nausea, inability to focus, fatigue, sore glands)  A friend told me that taking fluoxetine temporarily really minimised her withdrawal symptoms. I'm unsure what to do. Did I taper too quickly? And in which case do I go back on a tiny dose or try fluoxetine? Or is it early days and I should be feeling this crap and do I just need to ride it out? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated as its completely limiting my life. 

3 years on lexapro. 

8 weeks to taper. (Which involved skipping alternate days.)

Off for 2 weeks and experiencing terrible physical withdrawal symptoms.

Exploring going back on 0.5mg to manage symptoms.

• Frogie changed the title to Roady:Lexapro withdrawal

@Roady

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site, helping member such as yourself taper off, or have tapered off and now healing from antidepressants and other psychotic medications.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions, and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can you please create a signature. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

We don't suggest a taper higher than 10% a month, and never skip doses. That is why you are now in wd.

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

At this point, I would not suggest you go on fluoxetine. Your body is too sensitized by doing the taper you did. I would suggest you go back on 0.5 mg Lexapro and hold for a while until your symptoms get better, then taper very slowly.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What is withdrawal syndrome?

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on here except 2. You could try one in a small amount, wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you read the links provided, please reach out to us with any questions.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Roady: Lexapro withdrawal

Just some advice regarding administering 0.5mg of escatilopram. I've only ever taken tablets but I know they do 20mg solution. What would be the best way of taking 0.5mg? 

3 years on lexapro. 

8 weeks to taper. (Which involved skipping alternate days.)

Off for 2 weeks and experiencing terrible physical withdrawal symptoms.

Exploring going back on 0.5mg to manage symptoms.

@Roady

If you can get liquid that would be best.

You can also make your own liquid.

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.